Author Topic: Being mocked for my iPhone 5  (Read 34054 times)

Eurotexan

• Stubble
Being mocked for my iPhone 5
« on: August 31, 2016, 08:59:25 PM »
Already 3 times this week I have received off the cuff, snobby remarks about the fact that I have an iPhone 5 and not a 6. Just sitting in a meeting today I looked around and everyone has the newest phone. I wear it as a badge of honor. I have not been sucked into material consumerism and will be FIRE before I hit 50. I even bought the phone used.. ha ha!

It's crazy that people care about such meaningless shit so much.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
Re: Being mocked for my iPhone 5
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:22:36 PM »
Wow. I've been mocked for my old school crappy, non-smart, flip phone. But that makes sense to me. Not many people seem to have non-smart cellphones nowadays.

Mocking people for having an older model smartphone is just ridiculous.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 11:47:29 PM »
That's pretty rude of people to mock someone else for their choice of phone! I have a 5s (purchased used), and plan to run it into the ground.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 12:09:35 AM »
Until this July, I had an iPhone 4.  Not 4GS, just 4.  Purchased used.  No one ever mocked me or commented in any way, or even really noticed.  Weird that you've had 3 people in a week.  I don't tune in especially frugal circles at all, but somethings I wonder about the stories posted here because they are often so contrary to my experiences, where no one really talks shit about my crappy car or phone, or my choice to live in a smaller house than nearly everyone with whom I associated, or anything like that.  I must be very lucky or something, I guess.

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 12:53:37 AM »
I'd mock you for it too, not because it's not the latest model but because that particular model is shite.

Should have bought a cheaper, higher spec'd android phone of the same generation.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 12:58:04 AM »
Some people are just jerks.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 01:05:15 AM »
LOL. I have a 4.

stylesjl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 01:39:23 AM »
I don't even have a smart phone. I just have a dumb phone and it's pink and nobody has ever given me shit for it before.

kina

• Pencil Stache
  • sea urchin currency
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 03:50:30 AM »
I have a dumb phone, too. Nice to know I'm in good company!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 04:08:30 AM »
Already 3 times this week I have received off the cuff, snobby remarks about the fact that I have an iPhone 5 and not a 6. Just sitting in a meeting today I looked around and everyone has the newest phone. I wear it as a badge of honor. I have not been sucked into material consumerism and will be FIRE before I hit 50. I even bought the phone used.. ha ha!

Sorry... but if you have an iPhone (of any variety) I think it means you have been sucked into material consumerism :D

Plenty of other phones out there that do the same things without the sticker price.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 06:18:12 AM »

Sorry... but if you have an iPhone (of any variety) I think it means you have been sucked into material consumerism :D

Plenty of other phones out there that do the same things without the sticker price.

I call BS on this like everyone else. The OP didn't rush out and buy the latest and greatest iPhone just because it was released. It is a used phone that continues to operate as the user needs.

ON ANOTHER NOTE...can anyone shed some light on why Android "fanboys" feel the constant need to mock Apple users as lemmings and the like? I've used both but prefer Apple because as the OP said "IT JUST WORKS" and my Androids did not. Even with this experience I am still enough of an adult to realize that there is no reason for me to make broad generalizations about someone or a group of people just because of the brand of technology that they happen to use. This thread was started to discuss if other mustachians have been mocked for using old technology not praising the all mighty iPhone.

Pipe Down Chachi!

...end rant...

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 06:29:49 AM »
Hmm.. wasn't expecting to start such debating!

Just to clarify on the comment that I have given into such crazy consumerism.. I paid $50 for the phone from a friend who was upgrading (now that's crazy consumerism to give up a perfectly good phone just because the latest iPhone has come out but there are plenty of posts on THAT subject on the boards!). I get a phone allowance from work so each month I receive about $25 for having a phone. Pretty frugal if you ask me!

Not interested in Androids as why would I spend money when this cute, sleek like iPhone 5 does the job perfectly for what I need it for.

I agree that 3 comments in a week are crazy but I work with a lot of $30K millionaires who blow money on stupid shit like new iPhones all the time.

I'll look even more frugal later this month when the new iPhone 7 comes out... I wear my 5 with a badge of honor!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 06:30:28 AM »
Yet another reason not to own a cellphone at all. . .

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 06:33:55 AM »
I had an Iphone 4 because it was the "free" phone offered with my last contract.  I got rid of it about 6 months ago and now have an Android that cost $60 (with bonus "jawbone" fitness tracker, which we sold for $20).  $60 was the TOTAL price of the phone- to own free and clear.  Husband has had his for more than a year and is still happy with it.

