Author Topic: Congrats on the New Car!  (Read 12158 times)

Wesmon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Congrats on the New Car!
« on: January 06, 2015, 06:40:04 AM »
I'll never understand why friends post pictures of their new card on Facebook. One recently posted a picture of a new BMW SUV and said "now I'll finally have the commute I deserve!" Wtf is wrong with you????

Then there are the people that say "congratulations on the new car!" Huh? Why? Congrats on signing a piece of paper that commits you to flushing money down the toilet?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Congrats on the New Car!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 07:26:58 AM »
I post pictures of my new car on facebook. I did it because I was excited about it. It's not really any different than people who post pictures of their new shoes, or new curtains or whatever.

The most common response I got wasn't Congrats but "ooh! It's shiny!"

And I'm not committed to flushing money down the toilet. That money was flushed the day I bought it.

I happened to buy a new car, newer used cars in this area are ridiculously over priced, and I wanted a few safety and a few luxury features that older used cars didn't have, but I've seen people post pictures of their "new to them" cars as well.

Wesmon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 07:41:05 AM »
It reminds of a group of ancient South Pacific (or African) tribes whose chief's had a strange method of showing off their wealth and power.  They chiefs would get together once a year and gather everything they possibly could into a pile.  Skins, weapons, tools, cookware - pretty much everything of value.   Then they would light the pile on fire.    The chief that could afford to burn the most was deemed the winner and highly esteemed.

I understand what you're saying about "safety features" of cars.  I would argue that pretty much all cars made today are roughly equally safe.         For example, one car may be 97% safe as another one made today while a car from 20 years ago is 50% as safe as today's cars.

Take a look at MM's last post about 4WD cars and so on, he pretty well nails it.  It's all marketing and consumerism, which, I too, am guilty off.   I used to by new Ford Explorers straight off the lot every 4 years.  Then I punched myself and now I have a 2009 mini-van that I got used for $8k.  The feeling I get now EVERY time I drive it is SO MUCH more satisfying than than first week of owning a factory fresh car.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 07:52:49 AM »
I've posted pictures of my bicycle (covered in snow) loaded with 70lbs of groceries and the caption "Make shopping fun, bike!"

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 07:54:42 AM »
When I bought my last car, I got it new.  I spent a couple of hours negotiating the price down to what the Edmunds.com site said would be a fair price for a one year old car with 15,000 miles.  I got a great warranty that only applies to the original buyer.  If I sell the car, the warranty does not transfer.  Although I had the money to pay cash, I did finance part of it because the interest rate was 1%.  Of course, it wasn't a BMW... but I would hate to think that someone might be judging me for buying a new car. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 07:55:46 AM »
I got an Elantra (and I have a snow covered commute that many people say "needs" a 4WD)- but it has a lot of safety features my 2001 Civic didn't have (I got that car new too- but unlike many, I plan to keep my cars for a long time). I do think I also want to buy snow tires, as the handling this morning (we got 7 inches overnight and the roads were plowed but not great) wasn't fabulous...   I also negotiated pretty heavily on the car, and I think the biggest thing is I wasn't set on any one model, since I was completely willing to walk away, I got the price I wanted.  (At one point, he came in $600 more than what I said was my rock bottom. He said "I think we're really close- are you ready to buy this?"  I told him "If we're close enough that you think I should compromise, why don't you just compromise and go to the price I want."  Took a 5th trip back to the stupid sales manager (is that a real person, or do they just hide in a room for a few minutes?), and I got my price.  I think a lot of people would just think "hey, what's $600?"  The only thing I'm pissed about is they added a few stupid things like wheel locks and a first aid kit to up the MSRP, but since I decided my price without those things, I probably did okay, but maybe without them I could have gotten a bit lower, I don't know.  Who the hell needs wheel locks? Those things break off in a second if someone really wanted the wheels.

The one problem with safety ratings of cars is that they are only judged against cars of similar size. I really liked the Honda Fit, but I kept thinking what would happen to the backseat occupants if an Expedition rammed into it. So I went with a slightly bigger car (though I still can't bring myself to drive something bigger than a compact.)

