Author Topic: Being mocked for my iPhone 5  (Read 33985 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Being mocked for my iPhone 5
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2016, 06:54:22 AM »
Frantically searching the web for a rotary smart phone...

Texting on one requires higher level skills.

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2016, 07:18:12 AM »
Given how many people look down their noses at two-year-old technology, would there be any entertainment value in getting an old-ish smart phone that still works, prettying it up, and passing it off as an elite beta version of something new and whizbang? Smaller, sleeker, more efficient, &c. I wonder how many people simply wouldn't recognize the much older technology and could be tricked into believing it's something impressive.

I like this idea!!!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2016, 11:27:16 AM »
Given how many people look down their noses at two-year-old technology, would there be any entertainment value in getting an old-ish smart phone that still works, prettying it up, and passing it off as an elite beta version of something new and whizbang? Smaller, sleeker, more efficient, &c. I wonder how many people simply wouldn't recognize the much older technology and could be tricked into believing it's something impressive.

I like this idea!!!

I feel like that's what Apple has just done, minus the no audio jack thing. I know that there is likely a lot of new designs and features, but it just drives me crazy that they could release anything and it would sell out. But I suppose that's a perk of running a hip company with loyal followers, not to mention that they got those followers by having great products.

mbk

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2016, 03:02:46 PM »
I had a somewhat different experience recently related to iphone 7 upgrading, so posting here. I am sharing a family plan with my friend. He is upgrading his and his wife's phones to iphone 7 model. In the process, he bought two second-hand iphone 6 phones for 600 bucks and upgraded to iphone 7 for free trading-in the iphone 6 phones. He advised me to do the same touting the savings. While not bad in terms of market value, both my wife & I refused to spend 600 bucks for phones which we felt were not essential.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2016, 03:20:38 PM »
I had a somewhat different experience recently related to iphone 7 upgrading, so posting here. I am sharing a family plan with my friend. He is upgrading his and his wife's phones to iphone 7 model. In the process, he bought two second-hand iphone 6 phones for 600 bucks and upgraded to iphone 7 for free trading-in the iphone 6 phones. He advised me to do the same touting the savings. While not bad in terms of market value, both my wife & I refused to spend 600 bucks for phones which we felt were not essential.

Is sharing a plan really more economical than MVNOs (e.g., Ting)?

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2016, 05:54:41 PM »

Something tells me he's paying for that "free" upgrade somewhere else, i.e., in a monthly payment.  At best, he paid $600 for a phone which is still ridiculous.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2016, 05:13:49 PM »
Already 3 times this week I have received off the cuff, snobby remarks about the fact that I have an iPhone 5 and not a 6. Just sitting in a meeting today I looked around and everyone has the newest phone. I wear it as a badge of honor. I have not been sucked into material consumerism and will be FIRE before I hit 50. I even bought the phone used.. ha ha!

It's crazy that people care about such meaningless shit so much.
You should hang around teenagers.  Cel phones are absolutely the #1 status symbols in their lives -- I get so frustrated with my students.  Many of them are literally addicted to their phones.  It's really sad.  I've seen kids ridiculed because their phones are shut off for non-payment; yet they still carry them because being seen without a phone is social suicide.  Between classes (they only have 6 minutes!) 90% of our kids plug in music /headphones.  I refuse to hold a conversation with a kid while he's listening to music, but they don't see that as a rude thing.  Go chaperone a school dance; at any given point, 20% of the kids are sitting at the tables using their phones -- who are they texting?  Isn't everyone at the dance?  Oh, and the #1 crime at our high school?  Phone theft. 

