Author Topic: Being mocked for my iPhone 5  (Read 34049 times)

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
Re: Being mocked for my iPhone 5
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2016, 05:15:37 AM »
My guess is the OP didn't realize that this subject touches a nerve for MMM types...    I worked in the cellular industry for 13 years and know the carrier / handset upgrade game well...   It's a financial drug that produce a "need" that requires a consumable product that vanishes so you must buy more...

Despite some serious lecturing beforehand from dear old Dad, my 18 year old daughter is learning the hard way as she plunked down $800 cash from hourly baby sitting jobs to upgrade to a "6".   I went to the cell phone carrier's store and explained to her the time value of that $800 to her future self, and showed her a way to a free smart phone by buying a used or prepay phone and swapping SIMs.   But the foolish pride of youth took over her soul and she paid for the 6.   The good news in this story is she's made a couple of "buyer's remorse" comments since..   When the 6 dies in 18 months or so, we'll revisit this lesson to make a better choice.   Dad will be there to be sure of it.

Cottonswab

• Stubble
  • Occasional Advice Dispensary
    • My Journal
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2016, 07:02:51 AM »
This thread makes me sad because it seems to bring out the worst aspects of Mustachianism--the need to mock anyone who hasn't regressed to the lowest possible mean (or reached the highest possible ideal, if you prefer).

Someone posts about comments that people made about his iPhone 5, then a series of posts about how that itself is mock worthy, to the point where the only achieved ideal is the person who has never heard of the telephone.

It reminds me of a comment someone made on the main blog when MMM said that he paid $60 for some bike tune up or service, and the criticism was why couldn't you do it yourself.  Um--because he's rich, and maybe it was worth $60 to let someone else do it.  I saw another recent criticism on how MMM is a fraud because he takes an annual trip to South America, so how can he say he actually gives a crap about the environment.

I get why we have these comments, because there really is a stripping down of unnecessary fluff as part of the MMM process.  But the tendency of each thread like this to devolve to who can survive on the least makes it an unwelcoming place for anyone that has not achieved what someone else has considered to be the ideal.  It becomes like the cool hipster collection of cheap.

For the record, I don't pay for a phone and haven't for 2 years since discovering MMM.  My work gave me an iPhone 5 (of all things), and that's what I use because it's free.  I think it's always a worthwhile discussion when people are calculating costs and figuring out where to save to consider cutting back on phone service.  But when it becomes criticizing people who paid $50 for a phone versus $25, I think we turn this forum into a very unwelcoming place.

^+1

If your self-esteem is highly correlated with your phone ownership choices, you might want to seriously reconsider your values and priorities. 

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2016, 08:23:17 AM »
OP here! I absolutely didn't expect to create such a debate about cell phones! Another reason to hate them, they make smart, sensible folks get all riled up!

At the end of the day many of us have our smart phones because of our jobs, others like to read online news or blogs and enjoy the convenience of a computer in our pockets. Who cares how old it is or if it's from Apple or an Android? 10 years ago I would have cared about what type of phone I had, now I couldn't care less and if I am honest that may be why I found the comments from colleagues so hard hitting. That was me back in the day and it's made me so very grateful that my priorities have shifted so much for the better and away from materialism. 

Oh and I love that so many refer to me as 'he'! I'm a woman! I know it's not in my username or photo but just got a chuckle out of it.

Thank you for everyone's comments, enjoyed the debate!

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2016, 08:54:57 AM »
Those clowns are succumbing to the primitive, competitive urges of the limbic brain. They need to evolve.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2016, 09:20:05 AM »
I had the following experience:

Client: "Sometimes I don't know how I ever lived without my iPhone, but I don't understand why people always want to upgrade."
Me: "I just upgraded to an iPhone from an old Android, because my old phone wasn't compatible with the apps I wanted to use, so you have to upgrade some day. I just upgraded to an old model though - an iPhone 5. I'm behind the times."
Client: "Oh really? I have an iPhone 4! It serves my purposes just fine!"

Old iPhone Face Off. Client wins.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2016, 09:42:26 AM »
Those clowns are succumbing to the primitive, competitive urges of the limbic brain. They need to evolve.

I am confused

Evolve as they need to purchase technology to "keep them up to date"

Or

Evolve as they need to learn that life is more about living with less in a world of more

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2016, 10:28:37 AM »

I am confused

Evolve as they need to purchase technology to "keep them up to date"

Or

Evolve as they need to learn that life is more about living with less in a world of more

The second one. I think technology has a contradictory aspect. On one hand, it's the product of an advanced brain. On the other hand, the development of technology is both stimulated by and stimulates primitive impulses of greed and competition.

