Author Topic: Buying a Hermes Bag at their flagship store in Paris  (Read 14827 times)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
Buying a Hermes Bag at their flagship store in Paris
« on: April 22, 2017, 01:01:25 AM »
The ridiculousness of buying a Hermes Bag at their flagship store in Paris

http://www.purseblog.com/hermes/hermes-faubourg-saint-honore-boutique-shopping-line-appointments/

When it comes to shopping at the Hermès global flagship store on rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré in Paris, though, demand from international tourists hoping to score bags when visiting the city has so far outpaced the boutique’s ability to serve customers in an appropriately luxe way has resulted in a switch to a somewhat complicated and time-consuming appointment system that can take up a full day of a traveler’s stay in Paris, if not more.

Waiting a whole day of a holiday hoping to buy a bag (that will probably cost a couple thousand) seems completely crazy to me

stylesjl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Buying a Hermes Bag at their flagship store in Paris
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 01:24:49 AM »
Waiting a whole day of a holiday hoping to buy a bag (that will probably cost a couple thousand) seems completely crazy to me
Spending more than a whole day's wages on a handbag seems even more crazy, you're not only wasting time waiting in line but you're also wasting you're time working to pay for it.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 01:26:49 AM »
Spending more than a whole day's wages on a handbag seems even more crazy, you're not only wasting time waiting in line but you're also wasting you're time working to pay for it.

True the ridiculousness of buying label things is bad, but if I was going to spend that much money (which I wouldn't) I would be expecting better customer service. or just going to one of the other stores within Paris instead of going through all this hassle

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 02:28:55 AM »
The nihilistic, self-unaware joys of consumerism. Dumber than monkeys

“As it got closer to opening time, the line in front of us doubled because of line cutters."

That's because the people in front of you are people who have been hired to stand in line on behalf of others

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 05:40:06 AM »
OP needs to realize that it is "AN"- not "A" Hermes bag. Hmph.

Seriously, I can't decide which is more mind-blowing: that Purseblogs and Purseforums actually exist- or that SO MANY PEOPLE are incapable of realizing just how badly they're being played

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 05:37:21 PM »
"YOUR ODDS OF BEING OFFERED A DREAM BAG.."

One of the subject lines in the article.... There is negotiation? Heck no - I want what I want.... ;)

Seriously - there will never be a day when I spend that kind of money on any clothing or fashion accessory.

Google shopping shows $500 to $130K for a purse....

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 06:29:37 PM »
The unboxing is even more interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=actmohezuJs

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 07:58:00 PM »
At least Hermes bags tend to hold their value. If you are going to buy a luxury purse better to go all the way to the top thann the god awful Luis Vuitton totes you see what seems like everyone in Manhattan running around with. Of course I don't have this problem because I carry a backpack instead haha.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 06:52:58 AM »
Fools and their money...

I bought a Handbag of Holding off ThinkGeek.  Tons of room, stylish, let's my geek-flag fly and it was under $50.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 09:44:43 AM »
Yeah, I'll go for a quality backpack too.

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »
Birkin bags start at about $9,000 and go up to past $100,000.  Ridiculous. 

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 08:29:45 AM »
I feel like this is where I will be sent in the afterlife if I do not pass the final judgement.

PepperPeter

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 09:33:01 AM »
Fools and their money...

I bought a Handbag of Holding off ThinkGeek.  Tons of room, stylish, let's my geek-flag fly and it was under $50.

Mr Peter got me a handbag of holding, and I love all the pockets, but I wish the bag itself were lighter.  Do you find it heavy for a canvas bag?  I don't know anyone else with one to compare. 

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »
Fools and their money...

Mr Peter got me a handbag of holding, and I love all the pockets, but I wish the bag itself were lighter.  Do you find it heavy for a canvas bag?  I don't know anyone else with one to compare.

Most of the weight is in the strap (which you can take off if you aren't using it) And the rather silly nameplate tag. That thing is HEAVY.  But I love my HoH, I got it when it went on sale for like 30 bucks?  Part of my problem is it gets so heavy because it can carry everything.

PepperPeter

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 10:28:44 AM »
Fools and their money...

Most of the weight is in the strap (which you can take off if you aren't using it) And the rather silly nameplate tag. That thing is HEAVY.  But I love my HoH, I got it when it went on sale for like 30 bucks?  Part of my problem is it gets so heavy because it can carry everything.

