Author Topic: Biking season is clearly over  (Read 11391 times)

Donovan

• Stubble
Biking season is clearly over
« on: December 02, 2015, 08:32:33 AM »
I've been on vacation for a little over 2 weeks, and now that I'm back the weather at home has dipped to the freezing point most days. To the people at my office, this clearly means that bike season is over, and they have filled the space in front of the bike rack with boxes, trash bins, and a random blood test machine.  I corrected the placement of some of these this morning :)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
Re: Biking season is clearly over
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 09:52:43 AM »
DERP!
I was in Ohio the 15th-20th and did more biking than ever... it's funny to see the assumptions people make.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 11:10:14 AM »
Winter biking is becoming more popular every year. I remember when I started over 20 years ago, we were just two crazies in Yellowknife. A few years ago, I started to see about a dozen winter bikers on my way to work. This winter, there must be at least 50 people on their bike, daily. Not bad for a small town of 20,000 where it is dark most of the time in winter and temperature can go down below -45 any day between December and March.

KCM5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 11:14:04 AM »
Sure, they have no understanding of when a person can and can't bike. But sweet indoor bike parking!

I'm in Iowa (its no Yellowknife, I'll grant you that - great story ykphil!) and saw 3 people biking in this morning. Not including myself. And it snowed last night.

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 01:29:35 PM »
Yea, we have fantastic bike parking in the basement of the building (when it's not blocked). I'm just sad because at the peak of summer, I never see more than 5 bikes at a time even though there is room for about 3x that. Only me and one other guy show up on a daily basis, but he gets less frequent as it gets colder.  Hopefully they will take the hint and leave at least a little space for me ;)

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 01:52:06 PM »
I wish we had bike parking period! There used to be a place in our office for it, but it got filled in with archive boxes.  Thankfully I'm next to an empty cube where I can park mine, but I don't know how long that will last and I have to find another place.

Got a lot of shocked looks when I showed up for work yesterday when it was 60 degrees and rainy... moreso than when I rode in and it was 25 degrees and dry. I'll take the warmer temps with rain over sub-freezing any day!

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 02:25:40 PM »
you work at Initech??!

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 02:30:41 PM »
Got a lot of shocked looks when I showed up for work yesterday when it was 60 degrees and rainy... moreso than when I rode in and it was 25 degrees and dry. I'll take the warmer temps with rain over sub-freezing any day!

I won't.  I'd prefer dry and 25 F over storming and 60F.  I always had good raingear when I commuted by bike, but the wheels would splash water up on my legs from below as I turned.  I hate wet socks.  And drivers can't see the bike as well in the rain either.

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 02:42:20 PM »
Ohio biker reporting in!

I've started to get drivers honking at me 2-3 times a day on my way home from work.  I'm not sure what they're trying to say, but I imagine it is probably something along the lines of "biking season is over, get out of the road!"

I'm not a big fan of riding after dark, but I light myself and the bike up like it's Christmas!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 03:37:10 PM »
I've started to get drivers honking at me 2-3 times a day on my way home from work.  I'm not sure what they're trying to say, but I imagine it is probably something along the lines of "biking season is over, get out of the road!"

Whenever that happens to me, I honk back with this. I'm not taking that shit.

I probably shouldn't be escalating the situation, but what can I say. I get angry when drivers honk at me for no other reason than "get the hell off the road."

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 09:38:30 PM »

I probably shouldn't be escalating the situation, but what can I say. I get angry when drivers honk at me for no other reason than "get the hell off the road."

Shitfire son! That device is brilliant and I'm excited to know it exists. You're right about escalation, but getting honked at enrages me.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
I'll admit that I stopped biking (about an 8 minute ride) to work because it got cold, but my alternative now is a ~20 minute walk so it's a tradeoff I'm more than willing to make. I listen to podcasts or music, and I stay warmer walking than I do biking, without buying any specific clothing or bike gear to stay riding through the winter.

