Author Topic: Can't get by on 100k?  (Read 17435 times)

Timmmy

• Bristles
Can't get by on 100k?
« on: September 15, 2014, 09:44:26 AM »
http://money.msn.com/saving-money-tips/post--cant-get-by-on-dollar60k-dollar80k-even-dollar100k

This is insane.  $1300 in car payments.  $400 in cell phone.  $100 for TV so you can have the weather channel. $1000 in gas.  Reading this makes my head hurt.

kittystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Can't get by on 100k?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:29:44 AM »
I saw this as well!  One family has HUNDREDS of dollars of childrens activities - $800+ yet cannot save any money at all?

the other whiner?  Husband has a TOY (motorcycle) with a payment.

I am put out that the columnist did not call them out on anything - but I do love the budget breakdown.  If you can call that a budget.

purpleqgr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »
I laughed my butt off at family number 2 - 2800/mo on car payments, gas and insurance for four people. 1200/mo on groceries PLUS 300/mo on 'toiletries/cleaning products' PLUS 120/mo on "beer - it's our only outlet". How the hell do you spend 300/mo, every month, on toiletries? FFS.

The kicker is this statement in the last paragraph:

"We could afford to pay off our credit cards if we didn't have to pay for taxes or insurance."

Just.. wat

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 01:14:47 PM »
Dear God!

Frank

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 01:21:14 PM »
My favorite was from the family in Central Louisiana, "DirecTV -- $100 (needed for weather channel and business)."  WHAT?! 

A few others....
Beer -- $120 (we need to drink – it’s our only outlet).
Gas -- $1,000 (my husband travels for his job -- our gas bill is high).

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »
2800/mo on car payments

That's more than a good portion of this forum's total monthly expenses.

@.@

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »
1200/mo on groceries PLUS 300/mo on 'toiletries/cleaning products' PLUS 120/mo on "beer - it's our only outlet". How the hell do you spend 300/mo, every month, on toiletries? FFS.

It's obvious the family lives on Hot Pockets.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 02:23:02 PM »
1200/mo on groceries PLUS 300/mo on 'toiletries/cleaning products' PLUS 120/mo on "beer - it's our only outlet". How the hell do you spend 300/mo, every month, on toiletries? FFS.

A little googling lead me to Walmart.  12-pack of Hot Pockets for $9.98 ($0.83/hot pocket). 

4 family members x 2 hot pockets/meal x 3 meals/day= 24 hot pockets/day
720 hot pockets/month ~$600/month

My initial guess at 2 hot pockets/meal was off.  The family is clearly consuming 4 hot pockets/meal (~4,000 calories/day). 

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 02:27:00 PM »
Hooray for them! 

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 02:40:37 PM »

A little googling lead me to Walmart.  12-pack of Hot Pockets for $9.98 ($0.83/hot pocket). 

My initial guess at 2 hot pockets/meal was off.  The family is clearly consuming 4 hot pockets/meal (~4,000 calories/day).

We should start using this as a measure of how wasteful one's food budget is. 

"Right now, I am averaging a 2.4 hot pockets grocery budget, but I would really like to be in the 1.7 hot pocket range."

Chranstronaut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 02:55:50 PM »
I couldn't even read past the second line of the table.  Spending $525 every month so the husband lives 1.5 hours away from his family during the week?

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 03:34:34 PM »
I couldn't even read past the second line of the table.  Spending $525 every month so the husband lives 1.5 hours away from his family during the week?

No kidding. Talk about a crazy commuting expense. Between the gas, car payment, and rent for the apartment they're spending $1,275 a month. Knowing the Bay Area, most if not all of the tolls are his as well.

And how is he burning $80 a week in gas?  That's around 18 gallons at Cali prices. An hour and a half each way once a week is probably around 180 miles. What kind of commuter car is he driving?

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 03:48:23 PM »

And also from Walmart, an 18 pack of Charmin Ultra Soft is ~$18. 4 family members x 1 roll/day x $1/roll = $4/day for toilet paper. Remember, Hot Pocket diet. $120/month just for toilet paper.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
I laughed my butt off at family number 2 - 2800/mo on car payments, gas and insurance for four people. 1200/mo on groceries PLUS 300/mo on 'toiletries/cleaning products' PLUS 120/mo on "beer - it's our only outlet". How the hell do you spend 300/mo, every month, on toiletries? FFS.

