Author Topic: Biggest Mustachian Purchase You Have Ever Made  (Read 12325 times)

Mega

• Stubble
Biggest Mustachian Purchase You Have Ever Made
« on: September 05, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »
I was originally thinking of posting this in the "most non-mustachian spending" thread, but I realized it is probably a very mustachian purchase. Specifically, I view Mustachianisn as maximizing the happiness value of each dollar you spend.

My biggest, and still by far the best Mustachian purchase I have ever made was laser eye surgery. Yes, it was $4000, but the simple joys of living glasses free still brings happiness to my day.

What is your most Mustachian purchase? (Contributed the most to your happiness, dollar for dollar)

Samsam

• Bristles
Re: Biggest Mustachian Purchase You Have Ever Made
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:55:54 PM »
I was originally thinking of posting this in the "most non-mustachian spending" thread, but I realized it is probably a very mustachian purchase. Specifically, I view Mustachianisn as maximizing the happiness value of each dollar you spend.

My biggest, and still by far the best Mustachian purchase I have ever made was laser eye surgery. Yes, it was $4000, but the simple joys of living glasses free still brings happiness to my day.

What is your most Mustachian purchase? (Contributed the most to your happiness, dollar for dollar)

+1 this.  I had this done a couple years ago and I still go to bed and wake up every morning so happy that I can see without having to do anything.  The first 6 months I actually almost cried every time I woke up because I was so thankful.  I used to have contacts but in college my eyes started rejecting them.  I tried many different brands but none worked out.  Highly recommended!!!! (if you qualify..)

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 02:59:06 PM »
Hard to say.  On just largest number dollars spent on something that produced a net increase in happiness, it'd have to be my current house.  If you factor in happiness per dollar, it'd have to have been either the airplane or the horse.  (Well, technically the horse was free.  The ~$6K in vet bills came a bit later, after I had time to get attached.)

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »
Easily my wall bed.  Instead of buying a bigger house with a second bedroom, I got this for the alcove off my living room.  When the bed is up, a table folds out from the bottom.  When it's all folded up, I've got a nice empty space.  Bedroom, dining room, playroom.  It was around $2000.  It's the smartest purchase I've ever made.

mulescent

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 05:34:14 PM »
For me, it's my bike ($600) and bike-related gear ($400 or so).  I realize the gear number is kinda high, but I live in Seattle and bike commute every day.  Thus, a set of high-quality waterproof clothing and a waterproof backpack are necessities.  I've been bike commuting for five years, and given that gas + parking is ~$200/mo, I count these as very mustachian purchases.

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:41:20 PM »
Easily my wall bed.  Instead of buying a bigger house with a second bedroom, I got this for the alcove off my living room.  When the bed is up, a table folds out from the bottom.  When it's all folded up, I've got a nice empty space.  Bedroom, dining room, playroom.  It was around $2000.  It's the smartest purchase I've ever made.

Oh that sounds really interesting, mind posting a pic?

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:01:31 AM »
I will take some photos and get them uploaded, but it's kind of like this one.  I have two cheap IKEA Expedit? shelves on either side instead of built-ins like in this photo though.  Mine is kind of maple/birch colored, and queen-size.

http://www.wallbedsnw.com/details.php?id=347

Editing to add photos of mine! Please don't include the photos in quotes, I might take them back out at some point.  Thanky!   Here is the dining room:

Playroom mode:

And bedroom mode:

It is a tiny little space for sure, but it's the most useful little area of the house.  Wallbed = win!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:12:41 AM by KulshanGirl »

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »

+1 this.  I had this done a couple years ago and I still go to bed and wake up every morning so happy that I can see without having to do anything.  The first 6 months I actually almost cried every time I woke up because I was so thankful.  I used to have contacts but in college my eyes started rejecting them.  I tried many different brands but none worked out.  Highly recommended!!!! (if you qualify..)
+2
However, my laser eye surgery was $2300 because I did it at a top rated research hospital and was willing to be part of a study.  The study was using different numbing drops pre-surgery (both approved and used everyday in regular surgeries) and letting them know my pain levels before, during, and after surgery.  Easy peasy.  I also used my expiring flexible spending $ to pay for it, so it was pre-tax money.  I always tell people to go to the best center and ask if they have any studies going on that you would qualify for. 

Spudd

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 11:08:48 AM »
I have to echo the bike purchase. The feeling of freedom when I hop on my bike is unparalleled. Yes, the bike was $700 if I recall correctly, but so far it's given me 3 years of great service and the money I'm saving by not having a car has paid for it long since.

