Author Topic: Conversation with my daughter  (Read 7302 times)

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
Conversation with my daughter
« on: June 24, 2015, 02:35:19 PM »
I mentioned something about work and my daughter said, "Wait, you work in the summer?"  (She's been out of school and home with a nanny for three weeks.)  I said, "Um, yeah, where do you think I've been when I'm gone every day?"  Her response:  "Shopping?"

I swear, that is not deserved.  I do not shop so much that my daughter should think I've been doing it eight hours a day, five days a week, for three weeks straight.

But I probably still deserve a face punch.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Conversation with my daughter
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »
Well, when she hears you speak what does she hear more about -- your work, or your shopping? :)

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 03:06:51 PM »
Honestly, I don't even like to shop, whereas I like my job well enough, so perhaps she's heard me complain about shopping more.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 05:33:30 PM »
I mentioned something about work and my daughter said, "Wait, you work in the summer?"  (She's been out of school and home with a nanny for three weeks.)  I said, "Um, yeah, where do you think I've been when I'm gone every day?"  Her response:  "Shopping?"
LOL, that is hilarious!  How old is your daughter?  Might it be that she just has a good funny bone?

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 05:58:39 PM »
Well, kids do say some funny stuff.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 06:03:42 PM »
LOL, that is hilarious!  How old is your daughter?  Might it be that she just has a good funny bone?

She is nine.  She says some hilarious things sometimes, and I can't tell if it's on purpose or not.  She either has a dry sense of humor, or is more naive than her peers so comes across that way (she has pretty significant learning differences and we're not sure about developmental delays).  Regardless, she's a hoot and brings me much joy and quite a few laughs.

The Accidental Mustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 10:37:47 AM »
Busted!!

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 10:45:08 AM »
Maybe it's just that it's more common to take a kid with you shopping than to the office.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 10:53:19 AM »
That is funny.  My nine year old son comes out with some doozies too.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 06:27:09 AM »
My old boss, an engineer, her daughter told people her mom worked at Target. They had no idea where she got the idea.

mustachianteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 11:56:06 AM »
My husband and I are both teachers, and our daughter is 10. Just a few weeks ago, she was horrified to learn that most jobs continue on over the summer, and that unless she becomes a teacher, she will likely work over the summers as an adult. SHe was shocked, LOL!

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 02:44:37 AM »
I knew (vaguely) a child of two teachers who hadn't clicked to this (working over summer) until she was actually at uni (college) and looking at starting work herself.

Gray Matter

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 06:20:06 AM »
Cute stories, everyone, thanks for sharing.  I feel for those poor kids who thought grown-ups got summers off--that must come as quite a shock, especially if you made it all the way to college thinking that!  This time of year, I always think I should have gone into teaching (the rest of the year, not so much). 

I do remember being bummed when I graduated from college and had to work in the same job year 'round.  Not that I didn't work every, but I enjoyed the change of pace and knowing that I could choose to do something different every summer.  The future of work just seemed to stretch out endlessly before me.

I like the story about the mom working at Target.  Reminds me of when my son was little, I told him we were meeting a friend and her kids at the zoo and he said, "But I thought they lived at the Children's Museum."  Because we always saw them there, he assumed it was their house.  Not a bad place to live!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 07:21:21 AM »
I didn't understand what my dad did for a living for the vast majority of my childhood. The only thing I understood was the he was going to SE Asia a few times a year and coming back with the strangest things that he would be studying and tagging. I knew it must be work, cause when he brought me to the office for a day while he sorted through his samples, I would wish that he just once he would bring back samples that I could play with.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 08:26:17 AM »
Sounds like a teachable moment.
Time to take her to work with you.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!