Author Topic: Buy an $1160 cot, get called a shitty parent  (Read 6174 times)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
Buy an $1160 cot, get called a shitty parent
« on: November 07, 2016, 03:30:22 PM »
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/11/03/this_new_smart_crib_will_soothe_your_baby_back_to_sleep_and_get_you_called.html

The Snoo is priced at $1,160. This makes it affordable for those who probably already hire a night nurse for the first month of their child’s life to escape the ill effects of sleep deprivation, and budget-breaking for the rest of us. Still, even those who don’t flinch at the cost will still pay a large price for using the Snoo. Use of the device, like any other act of self-care by a mother, is tantamount to negligence or abuse according to many people’s sky-high standards for parenting.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Buy an $1160 cot, get called a shitty parent
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:22:46 PM »
The bad news:  It's $1160.

The good news: It's only useful for a certain amount of time so if it is popular there will be much lower priced 'used' Snoos available to Mustachian parents in the future!

I imagine the baby would be much more happy with a well rested loving mom & dad the morning after being "snoo'd" to sleep all night.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 08:28:04 PM »
Whatever you do as a parent, there's someone out there waiting to tell you that you're doing a shit job.

Even on this forum, I've seen posts where various parenting choices are likened to child abuse.

On a lighter note, a member of my family spent more than this (by quite a large margin) on a designer / fancy bassinet :-P

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 01:12:41 AM »
I wanted to put a blanket on the floor in an otherwise empty room.  My wife didn't like the idea.

havregryn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 01:20:41 AM »
If this had been available in Europe two months ago, I would now be telling you first hand how it is, Mustachian or not. The baby drove us nuts. Still no one ships to Europe and he is getting older and better at sleeping so I guess no robomom for us this time around, maybe for the next kid.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 02:28:39 AM »
My only opinion on this article is "if it works, sign me up" and that I'd imagine for a lot of people it would be a night nanny OR robo-rocker, rather than all or none.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 05:50:49 AM »
I wanted to put a blanket on the floor in an otherwise empty room.  My wife didn't like the idea.

She has a point due to the risk of entanglement for a newborn.

Probably should be a mat or dog bed instead.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:53:12 AM by TomTX »

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 06:25:13 AM »

True. I like the dog bed idea. They look pretty comfy. I love (really hate) how they have super expensive crib sets yet most everything in the set will probably kill your kid.  Also exciting sheets with movie characters... except a bedroom shouldn't be stimulating, it should be pretty boring (if you want kids to associate it with sleeping).  It's all a conspiracy to drive sleep-deprived parents even more insane.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 06:34:50 AM »

Just not a comfy dog bed. Babies should sleep on firm surfaces.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 08:01:31 AM »
In one of his Star Talk podcasts, Neil deGrasse Tyson explained that low-level nausea actually manifests as drowsiness before queasiness.  When you rock a baby, you're kinda making them just nauseous enough that they'll get drowsy and fall asleep.  If you tend to get drowsy on plane rides or car rides, it's probably the same effect.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 04:12:35 PM »
In one of his Star Talk podcasts, Neil deGrasse Tyson explained that low-level nausea actually manifests as drowsiness before queasiness.  When you rock a baby, you're kinda making them just nauseous enough that they'll get drowsy and fall asleep.  If you tend to get drowsy on plane rides or car rides, it's probably the same effect.

WOW - I never thought of it that way but I think you're (he is) right!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 01:41:47 AM »

Don't tell anyone, but my special snowflake sometimes sleeps like this during the day. It does look odd, but no ill effects so far.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 02:44:56 AM »
I seriously need to get into the business of selling shit like this to parents of newborns.

Could retire in a year tugging on the heartstrings of mums and dads who are too tired to make a rational decision.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 02:48:35 AM »
I seriously need to get into the business of selling shit like this to parents of newborns.

Could retire in a year tugging on the heartstrings preying on the sanity of mums and dads who are too tired to make a rational decision.
fixed that for you! :P (give me 6 months and I'll be your target audience. Please have it ready by then.)

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 05:42:36 AM »
I wish I had a dollar for every hour our son spent, strapped in a car seat, fast asleep, on top of an empty, running clothes dryer.  Would of been enough to buy a robotic crib.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 07:53:54 AM »
Dryer didn't even need to be empty - I'm sure you were able to get your laundry done that way.

My philosophy is pretty simple. If the baby is alive at the end of the day (barring circumstances out of your control), that day was a success.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 08:21:24 AM »

Don't tell anyone, but my special snowflake sometimes sleeps like this during the day. It does look odd, but no ill effects so far.

Well we're in the same boat now. My two year-old recently decided she'd sleep on the floor, and has been for the past week or two. Night and nap. I love it. 

It reminds me of how babies will tear open Christmas presents then play with the wrapping/bows/ribbons/boxes for hours.  And then when I suggest we just get our baby some wrapped boxes for Christmas people look at me like I'm a monster.

I'll stop now before I start a rant on kids birthday party madness.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 11:10:41 AM »

I do the floor for naps too; usually in the living room. I put a solid blanket down for warmth of course.

The older kid I rocked to sleep regularly in my arms. I also sang the same song, repeatedly. Its so ingrained in her subconscious its still working to put her to sleep at three; it calms and relaxes her (I can count on being requested to sing a song, I feel bad that she thinks my singing is good though). I'm pretty sure she'll have a long term association of the song. It was brutal at first but I'm reaping the rewards for my effort now, sometimes the trade off is worth it.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »

Well we're in the same boat now. My two year-old recently decided she'd sleep on the floor, and has been for the past week or two. Night and nap. I love it. 

It reminds me of how babies will tear open Christmas presents then play with the wrapping/bows/ribbons/boxes for hours.  And then when I suggest we just get our baby some wrapped boxes for Christmas people look at me like I'm a monster.

I'll stop now before I start a rant on kids birthday party madness.

Ah c'mon. A rant is always welcome here! ;)