Author Topic: Bullshit Christmas Gifts  (Read 12749 times)

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
Bullshit Christmas Gifts
« on: December 17, 2017, 02:48:45 PM »
Buy a star.  Starting at 50 fucking dollars.

https://www.star-registration.com/ca/order

A family member of mine, who makes minimum wage, bought this for my niece. 

I'll bet Williams-Sonoma wishes they thought up this one.

If people start justifying this bullshit, I may not come back to the thread.  lol

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Bullshit Christmas Gifts
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 02:57:55 PM »

If people start justifying this bullshit, I may not come back to the thread.  lol

A friend of mine bought me a Scottish title for a birthday. One of those ones where you buy a square foot of land on an estate somewhere and get to use the title, the tartan etc. Best present ever, I love the whimsy of it. Also a fantastic idea for the estate to make some money and keep itself running in this day and age. Granted, my friend is not on minimum wage, and it's exactly the sort of thing I love - not "stuff", delightfully whimsical, and has a higher purpose in keeping a heritage estate alive and well.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 03:06:56 PM »
Is there anyone out there who finds this shit contrary to the spirit of MMM?

Bueller?

I mean, I know it's not 2012 anymore, but anyone?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 03:07:25 PM »
If someone is intent on becoming $50 poorer on my behalf, please buy me naming rights to a star before you consider buying me $50 worth of plastic bullshit from China that will just clutter up my house.

Of course, I would much prefer that you send $50 to the mustachian giving challenge instead.  That's money well spent, in the here and now, on making a measurable difference in the world.  You can put my name on it, if it needs to be a gift in order to convince you to be a better person.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 03:09:46 PM »
@ Sol: Thank you.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 03:10:39 PM »
It actually comes in a gift box, so while it's not something you would necessarily display, there is waste.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 03:39:05 PM »
The idea is nice, but it is literally bullshit. No scientist will ever know the star by that name. If you know someone into astronomy, it can be done for reals.

https://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/questions/question7

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 03:50:01 PM »
The idea is nice, but it is literally bullshit. No scientist will ever know the star by that name. If you know someone into astronomy, it can be done for reals.

https://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/questions/question7

Can you imagine trying to enforce that some star is your own?

Like SOL said, there are far better ways to spend your money.  His idea is a far nicer one. 

ETA:  Thanks for the link to the Star Child website.  I'll make sure my niece knows about it.  It looks pretty cool.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:52:24 PM by BPA »

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 07:16:53 PM »
I'd rather have this gift than some knick knack that will clutter up my home.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 07:38:30 PM »

Okay.  But somebody deserved a facepunch for buying it.  It's a waste of fucking money.  A. Waste. Of. Fucking. Money.

My god.  You take a year and a half break from the forums and nobody gets it anymore.

Do none of you people read the blog? 

I'm going to go find a thread from the early days of this forum to show you all what it can be like.  <skips off to find a thread from 2012 when people actually weren't so soft and understood the spirit of the blog>

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 07:57:33 PM »
While I was off looking for a thread to give the flavour of what the forum used to be like (when it was like the blog and people weren't trying to make excuses for consumer sukka spending), it occurred to me that in many ways the Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy has become ironic. 

I had considered backing off a bit until a friend mentioned that people needed to hear how ridiculously things have strayed.  Wasteful spending is wasteful spending no matter who is doing the spending. 

What must Pete think when he reads this stuff?

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/antimustachian-christmas/

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 08:49:03 PM »

A friend of mine bought me a Scottish title for a birthday. One of those ones where you buy a square foot of land on an estate somewhere and get to use the title, the tartan etc. Best present ever, I love the whimsy of it. Also a fantastic idea for the estate to make some money and keep itself running in this day and age. Granted, my friend is not on minimum wage, and it's exactly the sort of thing I love - not "stuff", delightfully whimsical, and has a higher purpose in keeping a heritage estate alive and well.

Wait - so you are saying you have your stuff spread across multiple countries? Oh my gosh! What a waste!

(j/k!)

Money spent so wear that title out! Make sure you make obnoxious people (and people who appreciate a good laugh) use that title when they address you. Answer the phone that way too!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 08:52:27 PM by Just Joe »

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 09:17:57 PM »
I think now I'd rather have the Scottish title than the star.

sieben

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 10:01:08 PM »
While I was off looking for a thread to give the flavour of what the forum used to be like (when it was like the blog and people weren't trying to make excuses for consumer sukka spending), it occurred to me that in many ways the Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy has become ironic. 

