Author Topic: Congratulations You've Won! The opportunity to get a lecture...  (Read 7580 times)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
Congratulations You've Won! The opportunity to get a lecture...
« on: October 27, 2017, 12:52:06 PM »
So I got a call a few minutes ago congratulating me for winning a free resort vacation and cruise because I filled out a contact card for a free vehicle at the airport two years ago.  Yadda yadda yadda, it was one of those time-share vacation deals where they'll pay for "everything" except airfare to stay at one of their properties.  All he needed was a $300 fee paid immediately over the phone.  When I expressed concern about the hard sale, his supervisor came on the line and ramped up the pressure that I have to know who they are because I filled out the card, there's a verification process to protect myself, I should go on Yelp and look up that they're legit and popular.  The finals straw for him was that I would not budge on wanting to see this great deal in writing in an email before dropping any money on them "not even if the pope were to walk in the room and verify this was legit" (his words there).  Instead of Yelp, I looked them up on BBB and Consumer Reports. Imagine my surprise when my suspicions were verified that this was just another hard sale time-share thing.  I'm not sure what bothers me more, that talking to the prospect like they're an idiot is an approved marketing method, or that it must work often enough for them to keep doing it.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: Congratulations You've Won! The opportunity to get a lecture...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 01:03:44 PM »
I enjoy using time share presentation to get greatly reduce/free room rates.  you give up 90 minutes of your 5 day vacation to save usually 100s to maybe 1000 dollars over normal rates and all you have to say is nope not interested. and when 90 minutes is up kindly remind them that you committed 90 minutes and will be leaving now. 90 minutes with 2 adults if it equals 200 dollars in savings is 67 bucks an hour. 

and i like the sport of it. my wife not so much but

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 01:18:49 PM »
Coming from a family that has sat through this pitch several times, resulting in my parents/sister purchasing at least two time shares that I know about... it's really not worth to sit in on the 90 minute presentation.  Best to stay away from temptation (on their part).

I believe one of these timeshares they got absolutely zero use out of.  What a waste of money.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 01:21:47 PM »
Coming from a family that has sat through this pitch several times, resulting in my parents/sister purchasing at least two time shares that I know about... it's really not worth to sit in on the 90 minute presentation.  Best to stay away from temptation (on their part).

I believe one of these timeshares they got absolutely zero use out of.  What a waste of money.

Yeah but thats just self control ... people around here should be able to exploit this to their benefit and if they absolutely cant they should stay away.

Similar to saying travel hacking is bad b/c you get into credit card debt. no not with self control

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 06:24:55 AM »
It's easy to have a (brain, mindset, value system, spidey sense, or whatever you want to call it) that the OP, and many of us have acquired, or were gifted, and find the whole thing to be a racket. OTOH, I watch my wife, an educator with a several degrees, and how she reacts to a good pitch. She is totally willing to suspend disbelief and drop any desire to question the integrity of a smooth, and believable story line. I can see how, if she had ended up with an equally gullible partner in life, she would now own a $30K Disney time share and a history of many similar really bad financial decisions, since that's just how her brain works. My future son in law is another great example. Recent grad. with some type of business degree and a successful career in "corporate branding and social media marketing". This kid is totally a mark for anybody who wants to sell him some security from stress in his life. He made a dumb decision to buy a new car, but wisely buys a cheap reliable Mazda. He is now terrified of used cars, since he foolishly tried to keep an old expensive BMW on the road, and doesn't know a wrench from a coffee stirrer. As a result he then adds a ridiculous amount to his new car payment for an extended warranty. In talking to the kid in the last few years, he will occasionally discuss decisions that make me cringe, and paint them as wise choices that will ward off a potential problem.

It's only a small anecdotal sample, but I really have no problem understanding how the time share industry can be wildly successful, and how 10-20% of folks contacted on the phone will gladly write a check for $300 to get a good deal.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 07:19:28 AM »
I went to a Rich Dad Poor Dad free property investing presentation, when I was thinking about investing in property, out of curiosity. I nervously left my purse in the car, so I couldn't buy a further course/whatever they were selling, having heard how persuasive this sort of thing can be.

