Author Topic: Cost of your dream holiday  (Read 5779 times)

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cost of your dream holiday
« on: February 02, 2016, 09:47:38 PM »
Well, there was another thread here regarding an expensive two day holiday offered as a prize.  One poster wrote they would gladly pay the taxes for the prize holiday to visit the Antarctic (me too!).
This leads into my question, my very antimustachian question.   What is your dream holiday and what would you be willing to spend.

Here is mine...sadly sold out.  Would have been 30,000 Canadian (plus spending).
http://www.travelzoo.com/ca/cruises/25-Off-Arctic-Expedition-feat-Astronaut-Chris-Hadfield-2193965/?placement=Top20Redesign-DealImageLink-2193965-13-0-SignUpOB

I had the pleasure if working in Canada's high arctic many moons ago and dream of returning.  It is a trip you cannot do on your own....no people, no roads, no anything....just the most amazing landscape I have ever seen.....it's the thing my dreams are made of.  I told hubby that if we won some money I was booking this holiday.  So fun to read the holiday description as I had been to two of the mentioned locations.  I was so damn lucky....

saving_dutchman

• Stubble
Re: Cost of your dream holiday
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 03:49:47 AM »
Living abroad for a year or longer in New Zealand, Australia or the US. The dream is to combine work and travel. Living and traveling should cost between $1000-2000 a month. I'm a pretty frugal traveler so it should be possible.

A 30k trip to sounds great to me. I don't think I could ever spent that much money knowing I would have to sacrifice a full working year of my life for it. Then again, it does look amazing...

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:44:04 AM »
It would probably be sailing south from the US pacific coast, down through the Panama canal, and then through the Caribbean, ending up somewhere in the southeast, where I would fly back home.

Le Dérisoire

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »
Sailing to Antartica with my family (after I have kids). I intend to do it within the next 12 years.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 01:14:31 PM »
Going to Greece for at least 3 weeks. with most of the time in the Peloponnese and the islands esp Crete. cost, not sure but more money than I have.

xclonexclonex

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 02:14:57 PM »
I am living my dream holiday. I became a permanent resident in the United States, and now I get paid to live here (by working...:p)

I don't feel like going anywhere now, because I just made it to the new world!

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 08:01:16 PM »
Antarctica would be my dream trip too. Every once in a while I window shop the cruises and tours there and they are 10-12k per person and I just sigh....

Someday!

I love to travel and manage to take s lot of really fantastic trips all over the world with my kids. Antarctica is just one of those trips that can't really be done on a shoestring.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 08:52:53 PM »
I would love to see the Galapagos Islands.

Le Dérisoire

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 09:23:34 AM »
Antarctica would be my dream trip too. Every once in a while I window shop the cruises and tours there and they are 10-12k per person and I just sigh....

Someday!

I love to travel and manage to take s lot of really fantastic trips all over the world with my kids. Antarctica is just one of those trips that can't really be done on a shoestring.

I intend to actually live on a sailboat with my family and sail there myself. Many people did it. You just have to know what you are doing. Obviously, it would not be the first place I would go. Living on a sailboat can be much less expensive than living on land (it can also be much more expensive if you are not careful).

You can also sail to Galápagos... or pretty much anywhere.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 09:41:08 AM »
About $1 million - that could support permanent touring with my spouse and child at a 3.5% withdrawal rate. We're working on it!

candygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 03:35:31 PM »
African safari to see the migration.... When I priced it recently it was a depressing $20000 for 2... Maybe one day..

RosieTR

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 05:41:12 PM »
For a single, expensive trip: climbing Denali. Probably $15K per person, including gear I don't yet have.
Equally expensive but the disease risk puts me off: Kilimanjaro.

Sailing we intend to do post-FIRE, but that will likely not cost more than general living for the ame amt of time.

Elisabeth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 06:11:42 PM »
Bendigirl, just come on back! I'm working in the Canadian arctic right now... as you know, it's a win/win with the free travel/adventure and the ridiculously high pay!

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 07:47:49 PM »
Elisabeth, where are you?  I worked on Ellesmere Island, around Bay Fiord in a small fly in camp.  It's all park now, thank goodness.  Worked there as a junior geologist for petro Canada looking for coal and mineral deposits.  I still cannot believe I had that opportunity!  Best summer of my life!
I would happily pay $30,000 to go back....my dream

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 08:01:17 PM »
My honeymoon almost 20 years ago in the British Virgin Islands: http://www.beyc.com/ . We spent about $9k back then IIRC for 10 days, including our bar bill. Not sure if that included airfare. The (in)famous Necker Island is nearby at $10k/day back then. You could have a very similar lifestyle (except for the free food) for much cheaper if you owned in Costa Rica, Belize, or similar location.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 08:43:36 PM »
No idea but as they say, If I have to ask, I can't afford it .
 Dream vacation- Go absolutely  berserk shopping in Tokyo for things I can't get in the US. Pay the cost of shipping it all home, then sell the excess on Ebay. Keep the records well enough to expense the trip and hopefully turn a  profit.