I had considered backing off a bit until a friend mentioned that people needed to hear how ridiculously things have strayed.  Wasteful spending is wasteful spending no matter who is doing the spending. 

What must Pete think when he reads this stuff?

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/antimustachian-christmas/

Please stick around, I kind of like when you yell at people :)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 05:02:06 AM »

Okay.  But somebody deserved a facepunch for buying it.  It's a waste of fucking money.  A. Waste. Of. Fucking. Money.

My god.  You take a year and a half break from the forums and nobody gets it anymore.

Do none of you people read the blog? 

I'm going to go find a thread from the early days of this forum to show you all what it can be like.  <skips off to find a thread from 2012 when people actually weren't so soft and understood the spirit of the blog>

I think the star thing is a waste of money. I think the title is a clever way of generating money for a heritage site, and therefore money well spent. I also like the Oxfam gifts for the same reason. One could argue they're a waste of money, of course, but I'd much rather someone not mustachian give that on my behalf than buy me junk.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 08:57:46 AM »
On the spirit of BS Christmas gifts I had my first experience shopping at Bath and Body works last weekend. 

Long story short bought my moms some items that she'll love, but spent $35 USD.  It felt horrible.  Walmart probably has a similar off brand product for $15 USD.  Lost two or three hours worth of pay, just how much happier would she have been if I cleaned her house for 2 or 3 hours?  Hope she likes this gift.

Omg you're a good son, i can't go in there its scent overload.

While i wouldn't be sad about receiving monthly cheese, for $45/lb i would have impossible expectations for the taste of this cheese. Line how good can it really be? $5/lb cheese at traders Joe's is already delicious and i really like cheese, it's my main grocery store splurge even then is rarely spend morr than 5/lb.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »
Getting harder to shop. We all have everything we need.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 09:12:20 AM »
I guess giving a bridge just doesn't cut it any more...

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 09:23:29 AM »

Yep--these gifts are things people give to those who already have everything.  I think.  Who knows?  Totally agree that they are ridiculous expenditures.  The money would be so much more useful if it went to a food bank...

Perhaps these businesses are being run by mustachians, who are now raking in the $$??

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 10:24:28 AM »

Yep--these gifts are things people give to those who already have everything.  I think.  Who knows?  Totally agree that they are ridiculous expenditures.  The money would be so much more useful if it went to a food bank...

Perhaps these businesses are being run by mustachians, who are now raking in the $$??

I love the idea that some MMMer was like "what's the most pointless thing i can get someone to buy? A star!"

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 10:38:59 AM »

I love the idea that some MMMer was like "what's the most pointless thing i can get someone to buy? A star!"

Isn't this a "registry", i.e. a book? And don't they just resell the same stars next year? So really, it's more like renting. :)

LPG

• Stubble
    • 1000x Faster Blog
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »

OMG! Are you a Lord/Lady/Laird of Glen Coe? I got my square foot and title back in 2012, and have never found another person who had done it before. I have to say, I've gotten FAR more than $50 worth of enjoyment out of that purchase. I've even visited mine, and put a Lego castle on it :-) If you're the traveling type, I'd highly recommend visiting the area some day. It's in a gorgeous part of Scotland, Stuart (The guy working the visitor center) is a charming gentleman, and you get to feel good because you've contributed to something valuable.

(Of course, traveling to Scotland costs way more than $50 and isn't exactly a Mustachian thing to do)

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2017, 01:20:33 PM »
  Wasteful spending is wasteful spending no matter who is doing the spending. 

What's wasteful to one person might not be to another. It's all a matter of perspective.

I know a married couple who thought college was a waste of money. They never went for even one semester. One earns 70K the other around 200K. They laugh at people who waste money on college.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2017, 01:42:04 PM »
I did homemade zipper pouches with a $10 gc to a locally owned coffee shop for each teacher gift this year. My kid said proudly that his gift was the only one that was homemade, the other gifts were store bought junk. :D
Bonus, the coffee shop owners are donating a percentage of sales to the preschool where my little one goes.
I got the bus driver a gc to the grocery store. The preschool teachers got bottles of wine in a homemade fabric wine tote, because those teachers deserve a drink! (I volunteer there and those women are saints.)

No one else gets gifts from us because we all have what we need & most of what we could ever want.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 02:58:13 PM »

OMG! Are you a Lord/Lady/Laird of Glen Coe? I got my square foot and title back in 2012, and have never found another person who had done it before. I have to say, I've gotten FAR more than $50 worth of enjoyment out of that purchase. I've even visited mine, and put a Lego castle on it :-) If you're the traveling type, I'd highly recommend visiting the area some day. It's in a gorgeous part of Scotland, Stuart (The guy working the visitor center) is a charming gentleman, and you get to feel good because you've contributed to something valuable.

