Author Topic: Clueless Boss  (Read 8168 times)

GR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Clueless Boss
« on: May 29, 2014, 02:41:43 PM »
So, my boss is a millionaire who owns a private company. We were on the phone today and we talked about a person we both know. I said "I heard he is retiring". The guy who is retiring has been working for close to 30 yrs at an university and should be set for life. My boss (who is about the same age as the guy who is retiring) said "what ?? he is retiring? He is JUST 50 years old. That's not the age to retire".

I know my boss is a millionaire who can keep going at his anti-mustachian way forever and keep on adding more to his millions but I thought "Oh ya, you think that's early? wait until I tell you about my retirement". I am 30 and FI is at least 5 to 7 years away if not 10. But I couldn't help posting it here.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
Re: Clueless Boss
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:29:27 PM »
Sounds like he has a mindset that someone young and able bodied should keep working. 

I wish someone had presented ER as a possibility to me when I was 30, so congrats on figuring it out so young!

Brad_H

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 03:34:08 PM »
I have mixed feelings for this; on the one hand I am happy for your boss who apparently has such a dream job that he can't imagine retiring until it is pried from cold dead fingers. On the other I am sad that the university guy has been working for 30 years at a job that didn't make him happy enough to stay there forever, but glad that he is now able to pursue something else at the young age of 50.  How about you?

GR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 03:48:48 PM »
Brad - I really do not think he "loves" doing it as much as he "wants" to keep adding $ to his bank account. But of course I am biased on that opinion.

Zamboni - Thanks for the encouraging words, but 30 is "old" in the latest retire early community :)

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 02:46:41 PM »
It is sad both ways, but so sad when people feel they can't retire, for some, no matter the number it is never enough.

I have an uncle who is 72ish and works full time in a factory, he will work until they let him go, but for him working isn't a bad thing, he really has no hobbies and won't travel, so he might as well work, ya know?

kyleaaa

• Bristles
    • Kyle Bumpus
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 06:56:09 AM »
It's not sad at all. People make their own choices in life.

GR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 06:58:24 AM »
I didn't start the thread with the intention of making anything or anyone sound "sad" :) but my point was that my boss seemed clueless on a life other than making $.

I mean when he asked "Why would someone retire at 50+" my immediate thought was "You need to come see this forum".

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 07:55:36 AM »
I didn't start the thread with the intention of making anything or anyone sound "sad" :) but my point was that my boss seemed clueless on a life other than making $.

I mean when he asked "Why would someone retire at 50+" my immediate thought was "You need to come see this forum".
So did you shed any light on retirement options that are becoming more and more common, especially at younger ages?  Or did you keep your boss in the dark so that further schadenfreude can be enjoyed in the future for your own retirement announcement?

Sounds like you have/had a perfect opportunity to transition someone from clueless to not.

GR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »
You are right that the opportunity was there and I have made use of such opportunities before with friends and family members. But here was a guy I couldn't care less about :) Sorry but that is the truth.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 08:09:38 AM »
Unfortunate your relationship isn't better, but at least you are gleaning satisfaction here in the Wall of Shame, haha.

GR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 08:23:32 AM »
Ya, but don't feel bad about the relationship. I'll keep it as short as possible. Like I mentioned in a different post, am kinda tied to this job for the next few years (not its not a bond, just my work visa thing). I am hoping my freedom from this company as well as my FI come at the same time.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 09:40:38 AM »
I get this all the time from my wife and from our friends.  "You are too young to retire!"

I am still trying to figure out how to actually pull the trigger.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 03:23:14 PM »
I get this all the time from my wife and from our friends.  "You are too young to retire!"

I am still trying to figure out how to actually pull the trigger.

This is why I don't make any secret to anyone (except those I work with). With those I work with, I don't make any secret that I invest in mutual funds each week, but that is because I think that might subtly encourage them to invest in themselves.

GR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 09:40:22 AM »
And here is an addendum....and this time a client of mine.. He is a very very nice guy, in his late 50s and has health issues..His employer has amazing health coverage, so his insurance expenses are taken care of. He pinged me with the text "Can you help an old man" and said he wants to retire but can't afford to. Of course he was joking but he ended the conversation saying " am messing with you, am not that old to retire" !!!!

I mean, MMM does not believe in the health insurance excuse many people give to keep working. I allow that benefit of doubt for this guy but to say he is too young to retire made me realize the stark difference between mustachians and others. To each his own but am just amazed.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 10:32:57 AM »
I'm going to stereotype an entire generation here (even though I know there are LOTS of exceptions, and that its generally a stupid thing to do) and say that this seems to be a boomer thing insofar that the psychology is ingrained that "retirement is what you do when you are old and getting ready to die."  Obviously here we understand it to be that retirement is "do whatever the hell you want", but I wonder how far down the generation ladder this thinking goes in the general population.  As a member of GenY, I had a similar perception up through a couple years of entering the professional workforce.  Doing some research and finding MMM made me realize the latter definition and start to work toward it, but I wonder how many people in the 25-35 crowd still believe in the former definition.

Do most GenXers think this way?  Will the generation that follows the millenials think this way?  It would be an interesting group psychology study...

The Hamster

• Stubble
  • Vivere intus vestri mediis
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 08:17:15 PM »
Well I wouldn't call your boss clueless considering he's a multi-millionaire :-)

There are essentially 2 types of people - those who work to live and those who live to work.  Most entrepeneurs or business owners such as your boss are the second type.  Their lives are completely about their businesses and the concept of "retirement" is as foreign to them as working forever is to others.  And why should he "retire"?  He's already doing exactly what he wants with his time which is what retirement is all about isn't it? 

GR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 09:59:46 AM »
Hamster - If he is, more power to him. I don't want to debate about that.

But what I referred to as "clueless" was him being surprised that people retired in 50s !! I mean, its good to have a school of thought but its important to realize not everyone goes to the same school lol.