The kicker is this statement in the last paragraph:

"We could afford to pay off our credit cards if we didn't have to pay for taxes or insurance."

Just.. wat

$1200. The only way I can get that is some serious food allergies and/or they are shopping at Whole Paycheck/refuse to buy anything but non-GMO, organic, flour handground by Artemis worshiping hipsters in a commune outside of Salem, OR.  It is a frequent flier topic on parenting boards, people bankrupting themselves to eat in certain ways.

DollarsAndDissonance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 04:01:07 PM »
Oh this is too good.  I love some of the justifications for various line items here:

$600 per year for "safety GPS units for kids on bikes"
$6,000 per year, blamed on air conditioning because it's hot out
$4,800 per year on phones, with a house phone required due to spotty service
$3,600 per year on toiletries/cleaning supplies (???)
$1,200 per year for TV, which is the only way to get the weather report
$14,400 per year on groceries
$12,000 per year on gasoline, because work requires a lot of driving

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »

And also from Walmart, an 18 pack of Charmin Ultra Soft is ~$18. 4 family members x 1 roll/day x $1/roll = $4/day for toilet paper. Remember, Hot Pocket diet. $120/month just for toilet paper.

If I was eating 12 hot pockets/day, I would probably need $4 of toilet paper/day.  I'm glad you selected the ultrasoft option. 

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 04:46:54 PM »

This is hysterical!  Plus I know what episode these frames are from (Alaskan Bull Worm).  But on a serious note, I had the same thought - move your family. 

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 05:32:50 PM »

National Weather Service (www.weather.gov, check your local phone book for pre-recorded phone reports at 122 offices nationwide) was ~$7/ taxpayer/year last I heard, I'd say they are over paying by about $1193.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 06:34:34 PM »
Forget a face punch. I want to roundhouse these stupid fucking morons....with my left foot...square in the teeth...

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 06:43:13 PM »
Wow. Just... wow.

I think the justification is equally as bad as or maybe even worse than the actual expense.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 07:48:12 PM »

No kidding. Talk about a crazy commuting expense. Between the gas, car payment, and rent for the apartment they're spending $1,275 a month. Knowing the Bay Area, most if not all of the tolls are his as well.

And how is he burning $80 a week in gas?  That's around 18 gallons at Cali prices. An hour and a half each way once a week is probably around 180 miles. What kind of commuter car is he driving?
That was my question too - $525 because it's cheaper than the train.  Is the train more expensive than $525 + car + his gas?

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 06:02:15 AM »
You can't make this stuff up.  It's just too stupid.

We're in this wage bracket, and we are currently in our highest spending years ever.  We have a 17 and a 20 years old, and we're on the brink of paying college for two.  HOWEVER, we're paying it out of current earnings AND are still putting away a bit towards savings every month.  How can we do it when they can't?  Well, we all live in the same house.  No car payments.  No student loans.  What I'm saying mainly is that our money is our money -- it isn't already spent by the time we receive a paycheck. 

Admittedly, we don't have bike GPS service. 

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 10:32:41 AM »
What the hell type of budget item is this:

"Weekly $150/week (this is still a struggle monthly)"

And a safety GPS for your kids bikes? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I like that the husband is paying $800/month to commute to work.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 10:35:08 AM »
Also, gotta love the top comment on the article:

Look at this crap.  Family #2 is spending $1100/month just in car payments, plus another $215/month for a motorcycle payment.  They are spending more per month on vehicles than on their mortgage payment - that's ridiculous and stupid!

$500/month for car insurance? Even with a teen driver, that's outrageous.  Shop around, it should be less than half that.

$400/month for phones?  Shop around for a better plan.  Again, should be less than half that.

$1200/month in groceries?  Start shopping more sale ads.  Could easily be half that.

$120/month for beer?  Seriously?

$100/month for internet?  Again, should be half that.

$500/month in credit card payments?  Did you learn your lesson yet?

$300/month in toiletries and cleaning supplies?  What are you doing, using a new toothbrush every other day?