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 11:49:55 AM »
I will take some photos and get them uploaded, but it's kind of like this one.  I have two cheap IKEA Expedit? shelves on either side instead of built-ins like in this photo though.  Mine is kind of maple/birch colored, and queen-size.

That is neat!

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
I'm right there with you on the laser eye surgery. Was expensive, but totally worth it.

SavingMon(k)ey

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
Wow, this is encouraging about the eye surgery. I have very strong prescriptions and my eyes are not doing well with contact lenses. I spend at least $800 on special lenses and contacts every two or three years, and that's being mustachian about the frames and using them for many years (I retired my previous set of frames last summer after almost 10 years; they were falling apart and causing me nickel allergy).

On my most mustachian purchase, probably the bike, but also a yogurt maker.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 02:06:04 PM »
I got one of the HP Touchpads for $99 when they had the firesale last year (normally $400+). After they made the android mod for I it made it an android tablet. My wife and I both use it almost every day for either e-reading or looking at recipies in the kitchen.

If we're talking more that $99 though, I bough a drysuit for ~$1000 for all of the kayaking I do in Colorado. When the snowmelt comes rushing down the mountains, I'm ready and warm. Well worth it for all the kayaking I do.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 03:12:05 PM »
We bought a used 2007 Toyota Prius shortly after I got married. I think we paid $14,000 for it, but it's the best money we've ever spent. I love that car! It has 110K miles on it, and I hope to drive it another 110!

Mega

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »
Wow, this is encouraging about the eye surgery. I have very strong prescriptions and my eyes are not doing well with contact lenses. I spend at least $800 on special lenses and contacts every two or three years, and that's being mustachian about the frames and using them for many years (I retired my previous set of frames last summer after almost 10 years; they were falling apart and causing me nickel allergy).

On my most mustachian purchase, probably the bigke, but also a yogurt maker.

Definitely get checked to see if you qualify for laser surgery.

What is a yogurt maker?  A spoon to add some old yogurt to some milk?

I actually though of another mustachian purchase, my Dyson vacuum cleaner. It is such a well thought out machine, that it is quite a pleasure to use.

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 05:37:36 PM »
My cross-country skis, boots, and poles. For $200, I get to set down first tracks in winter wonderland and an awesome workout!

My used Prius is a close second. I have a hard time admitting that my car makes me happy, but every time I pull in to the gas station after an SUV and leave before it does, it makes my day ;)

KimPossible

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 07:15:21 PM »
I had Lasik a year ago today.  I'm still amazed by the results.  It's the closest thing to magic that I can think of.

I'd been wearing glasses since I was six, and contacts since I was eleven.  Waking up and being able to see the clock still hasn't gotten old :)

Stives

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 11:57:45 PM »

On my most mustachian purchase, probably the bike, but also a yogurt maker.

Yes, this!! I just bought one and can't wait to relish in the delicious cheap yogurt it will produce!

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »

That is neat!

Love this.  Have you had many guests use it?

Samsam

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 12:55:36 PM »

That is neat!

Just an update, you have inspired me to do this in my guest room!  I will only have guests in that room a couple times a year and I was mentally having a problem never using the room except for those few times, but now I have this fine solution.  Thank you!

brand new stash

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 12:56:39 PM »
$25 for a match.com membership where I met my husband. That has contributed more to my day to day happiness than any other money I've ever spent.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 03:33:29 PM »
1) Bike
2) Frye boots
3) Gifts for others

:D

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 03:50:34 PM »

This is my very own bed, where I sleep every night.  :)  But when guests are over, I either bunk with the small fry or sleep on the futon couch that you'd see if you made a 180 turn from what the photos show.  I'd say that happens once a month or so, either my mom or friends visiting.  There is a curtain that pulls across for privacy that you can't really see in the photos. 

Just an update, you have inspired me to do this in my guest room!  I will only have guests in that room a couple times a year and I was mentally having a problem never using the room except for those few times, but now I have this fine solution.  Thank you!

That's awesome!  :)

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 04:21:54 PM »
Even cooler and more mustachian that you use it yourself daily.  Really is money well spent.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »
Cheaper than buying a different house with another bedroom, that's for sure!  The closet in the one bedroom, which is the child's room, is pretty good sized.  I keep all of my clothes that require hanging up in there.  The rest of my clothes are in an ikea wardroby-thing in a little hallway nook.  It takes LESS time to put the bed up and down than it takes to make a bed.  Pillows come off into the closet/shelves (you can kind of see it in the first photo, they're on the bottom shelf), arrange blankets more or less flat like a made bed, then up she goes.  The foot thing at the end of the bed folds in/over and holds the blankets in place. 

cdttmm

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 03:44:40 PM »
$25 for a match.com membership where I met my husband. That has contributed more to my day to day happiness than any other money I've ever spent.