I'm also not the best about cleaning/maintaining my bike as it is during nicer weather, so not having to deal with it through snow and wet weather also works well for me.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 05:52:58 AM »

A horn is a necessary requirement for driving here....I may need a horn for biking! :)  We'll see what happens with the snow.

EDIT:  I also got asked yesterday if I was going to stop biking soon - you know, because of the rain and cold and it will snow soon! *GASP*
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:55:13 AM by Eric222 »

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 07:29:39 AM »
When I biked in to work Tuesday, my safety vest had frozen over from the freezing drizzle.  Surprisingly no traction issues.  I felt very tough and proud.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 07:43:12 AM »
The cars here have certainly decided biking season is over!  I thought they were bad before, but now it appears that none of the drivers could conceive of the idea of a cyclist on the road! 

Grrrr... Well, okay, I'm not really angry but a car did 'nudge' me today.  A car was slowly passing me (I was in a bike lane), and suddenly hit their breaks and swerved into a parking spot - which had the effect of hitting me with their closed front passenger door (basically side-swiped me).  I bounced off, missed their side mirror, and kept going.  But it scared the crap out of me.  I wasn't even in their blind spot yet!  I'm at a loss for how I could prevent something like that from happening again...

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 09:49:31 AM »
When I biked in to work Tuesday, my safety vest had frozen over from the freezing drizzle.  Surprisingly no traction issues.  I felt very tough and proud.
YOU ARE AWESOME!

The cars here have certainly decided biking season is over!  I thought they were bad before, but now it appears that none of the drivers could conceive of the idea of a cyclist on the road! 

Grrrr... Well, okay, I'm not really angry but a car did 'nudge' me today.  A car was slowly passing me (I was in a bike lane), and suddenly hit their breaks and swerved into a parking spot - which had the effect of hitting me with their closed front passenger door (basically side-swiped me).  I bounced off, missed their side mirror, and kept going.  But it scared the crap out of me.  I wasn't even in their blind spot yet!  I'm at a loss for how I could prevent something like that from happening again...
You cannot prevent this from happening ever BUT you can stop and get their pics/plate# and report a hit and run. Your need for safety will be met when you report stupid ass driving. Good luck!!!!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 12:35:34 PM »

Get some type of camera to protect to yourself as well man. Kill the he said, she said bullshit.

I use a dashcam in my car. :) Thankfully it's never come in handy though I've caught plenty of shitty driving on it.

runnerbee17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 01:12:10 PM »
I rode in today in 26F weather. But it wasn't windy and it was sunny! Heard a kid waiting for the bus say "see mom, I can too ride my bike in December."

I have a huge hill to go down in the morning with lots of driveway crossings. So I usually skip if the ground is super slick, but I'll ride no matter how cold it is, and in the snow. I have to ditch the side trail and get in the road in places I normally wouldn't sometimes, though. City doesn't think they have to clear the trails in a reasonable amount of time.

Scarvey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 09:22:24 PM »
Riding to work tonight a younger guy presumably hold enough to drive as he was standing beside a truck running at -3 C(26F) say "Wrong Season..." trailed off as I rode past. It was warm enough I didn't even need my long johns or sweater!! This is my first winter riding and -22C (-8F) has been the coldest so far and not quite a blizzard but enough snow to have my pedals hit the snow in spots. My wife now thinks I totally bonkers but loving every minute of it!!

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 05:54:21 AM »
Riding to work tonight a younger guy presumably hold enough to drive as he was standing beside a truck running at -3 C(26F) say "Wrong Season..." trailed off as I rode past. It was warm enough I didn't even need my long johns or sweater!! This is my first winter riding and -22C (-8F) has been the coldest so far and not quite a blizzard but enough snow to have my pedals hit the snow in spots. My wife now thinks I totally bonkers but loving every minute of it!!
I can't temperature.  I read that as -22F at first...I thought you really were insane!  Still, -8F is pretty badass!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 07:17:28 AM »
I can't temperature.  I read that as -22F at first...I thought you really were insane!  Still, -8F is pretty badass!

