Author Topic: Can't afford the gas to drive new $40K RV to local campground  (Read 23516 times)

darkadams00

• Bristles
Over dinner this week my wife mentioned to her brother that my son and I are biking to a nearby lake for an overnight camping trip this month. She will be joining us later that evening as well. That's when said brother-in-law mentioned that he wished he and his wife had the money to take their RV on a camping trip. They both work and make decent pay, but they don't have a clue about money. After two years of fighting out of a negotiated credit/debt mess, they immediately financed a brand new, $0 down, $40,000 RV for years to come. Now they don't have the money for gas, food, and campground fee for an overnight trip at a campground one hour away! This is wrong on so many fronts, and the only outcome of a related conversation would only be excuses and hard feelings. Maybe they'll figure it out before they become grandparents.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
Re: Can't afford the gas to drive new $40K RV to local campground
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 08:05:56 PM »
This situation reminds me of one of my favorite anti-mustachian songs of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCd6UHR-3I

favorite lyrics include: "got a quarter tank of gas in my new E-class, but thats okay cuz im still fly"

and "can't pay my rent, cuz all my moneys spent, but thats okay cuz im still fly"

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 12:54:53 AM »
personal vent- How do you call it camping when you're driving a HOUSE? The whole point of camping is to get away from that stuff, not drag it along.  They might as well have parked in a mall parking lot, she'd probably have preferred it anyway :P

Let me know how the trip goes, I'm planning my first overnight , even if I am staying in a motel.  If I camped alone in a park, I think my whole family, including hubs would have massive conniptions.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
But they're perfectly set up for their next staycation! 

coconutpop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 12:36:40 PM »
These things are ridiculous. You can tell him to drive it in his backyard and camp there. It will probably the same thing without all the annoying other same people from the camp.

or rent it to people.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 07:12:32 PM »
Oh and I thought my Wife's familiy were the only Dumba$$es I knew!..

Makes yer weep doesn't it... No doubt my lot will have their hands outstreached again soon.

Frank

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 07:21:26 PM »
This situation reminds me of one of my favorite anti-mustachian songs of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCd6UHR-3I

favorite lyrics include: "got a quarter tank of gas in my new E-class, but thats okay cuz im still fly"

and "can't pay my rent, cuz all my moneys spent, but thats okay cuz im still fly"

Back in my day, rappers complained about not having a dollar for gas to start their Monte Carlos. This new generation is so spoiled.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 08:55:38 PM »
It's too bad there isn't a modern, affordable camper van like the old VW Westfalias.    Sure, you can buy a 12+ year old one for essentially the same price (or more) as it was new, but it would be great to have an affordable camper van option in the us.   I love the idea of backpacking, but it just doesn't work that well with children under 6.    And setting up camp everyday on a longer trip really sucks.    I once drove for 14 hours just so I wouldn't have to set our tent up another time.

Which is why I'm currently building a removable storage/sleeping box for the back of my Sienna.   By building I mean sketching up plans in my mind.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 12:28:17 PM »
Always love how this topic is guaranteed to bring out the judgmental and elitists who have issues with the whole idea. I've had many RVs, been all over North America with them, and laugh at the comments about how only idiots would own houses on wheels. Our kids are in, and/or have just graduated from various universities. When they were younger, we would load up a travel trailer and hit the road for the summer. Frequently from the east coast to Alaska and back. Nothing to spend 10-12 weeks on the road for an amazingly low cost. A tiny fraction of what it would of run in hotels, or even taking a two week cruise for the whole family. That said, by that time, as a young family, we had our act together enough that the RV was paid for before it left the dealer, and we had orchestrated our professional careers to allow for hitting the road for months at a time.

Unfortunately, the OP's family represents the more common element of the RV buying world, those that can't afford it, and really end up with their sack in a vice after they take a TEN to TWENTY year mortgage on these poorly built, horrifically depreciating, shit boxes. Now those folks amaze me. It's pretty typical for an RV to be worth 1/3 of it's MSRP after 4-6 years, and it's pretty typical for an idiotic owner to still owe way more than that and have another 5-15 years of payments on the thing.