Pretty sure your friends would mock me quite a bit. An Iphone 5 is quite an "upgrade" to me.  I hate the Iphones though. Or maybe just because mine had so little memory. But I love being able to put a card in to get tons of space.

(Hey- it's actually on sale now for $40! https://www.walmart.com/ip/Verizon-HTC-526-Prepaid-Smartphone-w-Bonus-Jawbone/47090199)

The only thing I've noticed about this phone compared to pricier models is that it doesn't have a built in compass. So to use navigation, you have to start moving so it can see the direction you move in.  And if you play Pokemon go you can't use AR because it can't tell the direction you are facing.  This has not negatively affected my life.

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 06:49:13 AM »
I have an IPhone 4, or maybe 4S. I can't even tell the models apart. With a case, I don't understand how your co-workers can even notice a difference between the different models.

Dancing Fool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 06:49:39 AM »

We really need to make #KeepDallasPretentious a thing. I'm a fellow Dallas resident and find it amusing / endearing, but it's a little ridiculous.

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 06:50:45 AM »

You are absolutely right. I am so happy there were no cellphones when I was growing up. I need mine for work but once I'm FIRE... it's gone!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 07:38:57 AM »
I've dropped my 1-yo Republic Moto G so many times that part of the touch screen is actually missing and it's rather surprising that it even works at this point. Pretty sure if any more of the fragmented pieces fall off, it actually will be unusable. Oddly enough, nobody gives me shit for it, even at work.

Even more ironic, the only friend I've ever had give me shit for keeping a crappy phone too long is by far the brokest mofo around, and I mean far below poverty level.

Frugal D

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 07:44:36 AM »
Mockers gonna mock.

It's ok, though. You can mock them when you FIRE and they still have to work their meaningless jobs so they can continue to buy useless ish that allows them to mock others who don't spend like they do.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 07:55:48 AM »
Well I'm glad I don't have your acquaintance set OP.  If the mock you for an iPhone 5 they would probably beat me for this 6+ year old crackberry I'm typing this post on.  One of these years I will get something newer but as long as its working and the battery life remains adequate I just don't see the need.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 08:08:42 AM »
Am going to run my $10 Android into the ground. Am actually thinking about downgrading the next time 'round to no phone at all. There is a fair amount of time I forget to charge it and I just carry it anyhow. It died yesterday and while reading this thread I remembered I did not charge it last night and my charge cord is at home. Not important.

Next time someone makes fun of your budget phone point out that they ought to see your boat/motorcycle/vacation home/etc. Just make something up.

I think most people could get by just fine without a $1000 play pretty (the cost of the phone via contract) with an annual cost of $1000 or more for service. Just seems like a silly expenditure for most folks who do nothing more than play on social media and make calls. Yes SOME folks make good use of the smart phone as a tool.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 08:12:34 AM »

Look inside yourself, grasshopper. Could this be a case of mocking that which you covet?  It's crazy that you care so much about "such meaningless shit". Reframe the picture. Compliment yourself for your good judgement if you must notice the shiny objects of others. Better still, learn how not to notice.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 08:37:08 AM »
haha, I have a 5c and I get made fun of a lot too. Doesn't really bother me. I'm going to run this thing into the ground. I had an SVP come up to us the other day and ask if I had posted on Slack at work. I said I don't have the App, I have limited space for Apps on my 16GB phone, so I have to be choosy. He looked at me like I was crazy. If he wants to buy me an Iphone 6s with 64GBs I'll gladly download and post to Slack, lol.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 09:02:32 AM »

Not owning a cell phone (smartphone, really) isn't an option for many people who are still working.

Of course, my company gives me $45 a month towards my phone bill, and my bill is only $40- so that's nice :)

They would buy me a pretty Iphone 6 and pay the entire bill, but it cannot be used for any personal use at all if you don't BYOD.

Eurotexan

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 09:12:43 AM »

Look inside yourself, grasshopper. Could this be a case of mocking that which you covet?  It's crazy that you care so much about "such meaningless shit". Reframe the picture. Compliment yourself for your good judgement if you must notice the shiny objects of others. Better still, learn how not to notice.

Do I covert a shiny new iPhone 6? Um.. no. Could I go out and buy one today if I wanted? Absolutely but I have much better uses for my money ie adding to the stash.  You may have missed my point which was the sad state of affairs when people put so much importance on possessions that they notice these things. Maybe this was a better post for 'Share your badassity' ;)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 09:18:31 AM »

I wonder if those two things are related. 

