Author Topic: Coachella anyone?  (Read 6294 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Coachella anyone?
« on: April 13, 2015, 05:00:48 PM »
Sorry if this offends anyone who loves it... I just figured it would (or maybe should) cost a lot less for what it all sounds like:

http://www.laweekly.com/music/how-the-hell-do-people-afford-coachella-5494371

My favorite gold nugget from the article:
"And the Woodstock Generation came to Max Yasgur's farm clad in the counter-culture uniform of jeans, beads and T-shirts — or nothing at all. Turns out it cost a lot less to be an actual hippie than a wannabee playing dress-up at Coachella."

r3dt4rget

• Stubble
Re: Coachella anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 06:54:30 PM »
My favorite was the woman who needed an installment loan to buy tickets, then proceeded to spend $500+ at the event.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 07:02:50 PM »
I would pay $500 to stay home and not have to deal with a large crowd of hipsters and pot smoke.

But I'm so introverted I'm basically a misanthrope.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »
This is a big topic of conversation this (and every) year in LA. I really don't know how people afford it but it sell out in hours. The festival clothes have become such a huge thing and all the blogs blow up with pictures of the most stylish festival-goers which just puts more pressure on people to spend money.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 11:47:50 PM »
I don't know what's more annoying to see or hear about on facebook and the internets: coachella or edc. The great thing is the handful of hipster coworkers who all went and who totally act the part and think they're cooler than everyone else who didn't go.... "Duuude I just dropped a few g's at coachella and it was totally worth it. We totally got high and hammered and totally dont remember anything man. It was awesome... You totally missed out brah."

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 06:20:47 AM »
It was only recently I realised that Coachella is a concert/music festival. I thought it was some sort of clothing brand.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 06:45:33 AM »
It was only recently I realised that Coachella is a concert/music festival. I thought it was some sort of clothing brand.

Me too. 

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 06:59:52 AM »
I have friends that go every year.  It looks like fun.  The music line up has never interested me enough to bother going.  I'll probably end up going one of these years.

I do laugh at this line
fter-concert Uber pickups, hotel rooms, vittles and other incidentals and we're already near $1,000

I guess I always thought coachella was about the camping and what not..

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 07:25:57 AM »
Meh, I've been to Bonnaroo 4 times and with a little scheming spent an average of $250 per trip. I bet even the lowest estimated "full price" of $500 is less than some of y'all spend in a regular week.

You can fly to London with airline reward miles and stay with friends. You can also buy a first class ticket, stay in hotels, and buy your scale model of the Millennium Bridge and 27th edition vinyl of London Calling. It takes all kinds.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 11:08:28 AM »
Two of my coworkers went last year.  They  had a blast.

But they aren't going this year.  Too  many layoffs.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 12:06:01 PM »

Me too.

I thought it was a clothing brand until this thread.  I might be officially "out of touch" now that I'm learning about clothing brands through the MMM forums...

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 12:25:39 PM »
If anyone wants to see what coachella is all about and have a good laugh this is golden, http://thechive.com/2015/04/14/meanwhile-at-coachella-34-photos/

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 01:37:44 PM »
If anyone wants to see what coachella is all about and have a good laugh this is golden, http://thechive.com/2015/04/14/meanwhile-at-coachella-34-photos/

LOL....classic.

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 01:49:34 PM »
I love music festivals - they are an economic way to see tons of bands. I've been to Bonnaroo and a few others. We always camp onsite which means cooking at least two meals a day and bringing our own beer (at least for at the campsite). And we always drive so no need for airline tickets. I don't by the $7 drinks or the $15 suppers...but I will try the $2 gourmet grilled cheese these places tend to have.

I guess what I am saying is that music festivals are no different than other purchases, you can do it smartly or you can be a dumb-ass about it. This reporter went looking for a story about the dumb-asses.

surfhb

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 02:22:15 PM »
This is the first time in 30 years I haven't paid to see AC/DC, the headlining act.     I'm either getting old and boring or more MMM ;)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 02:49:47 PM »
I'm a big metalhead and usually drive over to Atlanta to catch the Mayhem Festival tour in the summer. Just found out tickets are only $19.99 this year (and Slayer - one of my favorite bands ever - is headlining), so we're totally gonna do it. May even splurge on a suite to share with friends. However, I will not be getting two suites for two nights and a fully stocked bar for whoever shows up, as in pre-MMM days. Hehe

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 03:27:26 PM »

I thought it sounded like either a STD or some kind of food poisoning.  Kind of a hybrid between salmonella and chlamydia, that you could get from eating out too much.

Suncoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »

Me too.

I only realized it by reading through this thread.

Little Nell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 09:05:58 PM »

Sounds like little tiny purses to me.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 09:40:44 AM »

Sounds like little tiny purses to me.

LOL.... the next big festival will be called "Guccelli" - take my word for it. :P

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!