Author Topic: Comcast rep just will not let you cancel  (Read 5139 times)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Comcast rep just will not let you cancel
« on: July 15, 2014, 07:46:16 AM »
Poor guy, he must be on a warning because his numbers are too low for the month...

http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/15/tech-blogger-tries-to-cancel-comcast-service-hilarity-ensues/

Anyway, this got me thinking, since in a couple of months I will have to do the cancellation dance to get my ISP to keep me at their intro rate. If you were completely okay with lying, what's the best reason you could give to cancel?

1) (in a dumb voice) Meh, man, I already have, like, unlimited data on my phone you know...
2) Mean boys at school are harrassing my son on ask.fm, I want us out of this internet thing
3) I have a new job and they offer a corporate discount at <other ISP>
4) My wife divorced me, she was the one watching Netflix
5) Facebook stopped working on my computer, I'm just going to use my phone now
6) I have credit card debt and can't afford the extra $20 per month
7) your best reason here!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
Re: Comcast rep just will not let you cancel
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 07:59:34 AM »
8) Cable is so 20th century!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:08:27 AM »
geez. that was annoying to listen too. I hate comcast.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:12:20 AM »
I got real sick last week, and it's because of all the damn viruses on your internet! [/angry old man voice]

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 08:12:47 AM »
7) Your company provides the most annoying and abusive utility that I have to deal with on a regular basis, and I'd rather remove my own appendix without anesthesia than repeatedly needing to call in just to negotiate a reasonable rate from you clowns every six months. I don't want to do business with you again until your billing is regulated by our state's public utilities commission.

If you were completely okay with lying, what's the best reason you could give to cancel?

Why lie when the truth trumps it all? ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 08:20:28 AM by I.P. Daley »

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 08:28:38 AM »

+1!!

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 08:42:50 AM »
Yeah, I switch frequently to get the best rates, and I just tell them that I am switching to the other guy, tell them the rate I am switching to and the extras they offer me.  Usually my current cable/internet provider can't match it so he will make some half-hearted performance claims which I just ignore and keep saying "I still want to cancel".  Eventually they give it.  It IS a painful conversation though. 

I really need to convince my family to give up cable.....

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 08:48:16 AM »
7) Your company provides the most annoying and abusive utility that I have to deal with on a regular basis, and I'd rather remove my own appendix without anesthesia than repeatedly needing to call in just to negotiate a reasonable rate from you clowns every six months. I don't want to do business with you again until your billing is regulated by our state's public utilities commission.

If you were completely okay with lying, what's the best reason you could give to cancel?

If only... now if I were really moving away to another provider, that would be my goto line. But such a strong worded statement might lead them to just cancel without putting up a fight and then I look like a fool trying to backpedal because all I wanted was extending the discounted rate.

Maybe being brutally honest with the rep could work though. "Look, you and I both know that we both benefit if you get to keep another account active, and I get to keep my rate, so let's just do that m'okay?". If they keep a summary of calls shared among the reps, that might be a black spot on the record when you call again 6 months from now. Sigh.

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 08:51:49 AM »
You are allowed to call Communistcast anytime your rates return to full prices and ask them to put them on the current deal rates. They won't tell you that but you just can. Now gratned their "deal" rates are very expensive anyway but I did drop mine from ~180mo/ down to $111/mo with a simple phone call.(TV and Interwebs)

If you want to cancel service, do NOT use the phone option to "cancel or chance service", use the "Add" phone option and they will pick right and not put you on auto 30 minute hold.

MamaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 09:26:13 AM »
What worked for us:

DH called Comcast and told them that I (DW) was making him cancel.  DH had the final say in actuality, but told them I was the one making us cancel.   It worked like a charm.    We did in fact end up canceling, but not before they were offering lower rates than the intro price.    They also contacted him a day after we officially canceled to offer an even lower rate to persuade us to stay.

They play horrible pricing games with their customers.    You can treat them the same way.   What do you even have to lose?   They may actually allow you to cancel a service you believe is overpriced anyway and you could find another option by going with another company or finding a way to reduce your service and useage.

Research other options and your actual needs in the next few months before you call them.  Do not let them talk you into larger packages than you need.

Megatron

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 09:49:58 AM »
Hilarious. reminds me of when I had to deal with headhunters who found my linkedin profile.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 10:13:08 AM »
My experience was extremely weird when I cancelled my cable.

Cable Representative:  "Do you mind if I ask why you're cancelling?"
Me:  "Because TV has gotten way too stupid for me.  'Honey Boo Boo', 'Real Housewives'... 'Duck Dynasty' was really the last straw."
Representative:  "I agree--I think it's all pretty stupid too."
Me:  "Errr..."  (Privately wondering if she's even supposed to say something like that or if it's some sort of reverse psychology mind trick.)
Representative:  "OK, you're now cancelled.  Your last day will be the end of the billing period 30th."
Me:  "Hey, thanks!"