Author Topic: BURN YOUR MONEY!!  (Read 9988 times)

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
BURN YOUR MONEY!!
« on: January 15, 2017, 03:30:15 AM »
My local buy and sell page is full of antimustachian antics, but when i saw this ad, i knew I had to investigate a little further (you know, for scientific forum posting reasons). 

Lady posts an ad that goes like this..

"Anyone looking to get on board with an amazing company where you get to set your own hours for as little as $29.99???
This is not some pyramid scheme as this is a Canadian based company right out of Chilliwack B.C!!!
The company is called ice n fire and we have been rated number two in Canada (calculation error) should been rated number one ;)
We sell candles, melts, aromatherapy soaps, oils, burners and now the awesome bath bombs!!!
Everything has a ring valued anywhere from $25 - $5000!!!
If this interested you or you have any questions please pm me any time"

Right, so many things, where to even start..  First, I don't "get on board" with a company by sending them money, ever.  Also, a local location doesn't make something not a pyramid scheme.  Nice try.  Also, you are rated #1 by who and for what?  Great, candles, totally seems legit now.  I know where this is going... or so i thought.  Wait, rings?  what the fuck?  I'm going to go look this up. 

So i did, and here it is - the company makes cheap, high markup items like candles, STARTING at $29.99 each, but they each have a ring inside them.  So when you burn a candle you reveal a ring, "valued at between $25-$5000" according to the company.  So i looked up what some of these rings are, and even the ones i could find "valued" at $120 and $200 are only gold-plated or sterling at best and have fake diamonds on them.  (In my book, these known as rings worth $10 or less).  And I'll bet the ones "worth $5000" are really only worth $300-$400 max, and are of course almost impossible to get.   

So there you go, anyone else want to burn $30 and get a shiny, worthless gold-plated ring to help make the pain of the endless need to consume subside for a few fleeting seconds... until you realize the ring doesn't quite fit? 

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
Re: BURN YOUR MONEY!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 05:26:17 AM »
Ugh!

Also:

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 11:54:08 AM »
This whole idea really reminds me of those Kinder Surprise eggs, but for adults and you don't even get to eat some chocolate before you inevitably lose or throw away the toy

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 12:14:58 PM »
This is a really bizarre, stinky lottery system.  I wonder what the EV is compared to regular lotteries?

And I know some people who would go for this.  :(

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 08:56:43 AM »
Yes, there is a lot of entertainment in my local Facebook buy and sell page.  I think we must have reached peak saturation in the Shakeology market because we had a lot of people attempting to dump inventory last year. 

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 07:17:28 PM »
This whole idea really reminds me of those Kinder Surprise eggs, but for adults and you don't even get to eat some chocolate before you inevitably lose or throw away the toy

I'm part of a deals group on facebook, and sometimes the "deals" on jewelry make me realize just how insane the markup must be.   

Hmmmm,  maybe I could make my own business from this..since kinder surprise eggs are banned in the US, maybe a wine bottle with a jewelry trinket at the bottom, cereal box style?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »

I'm part of a deals group on facebook, and sometimes the "deals" on jewelry make me realize just how insane the markup must be.   

Hmmmm,  maybe I could make my own business from this..since kinder surprise eggs are banned in the US, maybe a wine bottle with a jewelry trinket at the bottom, cereal box style?

Smash the bottle, get a prize?

ginastarke

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 07:31:38 PM »
Drink all the wine in one session to get to the shiny.  Who cares if it's  "Two Buck Chuck?"

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 07:34:29 PM »
Drink all the wine in one session to get to the shiny.  Who cares if it's  "Two Buck Chuck?"