Seriously, if your family of 4 is making six figures and your mortgage payment is $1200/month (very reasonable) and you're still broke while living in Louisiana, you're a moron living in denial.

LalsConstant

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 12:46:29 PM »
Simply amazing.  How did these people go so far down this road?

LOL @ Hot Pockets Diet.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 12:53:52 PM »

After reading the comments I can't bare to open and read the link.   The 2,800 in car payments scared the shit out of me. 

Sad part --  These folks are not atypical at all.   It is the norm,  that no matter what you make, spend it and then put some stuff on credit as well. 

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 01:43:41 PM »
So wasteful and they didn't even buy anything particularly cool...

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 03:44:33 PM »
$120/month on beer sounds pretty awesome.  ;)

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »
Wow.  What a lot of wasted spending.  Even at my craziest pre mustachian life I couldn't have figured out how to have some of those expenses.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 07:32:44 AM »

Depends on what kind of beer you're buying.  I don't know if I want to drink $120 of natty ice in a month. 

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 07:41:56 AM »
How the hell do you spend 300/mo, every month, on toiletries? FFS.

Lol, exactly.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »
Scary, but not surprising.  I know a few people at my job who have maintained two residences.  In order to move up in my company it is mandatory to spend time in City X, but all these people want to live and raise their families in City Y, so they suck it up for a few years to a decade in order to move up the ladder.  Usual excuse is not wanting to uproot the kids from school.  My parents moved frequently when I was a kid, for no real reason than they wanted a nicer house/better neighborhood, and my schooling/friends were never even a factor.  As a result, I became really good at making new friends.

My new neighbor just put up a for sale sign.  We live on the outskirts of the suburbs, so while property values here are rising, they are not escalating by leaps and bounds.  They have lived in their current home for about 7 years, it's a 4,000 sq ft 6 BR house.  They have at least four kids living at home still, with one out of the house but not in college.  Wife is a stay at home, hubby is a high level executive who travels by plane frequently.

We really like them, and were sad to see them list the house.  Hubby informed us that they are looking to downsize, they are having trouble making ends meet and are not getting any younger.  From tax records I can tell that they purchased the house for $250K, which shouldn't be a horrible mortgage.  Here are the problems they aren't addressing:
Wife is very involved with the church, so lots of events are held at the house - they are paying for all the F&B.
I honestly can't tell you how many vehicles they have, most of which are SUV's and pickup trucks.  I suspect there are at least 7 vehicles, all relatively new, guaranteed all financed.
Super fancy RV with all the bump outs, for the two times/year they go camping/hunting.  RV is housed at a storage unit nearby.
Bunch of ATV's with the trailer required to transport them, again, for the camping trips.  Also not stored at the house.
STUFF - everywhere.  The garage is filled to the brim, and the house is heavily decorated, walls covered in decor, counters and furniture filled with knick knacks, serious shopping habit!

Their house has been sitting on the market, and every week, they throw out more crap and replace carpeting, in an effort to make the house more appealing.  Last week, they dropped the house price by a measly 1%.  By the time they sell this place, pay for closing costs/realtor fees and move, they will barely make $30K in profit.  Then they still need to go find a new house to buy.  Seems like there are so many better ways to cut back, but they are blind to it.  Oh, and here's the kicker - there's a brand new car sitting in the driveway with the paper tags on it.  I don't even think it's a replacement vehicle...

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »

I honestly can't tell you how many vehicles they have, most of which are SUV's and pickup trucks.  I suspect there are at least 7 vehicles, all relatively new, guaranteed all financed.

Super fancy RV with all the bump outs, for the two times/year they go camping/hunting.  RV is housed at a storage unit nearby.

Isn't SUV and truck ownership mandated by law in TX?  :-)  It is interesting how quickly you hit upon the most pressing issue but other people can't see it.  Are you good enough neighbor friends to mention it to them? 

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 01:50:11 PM »

Isn't SUV and truck ownership mandated by law in TX?  :-)  It is interesting how quickly you hit upon the most pressing issue but other people can't see it.  Are you good enough neighbor friends to mention it to them?