Oh, good tip.  I'll pry off the nameplate tonight.  I use the strap everyday though because I normally wear it as a crossbody.  Hopefully one day they'll retool the bag a bit and use a different fabric. 

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 12:37:30 PM »
Oh yes it's heavy on it's own (I think it's 4 lbs empty) and especially after I load it up but I look at the weight as a trade-off for all of the room it has.  I've used it exclusively as an overnight bag for when I head out of town and even then there's still room for any extra's I need/want to throw in.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 01:37:13 PM »
Y'all need one with wheels...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 12:23:29 PM »
Ha! I used to have a thing for Longchamp leather backpack handbags. Bought my first one with a bonus discount when I worked at Nordstrom. Bought the next one in Paris because it was cheaper at the source than the first one, even after the big discount. I bought the last one on eBay. I loved those bags, as I commuted on public transit and liked to keep my hands free. I also can't be bothered with changing handbags to match my attire. It was a splurge, but made me feel less deprived because I was on a super frugal kick and saving like mad, particularly by not buying anything (else) new. I used them until I wore through the leather.

Now I'm FIRE and don't need anything so cavernous, but it was a small thrill at the time.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 07:35:55 PM »

Unboxing, as a phenomenon/thing, blows my mind. What a pointless waste of time.

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 07:43:40 PM »

I have watched dozens of unboxing on YT. I am fascinated with it like Jane Goodall was with her chimps. Though I think there is a little 'unboxing' in all of us if you deeply examine your motivations and psychological self-rewards.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »
If they have the money for it then it's their life. I can't help but feel a little envious of people that have such money that they can spend it on a bag (yes I know that they are said to hold their value and can be re-sold but still).

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 09:41:42 AM »
I used to love AMPAC bags they were sturdy but seem to have disappeared much like the Baggallinis.  I can get them at Rodman's but they're so expensive now I will likely end up on eBay buying them.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 09:56:22 AM »
Unmustachian--I have a Kate Spade bag.

Mustachian (at least for this sort of thing)--I paid less than a hundred bucks for it.  I suspect the style was being discontinued which is why it was so cheap, but it's very classic-looking and I've gotten many compliments on it and I can use it forever. 

And we saw the lines outside the Paris Hermes store.  One of my aunts had a Hermes scarf back in the day and we would pet it like a kitten WITH SUPER-CLEAN HANDS.  No one knows what happened to it, alas.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »
If they have the money for it then it's their life. I can't help but feel a little envious of people that have such money that they can spend it on a bag (yes I know that they are said to hold their value and can be re-sold but still).

I received a Chanel bag as a gift once a long time ago.  It didn't get much use from me because I am usually very casually dressed and it just didn't go with my other stuff.  Anyway, after it having sat in my closet for maybe 10 years, I decided to sell it on Craigslist.  Within a few minutes of putting my ad on CL, I had about half a dozen people interested in buying it.  Mostly pretty serious and only one low-baller. 

New, I believe the bag cost about $1,000.00 and I listed it for $800.00.  I took the first person who offered $800.00 and sold it to them.  I think it helped that it was a classic style - black, quilted leather with gold hardware IIRC and in excellent condition.   I also had the box, registration card and clothe bag that it came in.  The young woman who bought it really knew her stuff.  I guess she'd been studying those hand bag sites.

Selling it was an interesting experience.  I sold another one I had later on but it wasn't as much of a classic so it took a little longer to sell.  I would say they do keep their value.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2017, 07:02:53 AM »
We don't need no stinking appointments!

Code: [Select]
https://decadesinc.com/collections/hermes

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 07:53:39 AM »

http://www.purseblog.com/hermes/hermes-faubourg-saint-honore-boutique-shopping-line-appointments/
I may have read something more ridiculous than this, but nothing comes to mind at the moment. 

Apparently in order to "qualify" to be seen by a personal shopper, you must be dressed appropriately -- preferably already carrying a Hermes bag -- and must not seem too anxious (i.e., hanging around waiting your turn).  You get to see one bag ... and if you want to see another, that first bag must be returned to stock.  And the bags cost as much as I earn in a year? 

