Author Topic: Corvette  (Read 19272 times)

Coloradostache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Corvette
« on: May 05, 2014, 01:35:26 PM »
My neighbor bought a brand new vette the other day. Custom plate says "YWEWORK"....really?  For that? 

I'd rather not work and ride my bike!

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
Re: Corvette
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 01:42:43 PM »
Might as well get a private reg sayin SHEEPLEDEBTSLAVE

S0VERE1GN

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 03:01:28 PM »
This reminds me of my favorite joke I've ever said spontaneously

me: "oh look... that guy just found out" (points to guy with corvette)
Friend: "...found out what?"
Me:" That he has a small dick. look, that Corvette is BRAND NEW!"

JohnGalt

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 03:19:30 PM »
My neighbor bought a brand new vette the other day. Custom plate says "YWEWORK"....really?  For that? 

I'd rather not work and ride my bike!

Hey at least he's made that connection.  Granted, I doubt he's really thought the alternative option of not working so he's only getting (the wrong?) half of the equation. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 07:11:12 AM »
Reminds me of a story, long since lost the source.  Canadian fighter pilot being interviewed, walks the reporter out to the parking lot - will give him a ride in his 'vette.  Reporter figures it's a Corvette the fighter pilot is referring to.  Nope - it was a 'vette all right, a Chevette.  Fighter pilot said he was paid to go fast in something dangerous when he was flying, he was not being paid to go fast in something dangerous on his own time, so he didn't.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 12:15:46 PM »
I occasionally wonder about the marketing teams of products like vettes and Harleys. Now, I would rather bitch slap a rattlesnake, than buy either one, but apparently the latest vettes are enormously capable machines that are a fraction of the cost of their "super car" competitors. So, GM eventually reaches a point where they are building a true, world class performance car. Yet, painfully, they are saddled with a real life demographic of late middle age to elderly douche bags, with blow dried comb-overs, sitting next to trophy wives with fake boobs and Joan Rivers grade face jobs, topped with a 1/4" layer of face paint, troweled over the whole mess.
Now Imagine you are the marketing guru charged with getting the Ferrari and Porsche drivers to give you a shot...........that must suck, eh?

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 12:38:26 PM »
I occasionally wonder about the marketing teams of products like vettes... ...apparently the latest vettes are enormously capable machines that are a fraction of the cost of their "super car" competitors. So, GM eventually reaches a point where they are building a true, world class performance car... ...Now Imagine you are the marketing guru charged with getting the Ferrari and Porsche drivers to give you a shot...........that must suck, eh?

I'll cut you some slack since you're obviously not a "car guy," but the Corvette has been a performance bargain for some time now (17ish years... since the C5 Corvette was introduced in 1997), recognized by much of the car community as the best high performance "bang for your buck" available. This latest iteration is certainly another step up, though.

GM doesn't really advertise the Corvette in the traditional sense. They don't have to... and they're not really competing with Ferrari (at all) or Porsche (maybe somewhat). Different market share, for the most part.

I'm not really a GM or Corvette fan, so I like to think that the above opinions are unbiased.

I know nothing about motorcycles, so I can't comment on Harleys.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 02:18:44 PM »

I'll cut you some slack since you're obviously not a "car guy," but the Corvette has been a performance bargain for some time now (17ish years... since the C5 Corvette was introduced in 1997), recognized by much of the car community as the best high performance "bang for your buck" available. This latest iteration is certainly another step up, though.

Much more of a car guy than you assume. I'm well aware the overall performance of the last several generations of the product, and particularly impressed with the new Z06. This doesn't change the fact that a significant percentage of their target audience wouldn't even think of being seen in one, and find them to be as desirable as jacked up diesel "bro-dozer" pick-ups, and Buick's that pretend to be Lexuses. My guess it that the radical styling departure of the C7 is, by some measure, a calculated effort to alienate the blow dry, AARP crowd.

GM doesn't really advertise the Corvette in the traditional sense. They don't have to... and they're not really competing with Ferrari (at all) or Porsche (maybe somewhat). Different market share, for the most part.

