Author Topic: Classic Anti Moustashianism  (Read 6361 times)

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache

samsonator54321

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Classic Anti Moustashianism
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 05:25:03 AM »
I loved when he had the quote that they don’t take big Holidays. Then later they explained that part of the 100k personal loan was for......Holidays.

Also it is sad how he thinks that their 46k and 38k cars are must haves. I wouldn’t be surprised if the thought a more economical car never crossed their mind as an option.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 02:52:34 PM »
I realize that Aussie prices are inflated compared to US prices, but these people are spending $1000 on various classes/"sports" AND $1000/mo on entertainment. Plus a 5 bedroom house with a pool. Plus two nice, newer cars. If this isn't living a luxurious life, what do they think that constitutes?

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 04:46:14 PM »
Holy sheep dip. So much crazy, so little time.

But despite the expense, Toby said his family had no other choice.

“We really need two cars,” he explained.

...on which they owe $84,000!!!

“Rent is quite expensive,” he said. “We spend $600 a week and the average would be around $400.

“There is a lot of crime up here, and we wanted to be in a nicer area. So it’s a five-bedroom house with a pool on the golf course. But we can’t afford to buy … we don’t even have a deposit. While we would like to one day, we don’t know where to cut expenses.

Yeah, I can see that: where to cut. Wheeeeeere to cut...

The best part: As a financial manager, Toby keeps a tight grip on his family’s expenditure each month to ensure they don’t dip into the red.

BWAHHHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 07:46:25 PM »
Holy sheep dip. So much crazy, so little time.

But despite the expense, Toby said his family had no other choice.

“We really need two cars,” he explained.

...on which they owe $84,000!!!

“Rent is quite expensive,” he said. “We spend $600 a week and the average would be around $400.

“There is a lot of crime up here, and we wanted to be in a nicer area. So it’s a five-bedroom house with a pool on the golf course. But we can’t afford to buy … we don’t even have a deposit. While we would like to one day, we don’t know where to cut expenses.

Yeah, I can see that: where to cut. Wheeeeeere to cut...

The best part: As a financial manager, Toby keeps a tight grip on his family’s expenditure each month to ensure they don’t dip into the red.

BWAHHHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!

I am glad you appreciated it the same as I did, especially the irony of “keeps a tight grip on his family’s expemditure”, yet racks up $100,000 in personal loans on vacations and cars.

I guess these articles are written purely to incite comments. Toby surely can’t be a real person.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 07:09:28 AM »
I don't understand something... the $100,000 personal loan was for the two cars and some holidays, yet it also states that they spend $1,100.02 on "Cars". The "Loan Repayment" section includes "car, piano, holidays". So what is the $1,100.02 spent on cars for? The other car categories are "fuel, registration, insurance, and servicing" which add up to $833.33. Something definitely doesn't make sense.

Not sure how they are only able to save $5,950 a year when the leftover of their net minus their ridiculous expenses is nearly $12,000.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 08:32:05 AM »
If you liked that one, you'll LOVE this:

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/cash-confessions-how-a-sydney-mum-spends-her-170k-income/news-story/1d97c2aef054b7e991d1334a15185de6

Just a sample: “I also have a severe Marks & Spencer’s shopping addiction,” she said. “About $300 every few months. Most of my corporate wardrobe is Marks & Spencer...
Stef says she spends about $480 a month on special teas.“Other clothing is Uniqlo and Zara, which is about $300 month every three or four months, and handbags are up to $1200 a year.”

“My biggest indulgence is wine and my addiction to Priceline for shampoo, conditioner and face stuff.

Interestingly, the subject is also a "consultant in financial services".

Are you sure this isn't the Aussie version of The Onion?

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 08:47:07 AM »
I loved when he had the quote that they don’t take big Holidays. Then later they explained that part of the 100k personal loan was for......Holidays.

Also it is sad how he thinks that their 46k and 38k cars are must haves. I wouldn’t be surprised if the thought a more economical car never crossed their mind as an option.

I noticed the same thing. Arghh!! This out of common sense. Well, anyone can buy things out of some instant stupid decisions but when it starts to hurt, they got to at least think about cutting down these expenses by selling cars for example...