Yet another reason not to own a cellphone at all. . .
I don't think cel phones are a bad a choice -- but spending $$$ on the fanciest model and making it the center of your life (or even noticing the model someone else carries) is stupid.  From my perspective, I see a number of good reasons to have a mobile phone:

- We have family out of town, and back when we had a land line and paid long distance calls (remember those?) we used to have a bill of about $120/month and two of us used it.  No, cutting back on family communication was never an option.  My husband and my phones cost a little less than that per month ... of course, we have two kids, too, so the total bill is more. 
- When we had a land line and long distance, we always waited 'til after 5:00 or weekends to make our calls as cheaply as possible.  Now we can call whenever we want. 
- Yes, you can get the same services with other devices, but the mobile phone brings all the functions together in one compact machine ... and, as stated above, it costs about the same as we used to pay for a land line and long distance.  And they work anywhere, and we all have a story about an emergency with a broken-down car, etc. 
- Note that none of the above have to do with "smart phones".  Smart phones may be handy (for coupons, for checking prices at other stores, for sending a picture of a shirt to your daughter before you buy it), but none of those are actual NEEDS for everyday life. 

UbermomsHubby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2016, 10:36:21 PM »
Each time my iphone dies, I am constantly disappointed because I want to buy versions older than are currently sold.  In fact, at work, I use phones turned in by departed employees and wiped rather than getting a new phone.  Apple really has ticked me off because in addition, they did not repair two of my laptops because they were "beyond service life"  What's up with that?

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2016, 12:57:37 PM »
Each time my iphone dies, I am constantly disappointed because I want to buy versions older than are currently sold.  In fact, at work, I use phones turned in by departed employees and wiped rather than getting a new phone.  Apple really has ticked me off because in addition, they did not repair two of my laptops because they were "beyond service life"  What's up with that?

They've figured out-- like software manufacturers-- that services provide better long-term income than products do. So they've jumped on the planned obsolescence bandwagon. Just in case they can't convince everyone that they "neeeeeed" the newest whizbang version every year or two, they sabotage the after-market and maintenance services to make sure people are forced to re-re-re-re-repurchase their products and services every year or two. That way they can gouge money for a bunch of other bundled crap that most customers don't need, want, or use (a technique much beloved of cable companies). They do their very best to eliminate the option of making do with less. One way they do it is by forcing their customers to choose between buying something far more expensive than what they really want, and going without.

uppy

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2016, 01:41:05 PM »
Regarding the Android vs. Apple debate and the shaming on either side...

It's true I see more shaming coming from Android users along the lines of "You're too consumerist, why do you spend so much on the iPhone/newest model/etc." This is stupid because you don't know the person's situation (they may be wealthy or this is the one thing they splurge on).

On the other hand, as an Android user, it's just frustrating to see so many people spending so much money on a cell phone that is A) nothing special B) not any easier to use (people claim this but everything has a learning curve, a toddler can use an Android), and C) actually more prone to physical breakage than most Androids -- in my experience, YMMV.

The fact that the OP was mocked for her iPhone 5 shows that Apple products are big-time social currency these days, which inflates their perceived value.

Full disclosure, I am writing this on a Macbook Air :)

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2016, 02:59:48 PM »
I've got an iPhone 4s. Gets the job done just fine, though the battery is starting to show its age. It should last until the iPhone 7 is out and I can snag a cheap 6 or 6s to use for the next 4-5 years.
Smartphones are incredibly useful for my job, so I'll pay the extra cost over a flip phone.

I bought a replacement battery for my 4S off Ebay (it came along with a tiny screwdriver to open the phone) and watched a video on You Tube. It works much better now. The battery was only about 5 bucks.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2016, 07:43:03 AM »
I have bought many more products from Apple than followers of the mustache should. The one that disappoints me the most is iTunes. It was so great back in the early days, but now its best capability seems to be updating itself.

monte0930

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2016, 07:59:13 AM »
I have bought many more products from Apple than followers of the mustache should. The one that disappoints me the most is iTunes. It was so great back in the early days, but now its best capability seems to be updating itself.

