Author Topic: Chapter 3: The newest worst commercials on TV  (Read 16303 times)

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
Chapter 3: The newest worst commercials on TV
« on: March 24, 2014, 01:32:17 PM »
This was good for over 100 posts in its second installment, time for Chapter 3.

AT&T ad where the homogenously dressed and spectacled family gets unlimited phone, text, and 10 GB of data for $160 a month (not including the taxes, and all the other gotchas, naturally).

Teenage Son - "10 Gigs?"  (Thinks to self, I'm going to stream crap all day long. Hmmm Dad, guess what your bill looks like when those overages kick in)

Dad - "I think this is really going to bring us closer together".  (Yes, because nothing brings a family closer together than everyone staring at their smartphone)

Annoying? Yep, yep, yep, yep (all in unison now) YEP.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
Re: Chapter 3: The newest worst commercials on TV
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »
I think it's for TransAmerica.

Young(ish) woman moving her things into her new windowed office at work.  "With my promotion, I can finally start saving for retirement."

GAH!  Yes, of course, you'll never be able to start saving for retirement without that big promotion.

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 02:55:07 PM »
Actually - that AT&T deal is a pretty good price if you are going to have multiple smartphones.

On top of that price it's a month to month price so no 2 year contract.  It's way cheaper than my Sprint plan.  I'd probably switch to them but they still gouge you for a $36/phone activation fee so we will probably switch to T Mobile soon who has a similar price as the AT&T no contract plan.

Yes - I do realize it's not mustachian but at least we can write off a chunk of it since I'm self employed.

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 04:40:10 PM »
I think it's for TransAmerica.

Young(ish) woman moving her things into her new windowed office at work.  "With my promotion, I can finally start saving for retirement."

GAH!  Yes, of course, you'll never be able to start saving for retirement without that big promotion.

Yep, definitely did a double take on that one...maybe what she meant was she didn't have access to the companies 401k plan before but now she does, and they cut off her thoughts before she added "...and get a company match" That's what I'm going to assume every time I see it from now on at least.

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 06:34:02 PM »
I usually don't pay much attention to commercials, but what's with all the commercials for prescription drugs?  First they suggest what awesome things the drug might do for you and then follow up with all the horrible side effects you might have as a result of taking it.  And I have to assume that the Rx manufacturers are spending a shitpile of money on these commercials.

Then the very next commercial will be a law firm asking if you've experienced "x" from taking a certain prescription drug cuz they're (apparently) trying to put together a class action lawsuit.

It boggles my mind.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »
I usually don't pay much attention to commercials, but what's with all the commercials for prescription drugs?  First they suggest what awesome things the drug might do for you and then follow up with all the horrible side effects you might have as a result of taking it.  And I have to assume that the Rx manufacturers are spending a shitpile of money on these commercials.

Then the very next commercial will be a law firm asking if you've experienced "x" from taking a certain prescription drug cuz they're (apparently) trying to put together a class action lawsuit.

It boggles my mind.

Lamisil can cure your horrible, disgusting toenail fungus. It can also give you a potentially fatal liver disease! Hey, at least you can wear open-toed sandals for your open casket viewing!

(Poor Margaret, I never knew she drank so much. Liver disease, how horrible. Her feet look great...)

Have you or your loved one suffered from a serious liver disease by taking Lamisil?  Call the law offices of Larry L. Litigious at 1-888-NASTY-TO right away!

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 07:53:22 PM »
Is there any genre of commercial more idiotic, collectively and individually, than those for pickup trucks?

Ford? Because of course one needs the same kind of vehicle to GET TO one's job site as they use AT the job site.

Chevy: Dad takes the truck on a road trip... after all, it gets 20 miles per gallon!

Ram? Ron Burgundy telling you absolutely nothing about the vehicle.

Toyota? Problem: kid puts baseball thru window. Solution: turn the entire back yard into a ball field- complete with bleachers!!
Besides- you never know when you might need to tow a Space Shuttle.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 11:02:41 AM »
Has anyone else read "World War Z"?  I'm reading it now and came across a line, something like, "Companies sell by fear.  They're not selling you their product, they're selling you the fear of not having their product."  Not an exact quote, but close enough, and very, very true.