Join the rest of the world America.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 07:19:57 AM »
What's worse is I'm in science - so at work I think in C.... and you can pry the English measurements out of my cold, ....wait - just take 'em, I agree - can we go metric now?

EDIT:  I also can't quote correctly...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 10:35:12 AM by Eric222 »

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 09:26:12 AM »

I'm usually in the minority on internet forums with this topic, but I learned both American Standard & Metric in school.  I used metric as a member of the US military.  I don't find it very advantageous.  I prefer AS.  I have many reasons for this preference, but that would require an new thread.

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 11:07:36 AM »

I'm usually in the minority on internet forums with this topic, but I learned both American Standard & Metric in school.  I used metric as a member of the US military. I don't find it very advantageous.  I prefer AS.  I have many reasons for this preference, but that would require an new thread.

Why is that so? Every subsequent unit in the metric system is a multiple of ten of the previous unit. It makes calculations so simple. If I ask "how many ounces of water can you fit in a cylindrical container with a diameter of 3 inches and a length of 1/4 mile? " You don't even need a calculator to answer that with the metric system.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 03:03:46 PM »

I'm usually in the minority on internet forums with this topic, but I learned both American Standard & Metric in school.  I used metric as a member of the US military. I don't find it very advantageous.  I prefer AS.  I have many reasons for this preference, but that would require an new thread.

Why is that so? Every subsequent unit in the metric system is a multiple of ten of the previous unit. It makes calculations so simple. If I ask "how many ounces of water can you fit in a cylindrical container with a diameter of 3 inches and a length of 1/4 mile? " You don't even need a calculator to answer that with the metric system.

I would probably need a calculator. Unless you meant kilometer?

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 03:22:46 PM »
Sailor, that is my point. Switch all the units in the question to the metric system and you can calculate that in a jiffy without using a calculator.

One Noisy Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 03:45:04 PM »

The metric system is a product of the French Revolution and as Lady Bracknell says in "The Importance of Being Earnest" we all know what that led to.

But then I'm a wuss. I prefer walking when it's below 40.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 10:59:38 PM »
I'd feel bad parking my bike inside.  It's usually dripping with mud when I get to work from the trail I ride on...

I've had people ask if my bike was "the muddy one."  Sadly, that's a sufficiently unique description for mine.

Also, <3 F for temperature.  100F is "pretty damned hot."  0F is "pretty damned cold."  And it's not like I'm regularly converting between temperature and other units regularly in my life...

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 11:27:18 PM »
Sailor, that is my point. Switch all the units in the question to the metric system and you can calculate that in a jiffy without using a calculator.

Hmm, yes, I can see that now. Perchance there are times when I am Not So Smart.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2015, 10:25:26 PM »

I don't usually need a calculator for AS either.  Granted, AS is rather screwed up for historical reasons, but it's actually a base-2 system, and that fact is most evident when looking at volume measurements.  Halving or quartering of a volume is something that is downright natural for the human mind, so it's something that even the illiterate could do in their heads "without a calculator".

Let me illustrate using the standard volume units per wikipedia, bear in mind that many of these are no longer in common use... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_customary_units#Units_of_capacity_and_volume)

The largest AS volume unit is the hogshead,
 Half a hogshead is a barrel, but then we have a disconnect, because a barrel is 31.5 gallons.

So let's restart with a bushel, half of which is the half-bushel,
 Next we have a peck, half of which is the more commonly known gallon,
  Half a gallon is, obviously, a half-gallon
   Half of that is a quart,
    Half again is a pint,
     Half again is a cup,
       Half again is a gill,
        Then the half-gill,
         Then the fluid ounce,
           Then the tablespoon,  after which things get screwy again.

Also, the pint is (almost) exactly one pound of water, so there is a rational connection to mass measurements as well; even though mass units don't have a consistent relationship.