Yes, I used iTunes back in college when it was really great. Best music player for computer use by far. That was 14 years ago, now I don't even use it because each time it updated it actually got more bloated and useless features that I would never use. I tried installing an older software version, which worked for a while but then it tried to update again and stopped working. All of this was on my PC by the way. Oh well, since I lost my old iPod there is literally no reason for me to use iTunes anymore, or anything from Apple for that matter.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2016, 08:23:17 AM »

Yes, I used iTunes back in college when it was really great. Best music player for computer use by far. That was 14 years ago, now I don't even use it because each time it updated it actually got more bloated and useless features that I would never use. I tried installing an older software version, which worked for a while but then it tried to update again and stopped working. All of this was on my PC by the way. Oh well, since I lost my old iPod there is literally no reason for me to use iTunes anymore, or anything from Apple for that matter.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way about Itunes. I have an Ipod so it's largely necessary, but after mine craps the bed I'm done with Itunes.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2016, 10:24:08 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way about Itunes. I have an Ipod so it's largely necessary, but after mine craps the bed I'm done with Itunes.

The problem with Apple stuff is that it locks you in and you can't escape.  I started using iPhoto years ago and each release seems to be buggier.  I still trying to figure out how to escape from that.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2016, 11:11:06 AM »

I suspect that some of you are viewing history through rose coloured glasses.  Compared to the alternatives iTunes was never great . . . it was just less shitty than current incarnations.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »
I'm a relative Apple fan and even I think iTunes blows goats for quarters.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »
https://www.clementine-player.org

All Linux, Mac, Windows - and PortableApps.

I love this one. Open-Source. Free. Has a remote control that works via Wi-Fi on a smart phone.

I've used iTunes and iPods and they are good but I don't like the vendor lock.

monte0930

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2016, 01:38:16 PM »
I suspect that some of you are viewing history through rose coloured glasses.  Compared to the alternatives iTunes was never great . . . it was just less shitty than current incarnations.

It worked great in our doorms, could share libraries with everyone else that used iTunes. We even found a slightly shady extension called ourtunes that let you copy songs from shared libraries. It was much better than winamp anyway!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2016, 01:43:23 PM »

It worked great in our doorms, could share libraries with everyone else that used iTunes. We even found a slightly shady extension called ourtunes that let you copy songs from shared libraries. It was much better than winamp anyway!

Agree completely! I too compared Itunes to Winamp. It seems like a lifetime ago....

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2016, 01:45:35 PM »

I love this one. Open-Source. Free. Has a remote control that works via Wi-Fi on a smart phone.

Sweet thanks! I'm leaning more and more towards ditching my Ipod as I primarily listen to Audiobooks anyways and can do so on my smartphone. I'm going to look into this and see if it's good for moving audio files to my phone.

Any idea if Clementine will work with Audible (DRM protected) files?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:49:15 PM by MgoSam »

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2016, 03:57:16 PM »

Oooh, good times!  I can remember using Winamp to create .wav files from mp3s to burn my own mix CDs.  Also manually editing mp3 tags one file at a time.  Both cumbersome tasks that iTunes completely revolutionized.  There was also a time when iTunes for PC didn't exist and had to use some third party application to load up your iPod. Music Manager or something?, circa 2003.

I will take this iTunes interface any day:

The current one is way too busy.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2016, 07:43:58 AM »

Sweet thanks! I'm leaning more and more towards ditching my Ipod as I primarily listen to Audiobooks anyways and can do so on my smartphone. I'm going to look into this and see if it's good for moving audio files to my phone.

No idea whatsoever. Clementine was born out of a project called Amarok (still active). Amarok changed their GUI drastically and a while later this other group popped up and resurrected the old GUI that you see in Clementine. To me Clementine is the best music player out there. Right mix of easy and advanced features.

I suspect that if there is a feature that it doesn't have, someone has that feature in the form of a plugin. Some of the mainstream open-source projects can't include those kinds of things to avoid patent/copyright/DMCA lawsuits.

A good example is FreeCAD 3-D (or maybe it was LibreCAD 2-D). Can't include the ability to work with DWG files natively b/c Autodesk might come after them. However a 3rd party wrote up a plugin that exists elsewhere on the web.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeCAD

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/?title=Screenshots

http://librecad.org/cms/home.html

Just putting these here for anybody that might find them useful.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2016, 12:31:05 PM »

No idea whatsoever. Clementine was born out of a project called Amarok (still active). Amarok changed their GUI drastically and a while later this other group popped up and resurrected the old GUI that you see in Clementine. To me Clementine is the best music player out there. Right mix of easy and advanced features.