I needn't have worried. Was quite interesting, was glad I went along. Was not at all tempted to lay down £10k for the course they were selling.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 11:08:19 AM »
I've been burned by such hard sale "you must buy this thing right this second or never" presentations so I find it easier to just move on with my life than seriously entertain them.  With this particular one, the guy was being a dick about it when I questioned the whole enterprise and their BBB file only reinforced my earlier concerns.  Lots of folks were complaining that once you commit to a travel date there is absolutely no flexibility (including someone who just barely dodged the Florida hurricane a couple months ago) and at a couple of their properties their "resort" amounted to a poorly maintained 2-3 star hotel.  When the day comes we're ready for a big vacation my own travel hacking will cover most of the costs without taking a chance on a program like this.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
Just hang up the phone! No need to even speak to them.

We have a pair of phone numbers calling our landline repeatedly. No info about them on the internet. 

I took a work day off a while back and had 7 telemarketers call between 8AM and noon despite being on the national "do not call" list.

We don't subscribe to anything, we shouldn't really be on any lists in my mind.

I let the answering machine catch them all. Have learned how to block calls using our cordless phone/answering machine.

Very easy to do. Rings once, the caller ID pops up and the call is blocked - no more ringing.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 02:20:28 PM »
Just hang up the phone! No need to even speak to them.

We have a pair of phone numbers calling our landline repeatedly. No info about them on the internet. 

I took a work day off a while back and had 7 telemarketers call between 8AM and noon despite being on the national "do not call" list.

We don't subscribe to anything, we shouldn't really be on any lists in my mind.

I let the answering machine catch them all. Have learned how to block calls using our cordless phone/answering machine.

Very easy to do. Rings once, the caller ID pops up and the call is blocked - no more ringing.

Whoa you have an answering machine and cordless phones what are these things. Did I miss a new tech invention.

But in all seriousness. This should be a tool a smart mustachian leverages to gain free or cheap vacations.  It's worth more than what you likely make in your day job if you're planning to take the vacation anyways.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:22:39 PM by boarder42 »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 07:14:45 PM »
I've been burned by such hard sale "you must buy this thing right this second or never" presentations so I find it easier to just move on with my life than seriously entertain them. 
DW and I went to a time share presentation earlier this year.  It included the "this offer is only good today" pitch.  I don't remember if I said it out loud, but I know I was thinking "If this is such a great deal today, it'll still be a great deal tomorrow."

There are very few things in this life where a limited-time offer is actually a good deal.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 08:08:25 PM »
DW and me got to experience a brutally hard sell from a chiropractor of all people. Was supposed to be an informational seminar. First it was a  presentation to roughly 20 couples extolling the virtues (I believe he may have claimed to have cured cancer). Then they put you in a small room and the Dr(we refer to him as Dr. Quack) and his assistant alternate hard selling you, because despite knowing nothing about me, they know I need 32 sessions with them. But don't worry, they can help us get financing to pay for it. It took probably an hour to get away.  Minute we left we called our friend who had told us about him(she was scheduled for later that week for the same 'informational' seminar) and told her to not go. If we knew then what we do now, we'd have reported him to the medical board. I am pretty sure he netted quite a few people.

elaine amj

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 09:18:47 PM »
Not enough years ago, we fell for one of these stupid hard sell things. We went for the freebies and promised ourselves we wouldn’t buy anything, patting ourselves on the back since we “knew better”.

Next thing we know, we walked out a few thousand dollars poorer. And gave up the freebie trip too :(

We didn’t even get a timeshare - just a stupid membership thing we never ended up using. Thankfully we finally wised up a couple of years later and cancelled it.

DH claims it was my fault because he just wanted to make me happy and I claim it was his fault since it is his job to keep me from making stupid decisions lol!

