Author Topic: Conquer Clutter - Double the Size of Your Home!  (Read 4596 times)

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
Conquer Clutter - Double the Size of Your Home!
« on: July 17, 2015, 12:56:55 PM »
The Wall Street Journal's Friday mansion section might be the most anti-MMM read anywhere.

But today there was some especially worthy Hall of Fame material. There was the couple that split one home into two "his and her homes," with two kitchens, etc. There was the Scottsdale couple that built a $3 million ranch home.

But the best was the couple in Charlotte that tore down their $600K, 2,500-square-foot home because it wouldn't be big enough with a third child on the way. They spent $900K to build a 5,000 square foot home, getting creative with the roof so that it looked like a two-story house and not what it was -- a three-story home in a neighborhood of ranches and split-level homes. (Always a sound investment to have by far the biggest home on the block.) The headline, though, is the real face puncher.

A Family Friendly Home That Conquers Clutter
This Charlotte, N.C. house includes a pantry that hides the refrigerator, a children’s library with built-in homework stations—even a packing station for travel.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-family-friendly-home-that-conquers-clutter-1437055989

klystomane

• Stubble
Re: Conquer Clutter - Double the Size of Your Home!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 02:14:37 PM »
House actually looks pretty awesome.

It's really only a $1.5mil home, and for somebody that runs her own successful business, isn't all that outlandish.

But seriously, wtf kind of name is Court?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »
I joke about buying a duplex with my husband taking one side and me the other.  That way I won't have to deal with him never cleaning anything at all...  I will clean my stuff and he will live in a pigstye.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 09:59:49 AM »
getting creative with the roof so that it looked like a two-story house and not what it was -- a three-story home in a neighborhood of ranches and split-level homes.
For some reason there is the opposite here.
The city is trying to crack down on McMansions by assessing double sq footage on rooms with high ceilings (???)
So the response is to build fake extra stories - resulting in 4ft high bedrooms with no door - which are torn out just after the building permit is issued.

Isn't it great when badly designed laws meet market economics  ;-)

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 12:50:05 PM »
There are some seriously beautiful features in that home.  I actually LOVE the esthetic and the dining nook would be really fun for casual gatherings.

But it's weird that they found the original home far too small.....I have a 2500 sf bungalow and two kids, and it would be really easy to fit another kid in the mix if I were so inclined.  To me, it's actually a fantastic size of home - you're not on top of each other, but it's not so huge that you have wasted/unused rooms.  I can't imagine tearing down a perfectly good 600k home and building another 900k home in its place, though I will admit that it is a pretty amazing home for $1.5M (at least in my area....a home with that level of finishes would be way more than that).

I find the overly-coordinated family outfits a bit creepy.  And WTF kind of name is Tyler for a girl.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 10:33:53 AM »
There are some seriously beautiful features in that home.  I actually LOVE the esthetic and the dining nook would be really fun for casual gatherings.

But it's weird that they found the original home far too small.....I have a 2500 sf bungalow and two kids, and it would be really easy to fit another kid in the mix if I were so inclined.  To me, it's actually a fantastic size of home - you're not on top of each other, but it's not so huge that you have wasted/unused rooms.  I can't imagine tearing down a perfectly good 600k home and building another 900k home in its place, though I will admit that it is a pretty amazing home for $1.5M (at least in my area....a home with that level of finishes would be way more than that).

I find the overly-coordinated family outfits a bit creepy.  And WTF kind of name is Tyler for a girl.
I am almost physically ill at the sheer waste of it all. The size in and of itself is ridiculous, but knocking down a perfectly good home just to build one with more space is fucking retarded. Somewhere, people are dying today for lack of the resources those jackasses consumed to accommodate their mindless lifestyle creep.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 12:47:49 PM »
Whimsy is so passé.

I guess they can always knock it over and rebuild in a year or two?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 02:44:06 PM »
Their 5 year old son has a larger bed than my husband and I. (No intention or desire to trade up, just found it amusing).