Author Topic: Buy a Kindle in Installments  (Read 9281 times)

Dr. A

• Stubble
Buy a Kindle in Installments
« on: March 31, 2014, 01:25:42 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=gw_c1_inst_e_h?ie=UTF8&docId=1002339241&nav_sdd=aps&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=09R3S5C0KCSKKTJQYSEN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1769206602&pf_rd_i=507846

At least they aren't charging interest.

Now, if I were going to buy an e-reader, I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to keep my little green employees working for a couple extra months, but I suspect I'm not the target audience.

So, here's some advice... If you can't come up with $70 for a Kindle, you can't afford to buy books. Go to the frickin' library.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
Re: Buy a Kindle in Installments
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 01:52:47 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=gw_c1_inst_e_h?ie=UTF8&docId=1002339241&nav_sdd=aps&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=09R3S5C0KCSKKTJQYSEN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1769206602&pf_rd_i=507846

At least they aren't charging interest.

Now, if I were going to buy an e-reader, I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to keep my little green employees working for a couple extra months, but I suspect I'm not the target audience.

So, here's some advice... If you can't come up with $70 for a Kindle, you can't afford to buy books. Go to the frickin' library.

I got my kindle from the Pawnshop. They have piles and piles of them. I picked up an older model one there for like $20.

And actually, a kindle is an awesome way to get free books. I can downloand ebooks right from the library website, and amazon has thousands of authors offering free books, trying to get there name out there. Kindles are actually very thrifty little devices if you use them right.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »
I wonder if this is Amazon testing out what kind of sales increase they can get by reducing the advertised price ($13) to something comically low. The average person probably still thinks ereaders are expensive.

Amazon doesn't really care if they make money on the device. They want you buying books. And movies/music etc if you have the Fire.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Amazon made the base Kindle free or like $9.99, but made you buy at least X books per month for a year.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 07:41:50 PM »
I agree that buying this moderately priced luxury "on time" is kind of nuts, but the Kindle is the most wonderful new thing I've had in the last decade.  I'm on my second one, having worn out my first (2nd generation) model after hours and hours and hours of use.  I LOVE everything about it:  It's great for travel, wonderful that you can have literally hundreds of books in your hand, convenient that you can look up a word with a touch.  I LOVE my Kindle.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »
It's alarming for me to contemplate the financial situation of someone who would find this kind of deal necessary.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 08:21:08 PM »
I agree on the issue of buying on installment, but I also adore my Kindle.  I read fast, and I used to fly a lot.  The Kindle was so convenient to take on the plane with me, rather than a stack of books.  My husband loads his Kindle with books and when he goes out on the submarine, he has more than enough reading material to last him for months, while taking up less space than a single paperback.

We've also been actively trying to reduce our "stuff."  As avid readers, we had 10- 7 foot tall bookshelves  packed with books, many shelves double stacked.  We now buy most books on Kindle only (or borrow them), and have dramatically reduced our hard-copy books.  Only very well loved books, or those unsuited to the digital format, make it onto the bookshelves.   

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 06:02:53 AM »
We've also been actively trying to reduce our "stuff."  As avid readers, we had 10- 7 foot tall bookshelves  packed with books, many shelves double stacked. 
Yes, I've never in my life had enough book shelves, and my husband at one point expressed serious concern about the need to shore up the foundation of the house in certain points because of the number of books we owned.  Books are so easy to find at used prices that it's hard NOT to let them pile up! 

First we started dumping most of our fiction books.  Most of them I don't re-read, and if I do want to read it again, it's very easy to find them at the library. 
Then we dumped the few college textbooks we still had, admitting to ourselves that they're really no longer useful.
As our kids grew up, we selectively ditched kids' books, though we saved enough books that our future grandchildren can enjoy having books that their mothers loved as children. 
We kept reference books that we actually use -- cookbooks, gardening books, etc. 
We kept books with sentimental value.

