Author Topic: Bonus Withdrawal Puts Bankers in "Malaise"  (Read 5430 times)

ultrarunner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Bonus Withdrawal Puts Bankers in "Malaise"
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:57:20 PM »
Bonus Withdrawal Puts Bankers in "Malaise"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bonus-withdrawal-puts-bankers-malaise-050100338.html

"People who don't have money don't understand the stress," said Alan Dlugash, a partner at accounting firm Marks Paneth & Shron LLP in New York who specializes in financial planning for the wealthy. "Could you imagine what it's like to say I got three kids in private school, I have to think about pulling them out? How do you do that?"

Cry me a river.  :-)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
Re: Bonus Withdrawal Puts Bankers in "Malaise"
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:54:55 AM »
It's so difficult for narcissists to admit they are only human and imperfect after all. However, since narcissists don't feel any empathy for the rest of us, I'm not going to waste my own empathy on them.

Guitarist

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:50:48 AM »
Earlier this month, a friend invited him on a trip to Mardi Gras in New Orleans. The friend was going to be a judge in a wet T-shirt contest, Kullberg said. He turned down the offer.

How nice.

*Explanation of my comment through a joke*

A young southern woman from a poorer family ended up catching the eye of a young man from a wealthy family. They married. The other southern belles of the neighborhood introduced themselves one day and offered to take her around town to show her the ways of the finer life. They went shopping at all the expensive stores, had a fancy lunch in the best restaurant in town, and eventually ended up at a salon.
While waiting for their hair to get done, the other women started talking about their weddings and the gifts they received from their husbands. The first woman said (in a southern accent, all the women, of course) "Well my husband loves me so much, he bought me the most beautiful red sports car with all the options. I drive it around town all the time and everybody just loves it."
The young woman said "Well, how nice."
The second woman said "Well my husband loves me so much, he bought me a beautiful house. With wonderful columns on the front, 7 bedrooms, and a beautiful deck coming from our bedroom."
The young woman said "Well, how nice."
The third woman said "Well my husband loves me so much, he bought me stables for all my horses with 100 acres of land so I can ride them all day if I wanted to."
The young woman said "Well how nice."
So the other woman looked at their new friend and asked, "Well what did your husband get you?"
She told them "My husband loves me so much, he sent me to finishin' school. And they taught me to say 'Well, how nice' instead of 'Fuck you.'"

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:58:53 AM »
That article was ridiculous.

17k for pets, more than some here spend on themselves in a year.  Small bonus on his 350k salary, how tough.

Heh. 

Thanks for the morning amusement, got me smiling.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

upnorth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
Why on earth do people use their real names?  I'd be so embarrassed to admit to those expenses.

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 05:49:16 PM »
Stories like this always make me want to puke.

These people have no concept of saving.

Reido

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 06:19:24 PM »
What drives me crazy is the lack of forethought and lack of perspective!

If I make a lot of money this year, then I can spend all of it because OBVIOUSLY I'll make even more next year.

MMM clearly points out in his articles that the middle class is guilty of this...  but I give them more sympathy since they spend a higher percentage of their income on daily necessities.  When a wealthy individuals poor planning means that they may have to forego the Club Membership - it's hard to have sympathy.

I, myself, have an above average income, but I retain the perspective to realize this and not make foolish lifestyle choices but rather to continue saving money where possible.  I believe thats the real meaning of the term Mustachian.  People like this drive me nuts.

upnorth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 10:47:17 AM »
Maybe I'm too pessimistic by nature, but I never assumed I would have a steady well-paying job.  When I graduated from college, I made sure my expenses never exceeded a wage of $9-10/hr.  That kind of thinking paid off in spades over an almost 20 year career since I banked the excess.  Maybe these people just assume the money will always be there.

menorman

• Stubble
    • Marven's Money Musings
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 10:29:45 AM »
That article was ridiculous.

17k for pets, more than some here spend on themselves in a year.  Small bonus on his 350k salary, how tough.

Heh. 

Thanks for the morning amusement, got me smiling.  :)
I didn't read the article, but I definitely saw this. How does one manage to spend $1500/MONTH on PETS?! Our family hasn't spent that much on our pup in the (nearly) year that we've had her. Since they're obviously too busy working much of the time to pay real attention to them anyway, they might as well rent a pet for when they'll actually spend time w/ them...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 09:31:14 PM »
How does one manage to spend $1500/MONTH on PETS?! ... Since they're obviously too busy working much of the time to pay real attention to them

You answered your own question.  They spend that much on their pets because they don't have the time to spend with the pet, so they have to pay someone else to spend that time with their pet.

Dog sitters, dog walkers, etc. etc.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 08:14:56 PM »
I used to work with a woman who has spent untold dollars on her cat's psychiatrist. I had to keep a straight face when she told me.