I’ve been tempted to do another timeshare presentation since but have not yet been tempted by the right offer. We tried in Vegas but they only offered crappy freebies that wasn’t worth the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 05:43:57 AM »
While stuck in a waiting room recently, I grabbed a fairly current Consumer Report magazine that had an article extolling the virtues of buying a timeshare. I was pretty shocked at the whole thing. They totally failed to mention the lost opportunity cost of handing $20-140K to somebody for the right to use a room at their resort for 1/52 of the year. After the bulk of the article discussed why it may be a wonderful idea, they did get back to reality a bit. They mentioned that "maintenance" fees are currently averaging $880/year and going up about 3% annually. They warned that the things can be purchased for steep discounts on the second hand market, often for a dollar. They warned that getting out of the deal at all can be nearly impossible, then specifically recommended a law firm with a track record of 99% success in forcing the timeshare company to buy the thing back, with a base fee to the lawyer of $4000, and other possible charges, which in my state would include 2% of the theoretical "value" in real estate transfer taxes. They also pointed out that you need to be sure that the property participates in a trading scheme, that you must pay to join, in order to be able to trade your weeks for other locations, since you may not want to spend the next few decades going to the same place on the same week.

Seems to me that if you buy a timeshare for $30K you potentially lose $2100 in gains in a typical year of historical stock market performance at 7%. Then you spend $900 for the yearly maintenance fee. You decide to join a trading club and  trade your week for another location this year, so you end up paying an additional $330 in fees to that racket. So, you're into this mess for $3330, this year alone. Can you find a room at a nice resort, anywhere you want to be, for less than $3300 a week in room fees?  The best part is that this reality finally dawns on you and you want to bail. Good news, your resort and week are not totally valueless, and it will probably sell for half of what you paid. Once you find a buyer, a lawyer to close the deal, and pay all those costs, you have about $12K left.  It's tough for me to imagine where Consumer Reports finds any potential scenario where this is worthy of recommending?

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 12:44:48 PM »
Eww. When I was younger and poorer I was "all about the free stuff" but I couldn't stomach sitting through one of those timeshare presentations to the end and collect my freebie. One of my guiding principles is now "the harder the sell, the brighter the warning sign to stay away."

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 12:57:08 PM »
and when 90 minutes is up kindly remind them that you committed 90 minutes and will be leaving now. 90 minutes with 2 adults if it equals 200 dollars in savings is 67 bucks an hour. 

and i like the sport of it. my wife not so much but
Lol, DW and I are in the similar situation. We've used it a couple times. Actually bought 'points' in a resort system some years ago, it worked out great, under $100/night at some fancy resorts in nice locals!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 01:10:26 PM »
Eww. When I was younger and poorer I was "all about the free stuff" but I couldn't stomach sitting through one of those timeshare presentations to the end and collect my freebie. One of my guiding principles is now "the harder the sell, the brighter the warning sign to stay away."

That's been my philosophy of late.  The "lecture" I put in the title of this thread does not refer to the timeshare pitch if we were to go. That's the attitude the guy on the phone took with me.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 01:22:21 PM »
i do however have an awful salesman story.  from one of our visits and an excellent saleswoman story.

We were sitting in one of these - it was Hilton Resorts.  My wife had taken a wakeboard to the head and had stiches about 2-3 weeks prior to our trip.  Come to the end of the hard sell guy's speach i say looks like its time for us to leave its been 90 minutes.  Thanks for your time.  i'd been a bit abrasive prior when he started selling hard.  So he turns to my wife and asks "so how did you really get that scar" insinuating that i beat my wife.  Not sure what his end goal was with that statement.  But we immediately got up requested a manager - i called the hilton hotels diamond line ( i travel a ton for work and thats the chain i stay at) and they gifted us and extra 100k points for our troubles with the issue.  Not sure if that tactic has worked for him in the past and someone just bought a 50k time share to keep domestic abuse under wraps but it certainly worked to our advantage in the end.