I guess my thought on why it is on facebook though is people show what they are excited about.  I actually see my frugal (though I doubt they have good savings, it's more false frugality, for many of them; they'll be back to their $32 mascara posts shortly) post about how they made rice and beans and have their lunches for a week for only $3 or something like that. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 07:59:12 AM by iowajes »

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 07:56:50 AM »
I'm torn on this. on the one hand, I totally posted a picture of my new car to Facebook when I got it (pre-MMM, but I would probably do it again). I had just gotten my first job out of school, it was a great job, I was upgrading from a 17 year old Chevy Lumina that hemorrhaged oil and kind of stressed me out, it was an exciting moment! but on the other hand, it was at least a fairly practical new car (Versa hatchback), and I also agree that congratulations are certainly not in order. I just like to share things on Facebook, LOL.

I've posted pictures of my bicycle (covered in snow) loaded with 70lbs of groceries and the caption "Make shopping fun, bike!"

hahaha awesome.

marketnonsenses

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
I feel the same about bragging how powerful the engine is in your car/truck. Unless you built the engine you have nothing to brag about. congrats, you bought something anyone with credit could have bought.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 07:59:43 AM »

That is great!

Wesmon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 08:01:45 AM »
Ok, I guess I'll clarify.  I'm more confused about why people would say "congratulations" on something like buying a car.

To me, that's like saying "congratulations on buying that box of crackers at WalMart".  It's something that anyone can do with little or no effort except the mental effort of deciding to do it.

One should be congratulated on actions that take skill, luck, prowess, special ability, work, effort, practice, etc.  Walking into a car dealership and signing a piece of paper does not take any of those - a slug can crawl across the bill of sale.

marketnonsenses

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 08:14:55 AM »
Ok, I guess I'll clarify.  I'm more confused about why people would say "congratulations" on something like buying a car.

To me, that's like saying "congratulations on buying that box of crackers at WalMart".  It's something that anyone can do with little or no effort except the mental effort of deciding to do it.

One should be congratulated on actions that take skill, luck, prowess, special ability, work, effort, practice, etc.  Walking into a car dealership and signing a piece of paper does not take any of those - a slug can crawl across the bill of sale.

i 100% agree with you. Especially with credit. Fancy cars are hardly a symbol of wealth in my opinion making purchasing a car mean nothing.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 08:24:39 AM »
I think "congratulations" is because it is a symbol of status.  Buying a new car takes a lot more than buying crackers. It means you have gotten somewhere in life and can afford it.

I think people put the idea of debt out of their mind, and assume if someone got a new car- they paid for it (and some people don't think financing a car is stupid, and equate it as paying for it), which means they earned the money for a luxury product.

You should try an experiment  "Woo! Found my favorite crackers at Walmart today!" and see what people say. I bet people say something close to congrats.  It's possibly because, like responding to a post about a new car, people's vocabularies aren't great and they don't know what else to say.

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 08:37:53 AM »
Thankfully, those kinds of post don't show up on my feed, but if they did, you better believe I will post a very snarky assholish remark (and I never comment on anything).   

Never understood why a new car status is deemed socially acceptable, but if someone was to post something about their net worth and investments, it would be socially gauche. 

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 08:48:14 AM »

i 100% agree with you. Especially with credit. Fancy cars are hardly a symbol of wealth in my opinion making purchasing a car mean nothing.

yes, on this, totally agree... it's bizarre!!

I guess if someone truly did save up money to meet this goal and put in effort to get the best deal, that's something... but still pretty far down the list of things I would congratulate people for.

r3dt4rget

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 08:55:19 AM »
What do you expect on Facebook? It's nothing but people trying to make their lives look desirable. I'm pretty sure Webster added Facebook as an alternative definition for the word narcissism.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 08:59:36 AM »
BMW SUV i can understand. It sounds like something I would do if I had money to burn, or could get it used for $5500 and well under blue book.  (Like I did with my current car).

What I take issue with here is the notion that anyone "deserves" anything.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 11:54:37 AM »
I actually don't judge the car purchase nearly as much as I judge this:

"now I'll finally have the commute I deserve!"

WTpH does that even mean?

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 04:57:38 PM »

I guess it means farting away so much money during the drive that you have to change your pants at work.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 05:42:39 PM »
I understand what you're saying about "safety features" of cars.  I would argue that pretty much all cars made today are roughly equally safe.         For example, one car may be 97% safe as another one made today while a car from 20 years ago is 50% as safe as today's cars.

At risk of taking the thread off topic, your comment here made me think of this video I saw a while back with a 1959 vs 2009 crash test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

Back on topic, I have a feeling that when I get a new car, it'll be posted on Facebook... bragging about how much car I got for how little money. :D Might be a while though, as barring catastrophe, I hope we've got at least another decade in our 2008 Fit.