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2016, 07:17:59 PM »
My friends used to mock me for being cheap. Then I saw the electric shutoff notice on their coffee table when I came over to visit one time. Their jibes don't seem to bother me much anymore.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2016, 08:36:03 PM »
Occasionally someone will make a comment about my flip phone.

If it's just friendly banter (for example, we insult each other all the time for fun at work), I just laugh along and say I'm too cheap to spend that much money on a phone.

But if it's people who have chosen to be mean, especially if it's directed to someone who's not comfortable defending themselves, that's different.

For them, my answer goes like this, "Some people buy new smart phones every year.  I prefer buying a new rental house each year instead.  Some people buy social status, I buy financial freedom.  How many thousands of dollars in rent does that new smart phone make for you each year?"

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »
You have an IPhone 5, people here would be mocking you for how antimustachian that phone is and you should instead have a flip phone.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2016, 05:41:45 AM »
This thread makes me sad because it seems to bring out the worst aspects of Mustachianism--the need to mock anyone who hasn't regressed to the lowest possible mean (or reached the highest possible ideal, if you prefer).

Someone posts about comments that people made about his iPhone 5, then a series of posts about how that itself is mock worthy, to the point where the only achieved ideal is the person who has never heard of the telephone.

It reminds me of a comment someone made on the main blog when MMM said that he paid $60 for some bike tune up or service, and the criticism was why couldn't you do it yourself.  Um--because he's rich, and maybe it was worth $60 to let someone else do it.  I saw another recent criticism on how MMM is a fraud because he takes an annual trip to South America, so how can he say he actually gives a crap about the environment.

I get why we have these comments, because there really is a stripping down of unnecessary fluff as part of the MMM process.  But the tendency of each thread like this to devolve to who can survive on the least makes it an unwelcoming place for anyone that has not achieved what someone else has considered to be the ideal.  It becomes like the cool hipster collection of cheap.

For the record, I don't pay for a phone and haven't for 2 years since discovering MMM.  My work gave me an iPhone 5 (of all things), and that's what I use because it's free.  I think it's always a worthwhile discussion when people are calculating costs and figuring out where to save to consider cutting back on phone service.  But when it becomes criticizing people who paid $50 for a phone versus $25, I think we turn this forum into a very unwelcoming place.

^+1

If your self-esteem is highly correlated with your phone ownership choices, you might want to seriously reconsider your values and priorities.

Yes.  And what I feel is so often missed here is that this goes both ways.  If your self esteem is tied in to having an iPhone 7, or if your self-esteem is tied in to having a Zach Morris Saved-By-The-Bell car phone (or to having only one rotary phone with a cord in your basement), those things are both problematic.  When value and worth come from possessions, if if it by way of simple possessions instead of fancy, one is paying far to much attention to the Stuff. 

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2016, 08:26:39 AM »
I have a flip phone and zero desire to have an iPhone 3,4,5,6,12 whatever.  Or an iAnything else, I guess.

I guess I'd rather have a multi-million dollar portfolio and a flip phone than be broke ass and chasing the latest iWhatever every 6 months.

Silly me.  Clearly, I just "don't get it."

I think there is a reasonable middle ground...

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2016, 10:59:24 AM »
I wouldn't have a fancy schmancy Samsung Galaxy S6 phone if it wasn't a gift from a relative. I just don't see what's so important about paying a whole lot of extra money to be tracked by Google/Apple/Amazon/Microsoft 24/7 and have the personal information I give them for free sold to third parties for their profit. Then again, I guess I'm just a Luddite fuddy duddy.

Greenway52

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2016, 11:02:37 AM »
Already 3 times this week I have received off the cuff, snobby remarks about the fact that I have an iPhone 5 and not a 6. Just sitting in a meeting today I looked around and everyone has the newest phone. I wear it as a badge of honor. I have not been sucked into material consumerism and will be FIRE before I hit 50. I even bought the phone used.. ha ha!

It's crazy that people care about such meaningless shit so much.

It's interesting how you get so many comments on your phone which isn't even that old. My phone is a Nokia 1600. It's an older phone from 2005 (yes, my phone is 11 years old). It isn't even a flip phone (it's before flip phones), but I don't get that many comments. Partially that's because I rarely take it out, though I do get the odd stare once in a while if I take it out on the subway.