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »
"Companies sell by fear.  They're not selling you their product, they're selling you the fear of not having their product."  Not an exact quote, but close enough, and very, very true.

Is that the Rabies vaccine guy who lives in Antarctica? I thought his section was really interesting, but then again, I'm kind of a huge fanboy of that book. It's a great book.

Carlsky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »
Canadian Tire, Christmas Ad.

Man looking at two tool chests.  One small and one larger.  He says to himself, one day I will be able to afford the bigger tool chest.  But until then I must buy the smaller tool chest.

Wife and sales clerk come along.  Wife says, "You can buy the bigger tool chest, I just got a Canadian Tire Credit Line."  Yay, more credit.  Man looks happy.  Sales clerk says "She is a keeper".

My reaction, Fuck No.  You only spend the money you have.  Do not go into debt dumbass.

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 03:36:47 PM »
"Companies sell by fear.  They're not selling you their product, they're selling you the fear of not having their product."  Not an exact quote, but close enough, and very, very true.

Is that the Rabies vaccine guy who lives in Antarctica? I thought his section was really interesting, but then again, I'm kind of a huge fanboy of that book. It's a great book.

Agreed! I'm almost done with the book, and I've really enjoyed it. It definitely has a few facepunch moments.

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 09:38:39 PM »

It boggles my mind.

Lamisil can cure your horrible, disgusting toenail fungus. It can also give you a potentially fatal liver disease! Hey, at least you can wear open-toed sandals for your open casket viewing!

(Poor Margaret, I never knew she drank so much. Liver disease, how horrible. Her feet look great...)

Have you or your loved one suffered from a serious liver disease by taking Lamisil?  Call the law offices of Larry L. Litigious at 1-888-NASTY-TO right away!

LOL!!  There you have it!! 

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 11:31:57 AM »

That's exactly the part.  And the crazy thing is, most of us know someone who thinks that way.  "I got mine, what's the problem?"

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 05:08:40 PM »
Car ad I saw during the Olympics (forget which brand so it obviously didn't work for me). Mom takes baby-sitter home, baby-sitter (teen-age girl, maybe 15?) looks at all the nice car fixtures and ups her price.
My sister and I watched it in horror - talk about unethical behaviour on the baby-sitter's part.  The mom in the ad looked pretty shocked too.  If that were real life, that girl would never baby-sit for them again.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 08:36:23 AM »
Car ad I saw during the Olympics (forget which brand so it obviously didn't work for me). Mom takes baby-sitter home, baby-sitter (teen-age girl, maybe 15?) looks at all the nice car fixtures and ups her price.
My sister and I watched it in horror - talk about unethical behaviour on the baby-sitter's part.  The mom in the ad looked pretty shocked too.  If that were real life, that girl would never baby-sit for them again.

Ha! I remember that one, I actually thought it was pretty funny in a this-won't-sell-your-product sort of way.  Baby-sitter, figuring out client has plenty of money to simply throw away since client just threw away tens of thousands on her shiny new Chevy Behemoth (was it a Tahoe?), gouges her client for an extra 30 bucks. Hey, what's another 30 bucks to someone who is using 100 dollar bills to light their cigar, right?

Given the face punch the client deserved all along for buying such a ridiculous vehicle, a little gouging seemed perfectly in order. Feeling all fancy-pants now Behemoth driver, or feeling like a sucka?

(Yes, in real life it's totally unethical and obnoxious but in a commercial I thought it was pretty funny)

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 08:57:59 AM »
Has anyone else read "World War Z"?  I'm reading it now and came across a line, something like, "Companies sell by fear.  They're not selling you their product, they're selling you the fear of not having their product."  Not an exact quote, but close enough, and very, very true.

Sister X - all I'm finding is a book about a zombie war.  Is that what you are reading?  If not, who is the author so I can take a look?

brand new stash

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 10:20:06 AM »
There is a local credit union near me that has a radio commercial about how someone hates the garbage disposal in their house, but thanks to a new home loan from the credit union they are moving into a new house next week with a quiet garbage disposal. 