(Of course, traveling to Scotland costs way more than $50 and isn't exactly a Mustachian thing to do)

I'm Lady of Chaol Ghleann. Dunans Castle is the estate that's being restored with money raised. Very cute idea. I agree, I've gotten far more enjoyment out of this funny wee scheme than I would have thought possible!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »
  Wasteful spending is wasteful spending no matter who is doing the spending. 

What's wasteful to one person might not be to another. It's all a matter of perspective.

I know a married couple who thought college was a waste of money. They never went for even one semester. One earns 70K the other around 200K. They laugh at people who waste money on college.

Just curious - what did they do for a living?

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2017, 07:33:39 AM »

Thank you for proving my point.  What do you think the perspective of MMM would be about spending $50 on literally nothing?

It used to be on these forums that if people couldn't figure out what to spend money on they would...wait for it...drumroll please...NOT SPEND MONEY! In fact, people would find ways not to spend money.  What a mind-blowing concept!

I read another thread where people said that the forum was getting soft and the recommendation was to recognize people who had joined in the last few months as not getting it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who joined in the last few months who get it.  They probably have read and understood the blog though.

I hope at some point in time, you get it, because it's clear you have no idea what the "perspective" of the blog is.  I recommend reading it some time in order to understand it.   Particularly focus on the perspective of not being a "consumer sucka" because currently your perspective is pro-consumer sucka.

Unbelievable. 

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2017, 08:20:59 AM »
My great-aunt was the worst for this -- she was on a very limited fixed income, but she was lonely, and so she filled that hole by spending ridiculous amounts of money on "as seen on TV" plastic crap, which she would then happily wrap and box up and send up to us for Christmas.  Probably the biggest hit was the toast press:  you make toast, and then you press this thing into it and it makes a smiley face pattern -- that one generated paroxyms of laughter (tbh, that one might have been worth the $2.95 or whatever she spent on it just for that laugh).  It just made me sad, though, because every year, she'd ship these big boxes of stuff, and every year, we'd put it directly into the Goodwill pile. 

I do have to say, though, my favorite of all time from her was the first few years after DH and I married:  one year, she gave him one of those candle mobiles, where the heat from the candle makes the mobile spin, with angels and trumpets and such; the next year, she gave him a full nativity set.  DH is Jewish. 

Then again, as he said, "well, she knew I didn't have one."  :-)

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »
My great-aunt was the worst for this -- she was on a very limited fixed income, but she was lonely, and so she filled that hole by spending ridiculous amounts of money on "as seen on TV" plastic crap, which she would then happily wrap and box up and send up to us for Christmas.  Probably the biggest hit was the toast press:  you make toast, and then you press this thing into it and it makes a smiley face pattern -- that one generated paroxyms of laughter (tbh, that one might have been worth the $2.95 or whatever she spent on it just for that laugh).  It just made me sad, though, because every year, she'd ship these big boxes of stuff, and every year, we'd put it directly into the Goodwill pile. 

I do have to say, though, my favorite of all time from her was the first few years after DH and I married:  one year, she gave him one of those candle mobiles, where the heat from the candle makes the mobile spin, with angels and trumpets and such; the next year, she gave him a full nativity set.  DH is Jewish. 

Then again, as he said, "well, she knew I didn't have one."  :-)

lol That is kind of funny, but also sad.  I wish it was more acceptable to just say, "Hey. We don't need or particularly want anything.  Let's not exchange gifts."  That's what we do in my family for the most part, but I do buy for my son. 

Really, if we can't think of what to get someone because they have everything, why do we keep spending?  Contributing to charity would be far more productive and compassionate.

On the spirit of BS Christmas gifts I had my first experience shopping at Bath and Body works last weekend. 

Long story short bought my moms some items that she'll love, but spent $35 USD.  It felt horrible.  Walmart probably has a similar off brand product for $15 USD.  Lost two or three hours worth of pay, just how much happier would she have been if I cleaned her house for 2 or 3 hours?  Hope she likes this gift. 

