Author Topic: Company Catering to Big Egos with Big Trucks  (Read 13417 times)

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
Company Catering to Big Egos with Big Trucks
« on: January 14, 2015, 07:24:55 AM »
So y'all know how some responsible workplaces will take a few spots near the front of the parking lot and add bike racks or split them in half for motorcycles? The company I work at has actually gone the other way: They've removed the line between 6 sets of 2 parking spots in order to make it easier for managers with 4x4, extended-cab-whatever trucks to park. So they've eliminated 6 spots in our already-crowded lot to allow managers to buy even bigger, wasteful vehicles. These trucks are always spotless and never have anything in the bed or a trailer attached. And the parking spots are already big to begin with! Lots of mechanics drive trucks and they fit just fine.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: Company Catering to Big Egos with Big Trucks
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 07:34:05 AM »
When I lived in Silicon Valley, my roommate worked for a tech company that offered parking spaces as a perk for their developers.  They regularly gave out double-spaces to employees with really nice cars so that they didn't have to worry about door dings or pulling straight into a space like a normal person.  The parking lot looked ridiculous, with expensive cars all parked at skewy angles - it gave the impression that a bunch of drunk rich people just pulled into work.  Shoulda taken a picture!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 05:21:34 PM »
Advertisement. "Work for us and buy a Ferrari."

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 06:57:28 PM »
Are there employer provided truck testicles for these managers?

Rosbif

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 07:59:28 AM »
Help me out here, is this an American phrase?

Yours,

Confused of Europe.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 08:12:26 AM »
it's a "set" you litteraly hang on the hitch, classy!

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 08:22:13 AM »

Quote from: fantabulous on January 14, 2015, 06:57:28 PM

Worse- it's an American product.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=trucks+wth+truck+testicles+&FORM=HDRSC2#a

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 08:56:53 AM »

Man, every time I see these on the highway I cringe.  I think to myself "God, that's a messed up message - does this mean that your manhood is literally affixed to your truck?  If you get in an accident or someone steals your ride, does that mean your manhood is gone??"

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 09:20:42 AM »
What do you do, work for the WWE?

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 09:28:06 AM »

World Wide... Huh? I work for a large manufacturer in Texas, more trucks and SUV's than cars in the parking lot.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 09:28:56 AM »

Man, every time I see these on the highway I cringe.  I think to myself "God, that's a messed up message - does this mean that your manhood is literally affixed to your truck?  If you get in an accident or someone steals your ride, does that mean your manhood is gone??"

My wife just yesterday when we ended up behind a truck with a pair of those told me if I ever got those for any of my vehicles that she'd consider me as not needing my real ones any more.

Personally, I've always had the urge to carry a pair of bolt cutters around and a stack of Bob Barker stickers that say, "Don't forget to spay or neuter your vehicles!"

TrulyStashin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 09:30:39 AM »

I think it's sweet that our capitalist system has given these men an opportunity to buy what mother nature failed to give them.  [sarcasm]

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 09:30:57 AM »

World Wide... Huh? I work for a large manufacturer in Texas, more trucks and SUV's than cars in the parking lot.

Welcome to Texas.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 09:37:45 AM »
An old friend from high school referred to big trucks as "little penis trucks". I still find it appropriate.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 09:43:42 AM »

You know pro wrestling.   

Ahh, Texas.    I lived in Dallas until I was 12.    I still don't understand the obcession with large trucks and SUVs that Texans have.    I've lived in Cleveland, Rochester Ny and now Denver.    I've never had a truck or 4wd and I actually had to drive through blizzards to get to work.    Dallas would get a quarter inch of snow a year and everyone had a 4x4 truck.   What the hell is the point?