Maybe this has particularly struck me because I just had my garbage disposal break, and replaced it myself, but it just strikes me as so idiotic to even suggest that someone would make a housing decision on something that can be changed out for less than $150.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 11:02:52 AM »

Sister X - all I'm finding is a book about a zombie war.  Is that what you are reading?  If not, who is the author so I can take a look?

That's the book.  It's more like a character study post-zombie apocalypse.  The setting of the book is that someone went around interviewing people about important events in the worldwide zombie war and now, ten years later, is publishing them all as a book.  So the section I was referring to is someone who made and marketed a fake vaccine for the zombie virus, peddled it, and is defending his actions in the interview.  War profiteering at its finest.  The attitude of the character struck me particularly, because he had a zero culpability attitude and I've seen A LOT of that in business in the past decade or so.  I'm sure it's always been there, but it seems like people and companies are hiding it a lot less these days.  Maybe that's just because the past decade has been a majority of my adulthood, however.

GreenAcres

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 01:44:35 PM »
There is a local credit union near me that has a radio commercial about how someone hates the garbage disposal in their house, but thanks to a new home loan from the credit union they are moving into a new house next week with a quiet garbage disposal. 

Maybe this has particularly struck me because I just had my garbage disposal break, and replaced it myself, but it just strikes me as so idiotic to even suggest that someone would make a housing decision on something that can be changed out for less than $150.

We have that commercial too!  It really isn't hard to replace a garbage disposal.

I always think the minivan commercials are a little excessive.  There are usually two kids in soccer uniforms watching their own private televisions in the back on the way home from practice.  Is that ever necessary?  As a kid, we watched tv one time in the car while driving across the country.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »
Facepunch yall!!

watching the dam tv? What's next??!!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 05:42:23 PM »
Facepunch yall!!

It was THE WINTER OLYMPICS!!!  Which meant I was stuck with commercials.  Hey, gold in women's and men's curling and hockey, feeling good.  Just think, the women's team had a perfect record,won every game, that is a record.  Plus lots of other fun things to watch.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »
Re my last post - I love curling.  There is plan A ( what you want the rock to do) , plan B( rock almost did plan A), plan C (rock does something totally unanticipated) and plan X (what the hell happened there!?!?!)  Good introduction to planning and flexibility  ;-)

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 07:58:59 AM »
Facepunch yall!!

It was THE WINTER OLYMPICS!!! 

Ahhh, that most non-Mustachian of spectacles! Now I got it ;)

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 12:13:47 PM »

Ha! I remember that one, I actually thought it was pretty funny in a this-won't-sell-your-product sort of way.  Baby-sitter, figuring out client has plenty of money to simply throw away since client just threw away tens of thousands on her shiny new Chevy Behemoth (was it a Tahoe?), gouges her client for an extra 30 bucks. Hey, what's another 30 bucks to someone who is using 100 dollar bills to light their cigar, right?

Given the face punch the client deserved all along for buying such a ridiculous vehicle, a little gouging seemed perfectly in order. Feeling all fancy-pants now Behemoth driver, or feeling like a sucka?

(Yes, in real life it's totally unethical and obnoxious but in a commercial I thought it was pretty funny)

I had the same reaction, I thought the commercial was essentially saying "even a 13 year old can tell this car is obscenely expensive."

I just saw this today. I know at some point a while back someone had brought up the Cadillac commercial about how Americans work really hard so they can buy expensive crap. Ford's response is pretty clever, but the comments are so depressing. Apparently your average American thought the Cadillac commercial was sheer brilliance.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ford-destroys-cadillacs-rich-guy-ad-2014-3#ixzz2xCQfYuc3

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »
Mon paye c'est l'hiver.  Hockey, curling, snowboarding, skiing, the best of the best - what is not to like?  I watched on-line (cbc.ca had great coverage) since I no longer have satellite, and I got to make fun of the ads - bonus  ;-)   I did like Joannie Rochette's ad for Visa though (I think they had someone else voice it in the US, don't know abut anyplace else).

As a Canadian, I must say "sorry" about how selfish/greedy we got about winning gold medals.  So unlike us, we should have let others have more of them  ;/ 

Facepunch yall!!

It was THE WINTER OLYMPICS!!! 