I hear you.  My mom is frugal, but she wants the surprise.  So, when I offered to pay the increase in her rent so that she could afford air conditioning in her apartment for the summer months, it was no surprise that she turned me down.  She's in her seventies and her apartment doesn't have a cross-breeze.  She also has told us that she wants presents, but not clothes, Royal Doulton figurines, prints, kitchen appliances or gadgets, anything for her apartment, or gift cards.  She also doesn't want anything practical.  And she mocked me for getting her a new robe one Christmas.  "You already got me one!"  That had been seven years before.

It's why I've been advocating for no presents at Christmas.  It's caught on with all of my siblings and my boyfriend. 

It's amazing how less stressful life is when you don't have to worry about unwanted present buying or receiving. 

I hope your mom likes what you got her.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 09:21:36 AM »
lol That is kind of funny, but also sad.  I wish it was more acceptable to just say, "Hey. We don't need or particularly want anything.  Let's not exchange gifts."  That's what we do in my family for the most part, but I do buy for my son. 

Really, if we can't think of what to get someone because they have everything, why do we keep spending?  Contributing to charity would be far more productive and compassionate.

Oh, yeah, it was funny -- we looked forward to the gift box every year, and the little circling angels had us all rolling.  But, yeah, also sad.  That part of the family just defined love via stuff -- whether it was giving multiple crappy little gifts, or pushing someone to eat four helpings, it was all about the quantity. 

Luckily, that's also the part of the family my mom rebelled against.  So she gives us 529 contributions and we give her a contribution to a charity she strongly supports.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 09:27:24 AM »
I'd rather buy a potentially habitable planet within 12 light years or so, so I can will it to my great great great grandchildren to move to once this one is no longer habitable. I bet I could buy it for pretty cheap, since there is no practical way to get there right now. But it might be really valuable down the road.

My niece wanted an ecologically aware gift/donation in her name, so from the rainforest trust for $25 was able to "buy" 2.5 acres of rain forest.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:32:05 AM by partgypsy »

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2017, 09:44:21 AM »

Thank you for proving my point.  What do you think the perspective of MMM would be about spending $50 on literally nothing?

It used to be on these forums that if people couldn't figure out what to spend money on they would...wait for it...drumroll please...NOT SPEND MONEY! In fact, people would find ways not to spend money.  What a mind-blowing concept!

I read another thread where people said that the forum was getting soft and the recommendation was to recognize people who had joined in the last few months as not getting it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who joined in the last few months who get it.  They probably have read and understood the blog though.

I hope at some point in time, you get it, because it's clear you have no idea what the "perspective" of the blog is.  I recommend reading it some time in order to understand it.   Particularly focus on the perspective of not being a "consumer sucka" because currently your perspective is pro-consumer sucka.

Unbelievable.
+1. Some of these noobs get offended when called out on their spending. Stupid purchases should be logged in the "FacePunch Me" thread. Seeing the lack of recent activity there means MMMers have either gone hardcore or so soft that they're embarrassed to post.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 10:04:04 AM »

Unbelievable.
+1. Some of these noobs get offended when called out on their spending. Stupid purchases should be logged in the "FacePunch Me" thread. Seeing the lack of recent activity there means MMMers have either gone hardcore or so soft that they're embarrassed to post.

I did notice when I was searching for a comparable post from 2012 that several people who were active posters then aren't now.  I know that part of my own hiatus was irritation at people not bothering to read the blog who would ask for advice and dispute that advice with excuses.  I get that we all have our own level of frugality, but to honestly think that spending $50 on literally nothing is okay because of a pedantic comment like "It's all a matter of perspective" is ludicrous. I'm well aware of the spendthrift perspective.   It's the complete antithesis of the perspective of the blog. 

I wondered if those posters from 2012 had all left for a different forum and how could I join?  lol

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 03:03:05 PM »

Unbelievable.

I did notice when I was searching for a comparable post from 2012 that several people who were active posters then aren't now.  I know that part of my own hiatus was irritation at people not bothering to read the blog who would ask for advice and dispute that advice with excuses.  I get that we all have our own level of frugality, but to honestly think that spending $50 on literally nothing is okay because of a pedantic comment like "It's all a matter of perspective" is ludicrous. I'm well aware of the spendthrift perspective.   It's the complete antithesis of the perspective of the blog. 

I wondered if those posters from 2012 had all left for a different forum and how could I join?  lol

If people take anything away from this blog, it's a positive, isn't it? People here are at different stages of learning, and different stages of implementation. We all also have different priorities in life. A little understanding and support, and some constructive criticism for others would get you further than your current strategy. My guess is that this is exactly what MMM understands.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 09:42:13 PM »
I've been thinking about this thread. Gotta admit it bothers me, because well, I've got a story.