Personally (and this just shows how out of touch I am with respect to phones), I couldn't even tell the difference between an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 6. I know the iPhone 6 is supposed to be a bit bigger than the iPhone 4, but I couldn't tell by seeing a phone if it's an iPhone 4 or an iPhone 6. They all look the same to me.

robtown

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »
My guess is the OP didn't realize that this subject touches a nerve for MMM types...    I worked in the cellular industry for 13 years and know the carrier / handset upgrade game well...   It's a financial drug that produce a "need" that requires a consumable product that vanishes so you must buy more...

Despite some serious lecturing beforehand from dear old Dad, my 18 year old daughter is learning the hard way as she plunked down $800 cash from hourly baby sitting jobs to upgrade to a "6".   I went to the cell phone carrier's store and explained to her the time value of that $800 to her future self, and showed her a way to a free smart phone by buying a used or prepay phone and swapping SIMs.   But the foolish pride of youth took over her soul and she paid for the 6.   The good news in this story is she's made a couple of "buyer's remorse" comments since..   When the 6 dies in 18 months or so, we'll revisit this lesson to make a better choice.   Dad will be there to be sure of it.

Almost identical to my daughter.    I pointed out the 7 was rumored to come out this month, possibly even today.   The new roll out usually comes with a $100 discount on older models.    She would not wait even two weeks.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2016, 09:36:08 AM »
You guys can facepunch me all you want, but I'm 99% sure I'm buying an iPhone 7.  I've carried a work-issued iPhone for the past 4+ years, and not had my own phone.  Now I'm changing jobs, obviously losing my work phone, and will be phone less.  As mentioned, my phone is my primary (as in 95%+) method of using the internet, etc.  I'm less confused with having the latest and greatest for image sake, and more concerned with losing on the back end as far as not being able to upgrade OSs and all the tangible benefits thereof (app compatibility, security, etc) when Apple decides to change things around in 3 years.  So yeah, point laugh and ridicule, but I fully expect to order the new phone when it becomes available.  No, I won't be sleeping outside to get it. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2016, 10:56:43 AM »
You guys can facepunch me all you want, but I'm 99% sure I'm buying an iPhone 7.  I've carried a work-issued iPhone for the past 4+ years, and not had my own phone.  Now I'm changing jobs, obviously losing my work phone, and will be phone less.  As mentioned, my phone is my primary (as in 95%+) method of using the internet, etc.  I'm less confused with having the latest and greatest for image sake, and more concerned with losing on the back end as far as not being able to upgrade OSs and all the tangible benefits thereof (app compatibility, security, etc) when Apple decides to change things around in 3 years.  So yeah, point laugh and ridicule, but I fully expect to order the new phone when it becomes available.  No, I won't be sleeping outside to get it.

Just hang onto it until the end of time. Facepunches have an annual depreciation in direct relation to the item you bought.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2016, 11:56:11 AM »
I have a 5 and my wife has a 4.   We get mocked all the time.  I am use to it by now.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2016, 07:16:04 PM »
I can't believe all of you have the internet. I snuck into the public library and am typing to you.  I would use my library card, however, I forfeited all of my resident rights when I moved into an abandoned shed behind the I-402 next to the creek.

kfire20

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2016, 07:17:13 AM »
Yup I get grief for using a 4s

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2016, 08:03:10 AM »
I can't believe all of you have the internet. I snuck into the public library and am typing to you.  I would use my library card, however, I forfeited all of my resident rights when I moved into an abandoned shed behind the I-402 next to the creek.

Look at this fancy fucker and his consumerist shed. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »

I can't help but be reminded of that Monty Python sketch with the four Yorkshiremen: "We used to dream of living in a corridor!"

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
Rockin' the Samsung GS3 here. My ex-gf (who makes far less money, and is always half-broke) just bought a Samsung Note 7 because... um, because? :) The very next day, they announced a huge recall due to exploding batteries! Sometimes* it pays to be behind the upgrade curve...

(* actually, it almost always pays)

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2016, 05:27:46 PM »

Joke is on you butthead.  The shed is actually made of resources that were from the surrounding area.  I believe it was a mine shed that was used by locals in the late 19th century.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2016, 06:23:35 PM »
I just read an article about the new iPhone 7 that had some fairly hilarious comments.  It doesn't have a jack for earbuds.  You have to either use a converter or bluetooth earphones.  You can't charge it and use the converter at the same time.  A few people commented that they use an aux cable to play music in their cars, and you can't do that with the iPhone 7.

