Author Topic: Black Friday already...  (Read 4822 times)

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Black Friday already...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 02:05:15 PM »
My in-laws live in Akron!  Well, they have their primary house there.  They plan to retire and move back to Mass in 3 years, so of course, they bought their next house this summer already.

Must be something anti-mustachian in the air there.

Bruised_Pepper

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 02:15:53 PM »
He's unemployed and he's not sure what he wants to purchase.  And yet he camps out a week in advance in order to blow through thousands of dollars. 

I hope that we're not the only ones who realize how <EXPLETIVE REMOVED> stupid this is. 

Lans Holman

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 02:23:12 PM »
What an incredibly low value to put on your own time.  Even if you save a couple hundred bucks, how is that possibly worth a whole week of sitting in a best buy parking lot? 
Plus, with the guy who's looking for work, now any prospective employer who googles him is going to see this article and know he's a dumbass. 

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 02:27:02 PM »
Urban camping? 

The whole thing sounds miserable.  Sleep in parking lot for 10 days.  Skip eating delicious food with your family.  Spend $300 on an iPad.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 02:56:48 PM »
For him, it's more of a social event than a shopping event. Last year, he left right before the store opened and shopped online.

Okay, that makes a little more sense.  Not much, but a little more.

footenote

• Pencil Stache
  • MMMing in MN
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
Anybody else up for renting bear costumes and menacing the encampments in the dead of night?

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 06:51:29 PM »
In Beaumont, Calif., Victoria Torres is the veteran Black Friday shopper/camper of a small troop of about 10 people. She's been camping outside the Best Buy for Black Friday sales for five years. "When we need something and we can't afford it, we come out here on Black Friday, because they've got the good deals," she told the station.

Wow.  Somebody introduce her to the internet, stat. Pretty sure Best Buy is the last place i would look to find something affordable. 

Mrs.FamilyFinances

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 12:02:49 AM »
In Beaumont, Calif., Victoria Torres is the veteran Black Friday shopper/camper of a small troop of about 10 people. She's been camping outside the Best Buy for Black Friday sales for five years. "When we need something and we can't afford it, we come out here on Black Friday, because they've got the good deals," she told the station.

Wow.  Somebody introduce her to the internet, stat. Pretty sure Best Buy is the last place i would look to find something affordable.

+1
This jumped out at me too! Perhaps the reason you still don't have your shit together after 5 years is that you keep doing this stupid Black Friday song and dance. I would also argue that Best Buys sells very few " need" items, mostly "want" items.

sunshine

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 04:35:44 AM »
Kind of off the topic but I went with one of my kids to the PS4 release. He had sold his other gaming system and games as soon as he found out ps4 was coming out, saved some more cash and was ready to go. He earned it and it is his money. I told him if he gave me the cash I'd pay with my card and we would share the rewards points since he was going to blow around $500. Even though he is a big strapping 6 ft 4 kid I really didnt want him walking out at midnight with that to a dark parking lot. The last big game release they had people getting jumped for their $60 game. Nuts!

We heard some very interesting conversations between adults and parent and child. I was kind of shaking my head.  Mom, " you know my credit card might not go through.", Kid "it better mom or else!!! ( insert whining)!"     We watched a few people ahead of us have their cards declined. People flat out saying they were going to miss bills to buy it. I'm not sure why these conversations were group convos but everyone heard it. Crazy! This is the closest I have ever came to black Friday shopping. Close enough.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 05:18:16 AM by sunshine »

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 05:15:47 AM »
I know that some people go Black Friday shopping to get deals and then resell the items, so for them it's a business deal.  For everyone else, it's pretty much a huge waste of time and money.

Angelfishtitan

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 09:28:01 AM »
I know that some people go Black Friday shopping to get deals and then resell the items, so for them it's a business deal.  For everyone else, it's pretty much a huge waste of time and money.

This makes some sense to get there early on Friday and grab some cheap electronics to resell. This makes no sense from a $/hr perspective one week in advance since you can't even get more than one deal per person, else someone would just go to Target and buy all their iPads.

The woman talking about camping out since she can't afford it otherwise is nuts. At that point you can't afford to sit around wasting a week in a parking lot to spend money.