Honestly, I don't understand this on any level. Nothing here is even remotely tempting.  I totally understand that they're trying (and apparently succeeding) in trying to create a unique experience /product that's only reachable by a few uber-wealthy people ... but it comes off as petty and stupid to me. 

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2017, 08:18:31 AM »

I may have read something more ridiculous than this, but nothing comes to mind at the moment. 

Apparently in order to "qualify" to be seen by a personal shopper, you must be dressed appropriately -- preferably already carrying a Hermes bag -- and must not seem too anxious (i.e., hanging around waiting your turn).  You get to see one bag ... and if you want to see another, that first bag must be returned to stock.  And the bags cost as much as I earn in a year? 

Sounds kind of like travelling on an overbooked American air carrier, only minus the airport police`beat-down at the end...

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2017, 09:18:37 AM »
I've gone to the flagship a few times to pet and smell the saddles.  Boo that I would have to compete with crazy purse obsessed people now to get in!

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2017, 09:19:11 AM »
And apparently, some of these "designer" bags are ripoffs of $1 Ikea bags

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 10:50:56 AM »

Honestly, I don't understand this on any level. Nothing here is even remotely tempting.  I totally understand that they're trying (and apparently succeeding) in trying to create a unique experience /product that's only reachable by a few uber-wealthy people ... but it comes off as petty and stupid to me.

Auditioning to be a customer? That's not how that works in my universe. Its the other way around... ;)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »
Auditioning to be a customer? That's not how that works in my universe. Its the other way around... ;)
That's a great way to phrase it! 

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2017, 12:23:33 PM »
How can this not be THE ONION?

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2017, 12:37:10 PM »

Honestly, it can be a mustachian steam-valve release. Now you don't have to buy it, because you've experienced the moment of unboxing. Because honestly the thrill of buying a new thing that you don't need is in the initial receipt of it. After that, it loses it's thrill.  So, just watch a youtube video and move on!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 11:14:20 PM »
The other night, while on business travel, I had a horrible nightmare in which I was trying to buy just such a  purse. I was running into the exact problems the article described. The nightmare was entirely in French and I woke up with an increased appreciation for the conditional tense.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2017, 05:59:20 AM »
Wait... so they just randomly pick a bag for you? You don't get to say what color you want or anything?

I don't get this at all.

I actually need a new purse (mine finally gave up the ghost), but I'm tempted to just use a grocery bag in protest.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2017, 10:06:27 PM »
Wait... so they just randomly pick a bag for you? You don't get to say what color you want or anything?

I don't get this at all.

I actually need a new purse (mine finally gave up the ghost), but I'm tempted to just use a grocery bag in protest.

According to the article, you do get to describe the kind of bag you want (size, style, sub-brand, color, etc.) but there may not be one on hand that matches all your specs.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2017, 07:04:44 AM »

I don't get this at all.

They bring out a bag they think you'd like. You can buy it or see another. But you can only look at one at a time, so if you move to door #2, the first may be sold before you can say "actually I like the other one better"

Maybe it doesn't apply here, since people seem willing to buy anything if it's a birkin, but good salespeople often know what you want better than you do... Nordstrom's for instance is trained to bring out extra shoes when they get the ones you requested. My sister usually ends up buying both...I almost always get their suggestion, not the one I thought I wanted.  The same with a bag, you may think you want X, but when you describe your needs, they may realize you want Y.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2017, 08:12:56 AM »

I don't get this at all.

According to the article, you do get to describe the kind of bag you want (size, style, sub-brand, color, etc.) but there may not be one on hand that matches all your specs.

Sort of like buying a car from  dealer - no?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2017, 11:05:20 AM »

I don't get this at all.

Except they'll let you compare two different ones at the same time.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2017, 11:53:39 AM »

I don't get this at all.

...and they'll try to push you into a (higher-profit-margin) SUV/pickup, regardless of what you actually need.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2017, 04:51:32 PM »

I don't get this at all.

I'm pretty sure a human is only physically capable of test driving one car at a time.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2017, 07:05:51 PM »

I don't get this at all.

I'm pretty sure a human is only physically capable of test driving one car at a time.
I've had a dealer park 3 cars next to each other and let me compare them all. At Hermes, they would take the previous purse in the back before showing me the next one.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2017, 07:12:12 PM »
I have a friend who purchased an Hermes bag (although not in Paris). The regret and guilt from that purchase was just overwhelming for her. She sold it within a month.