If you're going to burn lots of fuel why wouldn't you just buy a Corvette?    At least it would be fun to drive.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 09:49:50 AM »

Ahh, Texas.    I lived in Dallas until I was 12.    I still don't understand the obcession with large trucks and SUVs that Texans have.    I've lived in Cleveland, Rochester Ny and now Denver.    I've never had a truck or 4wd and I actually had to drive through blizzards to get to work.    Dallas would get a quarter inch of snow a year and everyone had a 4x4 truck.   What the hell is the point?
I would say the same for DC and Honda Pilots with 4WD.  I was visiting friends who drove a grey Pilot and they picked me up at the airport but then couldn't remember precisely where they parked.  It seemed like every 5th car was a $40k grey Pilot.  We determined it's the DC area's unofficial vehicle.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 10:19:45 AM »

I would say the same for DC and Honda Pilots with 4WD.  I was visiting friends who drove a grey Pilot and they picked me up at the airport but then couldn't remember precisely where they parked.  It seemed like every 5th car was a $40k grey Pilot.  We determined it's the DC area's unofficial vehicle.

If gas prices stay low, I perceive a point where yuppies think they need vehicles with tank tracks to drive through an inch of snow.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 10:42:48 AM »

Having to field questions from small school children when trucks with these went through car line at the elementary school was horrible.

I can't believe there are parents out there who have these.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 11:07:32 AM »
Florida has banned the display of truck nutz. It's probably the only single positive action taken by my state gub'ment in the last 17 years I've lived here.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 12:23:04 PM »
I was once coerced to put a pair of these on the car of a kid that was way too into his car,.  Of course I was inebriated and for the record this was during my salad days.   I regret it now, but I do have to say it was pretty funny to think about him driving around and doing errands with a large pair of blue balls hanging off the back of his orange mazda.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:37:21 PM by greaper007 »

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 12:48:01 PM »
Florida has banned the display of truck nutz. It's probably the only single positive action taken by my state gub'ment in the last 17 years I've lived here.

I suspect this only happened because someone said the display of truck nutz advances "the homosexual agenda".

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 01:52:10 PM »

I suspect this only happened because someone said the display of truck nutz advances "the homosexual agenda".

Will this be the next first amendment showdown?  Let us proudly display our idols of masculinity!

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 02:48:58 PM »

Will this be the next first amendment showdown?  Let us proudly display our idols of masculinity!

I suppose an argument for that could be made. However, I've always seen these things affixed to the hitch with some sort of cable or cord or what not, so that they can swing about. I always worried a bit about the truck nutz coming loose and flying into my windshield. So I suppose it could be merely a safety issue that has them banned.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 05:52:33 PM »
I suppose an argument for that could be made. However, I've always seen these things affixed to the hitch with some sort of cable or cord or what not, so that they can swing about. I always worried a bit about the truck nutz coming loose and flying into my windshield. So I suppose it could be merely a safety issue that has them banned.

"giant flying rubber nutz causes 12 car pile-up on the I-5.  Story at 11."

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 09:48:58 AM »

You know pro wrestling.   

If you're going to burn lots of fuel why wouldn't you just buy a Corvette?    At least it would be fun to drive.

Newer Corvettes actually get pretty decent gas mileage on the highway. And it would be fun to drive. :)

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 10:40:21 AM »

You know pro wrestling.   

Newer Corvettes actually get pretty decent gas mileage on the highway. And it would be fun to drive. :)

Yeah, even older ones do (since 84 or so).    I just couldn't think of a sub 20 mpg car that went fast and cost around the same as one of these fully loaded pickups.   

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 10:48:30 AM »
I think it's sweet that our capitalist system has given these men an opportunity to buy what mother nature failed to give them.  [sarcasm]

Truly Stashin for the win!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 02:12:38 PM »

Yeah, even older ones do (since 84 or so).    I just couldn't think of a sub 20 mpg car that went fast and cost around the same as one of these fully loaded pickups.   
The Chevy Camero and the Chevy SS are both pretty craptastic fuel-wise, and cost about what a fully loaded F-250 would.  Just fyi...

