Author Topic: But how many just pre-ordered the iPhone 6 and Watch?  (Read 13614 times)

CPA CB

• Stubble
But how many just pre-ordered the iPhone 6 and Watch?
« on: September 10, 2014, 12:02:53 PM »
Words can't describe this -

According to the Canadian Payroll Association - over FIFTY percent of Canadians would be SIGNIFICANTLY impacted if their paycheque were delayed... ONE WEEK.

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/09/10/more-canadian-workers-are-living-paycheque-to-paycheque-saving-less-survey/

It's no wonder - they must be factoring in the newly ordered iPhone 6 (at $750+ in Canada) and iWatch ($350?) plus additional debt repayment, mortgages, student lines of credit, VISA statements, etc.

Amazing how bad things are here north of the border.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
Re: But how many just pre-ordered the iPhone 6 and Watch?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 12:50:20 PM »
I was having a little chat on my friend's fb wall about the new watch, and I asked her if she knew how much it's going to cost (base model starts at $350). One of her other friends chimed in to say "Since it doesn't come out until January, there's time to save!!!!"

If you need 4 months to save up $350, maybe you shouldn't be spending it on a watch.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 02:24:49 PM »
there's a thread on reddit about canadians being in financial trouble.   I posted about emergency funds, budgets, automated savings and making choices about expenses and I'm getting just hammered down with the down votes.   Apparently my reality of living within my means can't be applied elsewhere.   

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 09:24:41 PM »
I am having such a hard time with the Apple Watch myself right now. On one hand, I know it's a bit ridiculous. On the other, I'm a developer who loves Apple and fitness, so I reeeeeeeally want to develop for it...but that would mean I go buy one for testing purposes at the least >.< Thank god I have a few months to work through this little conundrum.

Definitely not 'cheap' though.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 09:28:58 PM »
I was having a little chat on my friend's fb wall about the new watch, and I asked her if she knew how much it's going to cost (base model starts at $350). One of her other friends chimed in to say "Since it doesn't come out until January, there's time to save!!!!"

If you need 4 months to save up $350, maybe you shouldn't be spending it on a watch.

Sadly though, I highly doubt that anyone that needs to save p for this, is someone that actually needs to save.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 12:46:29 AM »
there's a thread on reddit about canadians being in financial trouble.   I posted about emergency funds, budgets, automated savings and making choices about expenses and I'm getting just hammered down with the down votes.   Apparently my reality of living within my means can't be applied elsewhere.

/r/frugal_jerk would probably be one of the more sympathetic places, for better or for worse.

Sadly though, I highly doubt that anyone that needs to save up for this, is someone that actually needs to save.

While I could swing the $350 to start with it, I'd rather save a little bit each month specifically for it. I suppose for monthly "why am I saving for this, exactly?" Ignoring the fact that I'd also need an iPhone for this and that I'd only get the iPhone/iWatch combo if it meant that more men want to sleep with me than with Jony Ive.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:37:22 PM »
Lady on the news described the iWatch as "one of this season's must-have items."  "Must-have"?!  You must have an iWatch?  Funny how that word has shifted from meaning "obligatory" to...?  Wait a minute, I think some people think these things actually are obligatory!  :(

workathomedad

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 12:55:49 PM »
FYI You can't pre-order the iPhone until tomorrow. The iWatch won't be available until 2015.

I hate to admit it, but I do want an iPhone 6. I honestly think the iWatch looks like and would only serve as a stupid gimmick. Already get the same SPAM e-mail to my computer, iPhone, iPad... and now iWatch? Really stupid. Now I feel stupid for having so many things...

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 03:03:29 PM »
From my Inbox:

$0 down for the all-new HTC Desire® 610!
Get a new smartphone — $10/mo. for 20 mos.* with AT&T NextSM
•   Feel the beat with dual front-facing speakers
•   Transform photos and videos into movies with HTC Zoe™
•   Be up-to-date in an instant with HTC BlinkFeed™

zOmg, $0 down? What a deal.

Dive! Dive!

