Author Topic: because you NEED a $100 electric toothbrush  (Read 11168 times)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
because you NEED a $100 electric toothbrush
« on: April 07, 2016, 07:44:55 AM »
http://deals.kinja.com/the-smartest-toothbrush-youve-ever-seen-is-down-to-100-1769588307

In addition to six different cleaning modes (including one for your tongue), a travel kit, a pressure sensor, and a timer, the Pro 7000 also syncs to an iOS or Android app that tracks your brushing habits and offers personalized feedback.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: because you NEED a $100 electric toothbrush
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 08:13:35 AM »
could my insurance company then subpoena my brushing records saved on my smartphone to deny coverage for dental work due to negligence on my part?

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 08:15:22 AM »
A solution in search of a problem, perhaps?

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »
You really might need this toothbrush.  One of my children inherited weak teeth from her father.  In her elementary and middle school years, she had 1-2 cavities at every 6-month check up; thank goodness some of them fell out with her baby teeth.  I bought her a SonicCare toothbrush when her braces came off, and she's had, I believe, 2 cavities in the last four years. 

Yes, it's expensive, but teeth are priceless. 

On the other hand, I'm in my upper 40s and have one cavity, and I'm not nearly as conscientious about dental hygiene as she is.  A fancy toothbrush isn't a need for me.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 07:58:51 PM »
The $20 battery-operated Sonicare is a great option; both my dental office and I love it. $100 for a toothbrush is more than I'd ever spend, even though I lived through years of orthodontia.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 06:15:51 AM »
You really might need this toothbrush.  One of my children inherited weak teeth from her father.  In her elementary and middle school years, she had 1-2 cavities at every 6-month check up; thank goodness some of them fell out with her baby teeth.  I bought her a SonicCare toothbrush when her braces came off, and she's had, I believe, 2 cavities in the last four years. 

On the other hand, I'm in my upper 40s and have one cavity, and I'm not nearly as conscientious about dental hygiene as she is.  A fancy toothbrush isn't a need for me.

How does this $100 toothbrush give me better cleanings than the plethora of $20-30 options for electric toothbrushes already available?
I agree a good electric toothbrush can be very important for dental hygiene (I use one myself) - but $100...? It's kind of like saying "some people need a car, and safety is very important, so a new Mercedes-Benz isn't a bad idea"

okonomiyaki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »
Actually went to the dentist today, where 2 new cavities were found (even though I floss brush and mouth wash, daily). So I broke down and went and bought the$100 AUD toothbrush, following the reviews here http://www.animated-teeth.com/electric_toothbrushes/oral-b-best-electric-toothbrushes.htm (and that should answer questions about the difference between a manual toothbrush,a $30 electric toothbrush (which is what I used to use) and the $100 model.

I've only tried it once so far, but, yes, I can attest that the intensity of brushing is much stronger than that of the $30 velocity toothbrush.

I'd much rather pay the $100 vs $30 for the brush than the extra money at the dentists (AND keep my teeth, thank you).

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 11:40:55 AM »

How does this $100 toothbrush give me better cleanings than the plethora of $20-30 options for electric toothbrushes already available?
I agree a good electric toothbrush can be very important for dental hygiene (I use one myself) - but $100...? It's kind of like saying "some people need a car, and safety is very important, so a new Mercedes-Benz isn't a bad idea"
It really is better than the $10 electric toothbrushes that last about two weeks.  Given that I'm not using it myself, I can't really give details.  I bought it at the recommendation of my dentist, and we saw a difference in her cavities right away.  I'm not unhappy with the spend.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 11:43:26 AM »

It really is better than the $10 electric toothbrushes that last about two weeks.  Given that I'm not using it myself, I can't really give details.  I bought it at the recommendation of my dentist, and we saw a difference in her cavities right away.  I'm not unhappy with the spend.
ok - i recant my earlier statement.  Perhaps there is something that's mechanically better about this $100 toothbrush than my $30 Bruan one I got at CostCo.
If that's the case and it prevents just one cavity every few years it's worth the price.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 11:55:34 AM »
Cheaper than a filling :)

VaCPA

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 11:56:35 AM »

I agree on the Sonicare. Dentists have told me they clean much better than regular toothbrushes, and teeth are important. Ours has lasted forever but I do have to buy the replacement heads which can be a bit pricey although I started buying generic ones which helps a little. I've never tried one of the cheapo ones so don't know how well they work or how long they last.

retiringearly

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 12:29:43 PM »
I bought my Sonicare years ago.  It is worth every penny to me. 

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 05:13:40 PM »
I have an Oral-B electric toothbrush from Costco and I will never go back. My dentist loves me. $100 is the cost to me if I need a cavity filled, so I figure if it saves me even one cavity, it's worth it.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 05:36:17 PM »
Be cautious about brushing too hard even with an electric toothbrush; hard brushing can destroy your gums, causing them to recede. You want light touch/contact between the brush and your teeth and to let it basically do the "brushing" part as you shift to each tooth surface.