So, as you can see, AS could stand for some regulatory intervention to fix the historical hiccups, but it's certainly useful in it's own way.  American construction workers, I know first had, typically have both AS and metric tools; and dealing with an architect who insists upon using metric blueprints is a universally hated trait.  His design team, with their fancy computer programs, can switch back and forth between AS and Metric all day long; but when you are in the field trying to imagine your work plan, AS in inches, feet & yards are easier to conceptualize in 3 dimensions, if not easier to convert.  Also, unit conversion calculators exist for the conversion challenged, anyway; so even that really isn't an issue.  Although, I will admit that I hate converting from feet into miles; but that is also a rare problem to have.  It sure would be easy to convert meters into kilometers in your head, as it's just a matter of shifting the dot, but how often does the typical European have to convert a small distance unit (feet or meters) into a traveling distance unit (miles or kilometers)?  Here, that's only done in elementary math classes, to torture the kids with the idea that they will actually need to know how to do it as driving adults. (Hint, that would be never. Even your GPS app will switch from miles to yards without requiring the user to perform any mental calculations)

JR

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2015, 10:55:44 AM »
Unfortunately bike commuting season is over for me around this time of the year (I still ride for fun on the weekends). I just don't feel comfortable commuting when it is nearly dark in the morning or evening. I attached a picture of part of my bike commute (the speed limit is 45 mph on this road) for reference.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2015, 02:27:57 PM »
I've biked to work year-round for 20 years, but am hanging it up during the winter. Main reason is that last winter when I didn't bike for over a month because I was dealing with family issues, I noticed that my sinuses felt unusually good. When I got a cold I got over it in days, instead of dealing with post-cold sinus issues for weeks, which is what usually happens. When I rode again in the cold, wet weather, my sinus flared up again.

Also, when the temp gets much below 40 F, my fingertips get painfully cold these days, no matter what type of gloves I wear.

It's heck getting old.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2015, 02:45:55 PM »
American construction workers, I know first had, typically have both AS and metric tools; and dealing with an architect who insists upon using metric blueprints is a universally hated trait.  His design team, with their fancy computer programs, can switch back and forth between AS and Metric all day long; but when you are in the field trying to imagine your work plan, AS in inches, feet & yards are easier to conceptualize in 3 dimensions, if not easier to convert.           

The real problem is having to deal with all the American-standard building materials. I imagine that trying to build a 10m by 3m wall out of 3.048m studs and 1.219m by 2.438m sheets of plywood has got to be a bitch and a half. (In comparison, building a 32ft by 10ft wall with those things would be much easier.)

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2015, 03:37:45 PM »
American construction workers, I know first had, typically have both AS and metric tools; and dealing with an architect who insists upon using metric blueprints is a universally hated trait.  His design team, with their fancy computer programs, can switch back and forth between AS and Metric all day long; but when you are in the field trying to imagine your work plan, AS in inches, feet & yards are easier to conceptualize in 3 dimensions, if not easier to convert.           

The real problem is having to deal with all the American-standard building materials. I imagine that trying to build a 10m by 3m wall out of 3.048m studs and 1.219m by 2.438m sheets of plywood has got to be a bitch and a half. (In comparison, building a 32ft by 10ft wall with those things would be much easier.)