“The new Z06 delivers levels of performance, technology and design that rival the most exotic supercars in the world,” says Mark Reuss, president of General Motors North America.

Sounds like GM disagrees.

I'm not really a GM or Corvette fan, so I like to think that the above opinions are unbiased.

I know nothing about motorcycles, so I can't comment on Harleys.

Harley is a more extreme version of marketing to a crowd that really doesn't have a bright future. Ageing dads and grand pappies, dressing like pirates and pretending to be Billy Badass, is currently a profitable nitch market. Unfortunately, much like Oldsmobile and Buick struggled with, a customer base that is heading for nursing homes and dying. If trend lines continue, it won't be long until the adult diaper companies start handing out free samples at the big bike rallies.

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »

The sad part is the neighbor could go out and buy a nice looking 2001 vette for 10k and get pretty much the same fun and enjoyment out of it for a year or two and then sell it for 9k.  He already lost much more than that this last week during the life of this thread.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 02:45:31 PM »
I saw three convertibles yesterday (a BMW, a Miata, and a mini cooper, I think it was, no Corvettes), all with the tops down now that it is finally spring here.  Years ago I would have thought Cool.  Now I think - naw, no place for the dog, let alone groceries or building supplies or bags of compost.  I felt so old and practical  ;-)

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 03:15:45 PM »
Much more of a car guy than you assume.

Sorry for assuming incorrectly; the language of your original post made it sound like you just found out that the Corvette was a performance bargain, so I assumed that you were a "normal person" :)

“The new Z06 delivers levels of performance, technology and design that rival the most exotic supercars in the world,” says Mark Reuss, president of General Motors North America.

Sounds like GM disagrees.
Perhaps; I see it differently:

Just because GM is comparing the Vette with exotics doesn't mean that they expect to take market share away. People that can afford a Ferrari and want a Ferrari will buy a Ferrari (or whatever other "exotic supercar" they like... and I don't consider a Porsche to be exotic). They aren't going to be lured away by a Chevy because it doesn't have exclusivity.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 06:33:17 PM »
I saw three convertibles yesterday (a BMW, a Miata, and a mini cooper, I think it was, no Corvettes), all with the tops down now that it is finally spring here.  Years ago I would have thought Cool.  Now I think - naw, no place for the dog, let alone groceries or building supplies or bags of compost.  I felt so old and practical  ;-)

I think of rollovers these days.

The_Dude

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 07:07:18 PM »
Mustache wannabe coming out of the closet here...

I'm a "car guy" and the Corvette Z06 would be my dream car.  I doubt I will ever own one due to my Mustachian tendencies but damn I want one.   I'm not sure I would want one quite as much for just transportation but since I attend "track days" as much as I can I would love to have one.

My substitute would also be considered Mustachian wall of shame worthy.

I also own a Harley (bought one when I was 21) and it is my daily commuter for when I don't ride my bicycle to work.

I did sell my boat today...

/carry on with the corvette bashing.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 07:32:02 PM »
I wouldn't consider a Porsche Boxster exotic.  I feel the GT3 that passed me last week is an exotic. 

Then again a Lingenfelter seems an exotic too.

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 08:40:34 PM »
I wouldn't buy a new corvette, but I sure like driving my 68 bigblock.   

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 08:57:52 PM »

I don't think anyone's bashing them... I think they're pretty neat despite my general ambivalence toward GM products.

I wouldn't consider a Porsche Boxster exotic.  I feel the GT3 that passed me last week is an exotic. 

Yeah, that's kinda how I feel too. In the same way, I see the Nissan GTR as an exotic.

Then again a Lingenfelter seems an exotic too.

I can see that... a RUF is exotic to me, even if a base Carrera isn't.

I wouldn't buy a new corvette, but I sure like driving my 68 bigblock.