Ahhh, that most non-Mustachian of spectacles! Now I got it ;)

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 01:14:36 PM »
Re my last post - I love curling.  There is plan A ( what you want the rock to do) , plan B( rock almost did plan A), plan C (rock does something totally unanticipated) and plan X (what the hell happened there!?!?!)  Good introduction to planning and flexibility  ;-)

I'm going to an introduction to curling class in April with a buddy and am really excited about it. It's the only Olympic sport that is half strategy board game. People that get curling really get it. I missed not seeing it this year at Sochi, NBC had horrible options if you weren't a cable subscriber.

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 02:23:57 PM »
Is there any genre of commercial more idiotic, collectively and individually, than those for pickup trucks?

Toyota truck commercials are the WORST. My "favorite" right now is the one where the guy from one of last year's space shuttle commercials (my boat is huge! bigger than the space shuttle?) brings his son in and tells Jan he needs a new truck because his son is getting the "old" one. HE'S NOT EVEN TRADING IT IN. His 1-year-old truck is being given to his son and he's buying a brand-new one because HE HAS A BOAT.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 02:32:55 PM »

When Sports Utility Vehicles are no longer enough, you need The Terminator. Stuck in traffic in Lost Angeles? Drive over the tops of everyone else, you'll crush 'em before the cops can catch up with you!

(A Land Rover Pickup does not guarantee a satisfying sex life after purchase.)

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 03:30:23 PM »

I had the same reaction, I thought the commercial was essentially saying "even a 13 year old can tell this car is obscenely expensive."

I just saw this today. I know at some point a while back someone had brought up the Cadillac commercial about how Americans work really hard so they can buy expensive crap. Ford's response is pretty clever, but the comments are so depressing. Apparently your average American thought the Cadillac commercial was sheer brilliance.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ford-destroys-cadillacs-rich-guy-ad-2014-3#ixzz2xCQfYuc3

Thanks for the link! That Ford commercial nails it!

I saw that Cadillac commercial during the olympics, and my mouth dropped open when it got to the end. Horrid!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 05:05:16 PM »
I hope you enjoy it!  Curling is harder than it looks, because you are on ice, which is slippery.  I know that sounds obvious, but a lot of people don't realize just how hard it can be.  And of course when you watch the top curlers, it look so easy.  I figure I am doing well when I make (or come close to making) 60% of my shots.   sigh.

If you do go for it, spend the money on a decent broom, and curling shoes and a slider.  Nothing worse than working hard sweeping and having no effect, or not enjoying the game because your feet are cold.  You don't have to spend a fortune.  Any other gear is optional (I wear cross-country ski gloves for curling, for example).

It is nice being Canadian for watching curling on TV, CBC is very good at showing the important things.  Unfortunately, although at home I watched it all on CBC.ca, when I was in the US for a few days the ccb.ca coverage was blocked.  I got to watch it all when I got home.  (And on my flight home, the Air Canada flight attendant announced the final score for the mens' Canada/US hockey game, they knew their passenger priorities).

And for fun, you know you are a curler when you worry about your weight being too light, hurry refers to sweeping, shot is not a drink, and a hammer is not used to hit a nail.

I'm going to an introduction to curling class in April with a buddy and am really excited about it. It's the only Olympic sport that is half strategy board game. People that get curling really get it. I missed not seeing it this year at Sochi, NBC had horrible options if you weren't a cable subscriber.

Khao

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2014, 03:00:50 PM »
Sometime last year I was sick of Radio-Canada's morning radio show because they changed the animator and the format and I thought it was getting really bad (Radio-Canada is French CBC). The thing is, they don't have ads at all on their radio stations. For about two weeks, I switched to another morning radio show on another channel and I was blown away by the stupidy of radio ads. The one that I remember clearly was for a car (Nissan I think?) It went like this :

Coworker 1 : I save 20$ a week since I started bringing my own coffee at work!
Coworker 2 : I saved 750$ by buying a new Nissan yesterday and I didn't even have to get used drinking drip coffee!
Buy the new Nissan something model on sale and SAVE 750$ TODAY!

* cue my head exploding from the stupidity *

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2014, 08:23:54 AM »
I know that feeling.  When I still worked in Ottawa I switched between CBC FM and CFRA on AM - it was like living on two different planets!  Part was the ads, part was the world view.

