Author Topic: Cat Poop Coffee  (Read 4922 times)

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
Cat Poop Coffee
« on: August 10, 2018, 01:48:31 PM »
http://catpoopcoffeeinc.com/best-cat-poop-coffee-and-kopi-luwak/

Just like it sounds, the beans have passed through the cat.  100g bag is $60 U.S.

aasdfadsf

• Stubble
Re: Cat Poop Coffee
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:16:54 PM »
Heh, I had a cup of that when I was in Bali about 10 years ago. It cost about $5 US, which was roughly the cost of an entire meal (a good one). It was much smoother than the other crap we were drinking. I don't think I'd pay to drink it again.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »
A friend has tried and he said it truly was a great but very expensive and kind of gross cup of coffee. He would buy it again though and I think I would try it too, it is one of those things that is kind of fun to say you have done and while it is crazy expensive compared to regular coffee it is not so expensive I could not afford it.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 03:35:28 PM »
I have two cats that are currently not employed - wonder if I could turn this into a business opportunity?

HoustonSker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 07:55:38 AM »
Haha yes!  I used to work in my company’s audit department and someone came back with a bag of that, then proceeded to put it in the office coffee machine.  Most of the staff didn’t care but of course the office blowhard flipped out when he found out.  Funny thing was that he wasn’t even a coffee drinker.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 07:58:39 AM »
I have two cats that are currently not employed - wonder if I could turn this into a business opportunity?

You would then have 2 super-caffeinated cats at home. Not sure if coffee profits would overcome increased breakage expenses as they tear around the house.

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 07:59:41 AM »
I tried it. Paid 6 bucks for a cup in Bali. It was offered during the village tour I took.

The coffee was good but nothing out of this world.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 08:05:22 AM by Padonak »

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 08:03:00 AM »
Heh, I had a cup of that when I was in Bali about 10 years ago. It cost about $5 US, which was roughly the cost of an entire meal (a good one). It was much smoother than the other crap we were drinking. I don't think I'd pay to drink it again.

I've tasted it as well, at an event.  It was genuinely a lot better than other coffee I've had, but certainly not something I'd pay $60 for 100g of.  That said, I'm sure most of us have some expensive taste the rest of us think is ridiculous.

Hargrove

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 10:54:46 PM »
I heard about this a long time ago. Never had it myself. After the beans are collected, farmers wash them and sun-dry them, then the skin breaks off pretty easily, after which point they go through the rest of the process.

I think sake, flour, and this are all in my "what a thing to witness the first batch" list. Marula fruit liquor? Easy enough to grasp. Mead? Hey, this honey went bad. Sure, but it's fun! Cat poop coffee? Gosh, Steve, I just don't know about that one...

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 11:41:53 PM »
http://catpoopcoffeeinc.com/best-cat-poop-coffee-and-kopi-luwak/

Just like it sounds, the beans have passed through the cat.  100g bag is $60 U.S.

Fake News! Those are civets, not cats. Cat Poop coffee would be Kopi Kucing, and that sounds disgusting. But $60 for beans from a civet’s anus is entirely reasonable.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 09:59:32 AM »
Cat poop coffee? Gosh, Steve, I just don't know about that one...

Probably one of those extreme stingy, tightwad moments.

Steve: "Dang it, these civits keep eating my crop, and it's impacting my bottom line by 1.3%." *steps in civit offal* "Hey, they're not digesting? Hmm."

[six months later]

Steve: "Hey Clyde, try this fancy new processed blend of coffee for me, eh?"

Clyde: "What'd you do to it?"

Steve: "Trade secret. Just tell me if you like it."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:04:18 AM by Daley »

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 11:44:28 AM »
One of my favorite scenes from "The Bucket List"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVJqwCdzZnw

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 08:39:23 AM »
I do find it a bit amusing what our culture deems cringe-worthy in regards to food and what we have accepted as 'normal'. Regurgetated bee-vomit and spoiled, mold-ridden milk are fine, we pile excrement around our plants and for centuries we relied on foot fungus and human spit to help get us drunk - what's so different from consuming a seed that passes through another mammal (other than the price tag)

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »
Haha yes!  I used to work in my company’s audit department and someone came back with a bag of that, then proceeded to put it in the office coffee machine.  Most of the staff didn’t care but of course the office blowhard flipped out when he found out.  Funny thing was that he wasn’t even a coffee drinker.

Putting crazy expensive coffee into a standard drip coffee machine is pretty bad though.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 05:31:02 PM »
I saw something about this years ago.   And one of the guys at work brews coffee in his office once in a while that smells like used cat litter, and I joke around with him that it's probably this cat poop coffee (I know it's not).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 05:33:51 PM by DreamFIRE »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 08:46:04 AM »
It was much smoother than the other crap we were drinking.

Grind some coffee beans, stick 'em in french press in your fridge with some water for 24 - 48 hours.  Depress the plunger and pour the coffee into a cup.  This cold brew coffee will be very low acid which makes it noticeably smoother, and will remain so even if you heat it up in the microwave.

