Author Topic: Chicken diapers  (Read 3515 times)

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Chicken diapers
« on: August 05, 2018, 03:25:01 PM »
https://theoutline.com/post/5608/bury-me-in-chicken-diapers?zd=1&zi=cz2ecipt

Some highlights:

Baker currently sells 500 to 1,000 diapers, which retail for $18 apiece, each month.

In wealthy cities like San Francisco, chickens have even become an unlikely status symbol, with poultry owners going to unimaginable lengths to care for their pets. As The Washington Post reported in March, certain chicken owners have hired “chicken whisperers” to consult on their pets’ comfort (to the tune of $225 per hour). These nouveau livestock enthusiasts have also been known to invest in personal chefs for their birds, and some have even installed smartphone-enabled, motion-detecting coops that control ventilation, temperature, lighting, and security from afar (ballpark cost: $20,000).

“We spend an insane amount of money. We thought we’d feed them leftovers, but our chickens end up eating grilled salmon, steak, fresh lettuce and organic watermelon,” one chicken owner, Amina Azhar-Graham, told the Post.

Baker has begun selling another upscale chicken accessory, this one without much of a function — the chicken dress. She currently offers $15 blue-or-purple tutus alongside more upscale nightgowns marketed “for the fashion-conscious hen.” Baker estimates that chicken dresses comprise 10 percent of her business, amounting to about 100 dresses sold per month. “You [used to] put a dress on your chihuahua. Now people are putting a dress on their chicken,” Baker said.

Wow.  I guess you can sell nonsense to enough people to make a very comfortable living...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Chicken diapers
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 04:21:33 PM »
I had to check the web address because this looks like an Onion article.

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »
I think it might be valuable if:

A) You're doing a ridiculous movie.
B) You're taking one or more chickens on an airplane or a bus. (That shouldn't be allowed though.)

I wonder if that qualifies as animal cruelty. It's entirely for the human's benefit. Birds don't have bladders (that's one reason birds drop guano on people, or just all over the place; I guess carrying that is too much for an animal that needs to stay light to fly). So the bird will be constantly excreting onto a piece of "clothing" that is right next to its skin.

Sometimes I think that social media is ruining all of our lives, but honestly, this kind of nonsense predated social media a long time ago. If we didn't have social media or the internet, people could still send Polaroids of their tutu-wearing chickens to all their friends and family in exchange for ... social status?

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 02:54:50 PM »

B) You're taking one or more chickens on an airplane or a bus. (That shouldn't be allowed though.)

I wonder if that qualifies as animal cruelty. It's entirely for the human's benefit. Birds don't have bladders (that's one reason birds drop guano on people, or just all over the place; I guess carrying that is too much for an animal that needs to stay light to fly). So the bird will be constantly excreting onto a piece of "clothing" that is right next to its skin.

Sometimes I think that social media is ruining all of our lives, but honestly, this kind of nonsense predated social media a long time ago. If we didn't have social media or the internet, people could still send Polaroids of their tutu-wearing chickens to all their friends and family in exchange for ... social status?
I could see something like this if you're transporting birds to or from a show or race, where they need to be clean and presentable but it's only a short distance away.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 03:42:58 PM »
I thought this was going to be about those absorbant pads under the chicken in the bottom of the meat trays because I always call those "meat diapers."  This is more entertaining.

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 12:17:45 PM »
What the cluck?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 02:23:56 PM »

I could see something like this if you're transporting birds to or from a show or race, where they need to be clean and presentable but it's only a short distance away.

How is a diaper better than keeping them in a crate with newspaper on the bottom?

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 03:09:16 PM »

How is a diaper better than keeping them in a crate with newspaper on the bottom?

Contains the filth to one bird.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 07:44:39 AM »
You can let them walk around inside your house with a diaper on. The internet has informed me that some people let un-housebroken farm animals inside their homes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 08:40:17 AM »
You can let them walk around inside your house with a diaper on. The internet has informed me that some people let un-housebroken farm animals inside their homes.

That's only because it's called child abuse when you lock the little bastards out in the back yard.  :P

bugbaby

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 06:43:59 PM »
No, this has got to be a satire ... feed chicken steak, even the Onion would be aghast

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

johndoe

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 08:48:52 PM »
Dammit the last few days when my eyes scan this thread title I keep visualizing a diaper made of chicken.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 02:26:14 AM »
This reminds me on an article once that explained how to make more money on the same product, based on what your customer is willing to pay for.
First you just sell an egg for a low price.
Later you sell fancy organic eggs for a higher price.
Then you let people from the city adopt a chicken and you send them the eggs, of course for an even higher price per egg.

Now someone has discovered how to make a shitload of money on chickens and props for chickens. It only exists because people have too much money on their hands and need new, crazy ideas on what to spend it on.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 08:06:54 AM »
I heard on the news last night that yoga + goats are a thing now. The goats are not housebroken. They go when they feel like it. That includes on the people doing yoga. Nah, I'll pass. Cute little things they are but not inside, not crawling on me if they have no control over their insides.

Southwest has instituted rules about therapy animals. You can only travel with one. Cats, dogs and miniature horses? Can you house-train a horse? The interior of a plane seems like a very bad place for a horse to have an "accident". Seems to me that an airplane ride could be very unsettling for someone who says they are easily unsettled. I have no anxiety issues and won't fly if I don't have to. I fly roughly once per decade always against my will. ;)