Wile E. Coyote

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 09:08:57 PM »

Actually, I think it is quite an accurate statement.  They deserve that commute in order to pay for their silly car. :)

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 11:23:19 AM »

Actually, I think it is quite an accurate statement.  They deserve that commute in order to pay for their silly car. :)

Haha...spot on!

Carlsky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »
What do you expect on Facebook? It's nothing but people trying to make their lives look desirable. I'm pretty sure Webster added Facebook as an alternative definition for the word narcissism.

And this is why I dramatically reduced my facebook usage.  The timeline is just the hi-lights from other peoples lives and it made me jealous.  Although, I don't get jealous of purchasing new cars.  My 2003 minivan is serving our family well and I don't cry when my wife accidentally scraps the side.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 01:51:59 PM »

The one problem with safety ratings of cars is that they are only judged against cars of similar size. I really liked the Honda Fit, but I kept thinking what would happen to the backseat occupants if an Expedition rammed into it. So I went with a slightly bigger car (though I still can't bring myself to drive something bigger than a compact.)

I think this gets misunderstood.  The crash-test ratings are done by crashing the car into a rigid, static object and then evaluating how well the occupants would have survived.  That's pretty much a worst-case scenario (hitting a solid wall).  It's true that you can't compare crash-test ratings between classes of cars with vastly different characteristics, but that's because there will be more transfer of energy when a large, heavy car gets into a serious accident.

The IIHS website explains it like this:
Frontal crash test results can't be used to compare vehicle performance across weight classes. That's because the kinetic energy involved in the moderate overlap and small overlap frontal tests depends on the speed and weight of the test vehicle. Thus, the crash is more severe for heavier vehicles. (emphasis added)

Given, if Expedition and a Fit get into an absolutely head-on accident you are better off being in the Expedition, and I think this is what you meant to say.  But if you hit something solid and off-center, like the concrete barrier on a divided highway, you're better of being in the Fit than the Expedition.  It's a bit counter-intuative, but the bigger the vehicle the more kenetic energy it has at a given speed.  It all depends on how that energy is transferred during a collision.

see: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ratings-info/frontal-crash-tests

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 07:10:06 PM »

That's only true if you are ready to drop any amount on any car you like the look of (and at any interest rate, if you don't have the cash).

Our (first-ever) car shopping experience a few months ago involved lots of online research/calculations, then going out to test drive many different models (resisting sales pitches the whole time), then an unfortunate experience of resisting a dealership that tried to rip us off under the guise of a deal (this was a mistake), then exhaustive online searches/quote requests for the make/model we wanted, then fielding the calls and emails that resulted from this, then finally setting an appointment and going down to sign for it. I'll even admit that we bought new, which I think actually simplifies the process since you never have to consider the condition of the car. I'll go so far as to admit that we partially financed (which we carefully considered, and made a decision that made the most sense to us based on a number of reasons); doing that required the extra steps of securing outside financing--going to a bank, etc.

Point being, by the time you go through ALL that rigamarole, one way or the other, you are damn proud of having accomplished it, especially if it's your first time making a purchase of that magnitude. And maybe there's a little "life milestone" aspect there, too, like iowajes says,  same way people say congrats to engagements, weddings, house purchases, child birthdays, major promotions, graduations, etc. Some of which I think is weird (e.g. engagement), but it's polite.

Wiggle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 05:14:51 AM »

The IIHS website explains it like this:
Frontal crash test results can't be used to compare vehicle performance across weight classes. That's because the kinetic energy involved in the moderate overlap and small overlap frontal tests depends on the speed and weight of the test vehicle. Thus, the crash is more severe for heavier vehicles. (emphasis added)

It's true that the larger vehicle will have more kinetic energy, but it also may have a build/materials capable of dissipating more of that energy without passing it on to the passengers.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 06:52:23 AM »
And maybe there's a little "life milestone" aspect there, too, like iowajes says,  same way people say congrats to engagements, weddings, house purchases, child birthdays, major promotions, graduations, etc. Some of which I think is weird (e.g. engagement), but it's polite.

You know, this is a good point. I always thought the engagement "congratulations" was super weird too, but now that I think about it, I guess people use "congratulations" to sometimes just mean "I am happy for you" and not necessarily "congratulations on your accomplishment"... in which case it does make sense for both the engagement and car-buying scenarios, as long as the car in question is a reasonably financially sound purchase and not some albatross with a 96-month loan.

