Author Topic: Cigarettes  (Read 14830 times)

Cincy Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cigarettes
« on: January 21, 2014, 08:24:45 AM »
I must say, I thought of this thread as soon as I saw this transaction occur yesterday evening.

Trendy 20-something in work out gear: "Can I get a pack of Marlboro Blue's?"

Clerk: "No problem, that'll be $5.50."

Trendy 20-something in work out gear: "Great, thanks!"

Clerk: "Can I get anything else for you?"

Trendy 20-something in work out gear: "Yes, could I get $2 on pump #9?"

I almost started to laugh standing right next to her, but instead, politely smiled to myself and made mental note to share the incident with you all

aglassman

• Stubble
    • Milwaukee Maven
Re: Cigarettes
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:01:11 AM »
http://picardfacepalm.com/updown.gif

Hey, maybe she was going to teach a class to children where they use one of those see-through lungs, and show how much damage one cig can do.  Although specifically asing for Marb Blues is probably an indication otherwise.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 09:01:55 AM »
Exercise is stressful!
You need to spend money to make money!
You don't kno-o-ow me!
I'm just trying to get home, and the thought of running out of gas is so distressing!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 09:02:59 AM »
$2 in gas?? Wow. I remember my mom doing that a couple of times when she was a single mother of 3 and  but she didn't smoke or otherwise waste money...it was just a tough time. That's crazy!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:33:14 AM by rockstache »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
It's possible she needed just a small amount of gas for her small gas can to bring home for her lawnmower (or more likely, in January, her snowblower).

But it's still funny.

Cincy Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 09:30:41 AM »
It's possible she needed just a small amount of gas for her small gas can to bring home for her lawnmower (or more likely, in January, her snowblower).

But it's still funny.

Ketchup: That is a possibility, and I would have died if I saw her snowblowing in my neighborhood puffing on her ciggy.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 10:38:19 AM »
$5.50? Man, I haven't seen cigarettes that cheap in years. They're coming up on ten bucks a pack around here.

more4less

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »
Trendy 20-something in work out gear: "Can I get a pack of Marlboro Blue's?"

I was already laughing at this point because I thought THAT was the joke lol
Well, I read a study indicating that most of the people actually work out primarily for appearances. I personally know plenty of people who work out on a regular basis yet still smoke. However, I have to admit - pumping gas for $2 cracks me up.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 09:01:29 PM »
I'm really out of it, what are blues?    I'm still waiting for much heralded marloboro joints that urban legend has it were created in the 70s when they though legalization was right around the corner.   So far pot is just mom and pop in Colorado, but I'm sure that will soon change.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 07:24:30 AM »
I frequently forge that smoking is even a thing still. I mean it's banned so many places I don't even see people doing it anymore.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 08:59:10 AM »
I frequently forge that smoking is even a thing still. I mean it's banned so many places I don't even see people doing it anymore.

I've been watching old episodes of NYPD Blue on my Roku, and I'm shocked at how many people smoke cigarettes. I totally forgot how common that used to be on television. Now it's reserved exclusively for European villain characters.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
Anybody here remember the "Little Green Men" episode on Deep Space Nine? Where Quark, Rom, and Nog go back in time to the 1950s (I think) on Earth, and all the people are puffing away madly on cigarettes? It was meant to be a visual joke. (I always thought "You're going to invade Cleveland??!!" was one of the funniest lines ever--but I'm from Cuyahoga county, so hey.)

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 09:59:24 AM »
EVERYONE knows the reds are better!

$2 is funny.  I'm not opposed to the occasional smoke!

Last time was a couple months back ... cigars for a friend passing his comp exams.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:01:34 AM by mpbaker22 »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 12:56:48 PM »
I've pumped just a couple of dollars in the tank when it was really cold and wet outside...

