Author Topic: Christmas Insanity  (Read 17897 times)

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
Christmas Insanity
« on: January 01, 2014, 11:01:04 AM »
I ran across this on the FB page of a girl I went to elementary school with. They have 5 kids each with their own pile of gifts, in each of those piles is an iPad and an iPod.

The pics were followed by a post that said "Today was nice. Love seeing my kids faces on Christmas morning ... LOVE when they say there is NOTHING that they were hoping for that they did not get. Christmas is my favorite day of the year."

I am so amazed/appalled that I had to share.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:05:58 AM by AlmostIndependent »

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Christmas Insanity
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »
Just wanted to note -- I had nothing to do with this ;-)

That is pretty crazy!

Cyanne

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 11:32:10 AM »
Does China send her a Christmas card thanking her for keeping their economy afloat?!?

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 11:37:09 AM »
Does China send her a Christmas card thanking her for keeping their economy afloat?!?

I don't know but she certainly deserves it. I would love to know what this whole spread cost.

Thorntonha

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 11:37:19 AM »
Holly Moly!  Did she say how much they spent?

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 11:40:30 AM »
Looks like 30 presents per child. Where do you put all that stuff?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 11:43:30 AM »
Couple tv's, ipads, ipods, more plastic crap.... 2k per kid.... 5 kids.... 10k?   Am sure the misses got a set of shiny rocks and he got something stupid from the SkyMall magazine for his man cave.

Sarita

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 11:45:24 AM »
I am appalled and speechless.  I've never seen anything like this. 

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 11:52:02 AM »
Absolutely revolting.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 12:06:45 PM »
It's sad but in such a way that it's already funny. :)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »
Holy shit!  I wonder if they've even bothered to put that much money per child into college savings accounts?  Or even their own retirement accounts?

Probably not.  That is sad.  Just the photo of the "trash pile" makes me want to vomit. 

And for those of you who think I am just jealous, from a statistical standpoint it seems quite likely that my other half an I earn more than this couple.  Which makes me think they are dumb and dumber.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:08:30 PM »
Looks like 30 presents per child. Where do you put all that stuff?

+1
That was my first thought - where will you put all that stuff?

Charlotte

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 12:10:10 PM »
There are no words that will adequately express my disgust....

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 12:16:26 PM »
She took these photos and boasted I mean posted them? 

Just wanted to note -- I had nothing to do with this ;-)

I did think briefly of you when I saw the thread title.

Empire Business

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 12:40:22 PM »
It's like an episode of Hoarders where there was an extra compulsion to wrap the hoard.

Thorntonha

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 01:16:46 PM »
What concerns me the most is the lessons they are teaching their children about materialism and how to allocate money.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 01:58:31 PM »
It's like an episode of Hoarders where there was an extra compulsion to wrap the hoard.

HaHa, it's exactly like that.

toodleoo

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
The pile of presents for the dog is kinda cute though :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 02:23:28 PM »
I see a nativity scene in the 5th picture (the one with the mostly pink presents).  I'd like to hear this woman's attempt at explaining the connection between the birth of Jesus in a stable and this horrific scene of consumer shit in her living room.

I am not religious and don't celebrate Christmas, but even as a non-believer, I would think that this display represents a serious clash with most of what Jesus taught.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »
I see a nativity scene in the 5th picture (the one with the mostly pink presents).  I'd like to hear this woman's attempt at explaining the connection between the birth of Jesus in a stable and this horrific scene of consumer shit in her living room.

I am not religious and don't celebrate Christmas, but even as a non-believer, I would think that this display represents a serious clash with most of what Jesus taught.

She has several posts about Jesus and her being a practicing Catholic. There are so many blatant contradictions that I'm really not sure how she reconciles it all in her head.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 02:36:35 PM »

She has several posts about Jesus and her being a practicing Catholic. There are so many blatant contradictions that I'm really not sure how she reconciles it all in her head.

Lots of Catholics don't even realize egregious contradictions, so they don't even have to reconcile them

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
WOW! I have never received that many presents in ONE day! That's crazy. When I was a kid, my most memorable Christmas was getting 3 dolls from "Santa Claus". I was so happy. We usually got one present each from our parents. Uncles and aunts are 10 altogether and not all of them would give me a present. That is crazy.

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 02:52:30 PM »
Now I understand why these people need SUVs.

drg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 03:34:44 PM »
huhhhh......

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 03:36:29 PM »
I'll have to come back to this post whenever I feel bad for spending too much.  I would be too embarrassed to post those pics, but that's just me!

swiper

• Bristles
  • swiping
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2014, 03:38:52 PM »
last one is just disgusting

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2014, 04:34:24 PM »
+1

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2014, 04:48:49 PM »
Holy.  Shit.

The pics were followed by a post that said "Today was nice. Love seeing my kids faces on Christmas morning ... LOVE when they say there is NOTHING that they were hoping for that they did not get. Christmas is my favorite day of the year."

Would it even be physically possible for the kids to want something not there?  It looks like she bought one of everything!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 04:52:22 PM »
As this hellish woman claims to be a Catholic, it would be nice if Pope Francis had a little on-to-one with her, and explained what his version of a celebration of Christmas is.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 05:02:28 PM »
This woman is clearly an antithesis of mustachian, but do we really need to be so righteous about it? Perhaps people like her are even helping indirectly to fund your own lifestyle by keeping the economy running and stocks moving ever upwards...