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 09:19:37 AM »
I have never owned an Iphone, I plan to never own one...

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 09:20:05 AM »
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4.  Twice this week I've been told that it's time I get a new phone. 

I don't care, though.  I just smile.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 09:21:06 AM »
Bahahaha.  I have some kind of Motorola Droid phone, smartphone with touchscreen.  I don't know what it is, and no one else ever knows anyway, so there's no laughing at me.  I've only ever known adults (not: not high schoolers-they notice everything) to know the newest iPhone, not anything else.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 09:23:46 AM »

I call BS on this like everyone else. The OP didn't rush out and buy the latest and greatest iPhone just because it was released. It is a used phone that continues to operate as the user needs.

ON ANOTHER NOTE...can anyone shed some light on why Android "fanboys" feel the constant need to mock Apple users as lemmings and the like? I've used both but prefer Apple because as the OP said "IT JUST WORKS" and my Androids did not. Even with this experience I am still enough of an adult to realize that there is no reason for me to make broad generalizations about someone or a group of people just because of the brand of technology that they happen to use. This thread was started to discuss if other mustachians have been mocked for using old technology not praising the all mighty iPhone.

Pipe Down Chachi!

...end rant...
It used to be that many Android OS phones, especially the flagship Samsung Galaxy phones, were able to be fully disassembled and re-assembled at home. More important than that, you've been able to access things like expandable SD memory ports, and the battery compartment. That means you could purchase an Android phone with limited internal memory cheap, and then add memory to the unit for an affordable price as needed for unlimited storage. Apple however, chose not to allow consumers to upgrade their memory using SD expansion ports, instead they simply forced buyers to either A) Enter the apple "Cloud" ecosystem or B) Pay more money, LOTS more money, for an upgrade thats otherwise cheap on Android phones.

However, aside from the battery/SD access, most modern flagship phones like the Galaxy series can no longer be taken apart at home and re-assembled properly. Samsung has announced they will be starting a used phone refurbishing program to re-sell high end used phones at a discount, so you'll still have a cheaper alternative to a brand new phone, but they're no longer DIY repairable.

My animosity towards apple is their constant push to lock you into their ecosystem, to buy from iTunes and suffer their shitty software updates slowing your PC down 24/7, to use their cloud services and pay more for data every month, or to ditch your cell phone all together because you can't buy a battery replacement for it and it no longer holds a charge. Its their price gouging as a corporate policy under the guise of being "exclusive" when in reality they're simply being strategic about screwing you into a more expensive upgrade/option/service.

I personally own a Samsung Galaxy S4 I purchased 4 or 5 years ago for 200$ during my shitty AT$T contract before switching to Ting. The USB board went bad and I could no longer charge it, so I went on amazon and purchased a 5 dollar USB board replacement and kit, and a 12 dollar OEM battery replacement. I disassembled the phone, pried the back off, removed the old USB board and replaced it with the new one, hooked up all the cables again with tweezers, then re-assembled the phone and installed my new battery. Now it works just like new! All for 17$ worth of parts and a couple minutes of my time to extend the life of my old phone.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:28:02 AM by Digital Dogma »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 09:36:17 AM »
I'm not interested in an Android vs. iPhone fight, I've had both and there are pros and cons of each, but what is tiresome is the Android devotees here slamming the iPhone as spendy or consumerist while giving a pass to Android.  Last I check, the latest Android cost every bit as much as the latest iPhone, and sometimes more. 

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 09:40:46 AM »
I'm actually incredibly surprised by this.

On another board I read, mostly with 20-something's, there was a thread about whether they'd buy the iPhone 7.

It was almost unanimous that no, they were all only Apple's ploy here with releasing phones that were marginal upgrades and they weren't falling for the hype. A good portion of them were still using iPhone 5's, with a lot of 6's as well. I should point out that the community there is HUGE on consumerism. I was incredibly shocked to see the reaction, which makes me even more surprised to see you being mocked for having a 5.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 09:45:30 AM »

Not owning a cell phone (smartphone, really) isn't an option for many people who are still working.

Of course, my company gives me $45 a month towards my phone bill, and my bill is only $40- so that's nice :)

They would buy me a pretty Iphone 6 and pay the entire bill, but it cannot be used for any personal use at all if you don't BYOD.

Not owning a cellphone is an option for an awful lot of people, they just don't consider it.