That said, enjoying the lifestyle is great, I'm currently in a remote fishing village on the Gulf of Mexico and it's a stunningly beautiful, cheap, stress free place to escape the brutal north east winter.  Rving is  not for everybody, and  it's a bad road to head down if your not financially wary, but I can't complain. I don't attack all the horse owners. boat owners, golfers or others here who find silly, and potentially expensive ways to entertain themselves, and I smile at those that describe me as an idiot for doing so.

BTW, a modest ranch home in this village goes for a minimum of $400K. I'm staying in a high end resort with a heated pool and all the bells and whistles for $475/month. Idiot indeed.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 05:56:18 PM »
I have friends with similar situations, only it's SUV's on loans, not RVs. At the time I had a two door commuter car, an esky i got from the dump and a $10 department store tent and I still had fun every time I camped :)

LowER

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 06:19:25 PM »
Always love how this topic is guaranteed to bring out the judgmental and elitists who have issues with the whole idea. I've had many RVs, been all over North America with them, and laugh at the comments about how only idiots would own houses on wheels. Our kids are in, and/or have just graduated from various universities. When they were younger, we would load up a travel trailer and hit the road for the summer. Frequently from the east coast to Alaska and back. Nothing to spend 10-12 weeks on the road for an amazingly low cost. A tiny fraction of what it would of run in hotels, or even taking a two week cruise for the whole family. That said, by that time, as a young family, we had our act together enough that the RV was paid for before it left the dealer, and we had orchestrated our professional careers to allow for hitting the road for months at a time.

Unfortunately, the OP's family represents the more common element of the RV buying world, those that can't afford it, and really end up with their sack in a vice after they take a TEN to TWENTY year mortgage on these poorly built, horrifically depreciating, shit boxes. Now those folks amaze me. It's pretty typical for an RV to be worth 1/3 of it's MSRP after 4-6 years, and it's pretty typical for an idiotic owner to still owe way more than that and have another 5-15 years of payments on the thing.

That said, enjoying the lifestyle is great, I'm currently in a remote fishing village on the Gulf of Mexico and it's a stunningly beautiful, cheap, stress free place to escape the brutal north east winter.  Rving is  not for everybody, and  it's a bad road to head down if your not financially wary, but I can't complain. I don't attack all the horse owners. boat owners, golfers or others here who find silly, and potentially expensive ways to entertain themselves, and I smile at those that describe me as an idiot for doing so.

BTW, a modest ranch home in this village goes for a minimum of $400K. I'm staying in a high end resort with a heated pool and all the bells and whistles for $475/month. Idiot indeed.

You are living my dream....  "Stupid is as stupid does."  So, I am with stupid....as the old T-shirts used to exclaim.  I wish I was your temporary neighbor.

theanimal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 10:10:14 PM »

Back in my day, rappers complained about not having a dollar for gas to start their Monte Carlos. This new generation is so spoiled.

One of the rappers in the video is worth well over $100 million. I don't think they were speaking literally.

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 11:43:47 PM »
LowER, that's awesome and it would be a lot of fun to do what you do.

My personal vent was about a friend of mine and her family that would take a mega rv " camping" and instead of going outside and enjoying the park , spending time with each other, etc.  they stayed inside watching DVD's the whole time.

Of course, I've never had to set up a tent in the dark - My Dad would probably be less nostalgic about tent camping in Victoria, but it was heaven on earth at the time for me.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 03:45:02 AM »
LowER, that's awesome and it would be a lot of fun to do what you do.

My personal vent was about a friend of mine and her family that would take a mega rv " camping" and instead of going outside and enjoying the park , spending time with each other, etc.  they stayed inside watching DVD's the whole time.

Of course, I've never had to set up a tent in the dark - My Dad would probably be less nostalgic about tent camping in Victoria, but it was heaven on earth at the time for me.

I was under the impression that people were not ragging on people for simply using an RV,  but rather the people who claim that using an RV is camping. Drive to the campground, park, stay a few days, and drive home. That is not camping. Using an RV as a portable home on a road trip seems like a perfectly reasonable use for them though.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 04:29:05 AM »
I'm more concerned why someone has 40k in a depreciating asset, and can't spare $50 for gas.