Elisabeth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 09:44:02 PM »
Elisabeth, where are you?  I worked on Ellesmere Island, around Bay Fiord in a small fly in camp.  It's all park now, thank goodness.
Bendigirl, I work as a nurse for fly-in communities in the Kivalliq region. I've been north of the arctic circle, but not as far north as you were! I'd love to keep making my way up to Ellesmere!

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 01:06:45 AM »
I would like to travel once FIRE'd.  Living abroad is about the only way we could feasibly enjoy a trip (we are both introverted and would prefer to enjoy things at a slower pace, on the local level).

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 05:01:31 PM »
In no particular order:

Drive to Alaska, stay in Anchorage and have side trips to Kenai Peninsula, Valdez, drive the Dalton, walk on a glacier, see Northern Lights. Live in Fairbanks and go down steep ice slides with kids. Costs: Made money (wife had travel nurse contact).

Climb Chichen Itza, Altun Ha, and other Mayan pyramids. Cost: Maybe a couple thousand (portion of various cruises, hard to separate out).

Cave tubing in Belize. Cost: Hundreds (cruise)

Visit castles in Spain and Portugal. Cost: Thousands (Trans-Atlantic cruise).

Visit China, see Great Wall*. Cost: Free (had day layover in Beijing).

Visit Hong Kong. Cost: Thousands.

Live in Australia. Visit all the states/territories*, Uluru*, Sydney, see crocodiles in the wild, pet kangaroos, hold koala, visit Great Barrier Reef. Cost to live in Australia: Making money (wife works as midwife here). Additional cost of aforementioned side trips: Thousands (probably over $5k...of course we spent more but I'm trying to separate costs for those things listed).

Visit both New Zealand islands. Cost: Thousands (over 5k for one cruise, close to $1k for a short 2 day trip prior).

Cross country trip stopping at Las Vegas and Grand Canyon. Cost: Free (cost less to drive than fly, ended up buying car in California and selling for a profit in Tennessee). Note that we only had time for breakfast in Vegas and saw Grand Canyon just after sunset, so trip may be repeated (family emergency, had to shorten trip).

Live in England*

African Safari*

Egyptian pyramids*

Antarctica*

Live on boat*, cruise rivers in Eastern US*, cruise Bahamas*

Space**

* - Things I have yet to do, but fully intend to.

** - Probably not going to happen.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:17:23 PM by NumberJohnny5 »

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 08:44:41 PM »
African safari to see the migration.... When I priced it recently it was a depressing $20000 for 2... Maybe one day..
You can do it for less then that. Our safari was less than $3k per person, for 9 days I believe. But we stayed in tents, not those lodges that are insanely expensive. It was awesome. Plus flights though, which was almost $2k/person. This was tanzania. Private driver and chef

That was part of the dream trip we have already taken. Going to mahale and being few feet from wild chimps. That part cost $5k per person, but was a trip of a lifetime
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:47:05 PM by Scandium »

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 09:20:33 PM »
My dream holiday is being able to travel indefinitely or at least very extensively, so basically the cost of FIRE money.

There are many, many places I am keen to visit, including but not limited to: Central America, South America, Galapagos, Madagascar, Easter Island, Japan, South Korea, Greece, Morocco, USA, etc. Also would love to live a few months to 1 year+ in countries like Vietnam and Thailand, and the five "blue zones". For all the destinations I would love to be able to travel at a leisurely pace and take my time to explore the many different cities, towns and villages, and EAT ALL THE THINGS. I haven't really calculated how much each place would cost per month. Getting cheap flights will really help, it's quite pricey to get to some of these places from Australia. I am unlikely to be able to manage to visit all these places but it would be nice. :)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 10:41:08 PM »
Our dream vacation would be to retrace some of my steps from when I was stationed in Italy while building upon that (am a bit better informed since the invention of the Internet).

This time I want to take my family (was a bachelor then). Want to have a decent family size vehicle.

I have no idea what a couple of weeks would cost but I'll guess $10K.

The other trip we'd like to take would be the UK - exploring the whole island, driving all around.

Want to add a layer of expense? Replace the rental vehicle with our old VW Westfalia. Shipping both ways...

Enough wealth and we'd happily slow travel the entire planet.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 10:32:29 AM by Jethrosnose »

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 12:53:31 PM »
Mine is super cheap, backpacking new zealand, all day every day.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!