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 02:49:06 PM »
Dodge Challenger Hellcat, with a ticket price of $60k (almost fully loaded, another couple for a non-manual) gets 22 on the highway. That's not great but it's better than many cars got not so long ago. That, and 707 horsepower bone stock. That's around what the F250 gets, if not better. And let's be honest, by the time most people leave the dealership with an F250, they've been sold so many upgrade packages they could have just bought a Raptor instead, which is far cooler as far as pickup trucks go. Or a hellcat. Drive a hellcat and you don't need truck nutz to tell people you like to do testosterone-fuelled activities.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 01:45:21 PM »
Dodge Challenger Hellcat, with a ticket price of $60k (almost fully loaded, another couple for a non-manual) gets 22 on the highway. That's not great but it's better than many cars got not so long ago. That, and 707 horsepower bone stock. That's around what the F250 gets, if not better. And let's be honest, by the time most people leave the dealership with an F250, they've been sold so many upgrade packages they could have just bought a Raptor instead, which is far cooler as far as pickup trucks go. Or a hellcat. Drive a hellcat and you don't need truck nutz to tell people you like to do testosterone-fuelled activities.

My thoughts exactly.   I've driven trucks before, but they were all related to a job.   I would occasionally drive a truck when I did construction (most of the trades had vans, the smart ones drove minvans) and I used to drive a fuel truck at an airport.    I've never understood why someone would want one of these for status, or recreation    Maybe if you're really outdoorsy, but most of these guys cry over a paint chip.   

They have horrible handling characteristics, they're slow and they burn fuel.    The only reason you should be driving one of these is if it's related to your job.   Either hauling or towing.   Trucks as a status symbol are as baffling to me as African tribes that put discs in their lips.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 10:32:40 PM »
Oh man, the truck nutz foam has been hilarious. You guys are hilarious...and I'm totally refering to them as "little penis trucks" from now on lol.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 10:45:54 AM »
I used to drive a fuel truck at an airport

So did I at my last job before ER...  A 750 gallon 100LL, and 2000 gallon Jet-A, both 1985 F800's. Both leaking, EPA wet dream POS that I fixed all the time.  Funny how the boss had a F350, and his kid a super lifted F250 w/6.2L.  Both of these clowns loved to make fun of folks with "Jap cars" (like my 06 5M Matrix), and would idle them for hours for little reason...  What is it with these a-holes that never shut the damn things down?  Yeah, 0 MPG is so smart.  Sorry to stereotype, but both suffered from little man syndrome to the max.  Jesus, have you folks looked at the price of new "trucks"...  What the hell has happened?  $60k for a new high end F150/GMC pickup...  Fucking madness, and I don't even think you can even get a MT in either brand.  Dodge may still offer a MT?

Lastly, I also drove a rollback to do repos, and that sucked.  I like trucks, but for a daily driver, make mine a nice, fuel efficient sedan. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 11:41:21 AM »
So did I at my last job before ER...  A 750 gallon 100LL, and 2000 gallon Jet-A, both 1985 F800's. Both leaking, EPA wet dream POS that I fixed all the time.  Funny how the boss had a F350, and his kid a super lifted F250 w/6.2L.  Both of these clowns loved to make fun of folks with "Jap cars" (like my 06 5M Matrix), and would idle them for hours for little reason...  What is it with these a-holes that never shut the damn things down?  Yeah, 0 MPG is so smart.  Sorry to stereotype, but both suffered from little man syndrome to the max.

Lol - reminded me of a previous job where I worked on a municipal wharf.   Every morning the 'old-timers' would drive up in their massive pickup trucks (never more than 1 person per vehicle), park perpendicularly to the designated parking slots and then just sit there with their engines running while they BSed about fish that got away, women who were 'chasing them' and how the government was screwing them.  This went on, every day, for like an hour.  It pissed me off because they got in the way of our forklift and we constantly had to park further away because they were squatting across three parking spaces each.  If it was a nice day they'd get out of their trucks (engines still running), put their styrofoam cups of coffee on their hood and bitch about everything.  If it was a crappy day they'd just yell through open windows.  I understand fishermen having pickups, but every one of these guys had 'sold out' their permits years ago and were completely retired.
<<rant over>>

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2015, 11:25:31 AM »
This beauty had a 6" exhaust tip and a set of testicles.

