Author Topic: Churches and tithing  (Read 42336 times)

Merrie

• Bristles
Re: Churches and tithing
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2015, 10:05:13 AM »
I love my church. The people there are my family and the church is my home away from home. We are on a tight budget but I give what I can to help keep the lights on, water running, windows replaced when need be, staff salaries paid, etc. I've served on Vestry in the past and been part of the budget negotiations, so I know the spending is not frivolous. A fixed pledge (i.e. "I will pay X amount each week/month/over the course of the year") is not legally binding, but having the majority of giving be predicted helps the church set their budget.

But I'm certainly not a fan of the prosperity gospel, and there's a particular church that I decided not to join that I would have otherwise because I disagreed with a large number of their political positions and did not want to give my money to this group.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2015, 09:47:29 PM »
Given that the particular supreme being you made the deal with has a certain reputation when it comes to retribution - I would have thought that legal issues was the least of your worries.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: September 29, 2015, 10:20:46 AM »
Every year there's less people too, I can't wait until they repurpose the place into something useful like a climbing centre.

In Pittsburgh, there's a restaurant/brewery called The Church Brew Works. My dad says nuns picketed when that church was decommissioned and sold to the restauranteurs.