When I was 13, I had an older brother who was 18. A good, normal, kind of inattentive teenage dude. One day he was driving us around, and we got into a terrible, no good, very bad car accident. The anchor to his seatbelt failed when we rolled over, and he died on top of me as EMS tried to get our smashed car open. My last memory is of him alive is the surreal way the gaps between each of his teeth were perfectly limned in blood as he screamed.

Fast forward many years later, and the daily lives of my family scattered. My parents in on the west coast, me wandering the northern hemisphere, and my sister in Nevada. I heard this story about people could buy and name stars. So I bought one, and named it after my brother. I got a certificate for each of us, along with a plate from a star map and a timetable of the stars rising and setting. Now, no matter where each of us is physically residing, we can look at the same star and remember that what is 4 used to be 5.

That's my story. Maybe it's reductio ad absurdum to extrapolate from my story that the worth pinned to individual purchase actually are a matter of perspective. But I don't think so.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 10:09:06 PM »
I've been thinking about this thread. Gotta admit it bothers me, because well, I've got a story.

When I was 13, I had an older brother who was 18. A good, normal, kind of inattentive teenage dude. One day he was driving us around, and we got into a terrible, no good, very bad car accident. The anchor to his seatbelt failed when we rolled over, and he died on top of me as EMS tried to get our smashed car open. My last memory is of him alive is the surreal way the gaps between each of his teeth were perfectly limned in blood as he screamed.

Fast forward many years later, and the daily lives of my family scattered. My parents in on the west coast, me wandering the northern hemisphere, and my sister in Nevada. I heard this story about people could buy and name stars. So I bought one, and named it after my brother. I got a certificate for each of us, along with a plate from a star map and a timetable of the stars rising and setting. Now, no matter where each of us is physically residing, we can look at the same star and remember that what is 4 used to be 5.

That's my story. Maybe it's reductio ad absurdum to extrapolate from my story that the worth pinned to individual purchase actually are a matter of perspective. But I don't think so.

That's sweet.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 11:35:05 PM »

Unbelievable.

If people take anything away from this blog, it's a positive, isn't it? People here are at different stages of learning, and different stages of implementation. We all also have different priorities in life. A little understanding and support, and some constructive criticism for others would get you further than your current strategy. My guess is that this is exactly what MMM understands.

Lady Whatever...doesn't matter because it's not real anyway. 

MOD NOTE: Don't be rude.

You deserve a facepunch.  And you obviously understand little about MMM if you think he thinks "whimsy" is a good reason for spending money.  I recommend that you check out the blog...particularly the post about how you shouldn't buy stuff if it makes life more convenient simply for the convenience.  If he doesn't support buying for convenience, he sure as hell doesn't support "whimsy."

You don't get it.

I've been trying to ignore your drivel on this thread.  I don't care what you and other spendypants excuse makers think, so spare me your "you should be nicer" lecture.  This whole part of the forum is for mocking people who don't get it.  That is the point.  If you or others feel mocked, well, maybe YOU should reevaluate your stance.

MOD NOTE: It is for poking fun at our consumerist society. Not for being rude to fellow forum members.

So, from now I will not respond to you because your opinion matters not one iota to me.  Post whatever you please. 

MOD NOTE: Please read the forum rules.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 08:25:15 PM by arebelspy »

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 11:42:42 PM »

Sorry about your brother.  I can understand that must be painful and I didn't mean to trigger you.

However, you probably do understand that the vast majority of people, including the one I mentioned earlier in the first post, are not buying it for that reason.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2017, 01:31:19 AM »

Sorry about your brother.  I can understand that must be painful and I didn't mean to trigger you.

However, you probably do understand that the vast majority of people, including the one I mentioned earlier in the first post, are not buying it for that reason.

My post was certainly hyperbolic, but I'm not triggered. My brother died. It was sad. Life goes on. Everyone's got a sob story about something; this one just happened to be mine.

My point was that I do see perspective as important. The guy you referenced in your first post definitely should not be buying stars, but he shouldn't be buying other frivolous things either, because he can't afford it. Not because the purchase of something non-corporeal is inherently an invariably stupid.

Besides, if we really are going to treat this as the One True Church of The Revealed Blog of Pete, well, meh. Dude built a pay-for-play hobby shop. The blog has evolved. The forum has evolved. Perspective is in. Facepunching is out. The current forum is what I prefer, but maybe it will evolve again. Perhaps your return will influence it towards a voice you like better. Dunno.