So the comments of course, were you must get the iPhone 7 and a new car so you can play music with it.  Get with it, People!

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2016, 06:25:16 PM »
So the new iPhone 7 is out today.  I swear, for each new iteratation of the iPhone, the "features" sound more and more like an article from "The Onion."

Things like this:
The Home button is completely reengineered.

Really?!? It's a freakin' button!

I can't believe people keep eating this stuff up.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2016, 07:16:08 PM »

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2016, 08:16:36 PM »
So the new iPhone 7 is out today.  I swear, for each new iteratation of the iPhone, the "features" sound more and more like an article from "The Onion."

Things like this:
The Home button is completely reengineered.

Really?!? It's a freakin' button!

I can't believe people keep eating this stuff up.

Apple fanbois are certainly annoying. But I find the irrational Apple hatred slightly more annoying. Like this. The technology behind the new phone's home button is legitimately pretty neat. Removing a moving part based button (like they've done on the MacBook trackpads), and replacing it with a solid-state one that maintains the "clicky" feel is technically impressive, but also allows the phone to be waterproof.

That said, I will absolutely not be buying one of these things. I don't find it difficult to simultaneously not purchase the phone, and think some of the changes are interesting.

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2016, 03:39:24 AM »
My favorite aspect of an iPhone is the ease of taking it apart. Also, if you have anything but the newest model, replacement parts are pretty cheap. I have a 5 and screens are about $20, charger ports 10-15, batteries 10-15. Once you pop them open they're pretty easy to work on. Jerryrigeverything is probably my favorite youtube channel.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2016, 11:35:04 AM »
I had a Galaxy S (no number after it), lasted 5 years but eventually just wasn't fast enough to run the latest OS (I rooted and flashed custom ROMs) which eventually also restricts the apps available to you in the app store.  Now have had a Galaxy S5 (picked up for $200 on Ebay) that will last about the same I hope.

bebegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Sleepless in
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2016, 03:55:53 PM »
This is very strange.

Last year I finally decided to buy Iphone. T-mobile had some kind of promotion where I saved $125 total. Anyway, the girl in customer service explained everything in detail and mentioned and showed her iphone 5. She told that she loved the model because it was small and fitted perfectly in her skinny jeans pocket.

BarkyardBQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2016, 04:09:32 PM »
I still have the iPhone 4, "still works AND fits in my pocket" is my standard reply if anyone asks. Just destroyed my screen last month and got it replaced for $49.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2016, 04:48:39 PM »
One reason I'll be using my iphone 5 until it's dead and gone is that it's small enough to use one-handed. I really dislike the trend of phones growing in size - if I wanted a tablet, I'd get a tablet. Not all of us have big hands, or big pockets for that matter. The people who design phones and the people who design women's jeans really need to get together and make a compromise!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2016, 06:05:02 PM »
People lose their shit when they see our flip phones. They were about $50 each, bought in 2013 and 2014, and they should last at least a few more years. At that point we may just be forced to upgrade, because it's getting pretty tough to find these things now - my provider has exactly one non-smartphone option, and I think my boyfriend's had two back in 2013.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2016, 07:01:47 AM »
One reason I'll be using my iphone 5 until it's dead and gone is that it's small enough to use one-handed. I really dislike the trend of phones growing in size - if I wanted a tablet, I'd get a tablet. Not all of us have big hands, or big pockets for that matter. The people who design phones and the people who design women's jeans really need to get together and make a compromise!

You need bigger hands. Evolve or mutate or both. Haven't you heard of these technologies, luddite?
Jeans... Colombian jeans are the best for women. Butt-hugging with sequins and bling to draw male attention and wallets.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2016, 06:53:47 PM »
you need to get the iPhone 7 ASAP and mock them like no other!

medicine tasted!

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2016, 06:02:38 AM »
One reason I'll be using my iphone 5 until it's dead and gone is that it's small enough to use one-handed. I really dislike the trend of phones growing in size

I went from an iPhone 5 to a 6 Plus. It was great for commuting - watched training videos and news at lights. Other than that it was too big for carrying around and for running.