Sometime last year I was sick of Radio-Canada's morning radio show because they changed the animator and the format and I thought it was getting really bad (Radio-Canada is French CBC). The thing is, they don't have ads at all on their radio stations. For about two weeks, I switched to another morning radio show on another channel and I was blown away by the stupidy of radio ads. The one that I remember clearly was for a car (Nissan I think?) It went like this :

Coworker 1 : I save 20$ a week since I started bringing my own coffee at work!
Coworker 2 : I saved 750$ by buying a new Nissan yesterday and I didn't even have to get used drinking drip coffee!
Buy the new Nissan something model on sale and SAVE 750$ TODAY!

* cue my head exploding from the stupidity *

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »
This was good for over 100 posts in its second installment, time for Chapter 3.

AT&T ad where the homogenously dressed and spectacled family gets unlimited phone, text, and 10 GB of data for $160 a month (not including the taxes, and all the other gotchas, naturally).

Teenage Son - "10 Gigs?"  (Thinks to self, I'm going to stream crap all day long. Hmmm Dad, guess what your bill looks like when those overages kick in)

Dad - "I think this is really going to bring us closer together".  (Yes, because nothing brings a family closer together than everyone staring at their smartphone)

Annoying? Yep, yep, yep, yep (all in unison now) YEP.

I watched this commercial with a friend and rhetorically asked how anyone can possibly use that much data.  He glanced over and remarked he uses half of that by himself mostly on video.  I love him to death, but he has some financial problems and paying an extra $50 a month to watch movies and sports on a 4 inch screen shouldn't be one of them.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 03:18:13 PM »

It boggles my mind.

My favorites are the commercials where the narrator pretty much tells you not to trust your doctor or random crap you read on the internet, but instead you should suggest to your doctor that he prescribe you their particular drug because you saw it on their commercial.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 01:56:16 PM »
JcPenney for a sale this weekend: "Mom says, a penny saved is a penny earned, so save ...% on ... at the [sale this weekend]"

I actually like JCP (had good luck with clothes from there), and might even hit up that sale, but the commercial made me sad.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2014, 07:25:28 AM »
Any commercial that ends in the supposedly clever but already badly overused "hashtag - blah blah blah"

#STFU

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2014, 03:39:47 PM »
Just heard this on the radio, but I suspect it's on TV too.  Sorry if this was in one of the earlier threads:

Icanaffordcollege.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLX30ijbM2Q

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 12:10:04 PM »
Just heard this on the radio, but I suspect it's on TV too.  Sorry if this was in one of the earlier threads:

Icanaffordcollege.com:

But she raps and they are into what I'm into... You're just a hater. I'm going to the website now... :p

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »

Icanaffordcollege.com:

But she raps and they are into what I'm into... You're just a hater. I'm going to the website now... :p

Are you gonna get money for the degree you know you deserve?

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2014, 11:19:56 AM »

Icanaffordcollege.com:

Are you gonna get money for the degree you know you deserve?

lol - I'm getting a Doctorate from  FacePunch University

DHMO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2014, 02:29:37 PM »
This commercial from Fingerhut: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7SSl/fingerhut-com-nancy-and-nancys-budget

At least her budget is getting a good workout? I get the feeling it's "negative" in more than just the pun sense.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2014, 03:54:15 AM »
There is a BMW commercial where the salesman asks the dorky guy "Will you take it?" referring to the car, and he has a flashback to past opportunities he missed, like investing in Twitter on advice of a friend, who ended up with a giant yacht. Of course he takes this "opportunity" to buy the luxury car.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2014, 11:40:10 AM »
This commercial from Fingerhut: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7SSl/fingerhut-com-nancy-and-nancys-budget

At least her budget is getting a good workout? I get the feeling it's "negative" in more than just the pun sense.

Yikes, that one is truly awful. Living day to day and don't have $240 saved up for pots and pans? No worries, you can make monthly payments and.... yikes. If you haven't got money to buy cookware with cash (and yet seem to live in a nice home), the last thing you need is a payment plan.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2014, 02:55:18 PM »