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 04:28:18 PM »
I'm the opposite actually.  I could care less about an iphone but a good looking watch which does a ton of things and has a long battery life I'd be interested in.   I have my doubts that the iwatch is going to meet the battery life requirement for me.  It would likely be sitting on the shelf dead most of the time.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 04:33:51 PM »
I'm the opposite actually.  I could care less about an iphone but a good looking watch which does a ton of things and has a long battery life I'd be interested in.   I have my doubts that the iwatch is going to meet the battery life requirement for me.  It would likely be sitting on the shelf dead most of the time.

Except you HAVE to have an iphone 6 or the watch doesn't work.
that’s a lot of circuitry to fit in a smartwatch. More likely the iWatch will be tethered to a smartphone.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2013/07/24/iwatch-apples-next-big-thing/

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »
I will just put this here in regaurds to anything Apple...

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »

Except you HAVE to have an iphone 6 or the watch doesn't work.

Actually, it is built to work with iPhone 5 and later (only reason I would ever consider it, since I have an iPhone 5).

From what I have seen, it does have the power to run basic apps, but it all of it's connectivity runs through the phone that it's tethered to. Same for location services and the like.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 05:59:54 PM »
heh why would you need a smart watch if you have a smart phone already?  I don't haul my tablet everywhere with me so I figured maybe a watch, that can tell me the weather, collect data like distance traveled, the temperature, ... would be interesting for my data geek self  but if it's just a secondary screen for a phone then it's pretty useless to me.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 06:05:42 PM »

Yeah--wooo!--you are reallllly unreasonable with that "crazy" living beneath your means mythology. Sheesh.

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 06:22:05 AM »
heh why would you need a smart watch if you have a smart phone already?  I don't haul my tablet everywhere with me so I figured maybe a watch, that can tell me the weather, collect data like distance traveled, the temperature, ... would be interesting for my data geek self  but if it's just a secondary screen for a phone then it's pretty useless to me.

Yea, from the looks of it most of the power is in the phone it's tethered to. However, I am a huge fan of the fact that they put a heart rate monitor in. I was actually looking for a tool for heart rate tracking recently and could not find anything that I would actually wear on a consistent basis. Most of the existing tech is ugly, bulky, and does nothing else of use to me.  I actually think that makes the Apple Watch a much more legitimate tool for personal physical improvement than things like the Fitbit, which are basically sexy pedometers.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 10:35:30 AM »
For the broke Apple Fanboys that just got to have it at any price:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-announces-exclusive-new-rate-plan-for-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-and-a-revolutionary-new-way-to-acquire-iphone.htm?previousArticle=11560&nextArticle=2513&gotoArt=%2Fnews-releases%2Fsprint-announces-exclusive-new-rate-plan-for-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-and-a-revolutionary-new-way-to-acquire-iphone.htm

(Sorry for the shitty link)

In addition, Sprint introduced the iPhone for Life Plan, the most economical way to get any new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus. iPhone 6 is only $20 per month for 24 months for a 16GB model, and iPhone 6 Plus is only $25 per month for 24 months for a 16GB model – there are no out-of-pocket costs and the plan guarantees a new device every two years. At the end of 24 months, customers in good standing can upgrade, purchase the leased phone or continue leasing on a month-to-month basis.

Leasing, it's not just for sub-prime auto sales pumping anymore.

Note that they don't say exactly what you're on the hook for at the end of those 2 years if you want to keep the phone. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 03:00:34 PM »

It's hard to care about people whinging how much the iphone apparently sucks when it sells more pre-orders than many competing flagship devices sell throughout their entire lifecycle. Are the phones a good value if you're looking for a cheap option? Probably not. Are they fine machines? Yeah. Do you need one? Probably not, very few of us need a smartphone. Are you going to buy one? You might not.

Editing to add some thoughts after the keynote presentation that I wrote elsewhere.

As wifi calling gains popularity (read: iphone 6 announcement), we might see more people switching to lower-cost plans by offloading most of their browsing and calling to wifi.

Just kidding, verizon will happily have people offload to wifi while still charging the same amount.

But I do see more adoption for the likes of Ting - if I get an iphone in a year or three, I'd happily use them with wifi offloading as it would mean I have to pay for very little data or voice or texts. I'm also excited to see if Republic Wireless can integrate the new iphone. If it's iOS doing the offloading, and not a bunch of special hacks that RW has to do, it might be much more plug-and-play and easier to support. I'm sure they're being hammered by requests right now.