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 03:30:25 PM »
cigarette is very addictive drug. have compassion on this people you don't know if they are having a hard time quitting.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 04:44:46 PM »
Addicting all right.  My father in law is in hospice with end stage COPD.  He sounds like he's just climbed up a mountain just walking to the bathroom, is on continuous oxygen, and still fights to smoke. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »
http://picardfacepalm.com/updown.gif

Hey, maybe she was going to teach a class to children where they use one of those see-through lungs, and show how much damage one cig can do.  Although specifically asking for Marb Blues is probably an indication otherwise.
I had to laugh at this.  I have been a confirmed non-smoker all my life.  The only time I have ever bought cigarettes was for my DD's science experiment.  We were standing at the cash and I was asking the clerk what was the smallest, cheapest package they had?  She was so confused - I suppose most people have other criteria, but these cigarettes were going to be staining a filter paper, not our lungs, so cheap was good.  ;-)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 04:25:50 PM »

I've been watching old episodes of NYPD Blue on my Roku, and I'm shocked at how many people smoke cigarettes. I totally forgot how common that used to be on television. Now it's reserved exclusively for European villain characters.
Try watching the original version of The Parent Trap.  Have times ever changed, and it's not just the smoking.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 06:44:47 PM »
$5.50? Man, I haven't seen cigarettes that cheap in years. They're coming up on ten bucks a pack around here.

Are you in a big city with extra taxes? I can get Camel's for $5 here, sometimes less.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 09:42:18 PM »
I  had a schizophrenic uncle that would roll his own all day long.   He had a scam where he'd buy regular cigarettes for the people in his group home that couldn't leave for a premium, and that would pay for his tobacco.   It often made me wonder why he needed to get ssi when he could figure that scam out.

I'm surprised smokers don't grow their own tobacco at this point, I know there was plenty being grown in ct when I lived there so latitude shouldn't really matter.   Cost is probably the biggest reason I brew my own beer.    If I was more into weed, I'd grow my own here in Colorado.   6 plants are legal.

Cincy Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 06:46:47 AM »
I  had a schizophrenic uncle that would roll his own all day long.   He had a scam where he'd buy regular cigarettes for the people in his group home that couldn't leave for a premium, and that would pay for his tobacco.   It often made me wonder why he needed to get ssi when he could figure that scam out.

I'm surprised smokers don't grow their own tobacco at this point, I know there was plenty being grown in ct when I lived there so latitude shouldn't really matter.   Cost is probably the biggest reason I brew my own beer.    If I was more into weed, I'd grow my own here in Colorado.   6 plants are legal.
*Doesn't sound like a scam; just a good schizo business man?

*How much does your own brewed beer come out to per 12oz? (not including your time of course)

*Colorado has passed a very Mustachian law for Doja Enthusiasts.  That should work out very well.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 10:32:38 AM »

*Doesn't sound like a scam; just a good schizo business man?

*How much does your own brewed beer come out to per 12oz? (not including your time of course)

*Colorado has passed a very Mustachian law for Doja Enthusiasts.  That should work out very well.

It depends on what I'm brewing.   IPAs end up between .55 and .67 a bottle depending on hops and if I'm reusing yeast.   But, a few years ago I was consistently brewing 5 gallon batches of bavarian wheat beer for about $15-$17 per 5 gallon batch (after reusing the yeast).  That's about .37 a bottle, and I think bavarian wheat is the absolute best hot weather beer ever. 

I don't grow, but I have friends that do and they can pull between a half and a an ounce off of each plant every 3 months or so.    I've never bought weed on the commercial market here, but I think it's north of $400 an ounce so that's a significant savings.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 11:09:05 AM »
cigarette is very addictive drug. have compassion on this people you don't know if they are having a hard time quitting.