Overseas Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 07:09:26 AM »
In my 12 years of car ownership I have never owned a new car and I really can't ever see the reason why I would. Let me just break down my car ownership:

2003: Given 1991 Toyota Corrolla drove until 2007 no expensive repairs just normal maintenance- Gave car to a friend (actually it kinda kept being passed from one friend to the next depending who needed it at the time, unfortunately one friend decided to stop the tradition and sold it for about $400)
2007: $5000 for a 1998 Audi A4 one semi expensive repair for $800 and the rest just normal maintenance. In 2011 The car got hail damage Insurance paid me $3800 and I kept the car and sold it for $4000.
2008: Wife buys car for $4500 2000 mazda 626. No expensive repairs Car is totaled in accident other person at fault and pays $3500 in 2011. Keep car fixed it up for a couple hundred and some elbow grease. Gave it to my brother for free instead of selling for around $2000
2011: $9000 for a 2003 special edition Mazda 3. I bought this car on ebay by accident. I made a low bid and figured I wouldn't get it oops I won, it was for my wife to and she handn't agreed that she wanted it. Fortunately she really ended up loving that car such a fun thing to drive. No expensive repairs. Sold in 2013 for $8500 when we moved to the Congo.

Purchase price                Extra Repairs                  Sell price       Insurance payout              total
0                                         0                                     0                        0                               0
-5000                              - 800                                 4000                  3800                          2000
-4500                                  0                                     0                      3500                         -1000
-9000                                  0                                   8500                   0                              -500
-18500                            -800                                 12500                 7300                          500

So basically after buying and selling cars for over 10 years I came out ahead by $500. Can anyone do a chart like this in which they bought a new car/cars and after 10 years they had a similar result? I would like to see if it they could but I don't really think they can because the the warranty for 10 years may cancel out any of the extra expense but the depreciation will eat up a big chunk of the money.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 08:54:04 AM »
Vehicle                       Purchase price                Extra Repairs                  Sell price       Insurance payout              total
93 Toyota4x4                     0                                    0                                6700                        0                          6700
93 Nissan Maxima           -7000                              -2300                           2300                        0                        -300
95 Camaro Z28              -8800                              -3000                           trade to BMW           0                         -12100
94 Camaro Z28               -900                                  0                                3500                        0                         -9500
99 Yamaha R6                 -2100                                0                                 3200                                                  -8400
01 Audi A4                    -12500                                0                                 13000                                                 -7900
00 Audi S4                    -16000                              -4000                           4700                    4800                       -18400
05 Honda CBR600         -2800                                 0                                 4200                       0                          -17000
99 BMW 540i             $0 (trade camaro)                  0                                 4900                                                    -12100
00 BMW 528i                 - 3000                                 0                                3500                       0                           -11600
11 Nissan Frontier          - 23000                                0                                 20000                     0                        -14600
01 Aprilia RST1000         - 3200                               -  600                             4200                                                -14400
06 Saab 93 Aero             - 4800                               -  300                             6200                                                 -13300
01 Saab 95 Aero             - 2200                               -  100                             3300                                                 -12300
01 Jeep GC                      -2400                                - 600                             4200                                                 -11100
2000 Ducati ST2             - 2100                                                                    currently own                                     -13200
06 Audi A4                      - 6800                                - 250                             currently own                                    -20000

Negative after having cars since '99. I was really into modifying them. It's a money pit, but I love it.
I am surprised that I'm only down by $20k. I thought all those years of buying and selling would have been much worse.
If i've learned anything from this, it's that if you're going to do it (buy a car), buy it when you don't NEED it. You save money on the purchase, not on getting lucky selling it later. I'll probably never fully erase that $20k number, but I won't lose my shirt anymore.  I've made money on the last few, and could profit from my current car, but I'm happy with it for now.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 09:07:37 AM »
I always just say congratulations and leave it at that. No need to meddle with their choices.

Overseas Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 11:19:40 PM »
@SpicyMcHaggus. I like your car chart imagine what a chart like that would look like if all the cars where bought brand new. IMO If you enjoy driving (not really a MMM thing to do but..) buying used lets you drive a nice Audi (or whatever car your into) for less then it cost to buy the cheapest brand new compact car on the market.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2015, 02:06:30 AM »
I'll never understand why friends post pictures of their new card on Facebook. One recently posted a picture of a new BMW SUV and said "now I'll finally have the commute I deserve!" Wtf is wrong with you????

Then there are the people that say "congratulations on the new car!" Huh? Why? Congrats on signing a piece of paper that commits you to flushing money down the toilet?