Best one we ever did was with marriott kauai.  We were on our honeymoon and took advantage of an ocean front 2 room suite for sub 100 a night - pretty great deal.  Walked in and told the sales woman we were on our honeymoon and did it for the deal and she said - so you're not interested in buying - nope.  She said ok lets not waste my time or yours how bout i tell you about some amazing places to hit that are off the beaten path and send you on your way.  Sent us to some great places to eat and took up about 20 mins of our time just informing us about the island.  Much better sales tactic IMO - treat them nice maybe they decide they want this service in the future and we can gain their business.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 01:54:18 PM »
i do however have an awful salesman story.  from one of our visits and an excellent saleswoman story.

We were sitting in one of these - it was Hilton Resorts.  My wife had taken a wakeboard to the head and had stiches about 2-3 weeks prior to our trip.  Come to the end of the hard sell guy's speach i say looks like its time for us to leave its been 90 minutes.  Thanks for your time.  i'd been a bit abrasive prior when he started selling hard.  So he turns to my wife and asks "so how did you really get that scar" insinuating that i beat my wife.  Not sure what his end goal was with that statement.  But we immediately got up requested a manager - i called the hilton hotels diamond line ( i travel a ton for work and thats the chain i stay at) and they gifted us and extra 100k points for our troubles with the issue.  Not sure if that tactic has worked for him in the past and someone just bought a 50k time share to keep domestic abuse under wraps but it certainly worked to our advantage in the end.

Best one we ever did was with marriott kauai.  We were on our honeymoon and took advantage of an ocean front 2 room suite for sub 100 a night - pretty great deal.  Walked in and told the sales woman we were on our honeymoon and did it for the deal and she said - so you're not interested in buying - nope.  She said ok lets not waste my time or yours how bout i tell you about some amazing places to hit that are off the beaten path and send you on your way.  Sent us to some great places to eat and took up about 20 mins of our time just informing us about the island.  Much better sales tactic IMO - treat them nice maybe they decide they want this service in the future and we can gain their business.

Being polite to potential customers?! Novel idea. Somebody should write that down.  During the call last week, as soon as the guy finished his pitch I had a couple questions about the fee and if I could see the offer details in an email, and he immediately put his supervisor on the line whose first words were "What question did you have? What didn't you understand?"  It was an accusation, not someone looking to be helpful.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 02:01:40 PM »
DW and me got to experience a brutally hard sell from a chiropractor of all people. Was supposed to be an informational seminar. First it was a  presentation to roughly 20 couples extolling the virtues (I believe he may have claimed to have cured cancer). Then they put you in a small room and the Dr(we refer to him as Dr. Quack) and his assistant alternate hard selling you, because despite knowing nothing about me, they know I need 32 sessions with them. But don't worry, they can help us get financing to pay for it. It took probably an hour to get away.  Minute we left we called our friend who had told us about him(she was scheduled for later that week for the same 'informational' seminar) and told her to not go. If we knew then what we do now, we'd have reported him to the medical board. I am pretty sure he netted quite a few people.
Maximized Living?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 02:20:25 PM »

Being polite to potential customers?! Novel idea. Somebody should write that down.  During the call last week, as soon as the guy finished his pitch I had a couple questions about the fee and if I could see the offer details in an email, and he immediately put his supervisor on the line whose first words were "What question did you have? What didn't you understand?"  It was an accusation, not someone looking to be helpful.
The one time I've done one of these the starting price was $30,000 and after some rather comical negotiations and 3 different sales people we were down to free (plus maintenance and other fees of course) and when I said we're still not interested the guy acted like I had knocked the wind out of him. He just couldn't understand why we didn't want it. I find it very difficult to not be polite when talking to strangers but after asking if we could leave several times and him dodging the question I finally gave him a drawn out nooooo and I think people at the tables around us heard. Then when I asked where we could pick up our gift card he just got up and left, we had to ask someone else where to go.