I suspect that if there is a feature that it doesn't have, someone has that feature in the form of a plugin. Some of the mainstream open-source projects can't include those kinds of things to avoid patent/copyright/DMCA lawsuits.

A good example is FreeCAD 3-D (or maybe it was LibreCAD 2-D). Can't include the ability to work with DWG files natively b/c Autodesk might come after them. However a 3rd party wrote up a plugin that exists elsewhere on the web.

Just throwing this out there, if anyone knows an alternative to Apple products for playing Audible (DRM) files, please let me know. I currently am using my smartphone which is good, but I don't like taking my phone with me on walks and the like and so would love to have alternate options.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2016, 12:44:55 PM »

Just throwing this out there, if anyone knows an alternative to Apple products for playing Audible (DRM) files, please let me know. I currently am using my smartphone which is good, but I don't like taking my phone with me on walks and the like and so would love to have alternate options.

Can you just convert the file to version without DRM, or download a DRM free version?  I personally have no qualms downloading media that I've already paid for.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2016, 01:34:15 PM »

Can you just convert the file to version without DRM, or download a DRM free version?  I personally have no qualms downloading media that I've already paid for.

Yes there are ways to do so, the reason I would prefer to avoid this is that it would be nice to be able to directly download audiobooks straight to my player, without having to alter them first. Right now with my smartphone I have the Audible app so I can download the books and listen to them instantly, and it is nice.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2016, 02:56:58 PM »
Samsung S3 Neo here (how old is it i have no clue...it was free that was the best part!).  Works great and doesn't explode (Note7), haha!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2016, 06:38:10 AM »
no joke, it's been a bad month for Samsung.

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: October 13, 2016, 07:52:23 AM »
Samsung outsourcing smaller brands and cheaper batteries for phones was a big mistake.  I read an article the other day that was stating the traction for iPhone to gain more ground against android has never been stronger.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2016, 11:13:39 AM »
no joke, it's been a bad month for Samsung.

Every single plane flight announcing "recall" "Samsung" "7" "FAA" creates quite the marketing headwind.

As I'm on a low information diet, those announcements were my first and only indication that there was a problem.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2016, 07:30:59 AM »
On the other hand, as an Android user, it's just frustrating to see so many people spending so much money on a cell phone that is A) nothing special B) not any easier to use (people claim this but everything has a learning curve, a toddler can use an Android), and C) actually more prone to physical breakage than most Androids -- in my experience, YMMV.

I have an iPad (3 years old) and an android phone (Samsung S4). Of the two interfaces, i vastly prefer the android (especially once yo account for price). Also, last night my 2.5-year-old unlocked my phone, opened the app she wanted, and found the video she wanted to watch, and I walked into the room to find her settled in to watch Pete the Cat videos by herself on my previously locked and put-away and no-apps-open phone, so, confirmed: toddlers can totally figure out how to use an android.

Also: this phone might be an "old" model, but it's super solid (I've dropped it multiple times without th case: not a scratch. Case is on now due to toddler), it does everything I need to, and it takes pictures in good enough quality to print in 8x10 with no visible quality loss (I'm a parent and grandparents love pictures, so this is a bonus), and is fully paid and on a cheap plan even for rural Canadian cell plans. Like... Why on EARTH would I get a newer model of something that more than meets all my needs? To look cool? Are we back in high school or something??

enb123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2016, 08:43:10 AM »
A person's choice in a phone seems to get much more of a reaction from others than most consumer preferences, at least in my office.  It's insane, but I think it's a function of massive marketing which has created irrational (and intense) brand loyalty, plus the fact that phones are seen as an "affordable luxury" (ha ha) - something that's supposed to say "I have loads of money and good taste."  I actually got sick of co-workers saying "why do you have an Android" off-and-on for several years (can you imagine?) and eventually bought a used iPhone just to shut them up.  So I looked at it more as buying some peace!

kaposzta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Years Until FIRE Calculator
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2016, 07:13:01 AM »
I'm always mocked because of my old, Nokia 6100 from 2008 :) It was my first company phone, and 8 years later I'm still using it (I'm working at the same company). I've even received a new smartphone last year, but I don't use it. My colleagues buy fancy iPhone 6s and huge Samsungs, but they are always complaining about them (battery runs down fast, phones crash all the time, etc.)

