Author Topic: Christmas parking lot woes  (Read 4415 times)

marz1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Christmas parking lot woes
« on: December 22, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11565152

Traffic chaos: Christmas shoppers endure three-hour jam in Sydney car park and 6-hour nightmare in UK's Bluewater mall

It's a nightmare before Christmas for shoppers experiencing traffic hell queuing for hours at gridlocked shopping centre carparks.
At Britain's fourth largest shopping centre at Bluewater in Kent, motorists were hemmed in the chaos for up to six hours as shoppers raced to fit in last minute present buying.
The Daily Mail reported motorists were in tears behind their wheels as roads in and out of the huge mall ground to a halt.

Some frustrated shoppers added to the chaos by abandoning vehicles and returning to the mall while others vented on social media.

LOLS

No Name Guy

• Bristles
Re: Christmas parking lot woes
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 05:42:22 PM »
I live a few miles from a mall.  Some years ago, as was my tradition, I had a couple gifts to get 2-3 days prior to Christmas.  Knowing traffic would stink, I grabbed my biggest backpack, the cable lock and hopped on the bike.  As everyone else sat in traffic, I was in n out in no time. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 07:35:21 PM »
Two words: Internet. November.

Jschange

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 10:53:33 PM »
Yes! My niece and I went window shopping/santa viewing yesterday in the daytime (not peak shopping time). The walk across the parking lot to our bus stop home was terrifying. Cars parked everywhere, including made up spots, driving dangerously, and stalking us to our theoretical parking spot.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 03:20:29 AM »
I had an appointment last night at an office which is near a mid-sized shopping plaza.  The traffic was INSANE so I can only imagine what it's like at the big malls.  On a related note, I have a coworker who brags that she waits until Christmas Eve day to start buying gifts--even though she bitches about traffic and nasty people.  Um ...

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 03:00:32 PM »
I live a few miles from a mall.  Some years ago, as was my tradition, I had a couple gifts to get 2-3 days prior to Christmas.  Knowing traffic would stink, I grabbed my biggest backpack, the cable lock and hopped on the bike.  As everyone else sat in traffic, I was in n out in no time.

Yep. I've done this the past two years. I fly by all the cars waiting to get into/out of the parking lots. It's so much less stress to deal with!

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 04:57:58 PM »
I become "that  guy" that parks his jeep up on the middle of the median/wood chip covered landscaping/random unpaved area to get in and out real quick. Kind of a dick move but it is not blocking anyone else so I give myself a pass.

Marus

• Stubble
    • My Literature Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 09:18:30 AM »
I did most of my shopping online.  The rest I handled by biking over to the mall and throwing a few things in my backpack.  Pretty low stress.  My only annoyance was when I went to a grocery store to pick up some Heady Topper (local craft beer that sells out immediately wherever it's shipped).  Had to wait in line behind 50 people to get mine. 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 09:46:29 AM »
I was in the Philippines last year around Christmas, it gets really crazy there.  Went to a grocery store on Dec 24 and had to wait in the checkout line for 90 min!  The traffic was bad too, had to catch a bus and waited for half a day while hundreds of full busses went by, finally have up when the people waiting for a bus next to me told me they had been waiting since 7am the day before!!  I ended up having to hire a car which cost way more, but got me to the airport on time.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 04:50:39 PM »
I wanted to go to Total Wine to pick up a few bottles to give out as gifts to my neighbors. It was on my way home, but the exit to it was the same exit to go to the mall and there was a huge line of cars, I shook my head and went home. I'll go on Saturday and drop them off later that day, I don't think anyone really minds getting their gifts a day late, especially when they are spending Christmas with their family.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!