The apple watch is interesting - great device, way too expensive for me; I have a very nice $60 watch I bought for myself as a entering-the-real-world gift. But their 24k gold version is very clearly intended for China - they love status over there, which means they love gold and they love apple. The gold-colored iphone is made for that market; a real gold watch even more so, I think.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:05:28 PM by gimp »

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 04:52:32 PM »

As wifi calling gains popularity (read: iphone 6 announcement), we might see more people switching to lower-cost plans by offloading most of their browsing and calling to wifi.

This is actually exactly what I am doing at the moment. I'm on PTel's pay-as-you-go plan with an iPhone, and I use less than $5 a month by combining the apple Messages and FaceTime applications (with other iPhone users) and Google Hangouts/Voice (with non-iPhone users). It's actually pretty brilliant, and gives me a lot of options to handle my calls through my headset and computer at work as well.

CPA CB

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 04:18:38 AM »
So I've done some digging into the Apple Watch for us all.

http://gnli.christianpost.com/video/apple-watch-features-amp-trailer-hd-first-look-33925

As far as I can tell - the Apple watch is truly revolutionary.

The first look trailer only really shows the watch telling time in different novel ways, so this can't possibly be the revolutionary part. However, it does show the watch magically fastening itself through some sort of new technology, Magnets?

In addition, the watch seems to be able to float and rotate at will in mid-air.

Actually in fairness - someone thought this through. I can envision Steve Jobs ten years ago saying "How much would someone pay, for something that allows them to covertly message friends throughout the day, while watching TV and playing games?"

Thanks to this website - I can safely say that I feel like I'm in a parallel universe where I sit and watch people needlessly blow money on senseless things (like having 2 screens on your person at all times). I just hope I see the tri-fecta of someone using an iPad, while sending messages on their iPhone, and doing something on their iWatch at the same time... If that isn't a facepunch moment, not sure what is.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 01:10:14 PM »
Just when you thought Canadians were any less consumerist (?), considering MMM is Canadian... i think he shed a tear.

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/09/19/apple-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-hit-stores/

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 03:10:51 PM »
Why would you think that? The culture difference on average between the US and Canada is less than the culture difference between Austin, Texas and an hour away from Austin, Texas.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 04:08:54 PM »
I've never owned an iAnything, and have no desire for in iPhone, iWatch, iLove Doll (finally, you can make love to Siri, fan boys- ya' gotta get this thing!), or whatever overpriced iStuff Apple is pushing this week.

Yet I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.  There must be something wrong with me.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 05:16:53 PM »
I think today should be labeled as Antimustachian Day.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 05:21:42 PM »
As a few others have stated, I think it all starts with your savings rate.

IMHO, if you're saving more than 40% and you've projected that you're on your way to meeting your goals, buy yourself a freakin' iPhone 6 already, if that's what you want!

And yes, I am buying one. I will eat chili out of a can. I will ride my bike seven miles on harrowing streets to meet an ex-colleague for lunch. And yes, I will buy myself an iPhone 6. I use it all the time. It is my research, note taking, education, and music entertainment pal. No, I don't use it much to talk on the phone. Or to text.

It is among my very few indulgences.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 05:27:06 PM »

IMHO, if you're saving more than 40% and you've projected that you're on your way to meeting your goals, buy yourself a freakin' iPhone 6 already, if that's what you want!

And yes, I am buying one. I will eat chili out of a can. I will ride my bike seven miles on harrowing streets to meet an ex-colleague for lunch. And yes, I will buy myself an iPhone 6. I use it all the time. It is my research, note taking, education, and music entertainment pal. No, I don't use it much to talk on the phone. Or to text.

You can't do that stuff on an iPhone 5 or (God Forbid) an "ancient" 3-year old iPhone 4?

Or even...dare I suggest it...a less expensive non-Apple product?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 05:35:46 PM »

You can't do that stuff on an iPhone 5 or (God Forbid) an "ancient" 3-year old iPhone 4?

Or even...dare I suggest it...a less expensive non-Apple product?