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2016, 07:14:07 AM »
A person's choice in a phone seems to get much more of a reaction from others than most consumer preferences, at least in my office.  It's insane, but I think it's a function of massive marketing which has created irrational (and intense) brand loyalty, plus the fact that phones are seen as an "affordable luxury" (ha ha) - something that's supposed to say "I have loads of money and good taste."  I actually got sick of co-workers saying "why do you have an Android" off-and-on for several years (can you imagine?) and eventually bought a used iPhone just to shut them up.  So I looked at it more as buying some peace!

I love that Androids are more or less viewed as a poor person's phone.  All the more reason to keep using one, LOL!

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2016, 12:22:22 AM »
My wife and I run a different strategy with regards to iPhones. Each year we buy a new phone through my wife's company. This is a corporate expense and therefore it is tax-deductible.

The phone becomes her work phone for 1 year, and we sell off the oldest iphone in the house (normally a 2 year old model). But since apple phones hold their value incredibly well this works out to about $50-$100 a year to always have the latest iphone when you factor in the tax break. On the bonus side our phones are never out of warranty so any battery issues can be dealt with by just going to an apple store.

While not as cheap as running a $50 android phone into the ground it is convenient and we sort of like the iPhones.

However just yesterday my wife had to hand in her iPhone 6 for repair and I promptly gave her my 6S. She does need an iphone due to some specialized medical stuff that she runs on it.

I dug out an old Sony Xperia android phone (running android 4.3) from a drawer and installed my usual 8 apps on it. It works just fine with the one exception, the android version is way too old to run the Philips Hue app. And I am left wondering why Sony doesn't provide updates to the operating system, because the hardware is just fine.

I also tried a Nokia 635 Windows Phone I had lying around, but the apps just weren't available.

But give it a week and I'll  have my iPhone back, but I am not ruling out getting a Motorola G4 with the bamboo back next time. Android actually feels just fine compared to iOS. They are different but both work very well.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2016, 08:57:42 AM »
with all the tech-experts here, does anyone have an opinion about security? Do I need to take more care when using an older mobile device to do things like online banking over the wifi at a coffee shop?

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2016, 12:27:30 PM »
I sure would like to have granular control over permissions on Android i.e. block certain apps from ever reaching the 'net b/c they shouldn't ever need to access the 'net. Basically lmy emial program and browser needs to access the 'net. nothing else.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2016, 02:01:29 PM »
And I am left wondering why Sony doesn't provide updates to the operating system, because the hardware is just fine.

Probably because they can't because it was bought through a carrier, who has to approve and send out the updates after Sony gives them to them.  If not that, because it's not worth it and they're focused on software for their latest phone. 

That's what pushed me away from my gen 1 Moto X a few weeks ago.  There were just a few little bugs that weren't deal breakers, but they were never fixed.  If I restarted my phone with it plugged in, it went to a boot screen for 1-2 hours with no way to stop it.  Doesn't happen often, but come on guys.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2016, 12:42:44 AM »
And I am left wondering why Sony doesn't provide updates to the operating system, because the hardware is just fine.

Probably because they can't because it was bought through a carrier, who has to approve and send out the updates after Sony gives them to them.  If not that, because it's not worth it and they're focused on software for their latest phone. 

That's what pushed me away from my gen 1 Moto X a few weeks ago.  There were just a few little bugs that weren't deal breakers, but they were never fixed.  If I restarted my phone with it plugged in, it went to a boot screen for 1-2 hours with no way to stop it.  Doesn't happen often, but come on guys.

Actually the phone was bought retail. In this country we don't have all that carrier nonsense with custom crap-ware on them. I'm still just a bit disappointed that they don't support older customers.