But nothing helped like getting the Kindle.  We're not bringing new books into the house at the same pace. 

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 06:48:16 AM »
I'll clarify by saying, I have a nook and love it. I love that e-books are way more efficient paper and ink, and I was psyched last week when I finally found a library book* worth reading on it. I was just flabbergasted by the idea of needing "5 easy payments" to buy one.

*Last Child in the Woods which, while I am sympathetic to the thesis is kind of a mess as a piece of writing. I am only half-way through, but thus far am disappointed. I feel like I'm losing track of the point multiple times in each chapter.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 08:43:22 AM »
Agree with those who think it's weird to pay installments on such a cheap thing. I have an old Kindle (black and white, no frills) and use it quite a bit, but with some reservations. 1. I read super-fast, and my thumbs get tired from having to turn the page so fast all the time. I really prefer two pages in front of me, like in a hardcopy book, but oh well. I call my repetitive strain issues "Kindle Thumb." 2. I like to read in the bathtub. So I buy paperbacks for tub reading. 3. I do book reviews for Historical Novels Review (not plugging anything…just saying) and find it is easier to flip around and refer back to the book if it is in hardcopy. I do review books sent to me in egalley format--the trick is to take really copious notes while reading it on the Kindle--which is do-able, but kind of a pain. 4. When we down-sized, I set myself a limit of 12 boxes of books and no more to be moved to our new, little house. We have two 72" bookshelves in the kitchen, and books have to fit on them or else they have to go. I find I do a constant, ongoing editing and culling  on those shelves, but it keeps the "keepers" accessible, and gets rid of the "once is enough" books.

Amanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »
For bathtub reading I just slip my Kindle into a ziploc bag. Waterproof and light!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 02:25:22 PM »
my thumbs get tired from having to turn the page
Not mocking, your post just made me laugh out loud because it's so similar to my private joke.  After a hard day at work when everyone starts complaining how tired they are, I like to join in by saying "my button-pushing finger is exhausted".  Such a first-world problem!  :)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »
Amanda--I've always been afraid I'd drop the Kindle into the bathwater and the watertight ziploc bag or whatever would leak. It's just me…and I've never dropped a book into the bathwater in my life, and probably wouldn't drop the Kindle, either.

BlueHouse--Yes, whinywhinywhine-whine. How can I possibly do any productive activities with these achy thumbs? Guess I better just go read some more books.  lol  And you had better, too. You don't want to over-stress that button-pushing finger!

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 10:32:26 PM »
my first kindle (keyboard) died after a single raindrop hit it and got to the side of the screen before I could dry it off.   It took me 2 days to pick up a paperwhite.  I find that I can read faster on the kindle as it's easy to increase the font size and then speed read things.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 07:43:57 PM »
I love my Nook too, and it has saved me a lot of money.  I get nearly all my books from the library, without driving across town to do so anymore.  (Not a bike-friendly destination, here.)  For the few I just can't get from the library, I used my "awards points" from work on a Barnes & Noble gift card -- so they're still free to me.  :-)

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 09:03:03 PM »
Agree with those who think it's weird to pay installments on such a cheap thing. I have an old Kindle (black and white, no frills) and use it quite a bit, but with some reservations. 1. I read super-fast, and my thumbs get tired from having to turn the page so fast all the time.

Back in the day we called that "Nintendo thumb".

I love my Kindle (old school black and white here too, high five), but I agree pushing the button on the side can get kind of tedious after a while. I've also used my Kindle so much I think the button is starting to wear out. Sometimes I have to press it twice or extra hard to get it to turn the page.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 10:48:28 AM »
For bathtub reading I just slip my Kindle into a ziploc bag. Waterproof and light!

This works great for the beach too! :) I have an e-ink Kindle 3 (the one with the keyboard) and a first gen Kindle Fire. I'm using the Fire more and more and the K3 less and less. I do *love* that I can "check out" library books for free and have them zipped right over to the Kindle. How cool is that???

