Author Topic: Retiring Off Investments Will Never Work Again!  (Read 3869 times)

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
Retiring Off Investments Will Never Work Again!
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »
Since the economy is a bit of a mess right now, therefore the economy will always be a mess.

No one will ever be able to invest again.  The stock market will never return even as much as inflation.  Stop saving your money.

Furthermore: the sky is falling; Sauron has the ring; Darth Vader is your father and Emmanuel Goldstein has his troops at our shores.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/the-sad-end-of-saving-and-investing/article4257700/

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: Retiring Off Investments Will Never Work Again!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »
I suspect he's approaching retirement rather soon, as if watching his portfolio like a hawk. Sit back relax it'll all be cool.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 08:06:24 PM »
The author's readers in the middle (the ones he noted as the optimists posting on Facebook) made fine counter points in general.  The author just got more bang for his buck glossing over that and posting an article focusing on this one guy's negativity.  The end of the (investing) world sells.

Come on though, the end of saving?   Even the idea is laughable.

Thanks for sharing.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

sideways8

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
We has the precious.......

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!