Author Topic: Colleague just made fun of me for buying clothes at Goodwill  (Read 10280 times)

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
Colleague just made fun of me for buying clothes at Goodwill
« on: April 26, 2018, 01:49:09 PM »
I was having coffee after lunch with a colleague at a coffee shop he likes to frequent, where he always chats up the baristas.  My friend complimented the barista on his t-shirt.  The barista said he got it at Goodwill.  So I got to chatting with the barista, and we discovered that we shop at the same Goodwill store. 

My colleague was baffled.  He furrowed his brow and asked, "Why were you at Goodwill?" "I like to recycle," I said, adding, "and where else am I going to get a Ralph Lauren dress for $7?"  He laughed and told me that that's gross.  Um, okay.  To each his own.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
Re: Colleague just made fun of me for buying clothes at Goodwill
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 01:58:41 PM »
Might be too late to bring it back up, but if it comes up again you should ask him why.

Has he never received hand-me-down clothes?
Has he never played on a sports team where uniforms are shared?
Even the clothes you buy new were often tried on by someone else.

Chances are he's never even given it much thought, maybe he'll learn something.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 01:59:55 PM »
I'm constantly bragging on my Goodwill wardrobe! I just went there and bought 2 pairs of shorts and 7 shirts for under $50 - that represents all of my spending on summer wardrobe. I may spend a little more in the fall to freshen up my winter wardrobe, but I usually spend no more that $100 a year on clothing.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 02:01:33 PM »
My father in law was the same about charity shops until I pointed out that every time he stays in a hotel he’s sleeping in sheets and drying his arse with towels that others have used. Since then he has joined mother in law in some thrifting adventures 😂

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 02:02:44 PM »
I bragged about the two dresses I just got, one for a themed event, and people were impressed. I got them off a trading group on fb along with a pair of rain paints, in exchange for some groceries. Awesome deal for a beautiful dress that fit me perfectly and I received many compliments on it. Winning!

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 03:43:09 PM »
In my community, a recent facebook thread on where to buy good used baby clothes attracted a bunch of trolls who referenced smallpox blankets as the reason they don't buy secondhand baby stuff.

I can only assume they were either trolls or people without the ability to wash clothes. Otherwise, I can't imagine a single good reason to buy brand new clothing for a slobber machine who is going to dribble all over it for about one month before they grow out of it.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 07:33:34 PM »
Dabnasty, I thought the same thing about trying on clothes, but I forgot to mention it.  But maybe I will bring it up again!

ducky19, $50 for a summer wardrobe--sounds like you did well!

madgeylou, good point about the hotel sheets.  I might add that to my comments if I do bring it up again (which I likely will, knowing me).  I love that you got your FIL to rethink things--and I bet your MIL appreciated it, too!

PoutineLover, trading is even better than goodwill!  Well done!

tyrannostache, some people are ridiculous.  Smallpox?  Whatever.

Clookie

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 09:09:01 PM »
Also, if he has rented a carnival costume or a party outfit, that has been worn before.
It's much more about the social status of buying new clothes than about anything else.
Do you remember the Johnny Bravo cartoon? He always said "I can't be seen without my glasses!".
My guess is that so is your friend, he can't be seen shopping at Goodwill.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 09:18:33 PM »
Where is this Goodwill store in Miami? Enquiring minds want to know...

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 08:17:03 AM »
My father in law was the same about charity shops until I pointed out that every time he stays in a hotel he’s sleeping in sheets and drying his arse with towels that others have used. Since then he has joined mother in law in some thrifting adventures 😂

AWESOME answer.

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 08:37:14 AM »
Goodwill and Rent the Runway are different how? 

You get to keep the clothes from Goodwill.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 08:59:06 AM »
nobody has addressed the real issue here.

What were you doing in a coffee shop that has barista's after lunch????

