Author Topic: Don't Stress About Your Debt! Go Ahead and Go Broke In Your 20s  (Read 2994 times)

Marus

• Stubble
    • My Literature Blog
Don't Stress About Your Debt! Go Ahead and Go Broke In Your 20s
« on: December 10, 2015, 11:55:13 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/12/10/dont-stress-about-your-debt-go-ahead-and-go-broke-in-your-20s/?postshare=9681449760887976&tid=ss_fb-bottom

Not sure why the Washington Post thought this was worth publishing, but figured folks here would get a kick out of it.

Summary: "If you're young, start maxing out your credit cards and having wild experiences!  You'll thank yourself for it later."

pdxbator

• Stubble
Re: Don't Stress About Your Debt! Go Ahead and Go Broke In Your 20s
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
I turned 31 in October and officially paid off all $14,000 in credit card debt. I would’ve finished earlier, but Mexico, San Diego and Vegas called. In a span of two months, I became a bridesmaid (twice) and needed to replace all of my car tires. Cost: $1,590 and some flight credit. Then, my temp job hired me full-time.

Oh gawd. That makes me really sad. Unfortunately I doubt this writer will learn much from her past debt. It sounds like she will be on the path to eventual bankruptcy. She has no emergency fund at all.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 12:20:09 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/12/10/dont-stress-about-your-debt-go-ahead-and-go-broke-in-your-20s/?postshare=9681449760887976&tid=ss_fb-bottom

Not sure why the Washington Post thought this was worth publishing, but figured folks here would get a kick out of it.

Summary: "If you're young, start maxing out your credit cards and having wild experiences!  You'll thank yourself for it later."

UG this is without a doubt the dumbest article ive read - even worse than the last girl writing on the same topic. If you want to be a dumbass with your money/time/life go right ahead, but don't pretend its anything other than complete asshattery, don't try and pull more people onto a losing team.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 12:25:10 PM »
She somewhat lucked into a good job after being irresponsible. Not sure what the lesson is there.

Thanks for posting though, it was entertaining. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 01:49:38 PM »
My shares in MasterCard love people like this.