Elyse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 06:39:17 AM »

Using an RV to go on a roadtrip and using an RV to go "camping" are different, though.

I used to live in a beautiful mountainous area. 

Quiet, peaceful, and a great backpacking area.  Then you hear the roar of the RV and hear people screaming "how great it is to get away from technology".  Without fail, every time an RV came near they would get out and laugh at everyone in a tent because "what if it rains?" 

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of going around in an RV and having adventures.  But I greatly dislike it when people call that camping.  It is a vacation in the mountains, but it is not camping. 

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 05:01:19 PM »
I'm more concerned why someone has 40k in a depreciating asset, and can't spare $50 for gas.

Be fair. It's an RV. Prob more like $400 in gas.

TreeTired

• Bristles
  • I think we can make it (We made it!)
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 05:50:08 PM »
$40k doesn't buy a whole lot of new RV does it?

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 06:56:42 PM »
Nope, but it's pretty much a given here that most of our fellow forum followers are smart enough to find a great buy on a used one. In that case, $40K can buy a pretty amazing piece of equipment.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 07:12:20 PM »
Using an RV to go on a roadtrip and using an RV to go "camping" are different, though.

Quiet, peaceful, and a great backpacking area.  Then you hear the roar of the RV and hear people screaming "how great it is to get away from technology".  Without fail, every time an RV came near they would get out and laugh at everyone in a tent because "what if it rains?" 

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of going around in an RV and having adventures.  But I greatly dislike it when people call that camping.  It is a vacation in the mountains, but it is not camping.

For me it's more about RVers who are self absorbed pricks. Unfortunately, they are far too common. As a family we have been in several situations in stunning places like national parks, when everybody from backpackers to elder folks in giant motorhomes were enjoying the beautiful peace and stunning solitude of a primitive campground.  Soon it's getting dark and some loser has to fire up the generator to watch TV!  WTF, you are in a magical place and you just HAVE to fire up a noisy POS generator, and use your Dish satellite to watch Dancing with the Stars? Those are the ones I would like to just shoot.

As for the definition of camping, it's a never ending bitchfest on the RV related forums. Some have no issue with pulling into a Wal-Mart lot to get a few hours of sleep, others are horrified by the thought. Some folks end up spending months in the desert every winter and do it 100% off the grid, others can't imagine stopping anywhere but a high end "motor coach" resort. I knew an old motorcycle mechanic who said it best, "there is an ass for every seat".

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 02:36:05 AM »
"what if it rains?"

I can imagine a few blushes and sheepish grins when that gets asked LOL

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 07:07:32 AM »

One of the rappers in the video is worth well over $100 million. I don't think they were speaking literally.
Regardless, I don't think we should be taking life lessons from rappers. 

My daughter told us a story recently about some idiot rapper who was in court for a serious crime, and when the judge asked him whether he was guilty, he responded, "I might be, Bitch."  Hard to believe they found him guilty.

Nope, but it's pretty much a given here that most of our fellow forum followers are smart enough to find a great buy on a used one. In that case, $40K can buy a pretty amazing piece of equipment.
Within a few miles of my house I know of 3-4 RVs -- all the BIG models -- that're sitting in people's yards with for sale signs.  I don't know if it's that they want to rid themselves of the payments, or if they can't afford the sizeable cost of gas, but people are trying to ditch these things left and right. 

On the other hand, the elderly couple a few houses down from me has a 5th wheel style RV, and they stay gone weeks at a time.  They've had it for years.  They seem to be getting their money's worth out of the purchase. 

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 10:13:34 AM »
My daughter told us a story recently about some idiot rapper who was in court for a serious crime, and when the judge asked him whether he was guilty, he responded, "I might be, Bitch."  Hard to believe they found him guilty.
If true, dude is an asshole but not necessarily an idiot. If he's going to prison anyway, might as well get his name in some more newspapers/blogs. You can still sell gangster rap albums when you're in prison.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 07:02:56 PM »

Sounds like g the little homies wanna be like. Coulda been worse, mighta grabbed a court officer's gun and started squeezin, then grab the judge and scream out nobody leavin.

jimmymango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 08:00:35 AM »

I'd like to hear the rationale behind this.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 12:50:49 PM »
Speaking of RV's a buddy of mine borrowed a friend's high end RV for the weekend.. it did something like 6mpg on average.

it took 20 minutes at the pumps to fill it with diesel.