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 12:20:19 PM »

Towels! That's my new example from now on. I just hope it doesn't have the unintended consequence of turning them into a germaphobe.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »

Hahaha.  Truth?  I live in Miami.  Coffee after lunch is a mainstay of the culture here.  Business is happening over coffee.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 12:38:01 PM »

Hahaha.  Truth?  I live in Miami.  Coffee after lunch is a mainstay of the culture here.  Business is happening over coffee.

Yes but cheap coffee in Miami is Cuban coffee, a fraction of the price of Starbucks. No Cuban coffee maker would call themselves a barista.

Just like a Cuban sandwich rebranded as a panini can go for twice as much money.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 12:59:49 PM »

Yes but cheap coffee in Miami is Cuban coffee, a fraction of the price of Starbucks. No Cuban coffee maker would call themselves a barista.

Just like a Cuban sandwich rebranded as a panini can go for twice as much money.

True!  But did you know that the new Starbucks location on Miracle Mile in Coral Gables now has a ventanita and is selling what they are calling "Starbucks cortadito"?  It's not at all a cortadito, btw, or so I've read.  Haven't tried it myself.  But it's only one of two ventanitas allowed in the Gables.  The other is at Tinta y Cafe. 

As for Cuban sandwiches, I prefer the ones from the Rinconcito Latino near me, which is actually not even owned by Cubans--I think the family is from Central America.

Chadbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 11:04:34 AM »
In my community, a recent facebook thread on where to buy good used baby clothes attracted a bunch of trolls who referenced smallpox blankets as the reason they don't buy secondhand baby stuff.
We were recently given a ton of boy clothing from a coworker who smokes, everything went through the washer twice with oxyclean. We have already told family to not buy any clothes for when our son is born. I know a lot of people who wouldn’t have taken the clothes because of the smoke smell, but we figured if anything got ruined by washing (shoes or coats), oh well, it was free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 11:33:16 AM »

@madgeylou your comment made my day. :) :) :)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 12:35:52 PM »
I love getting nice used clothing, especially formal dress clothes for work!

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 05:22:23 AM »

I'm dreaming of a colada right now!

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 06:16:56 AM »

@madgeylou your comment made my day. :) :) :)

:)

Either you believe in washing machines or you don’t! 😂

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 08:42:55 AM »
Several of my favourite clothing items were charity shop finds. Your colleague may be making fun of you now, but you're the one who won't be spending ridiculous amounts of money on fashion.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 09:50:01 AM »
My coworkers make fun of my kijiji/thrift store habits, specifically for baby/maternity things. They will all laugh when I retire at 40 :D.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 05:39:39 PM »
I love the "treasure hunt" feel that comes with thrift store shopping - and there's so many items that have never been used that get donated as well. Not clothing, but of the nicest items I own came from a thrift store - I was looking to get a sushi plate, and got a fancy looking enamel copper plate for $5 or so. I googled the inscription on the back when I got home, and discovered it was made by an Italian studio back in the 50s/60s. (It is a flatter version of this plate: http://www.patrickparrish.com/vintage/collection/item/808) Best find I've ever had!

Also, people who look down on thrifting/buying secondhand makes me think of the Office episode where Dwight and Ryan both show up to work wearing the same shirt.

Dwight: Bet you I got mine for less than yours.
Ryan: I bet you did.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 05:44:24 PM »
I love the "treasure hunt" feel that comes with thrift store shopping - and there's so many items that have never been used that get donated as well. Not clothing, but of the nicest items I own came from a thrift store - I was looking to get a sushi plate, and got a fancy looking enamel copper plate for $5 or so. I googled the inscription on the back when I got home, and discovered it was made by an Italian studio back in the 50s/60s. (It is a flatter version of this plate: http://www.patrickparrish.com/vintage/collection/item/808) Best find I've ever had!

Also, people who look down on thrifting/buying secondhand makes me think of the Office episode where Dwight and Ryan both show up to work wearing the same shirt.