I' m also a bit concerned with security on these older phones, but if at least the browser still receives updates then it's probably ok.

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2016, 06:16:06 AM »

Actually the phone was bought retail. In this country we don't have all that carrier nonsense with custom crap-ware on them. I'm still just a bit disappointed that they don't support older customers.

I' m also a bit concerned with security on these older phones, but if at least the browser still receives updates then it's probably ok.

Makes sense, the carriers still don't do you any favors though.  They may have 5 different versions of the phone out to different carriers.  The unlocked one is the only one they could update easily, but since only probably 20% of their customers have that one, it's not worth it to them.

Security could be pretty bad, I remember there was a flaw in android awhile back that if someone sent you a malicious text you didn't even have to open it and they could pull info from your phone with malicious code.  I think you had to route your texts through an app for it to happen, but still possible.  This wouldn't be a big issue, IF they had the ability to update. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/225834/stagefright-what-you-need-to-know-and-how-to-protect-yourself/

With that being said, I had an older version android that I'm sure was vulnerable to that until about 3 weeks ago, and never had a problem (that I know of).  Even with the vulnerability, your chance of someone using it on you is pretty small.  Kind of like if your front door's lock was broken.  You'd certainly be vulnerable, but still unlikely to be robbed.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:17:52 AM by ooeei »

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2016, 09:14:25 AM »
Well, turns out my spendypants friend had another phone lying around.  Apparently just imagine your Samsung galaxy alpha was not good enough, so he replaced it with a Huwaie something something.

But it's a nice phone and it was free.

Ralph2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2016, 01:16:41 AM »
Well I'm glad I don't have your acquaintance set OP.  If the mock you for an iPhone 5 they would probably beat me for this 6+ year old crackberry I'm typing this post on.  One of these years I will get something newer but as long as its working and the battery life remains adequate I just don't see the need.

I own a dumb phone as well. For business I've been provided with a BlackBerry and that's all smartphone I need.

When noticing my private phone one of my bosses told me 'Samsung called, the want their museum piece back!'. I replied 'I'll keep that. Lasts a week without charging. How about your IPhone?'.

And that was the end of this conversation.

Hi, late to this conversation, have had to upgrade my 3315 in the last year as a result of screen issues. Was unable to get hold of one to cannibalise. Found a 301 at the right price, got a fancy cover for nix.

Got a call and used it, everyone thought it was a small smart unit, no, but it does have a camera.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2016, 03:14:38 AM »
I miss the Nokia 5110. Best phone ever. Couldn't kill it. It had snake. What more could you want?

Mr.BondsBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2016, 09:02:23 AM »
Already 3 times this week I have received off the cuff, snobby remarks about the fact that I have an iPhone 5 and not a 6. Just sitting in a meeting today I looked around and everyone has the newest phone. I wear it as a badge of honor. I have not been sucked into material consumerism and will be FIRE before I hit 50. I even bought the phone used.. ha ha!

It's crazy that people care about such meaningless shit so much.

Good for you. I've never had snobby remarks myself but just the general question of why I use an older version (used a free used 4 until I got an old 5 off the in-laws, which was also free). I tell them how much I pay for my SIM only plan and then they understand!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 10:03:45 AM by Mr.BondsBeard »

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2016, 05:07:19 PM »
I mock people all the time for having outrageously expensive contracts.  People think nothing of paying 100-200 a month for 2-4 lines, and gobs of data.  one guy at work complains he can't reduce his data because his 22 year old kid needs the data, but doesn't chip in for the family bill.  WTF?  In my opinion most people worry too much about the cost of their phone, and not about the cost of plan plus phone.

My wife and I average $35/mo for Ting, but so far none of my shamed targets want to "take the risk" even though there is no contract.

"What if I travel to europe?"  What if you can't afford to go to europe because of your $2.4k/year phone bill...

"But I like streaming Pandora on the way to work."  Ride your bike!  (guy does about 2 days a week, so he has a start...)  Listen to the r-a-d-i-o.