People have known about the dangers of smoking and how unhealthy it is since 1964.  So I have less compassion for someone who voluntarily stepped into that snake pit, which is approximately everyone under 65.  I applaud those, however, who have recognized they've made a bad decision and support programs for such folks to quit.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 11:14:24 AM »
Yeah, quitting nicotine has to be one of the hardest things that I've ever done. Thankfully there are plenty of resources to help. For any chewers, killthecan.org is a great source that helped me. Whackthepack.org is a similar site for any smokers. If you are interested in either and would like more information, feel free to PM me.

jefffff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 02:07:34 PM »
E-cigarettes are a really great thing if you want nicotine and want to save money. The cannisters are untaxed because they are branded as quitting-smoking aids. Nicotine by itself may be addictive but it has few negative health effects compared to inhaling burnt tobacco and is pretty comparable to caffeine.

Rachelocity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 02:12:27 PM »
Could she have been a mystery shopper?  There are shops that ask you to buy cigarettes to see if the clerk checks your age, and some shops need a small purchase to get the receipt as proof that you actually did the shop and didn't fudge the results. 

Unlikely, I know, but still theoretically possible.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »

People have known about the dangers of smoking and how unhealthy it is since 1964.  So I have less compassion for someone who voluntarily stepped into that snake pit, which is approximately everyone under 65.  I applaud those, however, who have recognized they've made a bad decision and support programs for such folks to quit.

Well I agree with you but some people are willing to qquit.  Everyone makes mistake at one point by starting up and find it really difficult to quit.   A lot of mustachian started up in a wrong foot with finances but turn their ship around.  The problem with cigarette is that its a drug.  I read or hear that its worse than cocaine. 

Of course there are also people who don't like to quit.   Majority wants to quit but mind altering drugs is hard to fight. 

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 07:26:45 PM »
I've pumped just a couple of dollars in the tank when it was really cold and wet outside...

I've pumped just a few dollars in the tank before because I let it run too low and didn't have enough to get to the biodiesel distributor.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 06:07:09 AM »

I've pumped just a few dollars in the tank before because I let it run too low and didn't have enough to get to the biodiesel distributor.

I've done it when I have come home on too little fuel because of bad weather and had no choice but to stop at the nearby price-gouging place. Not a couple dollars, but $5 (because that's what it takes to get to the next nearest gas station on my route).

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 03:03:51 PM »
I get 3.35% interest on my bank account, but one of the restrictions is that I have to use my card as "credit" 15 times in a month in order to get the interest rate, so there have been a few times when I knew I wasn't going to make 15 purchases by the deadline, so I've topped off my gas tank for tiny amounts every day for a week or so, just to get my # of transactions up.  Gas station is on my way to/from work, so no extra effort really.

I know, cars bad.

foobar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 07:18:16 PM »
I wonder how people would view MMM if he was spending 450 bucks on cigs instead of booze? Or in 2014 in Co I guess pot should be one of the options. Although in that case he really should be growing his own:)

Well I agree with you but some people are willing to qquit.  Everyone makes mistake at one point by starting up and find it really difficult to quit.   A lot of mustachian started up in a wrong foot with finances but turn their ship around.  The problem with cigarette is that its a drug.  I read or hear that its worse than cocaine. 

Of course there are also people who don't like to quit.   Majority wants to quit but mind altering drugs is hard to fight.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 09:25:55 PM »
I wonder how people would view MMM if he was spending 450 bucks on cigs instead of booze? Or in 2014 in Co I guess pot should be one of the options. Although in that case he really should be growing his own:)

He could certainly afford it. $450 worth of booze I think is much healthier than $450 worth of cigarettes. And $450 of pot is healthier than both.

Would love to see MMM do a grow and blog about it for "research".

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 05:51:44 AM »
man i remember putting like 2.30 in my car in gas in nickels and dimes when i was in college! and then buying a hard pack of marlboro menthol lights.  priorities people ;)!!!
i don't smoke anymore because that shit is expensive.  oh yeah and bad for you, but damn sometimes i still miss that first inhale in the morning and the menthol hitting your lungs.  i was extremely lucky and had no problems quitting cold turkey.  cigs are so expensive now that i wonder how people can afford to smoke. 

foobar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 11:31:46 AM »
Its not about affording it. It is about wasting money. After all water is free....

