Author Topic: Cars Going Out of Stock. Buy Now! Great Deals!  (Read 2702 times)

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
Cars Going Out of Stock. Buy Now! Great Deals!
« on: June 01, 2020, 10:01:33 PM »
Saw this gem - https://www.yahoo.com/news/dealers-warn-buyers-car-theyre-152819288.html

You'll find that you better buy a car now because there won't be any soon.

And, if you act now you can get a discount.

Because, you know, when things are selling out the seller reduces the price.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cars Going Out of Stock. Buy Now! Great Deals!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 11:16:52 PM »
Gah, that was a truly awful piece of marketing.

Isn't Hertz selling inventory? There's about to be a flood of 1 year old used cars.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 12:51:12 AM »
Gah, that was a truly awful piece of marketing.

Isn't Hertz selling inventory? There's about to be a flood of 1 year old used cars.

How can you say that? Those poor people were afraid they'd never be able to get a car and then were able to get one.

And those lucky business guys! Things are going gang-busters. They got this car selling and this one, and they're running out of this one.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 04:37:07 PM »
That's funny.  We dropped our Civic off for service today.  I was wandering the lot while waiting for spouse to get it all set up, looking for minivans (we'd briefly considered driving cross country this summer, and a quick search showed a 2014 minivan at Honda for $13k with 72k miles...didn't find it).

I did find a brand new minivan for $46,000, and then as I was wandering away from that with a "holy shit" look on my face ... a sales guy comes out (in his mask) "just waiting for husband, thanks!"

Not that the trip was cheap, it's gonna be $1800 to fix the car.  But it's an 09 with 68k miles on it, so it's a baby...

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 08:19:59 AM »
That's funny.  We dropped our Civic off for service today.  I was wandering the lot while waiting for spouse to get it all set up, looking for minivans (we'd briefly considered driving cross country this summer, and a quick search showed a 2014 minivan at Honda for $13k with 72k miles...didn't find it).

I did find a brand new minivan for $46,000, and then as I was wandering away from that with a "holy shit" look on my face ... a sales guy comes out (in his mask) "just waiting for husband, thanks!"

Not that the trip was cheap, it's gonna be $1800 to fix the car.  But it's an 09 with 68k miles on it, so it's a baby...

In my experience, find somewhere other than the dealer if at all possible to do the maintenance, an 09 shouldn’t need to go into the dealer unless it’s for a free recall repair or something like that.  Find a good independent shop, the rates will be lower and they won’t be looking for reasons to push you out of that car and into a new one. 

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 08:34:58 AM »
Our 09 Fit needed both the front axles replaced, one because it failed and broke (luckily trying to leave a stop sign on a sleepy side road). ~80k miles.

I see a lot of anecdotal "dealers are a rip off." Are there actual studies to back that up, or is this just anecdotes? I mean, I have one too which says I'm better off at the dealer -- traction control died on said 09 Fit just after the warranty (time) ended. We were of course well under the mileage limit. The area service manager covered the repair, minus the diagnostics we'd already paid. I think they said the part alone was $1800, not counting labor/etc. Even if you count it at half that, I've got a "$900 credit" to burn before I'm in the red at the dealer vs going independent. Plus a good location and shuttle service (the small shops around here don't run shuttles, and of course we're a 1-car family, so tack on the cost of a lyft or social capital cost of pestering friends for a ride).

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 09:02:04 AM »
I don’t know of any studies, and even if it’s a general rule that dealers cost more, there are of course exceptions to that rule, so the best course is always shopping around, getting quotes in writing, getting a second opinion when there’s a lot of money at stake and eventually building a relationship with a place that has shown a history of being honest, reasonably priced and does quality work wether that’s a dealer or an independent place.  But as someone who has done an automotive mechanics apprenticeship, worked at two car dealers (one import and one domestic) and an independent shop (although I’m now in a different line of work), as well as plenty of times taking my own vehicles to both dealers and independent shops I can say in my experience a good trustworthy independent shop will cost you 20-50% less for most things than a dealer.  Even when dealerships “cut you a deal” and do work “at cost” or whatever it often ends up being about the same you’d pay somewhere else.  Again, this is not a universal rule, it’s just my experience (as well as many people I know) and even if it was a rule, there would be exceptions to it. 