Dwight: Bet you I got mine for less than yours.
Ryan: I bet you did.

hahahaha i forgot about that one!

i have found so many treasures in the thrift store -- my favorite was probably a gorgeous tangerine wool coat from the 1960s, lined with silk satin, in pristine condition except for a big brown stain on the front. i bought it for $3 and had it cleaned for $20, figuring it was worth the risk. it cleaned up perfectly and i had the flyest winter coat of all time for years. in a "vintage" store i have seen coats of similar provence, but not as nice, going for $200. craziness.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 07:54:24 PM »

True!  But did you know that the new Starbucks location on Miracle Mile in Coral Gables now has a ventanita and is selling what they are calling "Starbucks cortadito"?  It's not at all a cortadito, btw, or so I've read.  Haven't tried it myself.  But it's only one of two ventanitas allowed in the Gables.  The other is at Tinta y Cafe. 

As for Cuban sandwiches, I prefer the ones from the Rinconcito Latino near me, which is actually not even owned by Cubans--I think the family is from Central America.

Starbucks cortadito...blasphemy!

I heard it took a long time to actually get a Starbucks to open in Hialeah as there was always a strong coffee culture there and people didn't want to go to a Starbucks when there are literally dozens of Cuban cafes with "ventanitas" all around.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2018, 12:07:37 PM »
I would guess that your coworker never eats at a restaurant either.  Just think of all of the mouths that fork has been in before yours!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2018, 12:59:35 PM »
I would guess that your coworker never eats at a restaurant either.  Just think of all of the mouths that fork has been in before yours!

I think it was a bad idea for me to come to this thread today

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2018, 02:03:44 PM »

I think it was a bad idea for me to come to this thread today

You ever think about where that hand you're shaking has been?

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2018, 02:13:34 PM »
Smallpox blankets?!
Wow. I mean, you don't have to buy used clothes if you don't want to, but equating thrift shops with 18th century war crimes via eradicated diseases is a bit much.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 02:29:04 PM »

I'm gonna use this one! Just scared that when using it on my mom she'll use it as an excuse to start brining her own towels and linens into a hotel :p.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 03:08:27 PM »

..goes to budget spreadsheet, totally eliminates restaurant expense line, moves FIRE date forward a week.

Thanks

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »

..goes to budget spreadsheet, totally eliminates restaurant expense line, moves FIRE date forward a week.

Thanks

Glad I could help!  lol

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2018, 04:48:30 AM »
Our sons, during 2-3 years of high school, were always needing a nice suit jacket for some event; either for speech, interviews, or prom.  We sent them off to Goodwill.  The most they ever paid for a jacket was $8.  Such a deal, that way if there was a weight fluctuation, they would just go buy another one.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2018, 05:10:10 AM »

I'm gonna use this one! Just scared that when using it on my mom she'll use it as an excuse to start brining her own towels and linens into a hotel :p.

...My mom already wants to bring her own sheets and towels...yet loves thrift store shopping haha. My brother on the other hand doesn't like travel for the above GERM reasons and 100% won't buy clothes second hand.

Some how I missed this behavioral quirk, thank goodness. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 06:53:19 AM »
Shopping at Goodwill also supports their mission: education, training, and job placement.  A lot of people think their mission is providing cheap clothes to people in need. (Some people WON'T shop there because "it is stealing cheap clothes from poor people who need them".)   But that isn't their mission statement at all. It's "Goodwill strives to enhance the dignity and quality of life of individuals and families by helping people reach their full potential through education, skills training and the power of work."  They do that with the money they make from their stores.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2018, 09:56:03 AM »

He laughed and told me that that's gross.

The day after you retire early you should wait for him at the same coffee shop, and say "You're still working?  That's gross."

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 11:04:06 AM »
...My mom already wants to bring her own sheets and towels...yet loves thrift store shopping haha.

I have a cousin who is like this--she knows that she will wash any thrift store purchases but cannot control the laundry situation at a hotel and brings her own sheets.  I see the logic.

The day after you retire early you should wait for him at the same coffee shop, and say "You're still working?  That's gross."