Very nice!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:02:10 PM by Winston »

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 08:17:18 AM »
If I were to buy an impractical vehicle, the GT-R would be very high on the list.😀

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 10:04:38 AM »
Enjoy your geek-out gentlemen!
Convo recently with my man:
He: Oh man, I got a ride home with one of my co-workers. He has a Hemi Charger.
Me: Um...hemi of what?
He: What? Come on! A HEMI! How do you not know? A HEMI!
Me: Shouting it doesn't change the fact that I have no idea what you are talking about.

Maybe I'll send him over here...

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 10:39:20 AM »
Me: Shouting it doesn't change the fact that I have no idea what you are talking about.

Fun fact regarding the "Hemi" label.  All it refers to is the way a part of the engine is shaped.  My 1988 Chevy Sprint Metro had an engine with a hemispherical head design.  It was also a 3-cylinder, 1.0L displacement, 46 horsepower engine that could be lifted out of the car by one person, and did 0-60 in something like 20 seconds.  If I ever get another one, I'll probably put a "Hemi" sticker on the back just to confuse people.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »

Fun fact regarding the "Hemi" label.  All it refers to is the way a part of the engine is shaped.  My 1988 Chevy Sprint Metro had an engine with a hemispherical head design.  It was also a 3-cylinder, 1.0L displacement, 46 horsepower engine that could be lifted out of the car by one person, and did 0-60 in something like 20 seconds.  If I ever get another one, I'll probably put a "Hemi" sticker on the back just to confuse people.

Thanks. I should have made it clear, hubby did not hesitate to "school" me on what a hemi is. Of course, he had to start with "efficiency of the combustion stroke" and strict engine tooling tolerences or some such, but eventually I (sort of) understood. He still mourns his high school canary yellow 1968 Camaro.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 11:05:57 AM »

Thanks. I should have made it clear, hubby did not hesitate to "school" me on what a hemi is. Of course, he had to start with "efficiency of the combustion stroke" and strict engine tooling tolerences or some such, but eventually I (sort of) understood. He still mourns his high school canary yellow 1968 Camaro.
And I'll always mourn my 1988 slow econobox without airbags.  Different strokes.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 11:21:52 AM »
Mustache wannabe coming out of the closet here...

I'm a "car guy" and the Corvette Z06 would be my dream car.  I doubt I will ever own one due to my Mustachian tendencies but damn I want one.   I'm not sure I would want one quite as much for just transportation but since I attend "track days" as much as I can I would love to have one.

My substitute would also be considered Mustachian wall of shame worthy.

I also own a Harley (bought one when I was 21) and it is my daily commuter for when I don't ride my bicycle to work.

I did sell my boat today...

You'd be a fan of the Z06 until you had to bring it in to replace something. Or get stranded with a flat tire, and no spare. Or...

Truth is, as cool as they are, there are much more affordable cars that will make you smile just as much. They just don't have the "appeal" that a new, shiny Z06 has.

A properly done Miata with an LS1 swap will easily keep up with most Corvettes.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 11:34:56 AM »
I want an older Corvette, but (and here's where I out myself as really weird) with the V8 Diesel from a Silverado truck swapped in. 40+ MPG and 600+ ft-lbs of torque. I'd probably end up spending more on rear tires than on fuel...!

(In reality, I'm much more likely to get a sub-$5000 Miata.)

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 11:52:29 AM »
If I ever get another one, I'll probably put a "Hemi" sticker on the back just to confuse people.

A friend of mine once gave me a GM "hybrid" badge for my car as a joke. He said I should put it on, because it burned oil AND gas.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »
I want an older Corvette, but (and here's where I out myself as really weird) with the V8 Diesel from a Silverado truck swapped in. 40+ MPG and 600+ ft-lbs of torque. I'd probably end up spending more on rear tires than on fuel...!

It's been done... yes, has a diesel 350 in it.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
Much more adorable cars that make you smile just as much? Yea my Subie fits into that category I think. Not very true to Mustachianism but no 2-seated/coupe either.

The_Dude

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 04:34:40 PM »

You'd be a fan of the Z06 until you had to bring it in to replace something. Or get stranded with a flat tire, and no spare. Or...