I do know that choosing the AMWSC to vent my spleen over the existence of the AMWSC wasn't so smart. I'll fix the problem by bowing out. Your thread, your voice. As long as no one loses an eye.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2017, 02:50:02 AM »
I actually was thinking that as a memorial, the star is a really good bargain.  Frankly, it is a really nice idea in the way you've used it. It is not a good bargain in the way I presented it in the initial post. 

I was coming back to post such when I read that you were using hyperbole relating to your brother's death in an attempt to shame me because you claim that facepunching is out and don't like my posting style. If the forum has changed to the degree you say it has, then perhaps you should petition to get rid of the Antimustachian Wall of Shame and Comedy.  Honestly, I wouldn't post in a thread that you or any of the others started about buying a star, or any other damn thing that I thought was unmustachian.  I would simply breeze right by a journal or case study if I thought that those people would not want my input.

I did not start this thread to pick on you or anyone else.  I guess in a sense you acknowledged that in your paragraph until the very last passive aggressive sentence.  So, I guess you could say that between the hyperbolic use of someone's death to guilt someone else and passive aggression, I'm not fond of your posting style either.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 02:55:43 AM by BPA »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2017, 07:16:02 AM »
Can we all cool it?

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2017, 07:38:23 AM »
...until the very last passive aggressive sentence.

I'm sorry for being confusing. I meant that last sentence as a wry acknowledgement that purchasing stars doesn't have any larger scheme importance. The tone clearly didn't follow. Sometimes I think I'm clever, when I'm actually not.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2017, 11:28:54 AM »
Tennessee Squire Association.  For a small fee you can own a square inch of land on the Jack Daniels Estate. You can even get a certificate!

It started in 1956, I wonder how long the idea of selling spots on a registry has existed? From what I can tell about BPA's link, his star company was actually affiliated with a private companies registry. The family member gave $50 to a private company, I can only imagine that other countries run similar registries selling the exact same stars.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2017, 03:24:28 PM »

Unbelievable.

You deserve a facepunch.  And you obviously understand little about MMM if you think he thinks "whimsy" is a good reason for spending money.  I recommend that you check out the blog...particularly the post about how you shouldn't buy stuff if it makes life more convenient simply for the convenience.  If he doesn't support buying for convenience, he sure as hell doesn't support "whimsy."

You don't get it.

I've been trying to ignore your drivel on this thread.  I don't care what you and other spendypants excuse makers think, so spare me your "you should be nicer" lecture.  This whole part of the forum is for mocking people who don't get it.  That is the point.  If you or others feel mocked, well, maybe YOU should reevaluate your stance.

So, from now I will not respond to you because your opinion matters not one iota to me.  Post whatever you please.

Jerk.

MOD NOTE: Being rude back in return doesn't help anything.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 08:26:06 PM by arebelspy »

JLE1990

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2017, 06:06:38 PM »
Can we all cool it?

Well I think the point BPA is trying to make is that we shouldn't cool it. Whether she's right or wrong, a fundamental part of the forum is to allow people to be as brutally honest as they would like. One thing I don't think is discussed nearly enough on here is the massive shift that has to take place mentally and emotionally to become mustachian. In order for that to be successful every part of you has to be scrutinized. The subconscious is really sneaky and if you aren't brutally honest and analytical with yourself(or the person you're facepunching) it will find away to sneak around to try and keep you from changing or becoming uncomfortable. While it's a survival instinct it just means you stay living paycheck to paycheck.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2017, 06:56:51 AM »

Unbelievable.

You don't get it.

Jerk.
Stop with the name calling.
If you didn't know, a facepunch (figurative) is a required part of the process to grow your mustache (figurative, too!). You see your mistakes, call yourself out, shame yourself, promise to never do stupid stuff again.
Calling someone a jerk just shows you're here for social purposes, not a financial makeover.
If Anna is growing a mustache, did she facepunch herself along the way?

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2017, 06:59:57 AM »
[MOD NOTE: Locking until we decide what's going on here]

(Other) Mod Jumping in later: Some edits made, some warnings issued. Leaving thread locked, don't see a need for it to continue.

Please feel free to poke fun at ridiculous practices. That doesn't mean you should be rude, especially to each other, while you do so.

Cheers!

(On a personal note, while I agree with MMM that convenience is not a great way to spend your money as a rule, some exceptions aside, whimsy seems like a great way to spend it, at times. Whimsy seems--to me--to be one of the main points of living. Reasonable Mustachians can disagree on this, I think.)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 08:28:29 PM by arebelspy »