"My stay-at-home wife needs help getting the kids to all their events and crap."  Schedule less crap, don't let your kids doddle so much that they need a ride to school, and ride your bike!

"Wahhhhh!!!"

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2016, 02:54:27 PM »
with all the tech-experts here, does anyone have an opinion about security? Do I need to take more care when using an older mobile device to do things like online banking over the wifi at a coffee shop?

Since no one else has answered yet:  YES!   

Smartphone OSes are lucrative targets for online crime, and an out of date OS can lead to malware getting installed on your phone.

Generally, Android is worse in this regard, largely because of the lack of OS patches from vendors.  The majority of Android devices out there are not at current version levels (see: http://www.droid-life.com/tag/distribution/) so any vulnerabilities that have been fixed in later versions are still there and known, so are easily exploited.  If you want to keep an Android up to date, the Google devices (i.e. Nexus devices) have really good support, and some vendors are better than others about keeping the OS updated.

Apple is much better in this regard as all iPhones can take updates (at least until end-of-life, usually several years) and so generally have fewer vulnerabilities. Apple also has a slightly better track record with malware in their store, though it is still an issue. Android 3rd party App stores are a complete horror show in my experience.

I work in information security at a relatively large university (~20k staff/students, much BYOD) and I get to deal with the fallout of unpatched phones all the time. It can be quite a mess.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2016, 04:06:41 PM »
I mock people all the time for having outrageously expensive contracts.  People think nothing of paying 100-200 a month for 2-4 lines, and gobs of data.  one guy at work complains he can't reduce his data because his 22 year old kid needs the data, but doesn't chip in for the family bill.  WTF?  In my opinion most people worry too much about the cost of their phone, and not about the cost of plan plus phone.

My wife and I average $35/mo for Ting, but so far none of my shamed targets want to "take the risk" even though there is no contract.

"What if I travel to europe?"  What if you can't afford to go to europe because of your $2.4k/year phone bill...

"But I like streaming Pandora on the way to work."  Ride your bike!  (guy does about 2 days a week, so he has a start...)  Listen to the r-a-d-i-o.

"My stay-at-home wife needs help getting the kids to all their events and crap."  Schedule less crap, don't let your kids doddle so much that they need a ride to school, and ride your bike!

"Wahhhhh!!!"

DW told me of her friends having this very discussion recently. Friends hate the cost of a mainstream branded contract line and phone but won't do anything but continue to pay it. Makes me want to scream at people who complain about being broke but who won't stop spending - and I'm not a screamer. ;)

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2016, 09:21:03 AM »
Everyday someone tells me how crappy my iPhone 5 is and that I need to upgrade already.

Then, I say, "honey! Maybe I will wait for a good update from Apple."

Update:

Day the iPhone 7 came out, my wife got it.
That same day I was now the proud owner of an iPhone 6!

You know what they say, "Don't buy a boat, befriend someone with a boat."  "You don't need to be rich, just have rich friends."

I married the "rich" guy with the boat.

Unbiased observation - the 6 is light speed better than the 5

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2016, 08:56:23 AM »
Some smarter and/or who cares more than me should run the analysis on how much cheaper it is over the long run to get a cheapo phone versus stay at or near the cutting edge.

Reason I'm asking is because I traded in an iPhone 6 for an iPhone 7+ 128GB, a $900 or so phone, and am paying $10/mo for it (have to finance to get the promo price) because I traded in an iphone 6 (gifted to me from work) they gave me $650 for.  I anticipate I'll "pay this phone off" and upgrade to the next big thing in 2 years assuming the economics are similar.  If I do this forever, theoretically I'm always paying $120/yr to have the latest, or 1 gen behind the latest phone, versus every few years laying out $XXX to buy an older model. 

I'm sure I'm spending more, but I'm guessing I'm not spending materially more, certainly not the thousands you guys always quote.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2016, 10:50:49 AM »
You could go for a Samsung Centurion for $30 new ($10 now) and stick with it until it falls apart. Mine is quite usable. Battery life of days.