Truth is, as cool as they are, there are much more affordable cars that will make you smile just as much. They just don't have the "appeal" that a new, shiny Z06 has.

A properly done Miata with an LS1 swap will easily keep up with most Corvettes.

I'm ok replacing things on the new Z06.  My current non mustachian track toy suffers from many of the same things (such as no spare, expensive LS3 power, etc.)

I've also day dreamed about an LS swap miata but the problem is a "properly" done one is still pretty expensive! 

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 09:59:37 PM »

So just talking simple physics here, just how hard do you think it would be to roll a Corvette/Miata/BMW 2-seater, vs say a nice 'safe' SUV?  Or even one of the compact sedans that I call 'muffin cars', 'cause they look like they've been stretched vertically, like a muffin rising out of its pan.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 10:34:55 PM »

Not enough ground clearance on any of those.  And where would I throw the loads of free firewood, full size fishing rod, mule deer carcass, etc.?  Pretty sure all of those would not tow my travel trailer either.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 11:12:09 PM »

So just talking simple physics here, just how hard do you think it would be to roll a Corvette/Miata/BMW 2-seater, vs say a nice 'safe' SUV?  Or even one of the compact sedans that I call 'muffin cars', 'cause they look like they've been stretched vertically, like a muffin rising out of its pan.

It should be pretty hard to do by itself; they're very low to the ground with a low center of gravity, compared to a modern SUV. Without technology, the car is much more stable.

However, ESC has really leveled the playing field, and is a big part of why SUVs now have lower death rates than cars, as it brakes individual wheels to reduce the odds of the SUV flipping in the first place (the other big part is that SUVs weigh more and sit the driver higher than cars).

So with ESC in the picture, here's a short answer: If you die from a crash in a new SUV, there's a 50% chance it was a rollover, while if you die in a new car, there's a 20% chance it was from a rollover. However, the death rate from rollovers in cars is higher than that of SUVs, since the overall SUV death rate is so much lower than the overall car death rate.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 06:18:44 AM »

@Funky - do you race Le Mons?

I haven't done it for a while but we used to race a Fiero...anti-mustachian for sure but what great fun it was!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 06:56:10 AM »

That's not the only one... I think I've seen a diesel C3 on the Internet somewhere too. Still, it's pretty unusual...

(Also, mine would not have stacks like that.)

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 10:57:39 AM »
@Funky - do you race Le Mons?

I haven't done it for a while but we used to race a Fiero...anti-mustachian for sure but what great fun it was!

I want to badly. They used to do one here nearby (in Louisiana) but haven't had one here in a couple of years, nearest one now is Houston. We've got a couple of guys and a fab shop lined up, once my fab guy is done with his 4x4 trail truck, we'll look into a lemons car.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
For fun/cute factor, the Miata looked just as fun as the more expensive ones.   And it's a Mazda, we all Zoom-Zoom, right? (actually, I am a very sedate driver in my Mazda 3 hatchback, gas prices are too high to be anything else).

@CarSafetyGuy, I didn't really think about roll-overs, since I assumed they have a low center of gravity.  But of course in an accident on the highway where the car ended up in the median or side ditch, a roll-over is a real possibility.  How much would the seat and shoulder belts help for that?  I could also see them going under a truck in a highway pile-up, that would not be fun.

A local car dealership has a radio contest going where the prize is a Porsche Boxster.  First time I heard the ad for it, I thought - so neat to win that - would they let me take cash instead?

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »
It's loads of fun...I would say watch how much you spend on it, because it can get out of control pretty easily, but being here you already know that ;)

Have fun at the race, but don't forget to enjoy the project along the way...some of the most fun I had was at my friend's shop in the wee hours of the morning getting the car ready a day or two before race weekend

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2014, 05:12:37 PM »
A local car dealership has a radio contest going where the prize is a Porsche Boxster.  First time I heard the ad for it, I thought - so neat to win that - would they let me take cash instead?