You yourself have no need to own a cellphone.  You just said that your work would buy you one and pay the costs for it.  No need for ownership on your part.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 09:50:49 AM »

Not owning a cellphone is an option for an awful lot of people, they just don't consider it.

You yourself have no need to own a cellphone.  You just said that your work would buy you one and pay the costs for it.  No need for ownership on your part.

But too often this group fixates on the cell phone to the exclusion of other factors.  For the last few years, my wife and I have used our cell phones almost exclusively to connect to the internet for personal use (outside of work).  Yes, cell phones are somewhat expensive, but so are laptops, iPads, etc etc.  So if people are using a cell phone and avoiding the cost of purchasing a computer/tablet/etc, it may not be much more expensive than no cell phone and a nice computer, etc.

That presumes we are reasonable people and thing access to the internet and communications are a given and a necessity, as they are for most people.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 10:15:18 AM »

But too often this group fixates on the cell phone to the exclusion of other factors.  For the last few years, my wife and I have used our cell phones almost exclusively to connect to the internet for personal use (outside of work).  Yes, cell phones are somewhat expensive, but so are laptops, iPads, etc etc.  So if people are using a cell phone and avoiding the cost of purchasing a computer/tablet/etc, it may not be much more expensive than no cell phone and a nice computer, etc.

That presumes we are reasonable people and thing access to the internet and communications are a given and a necessity, as they are for most people.

You can pretty much do it all on a 100$ Amazon tablet, couple that with a 50$ flip phone and you're in business for far less than most smart phones cost at your 'discounted' carrier price plus contract (as long as you've got a wifi signal at work/home).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 10:30:58 AM »

I don't have to own one, but I do have to HAVE one. 

If I didn't have a cell phone, I'd need to have a home phone, so it makes very little sense to not have a cell phone when the company pays more than my bill- home phone service in my area is not inexpensive because we have so few choices.  If I have a company phone I am not permitted to make personal calls, texts, emails, or have any personal apps.  It isn't a viable option for communication.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2016, 10:42:02 AM »
I'm not interested in an Android vs. iPhone fight, I've had both and there are pros and cons of each, but what is tiresome is the Android devotees here slamming the iPhone as spendy or consumerist while giving a pass to Android.  Last I check, the latest Android cost every bit as much as the latest iPhone, and sometimes more.
They really are basically the same now cost-wise.

The cheapest iPhone (SE) is $399 new, and there are new Android phones all the way down to $40 or so.  You can sidestep that on the Apple side by buying used older iPhones, but many don't.  Apple's phones tend to be supported much longer though too (iPhone 5 still has the most recent iOS), so they theoretically have a much longer life (as long as the battery isn't too badly beaten up).

And as far as the OS itself goes, each update of one makes it more like the other to the point that there's really very little difference between them now.

They can each be equally useful or equally stupid.  But Mustachians have a tendency (myself included) to target whatever's viewed as a "premium" product, and Apple's good at giving that impression.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2016, 11:10:48 AM »
My buddy has a iphone 3, he couldn't give less of a shit what other people think.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 09:16:14 PM »
I just realized that husband is, as of late, pretty damn mock-wrothy.  We got to Japan and could not get service for any iPhone older than a 6.  I'm not interested in switching away from the Apple platform, and we looked for a week or so and couldn't find anyone selling, so we got new iPhone 6 phones. I wanted the SE, but there was monthly long wait list. Then, his work bought a brand new phone for him, for which they pay for service.  Having them just chip in a few bucks toward his cell plan is not an option, for security reasons.  To he actually walks around with *2* brand new (less than two months old for now) iPhones.  He hates it, both because it looks kind of douchy and because it's a pain to have to carry 2 phones, but there wasn't another great alternative.  He's strictly forbidden from using the work phone for *anything* personal. 

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2016, 06:40:15 AM »

Yes, I couldn't agree more.

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2016, 08:58:23 AM »
I own a dumb phone as well. For business I've been provided with a BlackBerry and that's all smartphone I need.

When noticing my private phone one of my bosses told me 'Samsung called, the want their museum piece back!'. I replied 'I'll keep that. Lasts a week without charging. How about your IPhone?'.

And that was the end of this conversation.

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2016, 09:20:23 AM »
This thread makes me sad because it seems to bring out the worst aspects of Mustachianism--the need to mock anyone who hasn't regressed to the lowest possible mean (or reached the highest possible ideal, if you prefer).