Add to this the $25 plus a night "camping" fee and.. you guessed it.. its cheaper to stay in hotels and drive an economical car!

Frank

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 07:13:54 AM »
If true, dude is an asshole but not necessarily an idiot. If he's going to prison anyway, might as well get his name in some more newspapers/blogs. You can still sell gangster rap albums when you're in prison.
I hadn't considered it from that point of view.  Mayhap the evidence was so overwhelming that it would speak for itself, and the question was rhetorical.  That could be true.

Really?  It isn't self-explanitory? 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 09:48:24 AM »

Ooh, ooh, let me!  I'm guessing you were hoping somebody would find rap distasteful because it has roots in urban African American culture (a bad reason to hate rap) but I find rap distasteful because it glorifies misogyny, homophobia, and fiscal irresponsibility (a better reason to hate rap).

Every few months I have another opportunity here to make this same point:  value is not measured in dollars.  Just because some dude has $100million in the bank does not automatically make him a role model for the rest of us.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 10:18:35 AM »
I have never RVed but sort of wondered why you would own one vs renting one when you wanted to use it.  Seems like it would be way more fun and perhaps cheaper to fly somewhere half way across the country, rent an rv use it for a week/two driving it a relatively short distance then fly home.  Easier to see all different places and save on the boring driving of  the 300 miles near your home.  Guess this assumes you dont have five kids.

6mpg = 0.166 gal/mile
300miles * 0.166 gal/mile * 4.0$/mile = $200, x2 (there and back) $400 in gas to get out of your 'neighborhood' never mind getting from the east coast to YellowStone.

Still hardly mustachian to fly and rent, but if you have the money and that is what you want to do...

But I am also probably more inclined to fly and do so more casually (work related and award travel) than most.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »

Ooh, ooh, let me!  I'm guessing you were hoping somebody would find rap distasteful because it has roots in urban African American culture (a bad reason to hate rap) but I find rap distasteful because it glorifies misogyny, homophobia, and fiscal irresponsibility (a better reason to hate rap).

Every few months I have another opportunity here to make this same point:  value is not measured in dollars.  Just because some dude has $100million in the bank does not automatically make him a role model for the rest of us.

Agreed for the most part, but...There is a very large alternative rap scene with rappers that don't conform to the industry standard of urban stereotypes.    Mark Maron had a rapper on his pod cast a few months ago that went to fancy boarding schools and recently made an album called "Rappers will Die of Natural Causes," that had songs about things like being a stay at home dad.   

Back in the day I was a big fan of the album "Handsome Boy Modeling School" and "Deltron 3030."    Those are both big concept albums with complex musical layering, a continuous storyline and a variety of music styles.

The current music situation is both great and horrible.   Great, because there are so many more choices than were available when the big record companies ran everything.   Horrible because it's really difficult to wade through all the crap when there isn't a sort of gate keeper saying "this stuff is good, this isn't."

Still, outright dismissing hip hop because of overt urban stereotypes (often pushed more by record companies than artists themselves) is like disliking rock because of anything Ted Nugent has ever said.

jimmymango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »

Still, outright dismissing hip hop because of overt urban stereotypes (often pushed more by record companies than artists themselves) is like disliking rock because of anything Ted Nugent has ever said.

Greaper, that was exactly the point I was trying to make. Thanks for saying it for me! I felt MrsPete's statement was ignorant and dismissive of not only the entire genre based on what's heard on the radio, but the artists themselves, as if (for our purposes) no rap/hip hop artist could ever have anything of value to say in relation to financial matters, simply because of some of the songs they sing. It's like saying, "Don't take business advice from Robert Downey Jr. because Tony Stark lives a lavish lifestyle."

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2014, 11:16:58 AM »
jimmymango, greaper007: +1

Topical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfbGLdTVj_M
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:23:59 AM by senecando »

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 04:18:45 PM »

Actually my reasons are close to yours -- except I would also add their disrespect of the police and authority in general as well.  Why would you jump to the assumption that I'd dislike it for racial reasons? 