I love cars, but I'd take the cash too.  I got to drive a Boxster awhile back.  Very disappointing.

workathomedad

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2014, 05:59:11 PM »
I wasted big money on a new Porsche. Wasn't interested in tracking it, so huge waste of money. Would have been a big waste even if I did want to go around a circle really fast.  At first it was fun to drive around and use the "Launch Control", but it grew old sorta fast and then I didn't want to drive it to the grocery store and get it dinged, and it sat in the garage all winter, etc.  Glad to finally see it gone, it felt like a huge relief once I finally sold it, but flushed $40k down the tube in depreciation + registration + taxes + insurance.

Pretty much any newer car hits 70 fast enough. Not really worth the huge price tag to hit 130 fast once or twice just so you can risk prison/tickets/etc. Though I'm married, have no interest in impressing anyone, and really don't enjoy people watching me move down a road... though I understand that's the main buying impetus for many.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:02:02 PM by workathomedad »

pdxcyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 07:16:02 PM »
This reminds me of an e-mail I recently got from my ex-husband, who already has two cars (one for his wife), that said:

"Just bought this Vette-$12K...82’ is the last of the line of good designs.  I was looking at the fact that having $20K in a money market at basically zero interest was not doing me any good beyond my 401K etc.  I can sell this in 5 years at the same price probably-an investment like the Duster (his other car) -which is actually going up in value from the 8K I paid for it almost 2 years ago."

Sure 12K is not that much but I love that he thinks it is an investment. Until he has an accident or needs a new engine or something. He has no mechanical skills as far as I know, he never so much as changed the oil himself when we were together, so any repairs would be handled by a mechanic. He also posted on facebook after Obama's re-election that he was moving his 401K investments out of the stock market because he was sure it was going to crash. Don't know for sure if he actually did this or how long he stayed out, but he may have missed out on last year's huge gains by thinking he could time the market.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2014, 11:18:22 AM »
This reminds me of an e-mail I recently got from my ex-husband, who already has two cars (one for his wife), that said:

"Just bought this Vette-$12K...82’ is the last of the line of good designs.  I was looking at the fact that having $20K in a money market at basically zero interest was not doing me any good beyond my 401K etc.  I can sell this in 5 years at the same price probably-an investment like the Duster (his other car) -which is actually going up in value from the 8K I paid for it almost 2 years ago."

Sure 12K is not that much but I love that he thinks it is an investment. Until he has an accident or needs a new engine or something. He has no mechanical skills as far as I know, he never so much as changed the oil himself when we were together, so any repairs would be handled by a mechanic. He also posted on facebook after Obama's re-election that he was moving his 401K investments out of the stock market because he was sure it was going to crash. Don't know for sure if he actually did this or how long he stayed out, but he may have missed out on last year's huge gains by thinking he could time the market.

Not to mention the mid-70's through late 80's Corvettes are basically not collectible.... $6-8k will buy a perfect early 80's one, because nobody wants them (or wants to get waxed by a new Camry at a stoplight).

theninthwall

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2023, 01:15:44 PM »
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, because I think I might be the Antimustachian one. I'm *this* close to pulling the trigger on a C5 Corvette.
My wife and I have had a single car (a 2008 Prius) for three years now. Before that we had a Corolla as well, but that belonged to her parents.
I'm a car guy, and I was virtually raised around drag strips. I work in the drag racing media and I've loved the sport forever. Needless to say, the Prius jokes have been plentiful over the years, but I've always held firm because of our financial goals (and tried explaning to people that we are going to retire early - not that they believe me).
I've been talking about a Corvette with my wife since last year. We're making almost $300k annually now and we are generally saving/investing about 70% of that each month. I might need to facepunch myself...but I do believe it's something I would really enjoy.

johndoe

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2023, 08:49:37 PM »
Not that my opinion is worth anything... but I'm guessing if you save ~$125k annually, ~$20k on this car is barely a speed bump slowing your fiberglass bumper.  I remember hearing this was a great gen for (1) performance (2) maintenance costs (3) ability to do maintenance yourself and (4) resale value.  Especially if you're in a good financial position and you'll enjoy the ownership.  I wonder how the insurance costs are - and do you have a garage? (just trying to think of other costs that could increase if you do it)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2023, 09:21:08 PM »
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, because I think I might be the Antimustachian one. I'm *this* close to pulling the trigger on a C5 Corvette.
It's unlikely to depreciate on you. Not particularly un-Mustachian.