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 09:24:00 AM »
Our 09 Fit needed both the front axles replaced, one because it failed and broke (luckily trying to leave a stop sign on a sleepy side road). ~80k miles.

I see a lot of anecdotal "dealers are a rip off." Are there actual studies to back that up, or is this just anecdotes? I mean, I have one too which says I'm better off at the dealer -- traction control died on said 09 Fit just after the warranty (time) ended. We were of course well under the mileage limit. The area service manager covered the repair, minus the diagnostics we'd already paid. I think they said the part alone was $1800, not counting labor/etc. Even if you count it at half that, I've got a "$900 credit" to burn before I'm in the red at the dealer vs going independent. Plus a good location and shuttle service (the small shops around here don't run shuttles, and of course we're a 1-car family, so tack on the cost of a lyft or social capital cost of pestering friends for a ride).

Case in point, brand new CV axles for 2009 Fit from O'reillys
Passenger side  Manual $79 dollars Automatic $90 dollars
Drivers side Both $102.

Total for both axles $181-192

So even if labor is the same...

Nevermind reading comprehension fail, price was for traction control unit, not axles
Looks like the price on that is $1550
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 09:28:29 AM by BDWW »

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 09:38:11 AM »
..I did find a brand new minivan for $46,000, and then as I was wandering away from that with a "holy shit" look on my face ... a sales guy comes out (in his mask) "just waiting for husband, thanks!"

That's the Elite.  See Doug's review for the degree of ridiculousness built into the van.  This is the same guy that trashed on the really inexpensive car.  He's an equal opportunity trash the vehicle guy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 10:11:04 AM »

What I do is see what the part costs online and then see if I really think the dealer price is reasonable. What is the procedure to make the repair.

If it is replacing a module - sometimes it is as simple as disconnect the cable, unscrew two bolts, and reverse procedure to install.

http://www.hfitinfo.com/hofi-718.html

Sometimes the module needs to be programmed. Can't do that at home. Sometimes it is simple and a used module purchased locally or online gets the job done. There are also services that repair things like seatbelt tensioners, air bag modules, cruise control modules, etc. $200 is cheaper than $1800.

Its all up to you.

Our local Honda is at times 100% more expensive than Majestic Honda online. I have been able to talk the local dealer down a few times when the economy was struggling to a online price plus shipping. This same dealer gave me their invoice instead of the receipt one time. Yep, 100% markup. They seem to be busy. I used them during the 2008 Great Recession b/c I was sick and needed to complete a timing belt. $350 and I bought all the parts ahead of time (OEM water pump, crank and cam seals, Gates belt from NAPA). Normally the price is much higher but they were struggling. I had the flu.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:16:05 AM by Just Joe »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 10:28:21 AM »
A couple of friends recently fell into the new car mood again. Traded in two used but perfectly functional lowish mileage vehicles a while back to buy one fancy one. Fast forward to 2020 and they traded in the fancy one for something else. Because sales!

The narrative that went along with these decisions for many, many years was this one needed a repair, that one whined going up hills (small engine), they needed more interior space to haul people that they almost never hauled, to this one uses too much gasoline, to that one is hard to park, etc. etc.

Never mind they more or less already owned more or less what they bought this time a few purchases back. They are discussing buying a second vehicle that they won't use but once in a blue moon.

They are good people that we care alot about. Sure wish they could break their consumer cycle of payments and shiny things. I guess the economy needs their spending.

We have another friend who made similar choices but only stopped when a lack of money forced them to. Couldn't afford to change vehicles again. I'd like to think they appreciate the lower costs of keeping vs changing vehicles frequently.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 11:47:33 AM »

Yep, we had a problem with an axle, plus the key wasn't working, plus something was draining the battery.

We've done a fair bit of repair ourselves.  We google the problem, find videos, find the parts.  Have done that for both cars.  But with full time jobs and 2 kids at home - our barrier to hiring out has dropped.  Also, if I have to spend a couple of hours asking around for quotes or recommended mechanics, not really interested.  Not right now.  (My dad was an auto mechanic, ha!)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!