When I retired I unlocked the 5, got Ting, and am much happier with the handling and portability.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2016, 08:19:18 AM »
One reason I'll be using my iphone 5 until it's dead and gone is that it's small enough to use one-handed. I really dislike the trend of phones growing in size

I went from an iPhone 5 to a 6 Plus. It was great for commuting - watched training videos and news at lights. Other than that it was too big for carrying around and for running.

When I retired I unlocked the 5, got Ting, and am much happier with the handling and portability.

Easiest way to spot that this is a lie.

People with iPhones don'tcan't retire.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2016, 09:57:09 AM »
Now you can just say you like having a headphone jack....

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2016, 01:56:27 PM »
I was teaching a college course and explained to the class that I was happy about my new I-pod shuffle purchase. A new model had recently come out with more memory, so the old one was marked down from $50 to $30. It could hold about 500 songs and was great for my jogging. I didn't need the newer one that could hold 2,000 songs.

The entire class got the lesson, except one kid. He kept on mocking me because he claimed the older I-pod shuffle was inferior. He kept on saying, "how is that working out for ya now!"

I kept on repeating. "It works great. I can jog for about one month before the songs start repeating themselves." He ended up dropping the class because he couldn't get a passing grade on any of the exams. He showed up about half the time. Do I let his comments bother me? I don't think so.

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2016, 11:29:04 AM »
I can't believe all ocaf you have the internet. I snuck into the public library and am typing to you.  I would use my library card, however, I forfeited all of my resident rights when I moved into an abandoned shed behind the I-402 next to the creek.

I can't help but be reminded of that Monty Python sketch with the four Yorkshiremen: "We used to dream of living in a corridor!"

We lived in a cardboard box and were GRATEFUL for it!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 03:08:27 PM by Lyssa »

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2016, 02:39:28 PM »
you need to get the iPhone 7 ASAP and mock them like no other!

medicine tasted!

No, be sneaky and skip to an iPhone 9 and gently coo about it. You'll of course need to rebrand your older iPhone and then reskin the UI but that's prob not hard.

dang1

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2016, 04:11:35 PM »
stick a pair of electric toothbrush heads in your ears and tell 'em you got the new apple wireless earbuds

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2016, 09:08:49 AM »
Frantically searching the web for a rotary smart phone...

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2016, 02:43:50 PM »
I just read an article about the new iPhone 7 that had some fairly hilarious comments.  It doesn't have a jack for earbuds.  You have to either use a converter or bluetooth earphones.  You can't charge it and use the converter at the same time.  A few people commented that they use an aux cable to play music in their cars, and you can't do that with the iPhone 7.

So the comments of course, were you must get the iPhone 7 and a new car so you can play music with it.  Get with it, People!

I'm mentally relabeling this model as the iphone jackoff :)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »
Given how many people look down their noses at two-year-old technology, would there be any entertainment value in getting an old-ish smart phone that still works, prettying it up, and passing it off as an elite beta version of something new and whizbang? Smaller, sleeker, more efficient, &c. I wonder how many people simply wouldn't recognize the much older technology and could be tricked into believing it's something impressive.

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2016, 03:24:45 PM »
Just tell them it's an iPhone SE and move along...

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2016, 04:39:36 PM »
People lose their shit when they see our flip phones. They were about $50 each, bought in 2013 and 2014, and they should last at least a few more years. At that point we may just be forced to upgrade, because it's getting pretty tough to find these things now - my provider has exactly one non-smartphone option, and I think my boyfriend's had two back in 2013.

Sounds to me like you are just showing off with your fancy schmancy $50 flip phone.

Mine was $19.99.  :)

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »
You can pretty much do it all on a 100$ Amazon tablet, couple that with a 50$ flip phone and you're in business for far less than most smart phones cost at your 'discounted' carrier price plus contract (as long as you've got a wifi signal at work/home).

I got my Android smartphone for $ 72 shipped via aliexpress.com (-:

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2016, 08:11:53 PM »
Given how many people look down their noses at two-year-old technology, would there be any entertainment value in getting an old-ish smart phone that still works, prettying it up, and passing it off as an elite beta version of something new and whizbang? Smaller, sleeker, more efficient, &c. I wonder how many people simply wouldn't recognize the much older technology and could be tricked into believing it's something impressive.

I heard of an IT Support Tech that had problems with a secretary and her MS Office 2010 (first version of the ribbon interface). Her needs were basic and she couldn't cope with the new menus so the story goes.

He installed OpenOffice or LibreOffice and just turned off the startup splash screen. Set the default file types and told her it was an upgrade. She was happy. So the story went...

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!