Author Topic: Complainypants vs. Stobbs  (Read 10776 times)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
Complainypants vs. Stobbs
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »
Moneyville, the Toronto Star's web page for money-related issues, always attracts math-phobic haters to its comments section, but they seem to have all come out in force to tell Tim Stobbs why he can't retire:

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/1131809--retiring-at-42-what-do-i-do-next

Sort of the Canadian version of MMM's MSN money thing...

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
Re: Complainypants vs. Stobbs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:02:24 PM »
I stopped reading at about comment 10... wow, haters gonna hate.

The "I'm 44, with one kid, $1M net worth and couldn't possibly retire now" [paraphrasing] got me... I am always reminded of the quote “People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” - George Bernard Shaw

Skinnyneo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tsumashiku Kurashii - Living Frugally in Japan
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:05:54 PM »
Yeah those comments are a pretty harsh read.  I love how "unrealistic" it all is when the person is question is doing it in REALITY!

Guitarist

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:54:36 PM »
There used to be a time I would get angry about comments like these. They complain about his lack of detail but then basically say $1.1 mil. isn't enough to retire on because. No real good reason, just because.

At this point in life, I just smile.
As a contemporary philosopher once said: "You can't fix stupid."

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:51:38 AM »
For me, it's a matter of translating those comments into what they are really saying:

"You can't possibly retire on 1.1M" actually means "I've been BS'ing everyone I'm worth 1.1M, now they are gonna start asking me why I don't retire. Quick, what new lie can I tell to cover this up?"

"This article is so insensitive considering the poor economy" actually means "Don't remind me that I was an idiot who spent all my extra money on useless crap instead of investing it."

Once you figure out what they are really saying, it's not so annoying.

MsLogica

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:23:35 AM »
I hope the guy hasn't taken all the comments on board, and he sticks with his plan and ignores the naysayers.  Sometimes I think people post things like that because they want reassurance, but the Internet rarely gives you that!

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »
The comments that were there didn't surprise me too much, jealousy and ignorance is pretty common.  But I'm very surprised there were no comments on there in support of him, or just general questions about how he is doing it and what is yearly living expenses are.  Seems like people would be interested in his story, even if doubtful of his numbers.

Of course those of us here know how reasonable he is, and it's certainly fun to prove naysayers wrong.

Matt K

• Bristles
    • Krull Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »
Sometimes I think people post things like that because they want reassurance, but the Internet rarely gives you that!

You obviously haven't spent enough time investigating the depths of the internet! You want reassurance for any stupid idea or ideaology, it's there on the internet. Flat earth society? Yup. Conspiracies of every sort? Yup. Rascist homophobic bigotry? Double yup.

The internet provides ample opportunity for like minded people to band together and counter the majority. It can be used for the positive (MMM), or the negative.

There is something special about national news service websites though. I cannot read comment section on the CBC News website without fearing for humanity's future. I haven't figured out where all the ignorance and hate comes from, or how it gets focused on those news sites - but it does.

It takes a lot of backbone to write something seen by a wide audience on the internet. You have to be pretty good at reminding yourself the comments directed at you and your writing are reflections of the people writing the comments, not of you.

MsLogica

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 10:58:13 AM »
You obviously haven't spent enough time investigating the depths of the internet! You want reassurance for any stupid idea or ideaology, it's there on the internet. Flat earth society? Yup. Conspiracies of every sort? Yup. Rascist homophobic bigotry? Double yup.

The internet provides ample opportunity for like minded people to band together and counter the majority. It can be used for the positive (MMM), or the negative.

You're quite right, I shouldn't have generalised. :) I was thinking more about mainstream sites rather than niche sites, I should've been clearer.

Speaking of news sites, I've noticed that the BBC and The Guardian (British newspaper) have both reduced the number of articles they allow comments on.  I guess they got fed up of all the daft comments they were getting!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!