Willbrewer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 07:36:41 PM »
Some have no issue with pulling into a Wal-Mart lot to get a few hours of sleep, others are horrified by the thought. Some folks end up spending months in the desert every winter and do it 100% off the grid...

Hey, I'm guilty of both! I bought a new 26' travel trailer in 2010 and have been living in it full time for the last two and a half years. I just pulled it back up to the Puget Sound area a couple of weeks ago... from a 5 month boondocking (off the grid) stay in the desert near Quartzsite, AZ. Stayed in a couple of WalMart parking lots along the way, too. Most Walmarts encourage RVers to stay. I've read that each overnight RV stay in a Walmart parking lot nets the store an average of something like $50-$100 in sales.

I don't own a house anymore. This IS my home. Taxes are about $60 a year, insurance $115 a year. And if you look around you can find plenty of cheap or free places to stay. For instance, in the LTVA (long term visitor area) by Quartzsite, the fee is $180 for a 7 month period. And that includes trash, sewer, and potable water. RVing can be a really low cost way to go, especially if you own your rig free and clear, like I do.

And I don't call it camping either. It's full time RVing to me.

Bill

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 06:17:24 AM »
I don't own a house anymore. This IS my home.

Noob question but where does your snail mail go, friend, family, po box?  Then it gets saved up and mailed to where you happen to be?  guess you would not have a lot of mail but still must get some.

halfmutt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 07:13:23 AM »

I've been on a mission to convince my husband that RV-ing might be something right for us when he wants to leave his 9to5 job.  We could rent out our house (Northern Virginia - would command a LOT of $$) and RV full time for a couple of years.  We don't take up much space and aren't attached to our things and love to go places and meet people, so I'm thinking it might be pretty nice.  What makes the idea extra enticing is all the ads for barely used RVs for A WHOLE LOT LESS than price of new!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:16:42 AM by halfmutt »

Elyse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2014, 07:35:52 AM »

Actually my reasons are close to yours -- except I would also add their disrespect of the police and authority in general as well.  Why would you jump to the assumption that I'd dislike it for racial reasons?

I think sol meant that you thought someone else would dislike it for racial reasons.

Edit: wrong name!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:55:11 AM by Elyse »

Willbrewer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2014, 10:09:50 AM »
I don't own a house anymore. This IS my home.

Noob question but where does your snail mail go, friend, family, po box?  Then it gets saved up and mailed to where you happen to be?  guess you would not have a lot of mail but still must get some.

When I first moved to WA state I stayed with a friend temporarily, and use that address as my permanent WA address for now. He occasionally forwards mail when I need something specific. Mail can be sent to me "General Delivery" to any post office I'm near while I'm traveling.  And yeah, I don't get a lot of mail, unless you count all the damn credit card offers I get.

A popular option for full time RVers is to use South Dakota as their state of residency. It has low tax rates and it's easy to set up residency there. Last I heard you only have to spend one night in the state (proven with a campground or hotel receipt) in order to get a SD drivers license, which you have to show up in person to get. Everything else can be done by mail or online- vehicle registration, voter registration, etc. Then, there are several mailing services that can be used, where you'd get an actual, physical address of your own, and your mail would be forwarded to wherever you wanted, at whatever interval you desire.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »
@Willbrewer, cool, thanks for info.

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2014, 01:08:01 PM »
This thread (at least the rap part) reminded me of this video, which is very funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Otla5157c

Also it has a rap section (which admittedly is in a song full of farce) that gives some good advice (at least better advice than most people follow).

Sparky

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2014, 10:54:40 PM »
Now to be fair, that $40k RV needs a $50k truck to pull it. 

Or even worse you could be my parents, who own an RV lot, Trailer and a Camper, with a truck to pull it all…… It works out to about 155k just to "camping". I'll stick to my tent.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 08:15:22 AM »

Or even worse you could be my parents, who own an RV lot, Trailer and a Camper, with a truck to pull it all…… It works out to about 155k just to "camping". I'll stick to my tent.