Someone posts about comments that people made about his iPhone 5, then a series of posts about how that itself is mock worthy, to the point where the only achieved ideal is the person who has never heard of the telephone.

It reminds me of a comment someone made on the main blog when MMM said that he paid $60 for some bike tune up or service, and the criticism was why couldn't you do it yourself.  Um--because he's rich, and maybe it was worth $60 to let someone else do it.  I saw another recent criticism on how MMM is a fraud because he takes an annual trip to South America, so how can he say he actually gives a crap about the environment.

I get why we have these comments, because there really is a stripping down of unnecessary fluff as part of the MMM process.  But the tendency of each thread like this to devolve to who can survive on the least makes it an unwelcoming place for anyone that has not achieved what someone else has considered to be the ideal.  It becomes like the cool hipster collection of cheap.

For the record, I don't pay for a phone and haven't for 2 years since discovering MMM.  My work gave me an iPhone 5 (of all things), and that's what I use because it's free.  I think it's always a worthwhile discussion when people are calculating costs and figuring out where to save to consider cutting back on phone service.  But when it becomes criticizing people who paid $50 for a phone versus $25, I think we turn this forum into a very unwelcoming place.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2016, 10:14:30 AM »
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4.  Twice this week I've been told that it's time I get a new phone. 

I don't care, though.  I just smile.

I don't get mocked for my 4 year old S3 too much because, well, I'm the boss in my office.  That being said, on the rare occasion I drop my phone in front of someone who knows my spending habits they will joke "guess you finally need to get a new phone." They get that impression because it appears that my phone just split into three parts.  I get the last laugh because that's the $10 case I bought coming apart on impact which I can just slap back together. 

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2016, 10:59:07 AM »
It is also worth noting that each phone release has come with increased 'Bands' of use.  If you have a older iphone and a high data plan you could be wasting your money monthly.  As for the iPhone 5 there are less LTE bands you can use that will limit the amount of 4G/LTE service you have access to.

iphone 4 -> 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900; 3G: HSDPA 850/900/1900/2100
iphone 5 -> 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900, 3G: HSDPA 850/900/1700/1900/2100, 4G: LTE (Extremely Limited & carrier dependent)
iphone 6 -> 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900, 3G: HSDPA 850/900/1700/1900/2100, 4G: LTE 700/800/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600

4G network speeds: up to 1 GBit/second download; 500 Mbits/second upload
3G network speeds: up to 14.4 Mbits/second download; 5.8 Mbit/second upload
2G network speeds: max transfer speed of 1 Mbits/second

*I use an andriod phone/Samsung myself

frogger

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2016, 11:12:45 AM »
I rock an iPhone 5S, which I got in 2014 right before the 6 came out (which is too big for my hands, so no loss). It was newer than I'd wanted at the time, but I'm planning to keep it a few more years yet. But my mom lucked out (or not, depending on your perspective) when I handed over my old iPhone 3GS from 2011 for free--she still loves her "new" smartphone!

I did have a friend tell me it's time to upgrade now that my phone is two years old, because I "deserve it". I declined.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »
I have a flip phone and zero desire to have an iPhone 3,4,5,6,12 whatever.  Or an iAnything else, I guess.

I guess I'd rather have a multi-million dollar portfolio and a flip phone than be broke ass and chasing the latest iWhatever every 6 months.

Silly me.  Clearly, I just "don't get it."

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2016, 06:19:02 PM »
My buddy has a iphone 3, he couldn't give less of a shit what other people think.

I also have an iphone 3. $10 a month for more call minutes than I ever need on airvoice wireless, free texting with imessaging, and I'm pretty much always somewhere with wifi, so no need for a data plan. Works fine.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2016, 07:30:44 PM »
Everyday someone tells me how crappy my iPhone 5 is and that I need to upgrade already.

Then, I say, "honey! Maybe I will wait for a good update from Apple."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 08:09:07 AM by SeaEhm »

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2016, 09:08:08 PM »
I've got an iPhone 4s. Gets the job done just fine, though the battery is starting to show its age. It should last until the iPhone 7 is out and I can snag a cheap 6 or 6s to use for the next 4-5 years.
Smartphones are incredibly useful for my job, so I'll pay the extra cost over a flip phone.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2016, 10:29:47 PM »

I also have an iphone 3. $10 a month for more call minutes than I ever need on airvoice wireless, free texting with imessaging, and I'm pretty much always somewhere with wifi, so no need for a data plan. Works fine.

have a  3gs but use it as as a touch.    wondering how long I can use it as a phone since I don't have a plan at this time.