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »
Apparently you didn't didn't get the memo that a new pickup makes you cooler and more attractive to the opposite sex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRojLpyvZlU

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2015, 07:37:37 PM »
Apparently you didn't didn't get the memo that a new pickup makes you cooler and more attractive to the opposite sex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRojLpyvZlU

And in case that ad was too subtle.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9sa2iHRB-k

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2015, 07:23:41 AM »

My wife just yesterday when we ended up behind a truck with a pair of those told me if I ever got those for any of my vehicles that she'd consider me as not needing my real ones any more.

Personally, I've always had the urge to carry a pair of bolt cutters around and a stack of Bob Barker stickers that say, "Don't forget to spay or neuter your vehicles!"

Bahahaha yes!!!

An old friend from high school referred to big trucks as "little penis trucks". I still find it appropriate.

I always call them that too, LOL.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2015, 01:16:32 PM »
I have to admit to wanting a truck.
Mostly for the ability to haul things for my rental properties.
Secondary as a winter commuter. So many basketball sized chunks of ice laying in the road here. Hit one today with my low car, will have to inspect damage later. Alternatively, moving to the west coast where it doesn't snow for 5 months a year is looking better every year.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2015, 03:44:07 PM »

ETA: My truck is a 2001 Ford Ranger extra cab V-6. Big gas hog and very unmustachian except for it's old and has a billion miles on it.  I had 2 other trucks before as well (3 if you count ex-DH's). All 4 cylinder little trucks though.

Ford Ranger?!! That's not even a truck! So much so Ford doesn't sell it in the US anymore (though they do worldwide interestingly enough). It's too small to be a truck, it may as well be a prius! You need to upgrade to an f-150, girl. *end sarcasm*

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2015, 08:44:06 PM »
Not aimed at poster above*

I still think a minivan is about 10x more useful as a camping, hauling, people moving vehicle than just about any truck.    I dislike anything with motors in the backwoods and really think you should park those things at the trail head and hike in.     I've never understood how driving something with 4wd makes you an "Outdoorsman."

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2015, 11:43:39 PM »
Guess we need the female version of truck nuts for our trucks (Dear God No! Just joking! Please don't post any pictures of whatever those would be. EEK!!).

I believe this would simply be a car (truck) bra. Are those even still a thing?

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2015, 08:14:22 AM »
Guess we need the female version of truck nuts for our trucks (Dear God No! Just joking! Please don't post any pictures of whatever those would be. EEK!!).

How about a bra and panties!

So if you date a guy with truck nuts, should you be required to buy a car thong?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2015, 08:24:39 AM »
You're welcome to drive whatever vehicle you like. You're welcome to accessorize it however you like.

Just be aware that I'm going to judge you for your choices.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2015, 08:35:17 AM »

How about a bra and panties!

KILL IT WITH FIRE

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2015, 09:08:41 AM »
"Big Hat No Cattle" is what we call them here in my mostly rural state!  I too think 'tiny penis' when I see a huge truck +/or nutz.

I do live rural and there are a bunch of them around.  I get having an extended cab for a family - that rodeos, does horse-shows, ranches, etc. as that is the norm in my neighborhood...however as a commuter for one person...not so much.

I, too, am a female w/a truck, also oldish 2001, but bought with cash & has low miles.  Drive it because I have stuff for my side hustle to haul.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2015, 10:43:11 AM »
I drive a truck. I get about 16mpg average.  But I need it to tow my boat that I use almost every weekend.  I tow it approximately 100 miles every trip, and get 10mpg when towing.  My boat burns fuel at 4 mpg. I drive the shit out of that thing too.   

Truck nutz are a no go, though.

You're welcome to drive whatever vehicle you like. You're welcome to accessorize it however you like.

Just be aware that I'm going to judge you for your choices.

No different than doing anything on this planet.  You will be judged.  By me and by everyone else.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:46:24 AM by shotgunwilly »

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2015, 12:04:25 PM »
There are pink truck nutz now that I've seen on ladies' trucks.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2015, 02:37:30 PM »
There are pink truck nutz now that I've seen on ladies' trucks.

I am a pre-op trans woman and that is too much for even me.