Author Topic: Black Friday arrives in the UK  (Read 2838 times)

FIREman2036

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Black Friday arrives in the UK
« on: November 28, 2014, 01:02:17 AM »
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/nov/28/black-friday-sales-police-attend-supermarkets-amid-scuffles

Its only been in the UK for a few years now i think but getting bigger each year. My favourite quotes from the article:

“I got two coffee makers, two tablets, two TVs and a stereo,” he said. “I couldn’t tell you the prices, but I know they’re bargains.”

I don’t even know how much it costs, I don’t know even know if I’m going to buy it. I just wanted something,” she said. “There are lads in there three, four, five tellies. It’s not fair.”

Working jobs you hate to pay for shit you don't need. The American dream i guess. I going to Morocco for December to escape all this idiocy.

NewbieFrugalUK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Black Friday arrives in the UK
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 02:08:24 AM »
It's totally insane. As we don't have Thanksgiving in the UK, why should we have the attendant consumerist bullshit!  I'm having a protest no - spend day!
I must say, MMM has really opened my eyes to the ridiculous nature of the buy buy buy festive season - if I could get family to agree to a no - present rule, I would. As it is, everyone is getting something home made!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
We had Thanksgiving back in early October, but we are also getting deluged with the Black Friday ads (Canadian retailers, not just over the border online shopping).  So silly.  Don't they know everyone waits for the Boxing Day sales, which these days start well before Christmas.  Yup, general insanity rules.

It's totally insane. As we don't have Thanksgiving in the UK, why should we have the attendant consumerist bullshit!  I'm having a protest no - spend day!
I must say, MMM has really opened my eyes to the ridiculous nature of the buy buy buy festive season - if I could get family to agree to a no - present rule, I would. As it is, everyone is getting something home made!

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »
if I could get family to agree to a no - present rule, I would.

Luckily, I did!  With 9 nieces/nephews and me with no kids, I'm bloody thankful for it!  My brother was having a difficult financial year but my sister didn't want to give up the everyone to everyone exchange.  I got my 3 siblings to agree that they had so much shit that they didn't have room for more toys/stuff.  Once that was down, I asked, "What about, if on Christmas Eve everyone brings some homemade food and booze for a potluck thing?  You bring presents for your own children while the adults eat, drink, and be merry?"  There was some hesitation but overall it's worked out.  They're all happy to not spend the money and get more crap they didn't even ask for.  The grandparents are exempt from the rule because they bloody live for getting the grandchildren stuff.  Occasionally one of my brothers transgresses and buys us each some sort of custom/craft brews or liquor wrapped up, but he's getting a handslap this year if he does.  Communal food/booze is way, way, better than a bunch of presents of stuff I don't want or need.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »
In New Zealand we also have zero Thanksgiving tradition, and no sign of it being adopted on the horizon (unlike ,say, Halloween which has been adopted wholesale in the last 15 years).

And even here I heard an ad on the radio yesterday for a Black Friday sale at a national appliance chain. 

Insane

voidmain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 01:08:45 PM »
I have to say as a former UK resident (US citizen) I find the anti-Black Friday mentality sort of hilarious. Not from those on this sub who are genuinely over mindless consumerism, but those who are pissed about the "Americanized greed", only to do the exact same thing on Boxing Day. lol

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!