He could certainly afford it. $450 worth of booze I think is much healthier than $450 worth of cigarettes. And $450 of pot is healthier than both.

Would love to see MMM do a grow and blog about it for "research".

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 02:58:03 PM »
After all water is free....

Really?  So that water bill I paid last week must have been sent to me in error ;-)

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2014, 04:55:42 PM »
I get 3.35% interest on my bank account, but one of the restrictions is that I have to use my card as "credit" 15 times in a month in order to get the interest rate, so there have been a few times when I knew I wasn't going to make 15 purchases by the deadline, so I've topped off my gas tank for tiny amounts every day for a week or so, just to get my # of transactions up.  Gas station is on my way to/from work, so no extra effort really.

I know, cars bad.

You're not the only one. I recently did this, mostly as a result of the Target credit card fraud. The bank cancelled my wife's card, and she's the one that tends to easily make the 15 transaction limit. 2 separate $5 gas purchases, and a six pack of beer later, we still got all the perks of the card.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2014, 08:40:26 PM »
And people wonder why I own stock in cigarette companies (actually people don't).

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2014, 08:47:30 PM »

Really?  So that water bill I paid last week must have been sent to me in error ;-)

I own the patent on the device that Kevin Costner peed into in the first scene in Waterworld.   I'm pissing and drinking all day long.   Sucks to be you!

foobar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2014, 08:55:20 PM »
yet another wasteful purchase. Why don't you dig a well or collect rain water for all your water needs? You need to stop being so lazy.:) That probably deserves a few more of those:):):)

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 12:22:16 AM »
I was teaching my Year 8 maths class about health (it's our new school initiative - try to teach them everything in class but maths), and we had to talk about that smoking is illegal on government property, bad for your health, etc. I said I would never hang out with someone who smokes. One poor little 12 year old girl asked me, "Does that mean you're a bad person if you smoke?"

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 05:38:31 AM »
I said I would never hang out with someone who smokes. One poor little 12 year old girl asked me, "Does that mean you're a bad person if you smoke?"

Wait you wouldn't hang out with someone while they were smoking or you refuse to hang out with anyone who smokes at all?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 06:30:37 AM »
I said I would never hang out with someone who smokes. One poor little 12 year old girl asked me, "Does that mean you're a bad person if you smoke?"

Wait you wouldn't hang out with someone while they were smoking or you refuse to hang out with anyone who smokes at all?

Not that you asked me, but people who smoke seldom realize they smell bad. That limits contact for me. Students who smoke get walked down from my (small)office to the larger conference room when they come to see me so that my office won't stink for the rest of the day. So it's not a moral objection, but there is a very real physical problem with hanging out with smokers, and especially heavy smokers.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 11:37:09 PM »
Both. Smokers smoke at social events, and since I won't hang out with someone while they're smoking, it means that I don't hang out with people who smoke at all.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2014, 07:01:04 AM »
Both. Smokers smoke at social events, and since I won't hang out with someone while they're smoking, it means that I don't hang out with people who smoke at all.
Do all smokers smoke at every social event?

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2014, 07:51:50 AM »

There's also a lot of weekend/monthly/every 3 months (guilty) smokers so I'm wondering how that factors into whether or not people are willing to hang out with me the rest of the time!

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2014, 11:18:42 AM »

i didn't used to.  i smoked, at the most i smoked about a half a pack a day.  but during the four years i smoked i'd say for about 2 of them i was an "i only smoke when i drink" kind of person.  a "social" smoker if you will. 

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2014, 12:45:39 PM »
It's not an addiction if you tie the compulsion to a trigger... err wait....

No malice intended. Smoking makes my lungs burn though. Couldn't start it even if I wanted to..

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!