Author Topic: Cadillac's $1500/mo car sharing program  (Read 4085 times)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Cadillac's $1500/mo car sharing program
« on: January 06, 2017, 08:13:05 PM »
Here's how it works:  you pay $1500/mo, and get access to a new Cadillac whenever you want.  You reserve it using a mobile app, and they deliver the car with a full tank of gas to you for however long you need it.  That $1500/mo covers the car, insurance, registration/taxes, maintenance, and detailing.

My car's value, plus a year's insurance, total less than one month's use of that car.

https://www.bookbycadillac.com/#group1

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cadillac's $1500/mo car sharing program
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »
My idea was that if you're one of those youtube car guys, you can sign up for this for one month, go through their entire list of cars offered, film a review of each one, and then cancel. For $1500 you can make, like, ten videos of cars that most people don't review much. If I was trying to make it, get my foot in the door of car journalism, I'd probably do this.

Otherwise, I think all the car guys have been laughing about how stupid it is.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:53:37 AM »
Sign up, spend the month doing the ultimate road trip, return car, cancel subscription.  I once grabbed a new Volvo from a rental agency, it came with unlimited mileage. The look on the employee's face two weeks later, as he typed 7000 miles into the computer, was priceless. It was a great trip.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 12:45:58 PM »
BRB going to their site to see if they have a car I care about driving.

The CTS-V is really the only care that would make it semi worth it.  Then again, that car costs $85k which could be financed less than the $1500 per month.  Don't care enough to do a price analysis to see just how much the "convenience factor" really costs if one were to get the highest priced models all the time.

I hope it is successful so other car companies follow suit. haha

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 06:48:59 PM »
I wonder if the rumored 6.2L DOHC that GM is developing will end up in a cadillac. If they offer unlimited mileage, $1500 to drive one around for a month (~15k miles I'm thinking) would be hard to beat.

Of course, I already have a big fuckin' engine, so I'd prefer to drive mine instead. (Actually, I hope to ship the car to europe and drive around for six months and ship it back, at some point in the next several years.)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 07:42:29 AM »
Could you share with me what it would cost to ship a vehicle to Europe, drive it around for six months and then ship it back?

If I wanted to do this what would I search for on Google?

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 03:18:48 PM »
I found some links like this - http://theroadforks.com/worldtrip/england/how_to_ship_your_car_to_europe

In short, it seems like one should budget about ten grand for driving it to and from the shipping site (or having it trucked), shipped, inspected, registered for the temporary term, etc. Not even remotely close to inexpensive.

thedigitalone

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 04:32:47 PM »
Could you share with me what it would cost to ship a vehicle to Europe, drive it around for six months and then ship it back?

We shipped a 35' Winnebago over to Germany back in 2007, it cost about $5k all told (shipping + insurance) and traveled for 12 months in it on our US plates with no issues.

Shipped it out of Baltimore on RORO and it took about 3 weeks to arrive in Bremerhaven.

Customs is a huge pain, there is a lot of paperwork and you'll need to own the vehicle outright with the title free and clear in hand.

We sold our unit over there, the Brits like to buy the US rigs and snowbird it down in Spain, we almost broke even in the end!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 06:11:58 PM »
So $10k round trip sounds like a good estimate (or, probably less than $10k, but make sure to have the budget for it). Obviously, my car is a hell of a lot smaller and lighter.

I am, uh... curious ... about inspections, specifically ones related to modifications, specifically ones related to performance. Do they care? California cares about my supercharger and long-tube exhaust (with cats! I would never run without cats.) Would be nice not to have to worry about them deciding the car isn't road-worthy because it's been upgraded. I imagine I could probably ship it to a friendly country, like greece or something, wherever they care the least.

Thankfully no issues of ownership. I don't finance toys.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 06:55:09 PM »
Of course, I already have a big fuckin' engine, so I'd prefer to drive mine instead. (Actually, I hope to ship the car to europe and drive around for six months and ship it back, at some point in the next several years.)
Tell us more about your plans to ride that big fucking engine really hard in Europe.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 07:32:39 PM »
BRB going to their site to see if they have a car I care about driving.

The CTS-V is really the only care that would make it semi worth it.  Then again, that car costs $85k which could be financed less than the $1500 per month.  Don't care enough to do a price analysis to see just how much the "convenience factor" really costs if one were to get the highest priced models all the time.

I hope it is successful so other car companies follow suit. haha
The ones in this program are premium models. You can spec a CTS-V at $110k - you're not getting an $85k model in this.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 07:54:06 AM »

We shipped a 35' Winnebago over to Germany back in 2007, it cost about $5k all told (shipping + insurance) and traveled for 12 months in it on our US plates with no issues.

Shipped it out of Baltimore on RORO and it took about 3 weeks to arrive in Bremerhaven.

Customs is a huge pain, there is a lot of paperwork and you'll need to own the vehicle outright with the title free and clear in hand.

We sold our unit over there, the Brits like to buy the US rigs and snowbird it down in Spain, we almost broke even in the end!

That's kind of what we have in mind. More of a van camper though. Would be alot of fun given the time and money to do it and not worry too much about the budget.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 01:34:55 PM »
Tell us more about your plans to ride that big fucking engine really hard in Europe.

Hazy plans. Ship car to whichever country is most favorable and doesn't care about aftermarket performance modifications, bum around for six months, live out of the car a lot, camp a lot. Almost certainly park it on the outskirts of major cities before going in, because good god is that car nor designed for european cities. Enjoy the stupid ridiculousness of it all. See how fast I can go on the autobahn, get embarrassed by even faster cars. Arrange all the basic maintenance items, and really really hope nothing major breaks, because it'll be a huuuge pain getting parts.

Thankfully this car was sold (in small numbers) in Germany and maybe a couple other places in euro spec, so I won't be completely fucked if something happens.

I am aware of how roads in europe are - I probably won't be able to get past third gear most of the time. On the plus side, third gear is really really fun. I drive around in mountains a lot with similarly winding roads and lower speeds.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!