Actually, that wouldn't be as true as you'd think using wood.  Standard AS structural wood is only a 'fuzzy' standard, and one must almost always cut to fit anyway.  Building with concrete block is another story, but metric block is available in the US, but usually costs a bit more because it's a rather uncommon requirement.  Block layers are not the most intelligent of homo sapiens, but about a third of them were born in a country that uses Metric already, so it's not hard to find some that can make that transition.  In that case, it's usually the English language, and not a derivative of the English Imperial Standard that is the root cause of error.  Laying out interior walls in centimeters is aggravating when you have spent 95% of your working career using inches and feet, however.  I'm sure it comes naturally to European construction workers to use Metric for everything, but favoring familiarity alone does not a rational argument make.  The US, and my state, governments have made many attempts at transitioning to Metric during my lifetime, all of which just end up costing taxpayers money and eventually stalling anyway; because the American public doesn't give a damn about Metric, beyond a small minority of true believers.  For the past several years, my state of Kentucky has been replacing interstate highway road signs with new ones that use Km as distances.  It pisses people off.  We have both miles & kilometers on our speedometers.  The vast majority of adults capable of getting a drivers' license can do just fine using kilometers as a driving metric.  But any effort to force Americans to use Metric instead of AS is viewed as government meddling in common affairs, and results in someone losing an election; then the true believers advocating for a Metric transition get ignored for a while.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2015, 10:04:48 AM »
I've got miles and km/h on my speedometer, but my odometer reads in miles, my "distance to empty" info pane reads in miles, and the big numbers on my speedometer are in miles.  Changing highway signs to kilometers is just being an ass for the sake of being an ass, and if they're replacing perfectly good signs, it's a waste of money on top of that.  Yes, I would oppose that as well.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2015, 11:53:42 AM »
I've got miles and km/h on my speedometer, but my odometer reads in miles, my "distance to empty" info pane reads in miles, and the big numbers on my speedometer are in miles.  Changing highway signs to kilometers is just being an ass for the sake of being an ass, and if they're replacing perfectly good signs, it's a waste of money on top of that.  Yes, I would oppose that as well.

If they are modern & digital, odds are high that can be set to kilometers anyway.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2015, 01:03:40 PM »

They're not replacing 'perfectly good' signs though . . . they're replacing an archaic method of measurement.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2015, 04:55:37 PM »
If they are modern & digital, odds are high that can be set to kilometers anyway.

*checks the forum*

Nope.  Not on BrandNewCarOwners.com.

How modern does a car have to be before you can set the odometer to kilometers, exactly?

They're not replacing 'perfectly good' signs though . . . they're replacing an archaic method of measurement.

It doesn't make a bit of difference.  The bulk of the US auto fleet reports in miles.  Just leave it alone.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2015, 10:59:25 PM »

*checks the forum*

Nope.  Not on BrandNewCarOwners.com.

How modern does a car have to be before you can set the odometer to kilometers, exactly?

I'm not sure, but I have a '93 Park Avenue that can do it.  I would have assumed that most or all could do it by now.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2015, 06:52:14 AM »

It doesn't make a bit of difference.  The bulk of the US auto fleet reports in miles.  Just leave it alone.

I agree with you.  The immediate next problem to tackle is that the bulk of the US auto fleet reports information in miles.  :P

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2015, 07:10:08 AM »

Knowing that 0.6 miles = 1 kM is all you need. I don't get how it's seemingly super easy to convert inches to foot and Oz to pints to gallons but then miles to kM is just "nope!".

If you've used the system all your life, you likely don't want it to change, but that does not mean that it makes any sense.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2015, 07:14:58 AM »
You want to know why road signs don't get converted to metric? Think about what will happen once idiots (with speedometers reading MPH) start seeing speed limit signs labeled "100."

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2015, 08:30:02 AM »
You want to know why road signs don't get converted to metric? Think about what will happen once idiots (with speedometers reading MPH) start seeing speed limit signs labeled "100."

Imagine those nerds going 100 M/s!?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2015, 08:37:46 AM »

Imagine those nerds going 100 M/s!?

Haha well not too many cars can go 360 kph = 224 mph....

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2015, 01:40:57 PM »
I've biked to work year-round for 20 years, but am hanging it up during the winter. Main reason is that last winter when I didn't bike for over a month because I was dealing with family issues, I noticed that my sinuses felt unusually good. When I got a cold I got over it in days, instead of dealing with post-cold sinus issues for weeks, which is what usually happens. When I rode again in the cold, wet weather, my sinus flared up again.

Also, when the temp gets much below 40 F, my fingertips get painfully cold these days, no matter what type of gloves I wear.

It's heck getting old.

My hand and finger issues come not from the cold temps, but from issues with the nerves in my neck.  Doesn't seem logical, but when I stretch my neck while riding all the feeling comes back.  Try it and see if that helps.