Author Topic: Buying TWO brand new cars at the same time!  (Read 3716 times)

jc4

• Stubble

Silverado

• Stubble
Re: Buying TWO brand new cars at the same time!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »
A Joey Special!

I did not read the thread.

carolinap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:03:06 AM »
I'm not the one to facepunch strangers with extravagant purchases as long as they can pay for it without going in debt, but
definitely not mustachian and a weird addition to the forum, hahaha
I doubt that everybody in this forum is 100% mustachian (I have my own share of stupid eating out habit) but at least I recognize it as un-mustachian

carolinap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 04:05:24 AM »
I'm not the one to facepunch strangers with extravagant purchases as long as they can pay for it without going in debt, but
definitely not mustachian and a weird addition to the forum, hahaha
I doubt that everybody in this forum is 100% mustachian (I have my own share of stupid eating out habit) but at least I recognize it as un-mustachian

I now see a "I know this is completely anti-mustachian but I don't care" part, but it looked like for me that he was looking for approval as a reasonable purchase

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 04:30:56 AM »
The suggestion that the OP 'saved $40k' by spending four times that amount.

*facepalm*

aboatguy

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 08:18:08 AM »
I don't see an issue with it.  However, if I was in the market for a $200k car it wouldn't be the NSX.   caveat the NSX is a nice car but is not my style.....

Mike

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
I'll be honest, I don't see the problem. 

"The Antimustachian wall of shame and comedy".

The OP in the other thread said its antimustachian, so it fits the first criteria. Is it shameful or comedic, perhaps. As the author says they had a relative pass away and their response was to spend enough money that they had to keep working (un-FIRE). I think its somewhat sad that the grieving response was to spend less time with family and more time at work. That would be the shame part, that's the problem I see.

If you have someone close to you die, is it better to cherish time with your remaining loved ones or to spend your retirement money on cars which also requires you to keep your job (paraphrasing OP)? Cars and work over retirement and people, that seems wrong to me and many others.

Not everything posted in this thread is comedic, some stories offer lessons to avoid behaviour we may regret. Lets ask OP in a few years if they would have chosen time off work over the cars?

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 04:58:41 PM »
Reading through the original thread, it is hard to believe that there is debate over whether purchasing two brand new petroleum powered wheelchairs is "antimustachian".  I think the community has drifted into one centered on "financial independence" leaving out the "badassity". 

There have always been people that worked hard, made lots of money and spent big $s on fancy cars.  That culture is contrary to the ethos of MMM's blog.  Personally, I would love to hear the OP post about learning to program and arduino weather station or plant zucchini or bike to and from work for the first time.  My opinion: "I bought a six-figure car" is a ridiculous post for this community.  I am 100% supportive of linking the post here. 

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 07:01:08 AM »
if you want to buy new cars, one, two or a half dozen, and come out of FIRE, then you're better off going to hang out at Bogleheads. You're allowed to humblebrag your Rolex, mid-life Porsche crisis (numerous threads), luxury SUVs, yooge houzz, Blue Apron, etc. But you can't use the "7 words you can't say on TV".

If you want badassity, stay here on MMMForumz.