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »
This woman is clearly an antithesis of mustachian, but do we really need to be so righteous about it? Perhaps people like her are even helping indirectly to fund your own lifestyle by keeping the economy running and stocks moving ever upwards...
+1

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 09:40:39 PM »
WWFD (What Would Francis Do)? 10k could have supported 1-2 homeless people for an entire year.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2014, 12:45:27 PM »
As a minimalist, if told one of these stacks was for me, I would break into a cold sweat and vomit all over that beautiful hardwood floor.  :(

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2014, 01:42:06 PM »
As a minimalist, if told one of these stacks was for me, I would break into a cold sweat and vomit all over that beautiful hardwood floor.  :(

LOL--me too!  I hate to criticize someone I've never met, but this is definitely not for me!

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2014, 02:03:03 PM »
You know it is funny I opened SIX boxes this year.  I got a monitor to replace an old one on its last legs.

I got an inexpensive set of speakers.  I got a home made quilt and pillows.  I got T shirts pants and button up shirts.

Then I got a giftcard and some chocolate mints.  I felt absolutely spoiled rotten!  What an opulent Christmas I told myself,  I made out like a bandit.  We really went nuts this year.

Then I see this.  XD

tinabuggy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 07:38:22 PM »
Look at the McMansion and the big SUV to hold and haul it all. Crazy

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 10:46:59 PM »
+1

I agree -- this is crazy, but pretty impressive at the same time.  I wouldn't do it, but I don't think it deserves the moral outrage seen here.

Edit: repost this for being hilarious and relevant: http://deadspin.com/my-kids-insane-christmas-wish-list-annotated-1476311653
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 11:27:11 PM by dragoncar »

mgreczyn

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 07:46:01 AM »
Edit: repost this for being hilarious and relevant: http://deadspin.com/my-kids-insane-christmas-wish-list-annotated-1476311653

That had me laughing out loud.  Hil.  Ari. Ous.

mgreczyn

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 07:51:21 AM »
Look at the McMansion and the big SUV to hold and haul it all. Crazy
I'm not about to defend the giant pile of trash or the even gianter pile of future trash that came out of said pile, but that house looks quite appropriate for 5 kids, modest even, and they need a vehicle that seats at least 7, making a Suburban a not-unreasonable, if unnecessarily thirsty, choice.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 07:52:18 AM »
Maybe those are just nicely wrapped sandbags and they're preparing for a flood? BECAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE EXPLANATION.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 07:59:35 AM »
Holy shit!  I wonder if they've even bothered to put that much money per child into college savings accounts?  Or even their own retirement accounts?

Probably not.  That is sad.  Just the photo of the "trash pile" makes me want to vomit. 

And for those of you who think I am just jealous, from a statistical standpoint it seems quite likely that my other half an I earn more than this couple.  Which makes me think they are dumb and dumber.

I don't think you'll have to worry that anyone here will think you are jealous. ;-)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 08:41:37 AM »

Given that the environment is in a mess, I think not. It's people like this woman who help to destroy where we live...one item Made in China at a time.

scarab007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »
Looks like they had a nice time at Christmas. Maybe she won some money that the OP is not aware of.

kittenstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • "I ain't rich, but Lord, I'm free"
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 12:20:39 PM »
Bet they'll be paying for those gifts, along with sky-high credit card interest rates, into 2015!

scarab007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 12:27:45 PM »
Bet they'll be paying for those gifts, along with sky-high credit card interest rates, into 2015!

And you know this because you manage the family finances?  While this experience does not fit with most on the forum, not sure how we are able to judge them. We don't know if they came into some money, bonus, saved up or whatever they did.  Most of the time this forum has some good stuff, this thread is a little self-righteous of a few. 

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »

right?!? just looking at it makes me feel stressed out and kinda nauseous.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 01:04:16 PM »
For me, it's wrong on several levels, whether the parents were able to pay cash or not.

As I said earlier, it would be very interesting to get Pope Francis's reaction.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 02:32:15 PM »

And you know this because you manage the family finances?  While this experience does not fit with most on the forum, not sure how we are able to judge them. We don't know if they came into some money, bonus, saved up or whatever they did.  Most of the time this forum has some good stuff, this thread is a little self-righteous of a few.

Statistically speaking, it's quite likely that kittenstache is correct.  Is it possible that they saved up or had some sort of windfall?  Of course it is.  My bet is on not fuckin likely though

And even if they did have the money, there are far more productive things to do with it than buy loads of shit that nobody needs

scarab007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »

Statistically speaking, it's quite likely that kittenstache is correct.  Is it possible that they saved up or had some sort of windfall?  Of course it is.  My bet is on not fuckin likely though

And even if they did have the money, there are far more productive things to do with it than buy loads of shit that nobody needs

Well the great thing is.....it's not your life, mine or anyone on the board, so we are all good.  Just the thread is funny for me to read and read how other are so bothered by this. Almost in the who really cares category. 

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2014, 03:35:55 PM »
Well, the category is called "Anti-mustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy" for a reason.  Looks like people are finding this type of excess either funny, or shameful, or both, so I'd say the comments fit right in.