Hahaha.  Although I bet he'd be happy for me.  He's a good friend, after all.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2018, 12:15:08 PM »
Shopping at Goodwill also supports their mission: education, training, and job placement.  A lot of people think their mission is providing cheap clothes to people in need. (Some people WON'T shop there because "it is stealing cheap clothes from poor people who need them".)   But that isn't their mission statement at all. It's "Goodwill strives to enhance the dignity and quality of life of individuals and families by helping people reach their full potential through education, skills training and the power of work."  They do that with the money they make from their stores.
I've heard this one too!  "You mean, you're allowed to shop at Goodwill even if you're not, like, poor?"  Um, yes.  It's a public store.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2018, 01:17:37 PM »
Around here it's what old ladies and a surprising number of old men do for entertainment. Retiree heaven - really?, I'm trying to de-clutter not buy more stuff I don't need - well, except books.
So I bought 30 books and gaped at the traffic in the store - elbow to elbow (I kid you not) perusing other deceased old people's old china and stuff - yup, it's gross, except when they have something I want:).
Three lines at the checkout - 20 people in line at ten in the morning - what gives? Do I live in Mustacheland?

You can tell when it is 50% off clothing, because you can't get a parking spot. We now have nine different thrift stores within three miles of our house, not to mention several huge "Everything is a Dollar" stores, all of them packed. Oh, I forgot the Army-Navy surplus store ...

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2018, 01:25:10 PM »

He laughed and told me that that's gross.

Think of all the diseases the coworker is exposing themselves by continuing to work. First there is the plague. Then there is smallpox. And then of course the cooties... They should retire for their own safety...

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2018, 02:50:57 PM »
Brag alert:  I'm proud that I taught my kids right.  When my son was about 4, he would say things like "I'm wearing my Goodwill shirt." Like it was a brand name. :D  Now that he buys his own clothes, he gets them from the thrift store!  Why pay $40+ for a pair of jeans when you can pay $6?

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2018, 02:51:30 PM »
Brag alert:  I'm proud that I taught my kids right.  When my son was about 4, he would say things like "I'm wearing my Goodwill shirt." Like it was a brand name. :D  Now that he buys his own clothes, he gets them from the thrift store!  Why pay $40+ for a pair of jeans when you can pay $6?

I'm an adult lady, so the ratio is more like $90:$6.
Plus, the Goodwill near me reliably has cashmere and merino sweaters. Similar cost ratio, and I get to wear absurdly cuddly sweaters all winter long. I look so luxe! (Plus, they were $6! When they get dirty or stinky, I toss them in the washing machine with the "delicate" load!)

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2018, 12:34:08 PM »
Our sons, during 2-3 years of high school, were always needing a nice suit jacket for some event; either for speech, interviews, or prom.  We sent them off to Goodwill.  The most they ever paid for a jacket was $8.  Such a deal, that way if there was a weight fluctuation, they would just go buy another one.

This reminds me of a goofy friend of mine from years ago.  He needed to do some painting and didn't want to ruin any clothes.  So, he did like your sons and bought a suit from a thrift store.  He told me it was a high class paint job. 

There is a lot of stuff left out there sold in these places with a lot of utility left to be used.

Selah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »
My husband often does work as an extra, where the casting agent asks everyone to arrive wearing a certain "look." Goodwill is a godsend, plus the clothes are a tax write off. He's still wearing the three Hawaiian shirts he needed for a shoot in which he played a tourist!

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2018, 01:44:19 PM »
I love these stories!  Hawaiian shirts--does he really want to keep them?  ;P  Painting in a suit--I can't imagine that was comfortable, but I bet he felt classy!

I visited my favorite Goodwill Superstore again this weekend, and I got a very nice nearly-new button-down white-collared shirt for my 11 year old to wear to an event next week--for $4.  Also picked up a couple of Corelle cereal bowls for $1 each.  Sweet.

zoltani

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2018, 01:49:41 PM »
You're taking your colleague too seriously. This is called a tease, something people close do to each other. My coworkers and I tease each other constantly. Next time he says something like "eww that's gross" just reply with something like "but I always wash the underwear before wearing". Trying to defend or explain yourself in these situations is stupid.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!