With those costs averaged out you could fly somewhere first class, have a limo pick you up at the airport and drive you to the trail head with your tent and gear.  Hike for two weeks eating caviar, steak and the finest Scotch then limo it back to the front of the plane and still come out ahead.

pac_NW

• Stubble
  • Have the stamina to work on it until it's right
    • Take Next Steps
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2014, 06:41:22 AM »
That said, enjoying the lifestyle is great, I'm currently in a remote fishing village on the Gulf of Mexico and it's a stunningly beautiful, cheap, stress free place to escape the brutal north east winter.

PaddedHat - would love to hear more about this place in Mexico.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2014, 03:37:12 PM »

With those costs averaged out you could fly somewhere first class, have a limo pick you up at the airport and drive you to the trail head with your tent and gear.  Hike for two weeks eating caviar, steak and the finest Scotch then limo it back to the front of the plane and still come out ahead.

This is my new reason to attain FI.

RetireAbroadAt35

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 04:11:57 PM »
I find rap distasteful because it glorifies misogyny, homophobia, and fiscal irresponsibility (a better reason to hate rap).
That's a universal problem with top 40 music - whether it's hip hop, country, pop, etc.  There is amazing music out there in all of those genres, you just won't find it on the radio.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to fire up some Jurassic 5 and enjoy the music.

RetireAbroadAt35

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2014, 04:15:09 PM »
PaddedHat - would love to hear more about this place in Mexico.

Me too - though he may not actually be in Mexico.  Being on the Gulf could mean Texas, Louisiana, etc.

That said, I had a helluva time camping and exploring Veracruz not too long ago.  The Costa Esmeralda is only a long day's drive from the Texas border.

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 09:33:23 PM »
Can we talk about rap in this thread? I think it has the potential for an interesting discussion.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/let's-talk-about-rap/

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2014, 07:21:00 AM »

For me it's more about RVers who are self absorbed pricks. Unfortunately, they are far too common. As a family we have been in several situations in stunning places like national parks, when everybody from backpackers to elder folks in giant motorhomes were enjoying the beautiful peace and stunning solitude of a primitive campground.  Soon it's getting dark and some loser has to fire up the generator to watch TV!  WTF, you are in a magical place and you just HAVE to fire up a noisy POS generator, and use your Dish satellite to watch Dancing with the Stars? Those are the ones I would like to just shoot.

Yep, THIS.  I don't begrudge folks who like to travel in comfort and see the country.  But I'll never understand why anyone would park their GIANT RV in a campground in the middle of Grand Teton National Park, in the shadow of those grand peaks, with moose, buffalo, elk, deer and bear all around, and yet set up their freakin' satellite dish (probably so they can watch their Fox News).  Boggles my mind.  Don't get me started on the generators.

going2ER

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2014, 12:26:20 PM »
We purchased our RV the mustachian way. Someone desperate to get rid of it sold it to us for $3,000. The inside is still like new. We use it to get away on the weekends. There is one campground about 20 minutes from our house, but its a world of difference than being home. Our other favorite is about 1.5 hour drive away. It is expensive to haul it, but we generally don't go too far.

We spend most of our time outside, no tv, although there is a place for one. We ride bikes, fly kites (my sons favorite), swim, walk, have camp fires, etc. I just like a comfy place to sleep and shower. I do agree it is different than camping, which is something I don't enjoy.

Paddedhat I'd also love to know where you are staying at. Hopefully once we retire we will have the option of spending winters in the southern US.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2014, 03:28:55 PM »

Depends.  6 years ago I plunked down 16 grand on a small travel trailer we could tow with our existing vehicle (minivan).  In the ensuing years we have used it for 25 or more nights a year and had some really great experiences with it.  When we relocated 2/3 of the way across the country it was a godsend as a home away from home, especially since our new place was not ready to close for a week after we arrived at the new area.  I have never regretted buying it for a minute.  This year we have 4 weeks of summer trips already planned and will use it for numerous 2 and 3 day excursions locally.  It has required little maintenance thus far.  Will need a set of new tires this year and I can see a new roof in the card in the next 2 years or so, but the trailer is going strong.