Of course not! Don't you know that only the Apple logo on the most current generation of devices imparts a mystical power upon your inner spirit that protects you from creating really half-baked excuses for paying for a small $650+ convenience machine that comes pre-loaded with U2's latest album? Without it, you're just another clod who's overdependent upon technology in your day to day life. ;)

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 07:06:22 PM »
Hmmm ... I have no idea what an iphone watch is, and I'm not even curious enough to google.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2014, 09:05:47 AM »
Nah, same here... and I've been working in Tech for over 10yrs! :)

I've never owned an iAnything, and have no desire for in iPhone, iWatch, iLove Doll (finally, you can make love to Siri, fan boys- ya' gotta get this thing!), or whatever overpriced iStuff Apple is pushing this week.

Yet I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.  There must be something wrong with me.

domustachesgrowinhouston

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 01:53:19 PM »
Do people still wear watches?  I just check my phone when i want to know what time it is?

larmando

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 02:06:48 AM »

Choices, indeed. It's great that everyone can make their own. I save a lot more than 40%, and I'd never eat chili out of a can. Or almost anything out of a can, that doesn't require preparation. I will cook my own meals, invite friends when I can, and go to a restaurant when they ask me, because hey, it's not the end of the world if it happens once every three weeks or so. As for iThings, well, they don't improve my life as much, so I'd gladly avoid them.

One interesting thing I noticed is that as a kid I was favoring "durable" versus "consumable" (e.g. toys over food). I didn't want to have something I could "go through" and would "finish", and I wanted to hold on to things "forever". Of course the value of durable toys and objects fades, as you grow up.

As an adult I value "experience" (including food, travel, etc) over objects, and in a sense experience is the ultimate consumable (and most often it's not an object at all), but on the other hand it's what remains with you most (imho), you don't need space to store it, you don't risk losing it, breaking it, having it stolen, etc.

That puts me in the interesting position of not wanting any consumer electronics, as they're the worst of both worlds. They are a very durable object, but they become useless pretty fast, as you are pressured to upgrade to the latest and greatest, and they just sit there to take dust and become quickly worse.

I would have perhaps enjoyed the iPhone for a while if I had one. And maybe the iPhone2, 3, 4, 5, 6 plus some of the ones with letters in between. And at the end of it having had all of them makes you spend a huge amount over the years. Skipping some is better, but then if I can skip one, I can also skip all! :) :)

That said, again, it's just my personal opinion, and to each his own. I just felt like sharing it.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 05:28:14 AM »
Eaton Center = Toronto, otherwise known as "The Center of the Universe", and "the city everyone else in Canada loves to hate".

Of course, Torontonians are used to being made fun of - first they called out the army for 2" of snow, and then they elected Rob Ford.

As you can see, Toronto-bashing comes just after Hockey Night in Canada on the list of things Canadians love.

Just when you thought Canadians were any less consumerist (?), considering MMM is Canadian... i think he shed a tear.

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/09/19/apple-iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-hit-stores/

Tai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 09:42:19 AM »
I'm no fan of Rob Ford but he is a really cheap guy, and a lot of people admire that about him, just saying. He'd be pretty comfortable on this forum.

I was living in Scarborough at the time of that storm. I understand the reason Mel Lastman called in the army was because emergency vehicles couldn't get anywhere. The city was impassable, and oddly enough there aren't a lot of snowmobiles around Toronto.

I own no apple products, and don't intend to buy any. My kid has an ipod that she bought with her own money, and frugally uses free Wi-Fi if she's out.

I agree with you that people outside of Toronto love to make fun of the big city, but consider that most people in Toronto came from somewhere else originally. The Toronto bashing is sort of weird.

RapmasterD

• Pencil Stache
But how many just pre-ordered the iPhone 6 and Watch?
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 08:06:44 PM »

Choices, indeed. It's great that everyone can make their own. I save a lot more than 40%, and I'd never eat chili out of a can. Or almost anything out of a can, that doesn't require preparation. I will cook my own meals, invite friends when I can, and go to a restaurant when they ask me, because hey, it's not the end of the world if it happens once every three weeks or so. As for iThings, well, they don't improve my life as much, so I'd gladly avoid them.

One interesting thing I noticed is that as a kid I was favoring "durable" versus "consumable" (e.g. toys over food). I didn't want to have something I could "go through" and would "finish", and I wanted to hold on to things "forever". Of course the value of durable toys and objects fades, as you grow up.