You don't drink wine all in one session? Doesn't it go bad if you open it?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 07:48:09 PM »

I rarely have more than one glass. I freeze what's leftover and use it for cooking.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 07:53:05 AM »

I fucking love Kinder eggs. I remember going to the import house downtown as a kid to buy them. They kept them under the counter, and only sold them to people they knew. It was like being a secret agent.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 04:14:37 PM »

I have relatives in the wine industry.  I horrify them.  I like my red wine cold, so it goes in the fridge.  Thanks to my completely tone-deaf palette I really don't like $20 or $100 a bottle stuff any better than two buck chuck.  With a wine stopper in the fridge it still tastes the same to me after a week.

I am however a beer snob.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 09:02:21 AM »
My state recently changed the law to allow wine to be sold in grocery stores. Man did the price of wine plummet! Pretty decent wine can be had on the cheap finally. I don't need anything more than table wine honestly. I can't taste the difference either. Its all usually good.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 09:03:31 AM »

With a wine stopper in the fridge it still tastes the same to me after a week.

My mother may have had a problem...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 10:35:11 AM »

Reminds me of college, we used to play a game called Slap Bag, where we would buy a box of Franzia, take it out of the box and pass it around. You had to talk dirty to the bag, then slap it as hard as you can, and drink (the harder you slapped the less you had to drink) and then pass it to the next person until it was fully consumed. The final person got the honor of keeping the cap. A good friend of mine wanted to "win" so badly he ran off with it and jugged it while being chased by me and other people. He managed to win, but was a mess the rest of the night.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 12:01:17 PM »

Reminds me of college, we used to play a game called Slap Bag, where we would buy a box of Franzia, take it out of the box and pass it around. You had to talk dirty to the bag, then slap it as hard as you can, and drink (the harder you slapped the less you had to drink) and then pass it to the next person until it was fully consumed. The final person got the honor of keeping the cap. A good friend of mine wanted to "win" so badly he ran off with it and jugged it while being chased by me and other people. He managed to win, but was a mess the rest of the night.

Was the point to try to burst the bag?  That sounds messy.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 11:30:02 AM »

Was the point to try to burst the bag?  That sounds messy.

Those bags were fairly sturdy, there wasn't a single burst bag in my years in college. Nor do I recall anyone spilling any of the wine...which is a minor miracle in itself. I kinda miss the game, though not as much as quarters or beer pong.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 01:17:32 AM »

I was taught (at university but not in class) that wine with a stopper in is an explosion hazard: yeast, pressure, glass. Too risky. Much better to finish the wine.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 01:26:12 AM »

I was taught (at university but not in class) that wine with a stopper in is an explosion hazard: yeast, pressure, glass. Too risky. Much better to finish the wine.

My goodness. I never considered it would be unsafe to recap wine. They should print this information on the bottle!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 10:18:31 AM »
My goodness. I never considered it would be unsafe to recap wine. They should print this information on the bottle!

They write it on the inside - you can only see it when the bottle is empty.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »
Strangely, my reading comprehension seems to decrease markedly with an empty bottle of wine...

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 01:37:51 AM »
Strangely, my reading comprehension seems to decrease markedly with an empty bottle of wine...

You'll just have to believe me then.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 09:16:55 PM »
Looks like someone from my Facebook buy/sell group has been buying (or got as a gift) these candles, they just posted this ad

"2 rings for sale, $20 for both. Non stamped (jewelry in candles)"

Even if they get $20 for them, they are still out $47.18.  Yikes. Thats a lot for 2 candles. 

mrmoolaman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 02:24:24 AM »
Chilliwack, BC!

This is about as close to home as I've ever seen on the forum!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 04:12:17 AM »

You'll just have to believe me then.
Trust, but verify. I'm buying two bottles tonight to find the truth.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 09:15:31 AM »
Spin your money away on your desk?
I love what happens on this site when we complain about expensive useless things on the Wall of Shame and Comedy.  I just clicked on MMM's advertisement for Made-In-Canada Spinning tops.  $34 to $195 per top!  They were advertised at the bottom of this thread.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 09:38:40 AM »
I love what happens on this site when we complain about expensive useless things on the Wall of Shame and Comedy.  I just clicked on MMM's advertisement for Made-In-Canada Spinning tops.  $34 to $195 per top!  They were advertised at the bottom of this thread.