I went to school with a girl and I saw somewhere her stating (I'm not really on Facebook) this is our first Porsche. What a freaken moron.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2015, 08:46:19 AM »
I can deal with people saying "congratulations" when they hear about big purchases like cars, but what I cannot take is people GIVING THEIR CARS REAL PEOPLE NAMES. Humble-brag posts about their car "Alex" (not the car's real name) getting a full tank of gas or a car wash. Like it was a living pet or something!

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2015, 09:20:26 AM »
@SpicyMcHaggus. I like your car chart imagine what a chart like that would look like if all the cars where bought brand new. IMO If you enjoy driving (not really a MMM thing to do but..) buying used lets you drive a nice Audi (or whatever car your into) for less then it cost to buy the cheapest brand new compact car on the market.

Yup. I've gone over $15k twice. And it was a horrible mistake both times. My new rule is it must be under $15k, or have depreciated far enough that it will not lose value just sitting in the garage. (I'm interested in a Porsche 911) I acually just posted my Audi for sale for $12,500.. and am getting some hits.

I know people who have gone out and bought brand new Honda Fit/Civic/Corolla and spent >$20,000 on it, only to sell it 5 years later with 100k miles and only get back $7500.  I'm not interested in losing $12,500 to drive a mediocre appliance to and from work.  Heck, I could put 5 years of use on my Audi, set it on fire and lose about half as much.  But in reality, I will do a little wash/wax, and sell it for as much as or more than I paid.

My revolving door of used luxury and sport vehicles isn't for everyone. You have to be willing to do most of your own upkeep, and familiar with the issues a particular model may have. That's easy for me, I love cars, and DIY is the only way not to lose my shirt.  You also have to be willing to sell when the time is right. 

If you're really interested in saving money, ignore everything I have said, and go buy a used Honda Fit. Walk Run away from what I have done.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 09:29:44 AM »
I always post a picture of a new (to me) bike when I get it, bikes are my passion and I want to share that. I agree pictures of new cars are stupid to me and you, but I also understand why they post the picture, it is their passion to have that object and show it to their friends. The passion for that might not make sense to me, but I can understand it just the same. :)

Hurley82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 08:06:14 PM »
I agree that being ready to sell when the time is right is crucial. I purchased a 2007 wrangler unlimited used for $20k. I drove it for four years and put 40k miles on it. Never paid for any repairs just regular maintenance that I always do my self. I sold it for $21.5k when I realized I could get more for it than I paid for it.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2015, 08:21:32 AM »

At risk of taking the thread off topic, your comment here made me think of this video I saw a while back with a 1959 vs 2009 crash test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

Back on topic, I have a feeling that when I get a new car, it'll be posted on Facebook... bragging about how much car I got for how little money. :D Might be a while though, as barring catastrophe, I hope we've got at least another decade in our 2008 Fit.

lol yeah, the last 3 vehicles I sold, I sold for more than I paid in the first place. Feels good. :P

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2015, 09:31:10 AM »
I post pictures of my new car on facebook. I did it because I was excited about it. It's not really any different than people who post pictures of their new shoes, or new curtains or whatever.

The most common response I got wasn't Congrats but "ooh! It's shiny!"

And I'm not committed to flushing money down the toilet. That money was flushed the day I bought it.

I happened to buy a new car, newer used cars in this area are ridiculously over priced, and I wanted a few safety and a few luxury features that older used cars didn't have, but I've seen people post pictures of their "new to them" cars as well.

You are correct. Posting pics of your new car is no different than posting pics of your new shoes or shower curtains. All are equally and insipidly presumptive and obnoxious.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2015, 10:45:42 AM »

You are correct. Posting pics of your new car is no different than posting pics of your new shoes or shower curtains. All are equally and insipidly presumptive and obnoxious.

You probably shouldn't be friends with me on facebook then, things I'm excited about are one of the main things I post. 
Maybe you'd be happier with the people who only post political rants?

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2015, 12:28:00 PM »
Posting pics of your new car is no different than posting pics of your new shoes or shower curtains. All are equally and insipidly presumptive and obnoxious.

Hm. See, the way I define "presumptive and obnoxious" is telling people what aspects of their lives they should/shouldn't be sharing with their friends and families. But maybe that's just me.

I completely reserve the right to make fun of someone buying a second truck or a designer handbag, but I think they're totally entitled to share it with their circle if it's something they're excited about.