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 08:51:38 AM »

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/cash-confessions-how-a-sydney-mum-spends-her-170k-income/news-story/1d97c2aef054b7e991d1334a15185de6

Just a sample: “I also have a severe Marks & Spencer’s shopping addiction,” she said. “About $300 every few months. Most of my corporate wardrobe is Marks & Spencer...
Stef says she spends about $480 a month on special teas.“Other clothing is Uniqlo and Zara, which is about $300 month every three or four months, and handbags are up to $1200 a year.”

“My biggest indulgence is wine and my addiction to Priceline for shampoo, conditioner and face stuff.

My blood pressure went a little high reading this. See the below lines from the article. I have two kids 3 and 2. Is all this necessary? Teaching kids multiple expensive extracurricular skills?

"Every adult aspires to give their kids more than they had,” she said, revealing she pays out $135 per school term on ballet, $120 a season on soccer for her son, $490 for guitar lessons, $80 per month on cheerleading practice and about $200 a month on swimming lessons."

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »
"So it’s a five-bedroom house with a pool on the golf course. But we can’t afford to buy"

Uhhhhh, yeah.  Gee, might there be a connection between those two things?

Gotta love the false choice:  live in a crime-ridden slum, or blow the budget on a 5Br home with a pool on a golf course.  Well, sure, when you frame it that way. . . . 

I just want to smack these people.  Since when is luxury housing, 2 new cars, private school, $700/mo. in lessons/activities, and $1K/mo. in entertainment not living a life of luxury?  Talk about an entitlement mentality.  These people need to hang with a different social circle to understand the difference between a "comfortable lifestyle" and "massive luxury."  (Hint:  moving off the golf course is usually a good start).

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 02:18:26 PM »
“Everyone has different circumstances, but we do not live a life of luxury. There’s no big holidays, or boats or houses. Our biggest expenses are education for our son, transportation and our personal loans each month.”

But then there's this gem:

“We pay $1000 each fortnight for the personal loan,” he said. “The loan includes the cars, piano and some holidays.”

So... they don't live the lift of luxury because they are paying off personal loans, not vacations. OK. Got it.

And don't forget, only $1000/month on entertainment.... must be hard to live so deprived.

And this part:
"Education ($866/month) is important to us."
Isn't even listed int he graphic, unless it's some combination of the other things listed (dancing and piano?lol) too lazy to do the math.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:21:13 PM by honeybbq »

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 03:04:03 PM »
Hard to have any sympathy.  Our income just jumped up to near identical levels after my wife switched from SAHM to being employed a couple months ago, and their lifestyle does not compute for me.

Our cars are 7 and 14 years old respectively, and cost 15k used and 20k new respectively.  I ride my bike enough that the older car is only driven about once every couple weeks.  Our vacations are rare and modest, never incurring debt.  We do not feel like our income is enough to justify most of the extravagances rattled off as necessities.  We have no debt beyond a mortgage.  Our after tax savings rate is about 50% this year with here working only 40% of the year, and will be somewhat higher next year.  I clearly must be doing something wrong...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:41:31 PM by moof »

one piece at a time

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 03:24:13 PM »

Surprisingly, the financial needs of the deceased are not so complicated. https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/banking/amp-charged-dead-people-for-life-insurance/news-story/f32d1646f97f507b0b69a362ee1b3d8d

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 12:40:43 PM »
Maybe these articles are like dog whistle politics. We just aren't hearing the coded language they are using. They can't make ends meet AND maintain the social connections they currently have which require certain fashions, certain zip codes, certain vehicles and certain social -errr after school activities... ;)

They can't IMAGINE being seen driving a Nissan Versa or living in a mere 3 bedroom/2 bath home in a neighborhood where most homes have two working adults residing... Oh how drool ---errr drole.

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 08:14:28 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-11-04/retiring-early-sounds-appealing-but-is-impractical

Here's another classic anti mustachian article for your amusement. I really chuckled at the "Personally, I like to consume." The click bait got me to click, so hats off to the columnist.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 09:10:30 PM »
The bloomburg article was fully of stupid. I should have known better than to bother to click when it came up on my news feed, but at least he got no ad views from me (ublock origin). "unrealistic return rates" aka I'll pretend they're using a >7% number so I'm "right", assuming you need well over 1 mil to retire, assuming you can only save 1k/month.

I like to consume too... good homecooked meals with fresh ingredients, possibly from a garden out back. That's easier if I'm not working 8 hrs a day. I might consume twice, or even three times a day!