Ha!  When my Prius was totalled a few years back (Ram 1500 + sleeping driver), all my co-workers wanted to know which pickup truck I would be getting 'cause it was safer.  When I got a used Civic, some of them seemed surprised that I had "traded down".  I never bonded w/that car, so 16 months later I sold it for more than I bought it for, and started driving our spare '01 Honda Accord.  A co-worker saw my ad for the Civic, and asked me what I'd be getting.  I told her, a fatter bank account.  They all still look at me w/sadness in their eyes, I just refuse to own the official vehicle of TX!

As for the neighbor, I moved in roughly 11 weeks ago, and they listed a month ago.  I probably shouldn't mention to them that all our cars and our new house is paid for, we are much younger too and that sort of thing never goes over well...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 04:03:42 PM »

Depends on what kind of beer you're buying.  I don't know if I want to drink $120 of natty ice in a month.

“You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are.” - Adolphus Busch

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »
Electricity -- $500 (this is the South and it's hot).

What?  I live in South Texas.  I'm quite sure it's at least as hot here (and probably hotter) than anywhere in Louisiana.

We have NEVER paid more than $250/month for electricity.  I think the highest ever was about $230 during August of last year (a brutally hot month when the temp hit $100+ just about every day).

So how is this idiot AVERAGING $500/month?  He must have his AC set to the temperature of a meat locker.

Much of the rest was also ridiculous, but that line was just INSANE.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2014, 04:35:56 PM »
Let me see if I can play this "Woe is me, everything costs too much" game:

Mortgage -- $350 (we paid the house off years ago- this is for property tax)
Electricity -- $120 (this is the South and it's hot).
Phones -- $24 (Magic Jack and 2 pay as you go flip phones)
Auto insurance -- $150 (NO accidents, NO tickets).
Health insurance -- $200 (2 people).
Home insurance -- $100
Truck payment -- $0 (My truck is 13 years old, it was paid off during the Nixon administration, or thereabouts).
Motorcycle payment -- $0 (Toys are for kids).
Car payment -- $0 (For wife- she doesn't buy on credit, either).
Car payment -- $0
Groceries -- $500.
Toiletries/cleaning supplies -- maybe $30?  What the heck would I do with $300/month worth of cleaning supplies unless I had a serious OCD?.
Internet -- $40 (needed for business).
DirecTV -- $0 (If I want the weather, I'll use the internet, not TV).
Second mortgage -- $0. (same as the first mortgage)
Credit card payment -- $200 (paid off in full every month, no interest, no fees, not even paying for postage anymore)
Clothes -- $10 (we hardly ever buy clothes, and when we do, we don't buy expensive crap).
Water -- $25.
Medical payment -- $0.
Eating out -- $50 (hey, I found one where we spend more than the idiots in the example!).
Beer -- $40 (we need to drink – it’s our only outlet).
Gas -- $100 (my husband travels for his job -- our gas bill is high).
Tax savings -- $0
Total monthly payments: $1,939, Or $23,268 per year. 

Maybe that's why we are multimillionaires and the clowns in the example are broke ass?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 08:29:56 AM »
The worst part is most of us work with people who are just like the examples in the article.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2014, 10:30:29 AM »
Oh this is too good.  I love some of the justifications for various line items here:

what? How is that possible? At $4/gallon that's 3,000 gallon per year. At 25 mpg = 75,000 miles per year?! If he drives for work every day that's almost 300 miles every day! What kind of job is that? And if it requires that much driving and doesn't reimburse him it's a shitty job!

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2014, 10:38:36 AM »

what? How is that possible? At $4/gallon that's 3,000 gallon per year. At 25 mpg = 75,000 miles per year?! If he drives for work every day that's almost 300 miles every day! What kind of job is that? And if it requires that much driving and doesn't reimburse him it's a shitty job!

Your math is all wrong. He lives very close to work. His daily driver...

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2014, 12:33:11 PM »
What model is this monstrosity and how "efficient" is it? I don't think I've ever seen a "car" that big...

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »

Your math is all wrong. He lives very close to work. His daily driver...

Oh, I get it.  Her husband is Ironhide from the Transformers.  Explains the gas bill, but wouldn't that cut down on the food budget? 

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2014, 01:10:12 PM »
My favorite part was a comment next to the auto insurance amount: "full coverage with minimum state limits"

I don't think they know what "minimum" means...its definitely not the same as full coverage.