Author Topic: Cars and Coffee  (Read 4812 times)

Runge

• Stubble
Cars and Coffee
« on: August 23, 2013, 06:54:42 AM »
I was talking with a friend last night, and he mentioned that he want's to buy a Lamborghini just so he can go to "Cars and Coffee" and show it off. http://coffeeandcarshouston.com/

He said the only time he would take it out and drive it would be to that event (which is once a month).

HOLY SHIT, BATMAN!

It's a sweet event to go to check out various awesome machines, but just look at them and know that all 400,000 of those Washington's would be working to make you on average $26,000 PER YEAR!

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
Re: Cars and Coffee
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 12:02:08 PM »
I used to take my Lotus to EuroSunday (some cities have C&C, some have ES) and volunteer for their org.
Difference?
My Lotus was $29K. I no longer own it, since I am pretty Mustachian.
It's a fun event, but you don't need to own a car to attend!! Sure, it would be nice for a drive after, but a 12-year old BMW for $6k will easily keep up with the lamborghinis in a street-legal drive that usually follows these events.

I like cars. I LOVE cars. But if having my bottom pressed into italian leather by 500+ horsepower means I'll have to work an extra 10 years, then screw it.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:31:42 PM »
The title of your post caught my eye!  We have Cars & Coffee here in the Austin area too.  We recently had to break it up b/c the really high end cars didn't feel they were getting enough attention in the Leander chapter, so now they do their own event in the ritzy hill country of Austin.  Us old car people still go to the Leander one, when it's not ridiculously hot!

Hubby has a '66 Olds Cutlass, his toy car, which we practically stole a few years ago.  He enjoys going on joyrides with it, and it is a beautiful car, but not a trailer queen by any stretch.  We brought the car out to Cars n Coffee a few times, but we really don't like to just sit outside the car and watch people oogle it.  A few times we just locked it up and went looking at the other cars instead!

Maybe your friend needs to sit at one of those events for hours on end.  He might realize that the better side of the event is to look at other people's toys, not necessarily stand around with your own toy...

Runge

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 12:52:37 PM »
Maybe your friend needs to sit at one of those events for hours on end.  He might realize that the better side of the event is to look at other people's toys, not necessarily stand around with your own toy...

He normally goes every month. He's huge gear head as it is so he loves to look at all the different cars. Of course I know I'd love to look at them too, but I always feel weird ogling over peoples cars, feeding their ego.

Sure, it would be nice for a drive after, but a 12-year old BMW for $6k will easily keep up with the lamborghinis in a street-legal drive that usually follows these events.

I like cars. I LOVE cars. But if having my bottom pressed into italian leather by 500+ horsepower means I'll have to work an extra 10 years, then screw it.

Yes it would be fun, and I'm totally with you on not wanting to work an extra 10 years just to blow that kind of money. I'm hoping my biking around everywhere I can will get him and a few other friends into the mindset of bike commuting. I've already recruited one person!

mgreczyn

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 01:15:02 PM »
Dude.  Look at all the poor people.  Sure is nice of them to drive those cars so we can have something pretty to look at while we sip our coffee.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 11:42:06 AM »
Dude.  Look at all the poor people.  Sure is nice of them to drive those cars so we can have something pretty to look at while we sip our coffee.

I really hope that's not the thought process!  We've had some interesting conversations w/ car owners who genuinely want to share stories about the car, how they fixed it up, etc.  The best stories are the barn finds that they purchased for a song.

I never bother w/the coffee b/c it's way too hot to drink coffee when I go, and b/c the frou frou coffee truck is WAY too expensive!  If I must have something to drink and forgot to bring it from home, I walk around the corner to the gas station to get something instead.  It's more mustachian that way, lol.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 12:57:27 PM »

I love going and seeing the cars.  The looks of the exotics is something I really enjoy.  However, inside a car they're basically all the same, and inside the car driving it is what I prefer to do when I'm playing with my own cars.  :-)

And for those that only care about being pushed back hard in the seat, a $5000 Turbo Eclipse with around $10,000 in mods will push just as hard as most of those $100,000-250,000 cars leaving the factory.  :-)

Some day though, I hope to be one of those super lucky guys that comes across one of those rare "found in a barn, bought cheap at an auction" supercars!

yahui168

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 12:48:07 AM »
May be your friend can just rent a car when he wants to go to an event. Not sure which is more antimustachian, buying an exotic car or joining one of these clubs.

One-time Initiation Fee starting at $1500
Monthly Dues starting at $150/mo.

http://clubsportiva.com/club-memberships