Boom.  Crazy smooth tasting coffee . . . and no need to eat something that has already been pooped out.

:P

aasdfadsf

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 11:11:57 PM »
It was much smoother than the other crap we were drinking.

Grind some coffee beans, stick 'em in french press in your fridge with some water for 24 - 48 hours.  Depress the plunger and pour the coffee into a cup.  This cold brew coffee will be very low acid which makes it noticeably smoother, and will remain so even if you heat it up in the microwave.

Boom.  Crazy smooth tasting coffee . . . and no need to eat something that has already been pooped out.

:P

Well, yeah, that's a good way to do it.

In Bali, we were staying in a place where they'd give you a cup in the morning consisting of unfiltered ground stuff in the bottom of a mug. Cream and sugar wasn't a thing. You drank it and decided how far down you wanted to go before it got too bitter. The civet-poop stuff was far less bitter, so it was really good on that score. Believe me, I am no coffee snob. I dump plenty of cream and sugar into my morning caffeine bomb. But because of that, I really did appreciate an actually smooth cup.

Bali is a strange place, or at least used to be. We spent $5 a night staying in a place run by a guy who used to be the island's cultural minister. We'd spend the morning drinking questionable coffee and eating bananas with one of the most interesting people you could ever meet.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 06:13:26 AM »

In Bali, we were staying in a place where they'd give you a cup in the morning consisting of unfiltered ground stuff in the bottom of a mug. Cream and sugar wasn't a thing. You drank it and decided how far down you wanted to go before it got too bitter. The civet-poop stuff was far less bitter, so it was really good on that score. Believe me, I am no coffee snob. I dump plenty of cream and sugar into my morning caffeine bomb. But because of that, I really did appreciate an actually smooth cup.

Bali is a strange place, or at least used to be. We spent $5 a night staying in a place run by a guy who used to be the island's cultural minister. We'd spend the morning drinking questionable coffee and eating bananas with one of the most interesting people you could ever meet.

My brother worked in Bali for a few months, and brought me back some of this coffee.  Ground into a fine powder it clogged and silted up even paper coffee filters, so he told me to do just want you described: add it directly to a mug of boiling water, then drink until it became too bitter and 'muddy' to continue.
It wasn't bad.  Just... different.

Funny side story - my brother is a single guy who's grown a beard that travels through lots of developing nations as part of his job as an NGO.  His trip home took about 2 months, and he carted about 2kg of this coffee all the way, wrapped up in ziplock bags and secured with copius amounts of packaging tape.  The NSA was highly suspicious of his luggage, and didn't believe that this brick of home-packed coffee contained absolutely nothing but coffee, and he was detained for several hours.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 04:46:11 PM »

My brother worked in Bali for a few months, and brought me back some of this coffee.  Ground into a fine powder it clogged and silted up even paper coffee filters, so he told me to do just want you described: add it directly to a mug of boiling water, then drink until it became too bitter and 'muddy' to continue.

Funny side story - my brother is a single guy who's grown a beard that travels through lots of developing nations as part of his job as an NGO.  His trip home took about 2 months, and he carted about 2kg of this coffee all the way, wrapped up in ziplock bags and secured with copius amounts of packaging tape.  The NSA was highly suspicious of his luggage, and didn't believe that this brick of home-packed coffee contained absolutely nothing but coffee, and he was detained for several hours.

I remember reading somewhere that drug smugglers put their wares in packages of coffee to deter drug sniffing dogs. I'm not sure whether it's true, or how the dogs weighed in on it.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 01:53:50 AM »
Emperor's new clothes alert for this product.

stylesjl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 02:05:01 AM »
Have had this coffee before (1 cup) - Can testify that it is delicious but not something I would buy myself.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 04:30:31 AM »
you think its a scam?  in what way?  that it isnt any better or that it wasn't really passed through the gut of a small mammal?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 07:59:29 AM »
Since nobody's chimed in to add this detail: not only is it outrageously expensive, but they capture these animals and cage them in generally horrific conditions while forcing them to eat as many of the beans as possible. Do not support this industry, please.

you think its a scam?  in what way?  that it isnt any better or that it wasn't really passed through the gut of a small mammal?
It's real as hell, sadly.

He was probably carrying enough to blow the duty-free limit out of the water, among other things. Was he eventually released without adverse action?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 08:11:10 AM »

He was probably carrying enough to blow the duty-free limit out of the water, among other things. Was he eventually released without adverse action?

He was released after a few hours with no further action.  As the coffee had a street value of something like $25USD he wasn't violating any duty limits.  I guess he just peaked their interest with hand-taped bags of coffee and an itenerary that went something like Bali > Jakarta > Qatar > Cairo > NYC

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 01:23:09 PM »
Since nobody's chimed in to add this detail: not only is it outrageously expensive, but they capture these animals and cage them in generally horrific conditions while forcing them to eat as many of the beans as possible. Do not support this industry, please.

Oh yeah, I read about the business a bit and meant to come back to this thread. Glad it was revived and I second this point.

http://world.time.com/2013/10/02/the-worlds-most-expensive-coffee-is-a-cruel-cynical-scam/