The sad part is the neighbor could go out and buy a nice looking 2001 vette for 10k and get pretty much the same fun and enjoyment out of it for a year or two and then sell it for 9k.  He already lost much more than that this last week during the life of this thread.
Funny looking at this from years back. Buying a C5 Corvette in 2014 for $10k would have been a good investment.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2023, 09:44:06 PM »
Having been to a track recently for a class, I can tell you that the folks who really care about driving are probably driving a <$10k, 20-30 year old stock miata. Apparently about half their regulars drive those. Cheap, easy to maintain and repair, and a riot on the track.

Also the instructor said if you can race a miata you can race anything. You have to be a better racer in the miata, because the little 120hp engine is not going to cover bad technique.

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2023, 08:37:35 AM »
Corvettes always looked like they would be fun to drive, but when I was younger, I always had something better to do with my money. Now that I'm retired and the kids are launched, I could easily afford one but I just think about what a PITA it would be to get in and out of one. And where would I put my golf clubs? I guess I missed my window of vette ownership.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2023, 08:49:06 AM »
And where would I put my golf clubs?
You could fit two sets of clubs in the previous generation Corvette. Even the current mid-engine version somehow has space for one set.

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2023, 10:22:05 AM »

Recovering car guy here and I don't think this is a terrible idea.  Old corvettes are an amazingly good value.

My motorsport addiction (rally) is easily treated with bicycle racing, but I don't know an equivalent methadone for drag racing.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2023, 05:20:33 PM »
You could fit two sets of clubs in the previous generation Corvette. Even the current mid-engine version somehow has space for one set.

Only 1 set in a C8?  I would have expected a full 2 sets.  I can get 2 sets of clubs plus one set of club wheels in my MR2.  With as monstrously big as the C8 is I would have expected it to pass the 2 set of clubs test!  How big is the C8 you ask?  I was interested in getting one, but after doing the measurements it won't even fit in my garage...  It's so long the garage door would clip the tail even if the front is bumping against the wall, and it's so wide I could not have a second car in there and be able to open the doors wide enough to get in/out!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2023, 05:43:19 PM »
I have seen clubs attached to the outside of a sports car. I believe it was a modification of a hitch attachment.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2023, 07:27:53 PM »

Only 1 set in a C8?  I would have expected a full 2 sets.  I can get 2 sets of clubs plus one set of club wheels in my MR2.  With as monstrously big as the C8 is I would have expected it to pass the 2 set of clubs test!  How big is the C8 you ask?  I was interested in getting one, but after doing the measurements it won't even fit in my garage...  It's so long the garage door would clip the tail even if the front is bumping against the wall, and it's so wide I could not have a second car in there and be able to open the doors wide enough to get in/out!

The C8 rear trunk is supposed to have 56% more cargo space than a second-gen MR2. I'd expect anything that fits in the MR2 would also fit in the C8. As a bonus, the C8 has an additional trunk up front.

I'm surprised the length is an issue, you must have a very small garage. The C8 Corvette is the same length as a Toyota Corolla sedan...

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2023, 07:22:22 AM »

The C8 rear trunk is supposed to have 56% more cargo space than a second-gen MR2. I'd expect anything that fits in the MR2 would also fit in the C8. As a bonus, the C8 has an additional trunk up front.

I'm surprised the length is an issue, you must have a very small garage. The C8 Corvette is the same length as a Toyota Corolla sedan...

Yeah, the current generation Corolla sedan is slightly too long for our garage.  Wife was looking at one of those as a Celica replacement.  Celica is short enough to fit and I expected the Corolla to be comparable as they historically had been pretty small cars.  Not the current generation though.