Author Topic: Coffee for Morons  (Read 6738 times)

SMC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Coffee for Morons
« on: May 30, 2013, 09:35:28 AM »
I was on my way to the bank, turned the corner and came across this.  A line-up probably 50+ people long waiting to buy coffee from Tim Horton's.  Absolutely blew my mind, for three reasons.

A) I don't drink coffee. 
B) Even if I did drink coffee, there is free coffee provided in my office (and probably in the respective office's of 99% of the people pictured) and I therefore have no need to pay $3 for a cup. 
C) Even if I did drink coffee AND I was willing to pay $3 for a cup, I have enough self dignity that I would never even consider waiting in line for 15+ mins to do so. 

WTF is wrong with people!?  The urge to go on a face-punching spree was so strong I could barely restrain myself as I walked by.

arbor mententis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Coffee for Morons
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 10:28:13 AM »
You think that's bad, in my city they do this in their cars!  Drive-thru's lined up into the streets.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 11:13:05 AM »
I'm not condoning this behavior, but there's coffee, and then there's COFFEE.

I recently moved buildings at work.  Here, our employer does not provide coffee.  Employees are permitted to set up coffee stations in the kitchen kiosks scattered through the office areas and run them on an "at cost" basis.  I went around and tried each and every one of them - some were a dime a cup, others 15 cents, one a quarter.  None were suitable as they all served shitty coffee that comes from the grocery store in 5 pound cans or plastic tubs - all 100% cheap robusto beans, not quality arabica bean based coffee.  I mean this rank shit was absolutely undrinkable so called "coffee".  (Although were it the zombie apocalypse, yes, I'd drink the crap since even shit-tacular coffee is better than no coffee).

Thankfully, after a brief delay, my cube mate, who brought her coffee station with her when we moved to this building finally got it up and running within a week.  At 35 cents a cup, it's worth it to have quality 100% arabica bean coffee.

Now, were there no coffee stations, I'd certainly be bringing my own from home in a thermos, since paying dollars instead of cents for a cup of drip, and waiting in line for it to boot, is fucking insane.

MorningCoffee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 12:14:04 PM »
You think that's bad, in my city they do this in their cars!  Drive-thru's lined up into the streets.

Bwahaha, mine too!
But it's Timmies! It's an institution!
:)

docah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 02:31:06 PM »
Lines like that and the horrid coffee in the cafeteria convinced me to start my own coffee club.  My office makes it hard though.  No water access and no central area for coffee/fridge.  The club allows me to keep a variety of k-cups around (usually about 5 different types) and keep a low cost to my coffee drinking. (under 40c/cup)

Could I drive the prices lower with standard coffee in a pot?  Sure, but it turns out people like the variety and stopped bringing their own so they could swap types whenever they want.  :)

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 06:10:05 PM »
Bet it doesn't feel like such a wait when they're staring at their phones like that

Frugal_in_DC

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 06:25:27 PM »
I really don't get why people stand in long lines to pay crazy prices for scalding-hot coffee in paper cups.  For the price of four Starbucks coffees, I can buy a large bag of delicious locally-roasted coffee that will last me two months.  Takes just a few minutes to make it at home.

No one who stands in line to buy overpriced coffee is allowed to whine about being broke.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 08:22:53 PM »
Just throwing this out there to anyone that has terrible coffee at work. If your work has a water cooler that serves hot water, then I recommend an aeropress. It's around $26 on amazon, and it makes an espresso in like 20 seconds, easy to clean up, and if you just add more hot water it makes an unbelievable cup of coffee.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 10:45:48 PM »
Just throwing this out there to anyone that has terrible coffee at work. If your work has a water cooler that serves hot water, then I recommend an aeropress. It's around $26 on amazon, and it makes an espresso in like 20 seconds, easy to clean up, and if you just add more hot water it makes an unbelievable cup of coffee.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK

Second this. I wanted better coffee at home and didn't want to buy a machine just to make hot drinks. I've been using it for 6 months 1-2 x per day and it's great.

jdoolin

• Stubble
    • Just My Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 05:19:57 AM »
There's also the Clever Coffee Dripper.  It's what I use at work:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-brewers/filtercones/clever-dripper-with-lid-2973.html

I Love Cake

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 04:55:47 PM »
A Timmies is only about a buck fifty..and so good!

PantsOnFire

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 06:50:13 PM »
I thought for sure this thread was going to be about some K-cup machine giveaway. 

Frugal_in_DC

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 07:02:55 PM »
I thought for sure this thread was going to be about some K-cup machine giveaway.

Ironically, before I logged in there was an ad below this post for something called the CBTL Single Beverage System, which looks like a fancypants K-cup device.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 07:36:18 PM »

Ironically, before I logged in there was an ad below this post for something called the CBTL Single Beverage System, which looks like a fancypants K-cup device.

Yes, but a K- cup device is fancypants!