You're not supposed to *click* the ads. They're just to monetize the blog for passive income.

We've had some very odd and anti-Mustachian ads for high-end vehicles and overpriced clothing stores. The one for a store we refer to as Needless Markup attracted some attention and mockery.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 09:49:39 AM »

You're not supposed to *click* the ads. They're just to monetize the blog for passive income.

We've had some very odd and anti-Mustachian ads for high-end vehicles and overpriced clothing stores. The one for a store we refer to as Needless Markup attracted some attention and mockery.

But, they're spinning tops!  They spin for minutes!  Is it monetized based on viewership instead of click-through? 

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »

But, they're spinning tops!  They spin for minutes!  Is it monetized based on viewership instead of click-through?
You should probably click. MMM has a kid, and a brand new car and brand new house , and yearly trips to Ecuador to pay for!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 11:32:04 AM »
I've basically taught myself to tune out most of the ads on sites, and i had to check to see if there really was an ad on this page, because i didn't remember seeing ads here before.  Sure enough there was, and it was a gem.  (for Royal Bank of Canada) "Are you ready to imagine the possibilities of a 30 year retirement?"  hahaha.  Not with your 2.xx% fund fees i'm not.  I'll go imagine somewhere else.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 03:21:25 PM »

You'd have to ask him.

WGH

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 03:29:59 PM »

Whenever anyone tells me how much their jewelry is "worth" I tell them to go try and sell it and report back.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 01:33:47 AM »
Whenever anyone tells me how much their jewelry is "worth" I tell them to go try and sell it and report back.

Engagement rings. Fucking engagement rings. The number of people I hear saying that their ring is worth what it was bought for PLUS APPRECIATION. And this is their back up plan to pay off the credit card. Luckily they are too attached to sell it and aren't they worth a $Xk ring anyway?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 01:35:35 AM »
Engagement rings. Fucking engagement rings. The number of people I hear saying that their ring is worth what it was bought for PLUS APPRECIATION. And this is their back up plan to pay off the credit card. Luckily they are too attached to sell it and aren't they worth a $Xk ring anyway?

Wait, what? People think jewelry appreciates? I'd never heard this!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 07:19:23 AM »

The sales person at the store told them. Price of gold, finite supply of diamonds, it was something like that. Maybe this is localised but they all went to the same store? There's someone at Tiffany's London that's discovered the best sales line and is milking it all the way to the bank?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 12:16:43 PM »

The sales person at the store told them. Price of gold, finite supply of diamonds, it was something like that. Maybe this is localised but they all went to the same store? There's someone at Tiffany's London that's discovered the best sales line and is milking it all the way to the bank?

It's probably somewhat true for a quality, limited edition piece from Tiffany's or something like that, and over a fairly long time frame.  Like, a nice piece of jewelry with a good name is going to sell for more at some point when it becomes vintage or antique or whatever.  What the store won't tell you is that to double your money, you might be looking at like 40-100 years.  And the average engagment ring from a non-collectable brand strore is unlikely to ever be worth more than the retail price in even your grandkids lifetime.  So yeah, new jewelry is a shitty investment.  (Already collectable vintage jewelry can be a great thing to pick up at garage sales, and can be a very good short term investment.) 

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
I was in a jewelry store in my younger days, and someone came in with an engagement ring WITH a certificate of authenticity and valuation, hoping to sell it.  She was quite taken aback to hear that, best case, she might get a third of what the certificate said.  I suspect that would be even lower now, since there is an internet and competition, though I suppose one can reach a larger audience of potential suckers, um, ring purchasers now, so you might get lucky. . . 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2017, 05:28:45 PM »
Seems like everyone on Facebook is trying to sell jewelry right now, must be a good time right before Valentine's Day.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!