Author Topic: Cable gets cut off every month  (Read 4738 times)

hoyahoyasaxa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Cable gets cut off every month
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:27:17 AM »
So, my wife came home last night and told me that she has a friend from work who told her a story about her cable bill that day.  Every month, this girl is unable to pay her cable bill so the cable gets cut off.  Then, later in the month, she ends up calling the cable company to have it turned back on when she has the cash.  This happens every single month.  My wife tells her that we cut our cable six months ago and we never even notice it anymore.  We watch Netflix on our TV for $8 a month, and have an antenna so we can watch our favorite shows (and I can watch college basketball on Saturdays) on ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox.  The girl's response: "oh yeah, I really should get rid of my cable.  I don't know what keeps me from doing it."  My hunch is that she doesn't actually get rid of it and continues to pay for it when she has the cash.

burly

• Stubble
Re: Cable gets cut off every month
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 07:39:30 AM »
Not surprised...

It's sad. I've seen this countless times... I used to work at a local Bank branch and so many people are clueless about their spending habits... Even when you point it out in black and white, some are too stupid or too stubborn to change.

I

venkol

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 07:46:46 AM »
Sadly, we live in a Comcast monoply area where canceling cable seems pretty moot.  Whenever my bill goes up from $70 to $130, I call comcast and ask to drop cable and keep only internet.  They offer me $60 for internet only or $70 for cable + internet + DVR.  The $10 a month seems worth it.  I still have to play the game every six months, which is just annoying.

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:34:09 AM »
Sadly, we live in a Comcast monoply area where canceling cable seems pretty moot.  Whenever my bill goes up from $70 to $130, I call comcast and ask to drop cable and keep only internet.  They offer me $60 for internet only or $70 for cable + internet + DVR.  The $10 a month seems worth it.  I still have to play the game every six months, which is just annoying.

Have you considered switching down to just basic cable? I was paying $12-15/month for that and then $40ish for internet, which is much better than $70-130/month

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:40:55 PM »
Alternately, have either of you Comcast subscribers looked into going through Earthlink for service? Earthlink piggybacks on TWC and Comcast for service in the areas it offers to, then you don't technically have to pay for TV at all.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:54:02 PM »
Somewhat related: I was a cashier at Gap and we constantly had customers who would spend time shopping, come up to the register, and then not know if they enough available credit on their Gap card to pay for the merchandise! They would say "I hope this works..." and swipe their card.

Cecil

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 01:46:47 PM »

I've been playing this game with my local cable company for 6 years. They call me, offer me full cable for $10/month for 6 months. When I call to cancel I ask to continue the rate and they always say no, so I cancel it. A few months later, they call me back and offer me the same deal.

I'm sure they've spent more money sending a tech to my house every 6 months than they've ever made off me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!