I still think it's worth it but be prepared for awkward situations. It's a little more than just having the willpower to say no, I think they get some people to sign just because they can't bear the awkwardness.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 02:28:50 PM »

The one time I've done one of these the starting price was $30,000 and after some rather comical negotiations and 3 different sales people we were down to free (plus maintenance and other fees of course) and when I said we're still not interested the guy acted like I had knocked the wind out of him. He just couldn't understand why we didn't want it. I find it very difficult to not be polite when talking to strangers but after asking if we could leave several times and him dodging the question I finally gave him a drawn out nooooo and I think people at the tables around us heard. Then when I asked where we could pick up our gift card he just got up and left, we had to ask someone else where to go.

I still think it's worth it but be prepared for awkward situations. It's a little more than just having the willpower to say no, I think they get some people to sign just because they can't bear the awkwardness.

Consumer Reports has hundreds of comments from folks who felt they were robbed signing up for the timeshare since it can be very restrictive or they lie to the consumer about point values and flexibility or felt bullied by the sales tactics.  Of the one or two positive reviews the person said "Yes it is a mortgage payment to keep long term, yes you need to be flexible with what is available and you're not going to be able to cancel, and most of their properties are enjoyable. However, we don't condone how they sell it."

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 08:54:33 AM »
Went to visit my parents last night. They had bought a Geo Holiday timeshare.. The annual dues were $250 per year when they bought it but they signed a 45 year contact and now they are paying $1000 per year for the privilege. Oh, well, 20 more years to go.

I asked if they considered selling it but there's a clause that Geo Holiday needs to approve that they can sell. So they applied for this since my mom really can't travel that much. They didn't say whether they got the approval.  But they will also need to find the buyer and if the buyer doesn't pay during the first 5 years then my parents would be responsible for these dues. And they don't know if the buyer were to not pay, whether after the 5 years the timeshare would fall back to my parents.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 09:30:50 AM »
I have a personal policy that I will not listen to a sales pitch no matter how much swag they offer to get my attention.

We love to go to Kauai (we live on Oahu) and see many, many posters for free dinners etc. in exchange for listening to a sales presentation for a timeshare. I'm quite sure I'd have the ability to walk away from such a sales pitch, but despite the free food (and I dearly love free food) I can't think of a more tedious and mentally exhausting way to spend 90 minutes. I really can't. It would be an Orwellian Room 101 for me.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 09:47:58 AM »
I have a personal policy that I will not listen to a sales pitch no matter how much swag they offer to get my attention.

We love to go to Kauai (we live on Oahu) and see many, many posters for free dinners etc. in exchange for listening to a sales presentation for a timeshare. I'm quite sure I'd have the ability to walk away from such a sales pitch, but despite the free food (and I dearly love free food) I can't think of a more tedious and mentally exhausting way to spend 90 minutes. I really can't. It would be an Orwellian Room 101 for me.

So someone offers you a free 5MM dollar beach house for listening to a 90 min sales talk you say naw?  Interesting.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »
We did this twice and definitely not worth it.  The 2nd time the guy got abusive when he realized we were not going to buy. Also if you walk out they charge you the full rate for the weekend room. You have to wait until he takes you to someone and agrees to release you. Ugh!

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 12:16:54 PM »
I would be very wary of giving out a credit card number over the phone. That would be a huge red flag.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »
I was finishing up grad school in my late 20's and was depositing rent checks into my account at the bank. I bought a house close to campus and rented out 3 rooms. The bank teller was in his early 20's and giving me a hard sell on a credit card. He made some sort of comment that "it's very smart to have a credit card "  My typical response was something like, "Thanks, but I don't need one."

He wouldn't let it go and ended up lecturing me for like 5 minutes on why I need a credit card. I don't remember all the specifics, but his points weren't very good. I ended up firing back and destroying all of his weak points. It was his attitude that bothered me the most. He was a kid in his early 20's making $10/hour at the bank acting like he was the bank president and trying to give me unsolicited financial advice. Game on!

Debonair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DebonairDylan
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2017, 05:42:10 AM »
I went to one once. I thought it was fun granted I only stayed half an hour. What I was asked about my job I told them I was an EMT. Then I went into graphic details about what it sounds like when someone's lungs fills up with blood.

For some strange reason they told me I could leave.