I have been sooooo tempted by the Kindle Fire HDX, but I think a face-punch has finally convinced me that it's dumb to replace a working device (let alone *two* working devices). So I will use the Fire until it dies on me, then we'll see. In the meantime, I have the K3 for book-only backup.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 04:16:13 AM »
I've bought lots of things on a 0%.    We needed a washing machine when we bought our house so we did a 0%.    We were pretty tapped after making a huge down payment and I really didn't want to spend the next year at a laundry mat with a baby and a toddler. 

If you're buying a lot of things you don't need and you buy something on a low interest rate you might have a problem.   To me though, I think they're a good idea for the consumer and the company.    A deal like this might be targeting a population that can't afford a new kindle outright.    Say a college student or an older person on a fixed income.   But they can buy it slowly and maybe afford a book or two a month in addition to the free ones.    That's good for everyone.

mnsaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 07:22:25 PM »
another good use would be if you have a credit card where you need to spend a certain amount every month to get a bonus. I have Discover and if I spend 500 per month Oct to Feb I get an extra 100 cash back. Oct and Nov were easy (I bought a couch that was a custom order for half up front and half on delivery), this month in order to hit the 500 I bought several restaurant gift cards where you go a bonus gift card w/purchase. I not quite sure how I'll hit the 500 for Jan and Feb.

Imustacheyouaquestion

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »

Amazon doesn't really care if they make money on the device. They want you buying books. And movies/music etc if you have the Fire.

Bingo. They can break even or lose money on the hardware, as long as it helps lock you into an ecosystem where you keep buying apps and e-content. Amazon has to lose money shipping big/heavy items through Prime, but they plan to make up for it with sales volume.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 01:50:49 PM »
and my thumbs get tired from having to turn the page so fast all the time.

That's funny.  Do you have your font set to the smallest size? It helps with page turning so frequently. I like that about the kindle.

My issue is on the new kindle (the touchscreen) I have to MOVE my thumb to turn the page. It drives me crazy. And it makes it hard for me to get a comfortable reading position where I can hold the kindle (with one hand), and still turn the page without dropping it. DH has an old kindle keyboard, and you hold the kindle at the same place you turn the page. So there is no movement, and it is SO much easier to turn the page.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 03:08:34 PM »
Buying it in instalments sounds weird, but the gadget itself is great.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 05:49:06 PM »
Love my kindle. Use it in the bathtub all the time. I also use my smartphone to check MMM. For all you know, I'm taking a bath right now (though I hate typing lengthy replies on it, so you need not worry unless it's an extremely short reply).

I love that I can bring many dozens of books with me wherever I go. I am worried that something is "lost" though. I think kids learn better if they have a physical book they can read over and over, flip through it quickly, etc. I've noticed my son seems to retain information better if he read it in a physical book.

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 11:45:10 AM »
and my thumbs get tired from having to turn the page so fast all the time.

That's funny.  Do you have your font set to the smallest size? It helps with page turning so frequently. I like that about the kindle.

My issue is on the new kindle (the touchscreen) I have to MOVE my thumb to turn the page. It drives me crazy. And it makes it hard for me to get a comfortable reading position where I can hold the kindle (with one hand), and still turn the page without dropping it. DH has an old kindle keyboard, and you hold the kindle at the same place you turn the page. So there is no movement, and it is SO much easier to turn the page.

I have a kindle fire and I can just touch the right side of the screen to make the page turn. Try that.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 12:24:45 PM »
I don't have a fire- but does the fire not have a border? Or do you actually hold the screen? I can't hold the screen of my kindle, because that would cause me to have my thumb over some of the words.

Since I need to hold the border of the kindle, which means I have to move my thumb to touch the screen. (Touching the border doesn't change the page.)

The old kindle keyboard used to have buttons on the border, which meant you held on the button, and then just depressed it to make the page turn. No lateral movement.

Since the kindle cost $49, it's a minor issue. But I like the old design better.