Author Topic: Begging from your Benz  (Read 6173 times)

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
Begging from your Benz
« on: May 23, 2015, 09:20:02 PM »
I didn't feel like going home today after I left work so I wandered on downtown.  I'm glad I did because I got to witness a woman hanging out the window of her car new-looking Mercedes-Benz begging passing pedestrians for money.  "Anything you can do to help. Please, we're truly desperate. Please, anything."  Good luck lady...

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Begging from your Benz
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 07:54:49 AM »
That's so crazy. At one time a coworker and his family were living in their Mercedes. During work hours his family would be sitting in it in the parking lot. This was in a very hot part of the country.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 04:23:14 PM »
Anyone can have a sudden reversal of fortune, but it just doesn't make sense to load up on luxury items without first becoming financially stable and able to ride out most of the minor stuff.

Last week I saw what looked like a 10-year-old kid out panhandling out on a median with wearing a school backpack and with a couple adults in sight (that's the latest fashion, panhandling with kids since they're out of school). She was holding a sign describing how her dog needed expensive surgery.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 06:51:36 PM »
Anyone can have a sudden reversal of fortune

This is true, but if someone doesn't have the presence of mind or responsibility to sell their luxury car before resorting to panhandling, there's a pretty serious problem there.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 07:10:22 PM »
You assume they own it in the first place. I've no idea how to sell a leased vehicle I've stopped paying on and never hope to learn.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:13:08 AM »
Last week I saw what looked like a 10-year-old kid out panhandling out on a median with wearing a school backpack and with a couple adults in sight (that's the latest fashion, panhandling with kids since they're out of school). She was holding a sign describing how her dog needed expensive surgery.

In my neck of the woods having kids panhandle is so common.  They do it for sports teams, dance teams, cheerleading, anything.  It drives me nuts because these small kids are walking between cars at major intersections.  Also, it drives me nuts that these kids are just asking for money.  When I had to fund raise, we had to do bake sales, car washes, raffles, etc.  We couldn't just beg for money.

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 09:38:45 AM »
New looking and actually new could mean very different things. Even a 10-20 year old Mercedes depending on model looks extremely similar to brand new. The car could only be worth a few thousand at best. If well cared for and reliable it may not make sense to sell the only reliable transportation they have if it means not being able to get to work or interviews. Replace Mercedes with Taurus or Malibu. Still absurd though.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 04:18:38 PM »
New looking and actually new could mean very different things. Even a 10-20 year old Mercedes depending on model looks extremely similar to brand new. The car could only be worth a few thousand at best. If well cared for and reliable it may not make sense to sell the only reliable transportation they have if it means not being able to get to work or interviews. Replace Mercedes with Taurus or Malibu. Still absurd though.

Yeah. My parents had a Mercedes when I was ~16. It was several years older than I was. They paid $3500 for it. And then paid about 5 times that much in repairs over the next few years. It burned oil and had other problems. It would smoke like crazy.

southernhippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 09:24:10 AM »
They deserve that Mercedes because that is what they want.  Nevertheless they can't afford food and other necessities. lol

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 01:50:03 PM »

In my neck of the woods having kids panhandle is so common.  They do it for sports teams, dance teams, cheerleading, anything.  It drives me nuts because these small kids are walking between cars at major intersections.  Also, it drives me nuts that these kids are just asking for money.  When I had to fund raise, we had to do bake sales, car washes, raffles, etc.  We couldn't just beg for money.

Me don't buy Girl Scout cookies coz dem Girl Scouts never did bake dem goodies. Dem mommies be da onez who be pickin' up dem cookiez from da local warehouse depot in dem mommy wagonz. Same for dem mommies and daddies who come to work and panhandle for their kids, aksin me to buy dat korprate preservative-filled cookies, cooky dough, and chee'cake.

But I always patronize my neighborhood kids who take the time and effort to make their lemonade or brownies and set up a stand in the terrible summer heat braving the mosquitoes, no matter how bad the product. I reward the real entrepreneurs. And yes, high school kids suck at washing cars but I'll support them. Especially if they need money to science/math competitions.

I support Future Geeks and Nerds of America! STEM, baby, STEM.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:52:49 PM by jinga nation »

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 01:54:59 PM »
They deserve that Mercedes because that is what they want.  Nevertheless they can't afford food and other necessities. lol

Yes. Because Image is Everything TM. It won't feed you but sure will make you feel like a Boss.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!