Awesome!

Systematic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »
KulshanGirl

Thats fantastic and inspirational

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 05:05:29 PM »
Probably getting a geothermal heating/cooling system in our house.  Super expensive, but our house is comfortable like never before!  At the same time we got whole house insulation, and several years ago we got new windows that don't let in the breeze, so it's a combination of those three things that make our house so very comfortable and energy efficient.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 06:05:12 PM »
Awhile back, bought a new house, about 2500 sqft.  The lol here is that we had no kids and the home was always about 80% unused :)

We are now in a 1500 sqft bungalow and perfectly happy with 2 kids!

At least we made about 25k after we sold it. 

Systematic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 11:08:46 PM »
Landscape plan 10 years ago for $500.

The basis of the plan was native trees for birds. We now wake to the sound of the birds and in the evening they think its a playground.  We've been able to plant them on other peoples property nearby and have seen native birds we've never seen before in our garden.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 06:06:37 AM »
For me it was my $400 Nashbar road bike.  I ride to work about 3-4 days a week saving money on gas, wear and tear on my vehicle and burning 1200 a day!

Mega

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »

The basis of the plan was native trees for birds. We now wake to the sound of the birds and in the evening they think its a playground.  We've been able to plant them on other peoples property nearby and have seen native birds we've never seen before in our garden.

Now that is an amazing purchase!  May I ask whereabouts do you live? I would love to add some more native shrubs to my yard for birds.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »
+1 on lasik eye surgery.  Went from literally almost blind without glasses to 20/20.  $3000 or so but after sending it through the FSA, under $2k after tax.  I have probably saved close to that on eye exams and glasses 10 year post-surgery (although the vision might need a check up soon).

On the low end of cost, 2 things:
1. Flower seeds from the dollar store.  My daughters actually bought these.  Wildflower mixes.  They have grown into hundreds of beautiful low maintenance flowers and planted along the front half of our house.  Huge boost to curb appeal and we have received many compliments on the flowers and other landscaping (all other plants were free except Mrs. RootofGood's spendy $20 crape myrtle that she had to have in a certain shade of dark purple).
2. Good pyrex storage dishes and cookware.  Probably $50 total, but these let us cook and store a $hitload of food and help us cook for ~50 people for b-day parties and thanksgiving. 

Systematic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 02:26:34 PM »

Now that is an amazing purchase!  May I ask whereabouts do you live? I would love to add some more native shrubs to my yard for birds.

Thanks for the feedback

Christchurch New Zealand. I really thought it was being extravagant at the time and just approached a nursery.  So it was full price.  I was wondering how mustachians would view it.

What I didn't know at the time is that the land right next to us would be red zoned. 10,000 homes going.  So the birds (and cats and rats unfortunately) are loving the space.  Hence the expanding number of native birds are now happy to pop across to the natives to give us surprises.

Our birds are not large nor spectacular, but we've had the bellbird (the bird of the forest) grey warbler, fantail, kereru (wood pigeon) and the New Zealand Falcon has been flying above us. We also get flocks of silvereye

The advice was to plant seed producing plants as well as flowering. And planted some of them in a group. If you can leave some scrub under the tree for the birds. I used to get rid of broken branches, but I can't reach them anymore and the birds are nesting up there so I'm hoping the chicks fly away before the branch collapses. Iv'e even had a native bird try to land on my shoulder. If you make noises like a bird  they come to see what you're up to, especially the fantails who swirl around you. I often go out there and slowly become aware of more and more that i didn't notice at first.

Because they're nesting at the moment they're trying to take big branches and break string off my hessian pot. They seem to know we won't hurt them and if you're gardening they may follow you. It really is just a 700sqm section including the house. we've also got 28 fruit trees at last count which we share with the birds, apples, peaches, nectarines, quinces, plums and  cherries. Apples are by far the most successful for the birds if you leave some on the tree, months of winter feed.  A lot of the trees are dwarf or pixies. Even have a dwarf walnut.

Some people say the birds left after the earthquakes, they never left us, I checked each time.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 02:51:12 PM »
KulshanGirl's bed is so clever!  I want to get one of those!
Our mustachian purchase was our condo.  It allows us to live in a high income area very cheaply.