As an adult I value "experience" (including food, travel, etc) over objects, and in a sense experience is the ultimate consumable (and most often it's not an object at all), but on the other hand it's what remains with you most (imho), you don't need space to store it, you don't risk losing it, breaking it, having it stolen, etc.

That puts me in the interesting position of not wanting any consumer electronics, as they're the worst of both worlds. They are a very durable object, but they become useless pretty fast, as you are pressured to upgrade to the latest and greatest, and they just sit there to take dust and become quickly worse.

I would have perhaps enjoyed the iPhone for a while if I had one. And maybe the iPhone2, 3, 4, 5, 6 plus some of the ones with letters in between. And at the end of it having had all of them makes you spend a huge amount over the years. Skipping some is better, but then if I can skip one, I can also skip all! :) :)

That said, again, it's just my personal opinion, and to each his own. I just felt like sharing it.

I love the experience of eating chili out of a can.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:08:17 PM by RapmasterD »

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 11:34:52 AM »
Do people still wear watches?  I just check my phone when i want to know what time it is?

Yes. I've been a watch-wearer since I was a kid, and to this day, always have at least one functioning watch that I wear most days.
Looking at the phone for time isn't convenient to me because the phone isn't always next to me, whereas I only need to raise my arm to look at my watch. I suppose it's easier for me to just look at the computer clock, since I do spend a large chunk of my day in front of one, but wearing a watch has just become one of those things that's ingrained...

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 03:31:24 PM »
I have an iPad which was a gift from a family member and it's decent enough for surfing the web and using apps for banking, Netflix, email, etc.  Honestly, though, it's not really anything I would purchase with my own money.  It can't do anything that I can't already do on my laptop computer and it can't even do Flash.  I don't get why people drop so much money on these things.  The iPad I have retailed for $600 brand new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2014, 10:23:50 PM »

Not only do they not wear watches, but I was talking to a colleague the other day who got woken up at 4:30am on Sunday to go to work when daylight savings kicked in in an area of the country we don't live in - she had her phone set to auto-update daylight savings but had it set to the wrong time zone.

She had to use her computer to check the current time because that was the only other time source in her house, she doesn't own a clock, or any other dedicated timepiece. All of her time-keeping devices are multi-taskers (computer, phone, GPS etc.).

Sblak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2014, 02:37:27 PM »
I use a four year old smartphone (with unlimited data on Verizon) and am happy with it because I don't care and would rather save money.  I prefer to use desktop at home and laptop when out of the house.  We are very Mustachian.  My wife and I have gone from almost $100,000 in debt (mostly student loans and one car) to almost $200,000 in assets (retirement, other saving, equity in a home) in the last 7 years.  We did that because we live on about $30,000 including our mortgage.  I make much more than that.  My wife doesn't work outside the home, but takes care of our kids.

If someone's hair is on fire, they shouldn't buy/use a new iPhone.  Sell it and pay off debt first, start saving.  However, I agree with RapmasterD that the iPhone is quite an amazing device and can be worth it.  My wife, with carpools and activities for our kids, ends up being out of the house regularly.  She recently bought the iPhone 6+ and I would argue it is not a foolish purchase.  She did it in the right way.  She sold her old iPhone 5 for $300 in cash a month before the new iPhone 6 came out (used an old phone for a month to bridge) and used that money to upgrade to the new iPhone 6 for almost no extra out of pocket expense. (We are on Verizon, so have the upgrade subsidized every two years, and the monthly contract is paid by the in-laws, who while mostly Mustachian, don't agree about phone service.  They won't switch.)  The total cost to us to upgrade her phone every 2 years is about $50. 

She keeps it in her purse.  It has a better battery than almost everything out there, and takes amazing pictures.  Truly amazing.  And the display is beautiful.  Its OS is incredibly fast.  For those things alone it would be worth it.  If you have never used an iPhone 6 and don't know how others are using it, you cannot judge its value to someone else.  While I don't want or use it, my wife uses it as her do everything computer.  Why should we not upgrade her phone to a new iPhone every two years?  I realize that we could keep using her old phone and upgrade to the new iPhone the day it comes out and sell it on eBay for more than full price.  But that is not necessary.  I tried to think of a reason against it in our circumstances and could not.  If you can truly afford it, and will use it, why not? 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:43:28 PM by Sblak »