And we just had our $60 Sonicare die this past week, ordered a new one today (on sale for $40 thank goodness). Before using it, even with brushing 3X/day and flossing daily, the husband had cavities and serious plaque buildup, since using it he's had great checkups and minimal buildup.

So no more manual toothbrush, but definitely would not spend $100+ considering the availability of great options at a much lower price point.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 08:08:23 PM »
This toothbrush could have saved me a lot of time, money, and pain.

I had electric toothbrushes, but I started using them before youtube. I.e., I didn't research how to properly use it. Just turned it on and brushed like I would with a normal toothbrush. Also didn't brush long enough (I thought that was part of the reason for getting an electric toothbrush). At the very least, the bluetooth syncing thingie would alert me to the fact that I'm doing SOMETHING wrong.

Anyway, now that a dentist told me the right way to use the Sonicare I have (don't use much pressure, just slowly move the head of the toothbrush across your teeth, paying particular attention to the spot where your teeth meet your gums), everything's much better. Well, after I bought a different dentist a new car.

This is what I use, and when the dentist asks if I'm flossing, he takes my series of grunts and gestures to mean "yes" and not "I did, once, a decade ago". He's happy, I'm happy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL2AOPU/

I paid $15, yours for a mere $10. Add $5 for two rechargeable AAs (I use Eneloops or generics, lasts longer per charge than alkalines). I used to have a standard model that recharged in the base, the batteries died before the rest. The older version of the AA battery Sonicare had some issues with water getting in the battery compartment, but they seem to have fixed it with this version. Still, the last version worked for 3-5 years. Had the newest version for a year, seems to be holding up fine.

Uses the same heads as the more expensive version, brushes just as well, has the same 2 minute timer. The more expensive model has a rechargeable base, can beep at your every 30 seconds (so you know to change quadrants), and I'm sure some other bells and whistles.

mohawkbrah

• Bristles
  • every day they see me hustling those pennies away
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 02:56:55 AM »
just use a manual brush you lazy plebs. if you're getting cavities even if you're "brushing" your teeth twice a day then your'e clearly not brushing them well enough

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 03:05:01 PM »
This is simply not true.
An electric one is mile better than manual, any dentist will tell you so.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »
Another vote for Sonicare, for what it does for your gums and the pockets between your teeth.  They last for years and are well worth it -- and generally I'm not into "gadgets." 

MissGina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 10:56:38 PM »
I have this toothbrush and forgot I paid that much!

My dentist says my gums bleed less during cleanings and I do notice my teeth are whiter too. I would have to say its definitely worth it!

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 11:52:44 PM »
I have an oral b I got for about $40. I forget the regular price, but it is one of the lower midrange models, not one of the super fancy ones. I actually brush my teeth more often now and for the proper amount of time. Even with that, though I still had to go to the dentist for 3 month cleanings due to excessive buildup of plaque and terrible gums. So...I switched to Colgate Total because it has Triclosan. Generally I try to avoid Triclosan and excessive daily antibacterials, but that shit works wonders for my dental health. Next time I went in the hygienist was like, WTF did you do, are you flossing religiously now, etc. And I was like...no I just changed my toothpaste to one that has Triclosan. Never recommended by any dentist I went to, etc. In any case I'm on a 5 month schedule this time and if that checks out will be back to a regular 6 month schedule which is awesome since I no longer have dental coverage and pay cash for visits.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 04:38:46 AM »
I switched to Sonicare years ago. I immediately noticed how cleaner my teeth felt.  One of the best decisions I've made.  Doing much better with dental health. 

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 06:04:30 AM »
I used to feel this way about electric toothbrushes too, but after getting a rash of cavities in my 20's, my dentist recommended a sonicare.  15+ years and no cavities, plus my cleanings have gone from 45 minutes of pain and bleeding gums to 15-20 minutes of pain free light scraping.  My teeth feel 10 times cleaner.  I have had two brushes in that time period.  The first one was pretty expensive, closer to $100 probably, but now they are cheaper.  I think the last one was around $40-50.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 08:01:41 AM »
+100 for Sonicare.  I spend at least 6 extra minutes per day on my gums, and as a result they are knitted more tightly to my teeth, and never bleed.  (I inherited horrible gums and teeth from my mom, who had extensive perio work and lost all her teeth anyway.)  I'm always told I have zero plaque at the dentist, even though I never floss.

I have recently discovered Sonimart brush heads, which are about $7 each.  First generic that's ever been worth a flip.

Don't mess around when it comes to your teeth!

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 12:37:01 PM »
I bought one (Oral-B 2k I think...) at costco. $60 for two of them plus a few extra heads. Teeth feel measurably cleaner, and there are non-stop studies to back this up...

Dental health is very important, and oft overlooked.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 12:46:06 PM »
Sidenote:  Get your replacement heads off of eBay from China.  I'm pretty sure that they come out of the EXACT SAME FACTORY.  The only difference I could tell on close inspection was the brand name wasn't stamped on.  I couldn't tell any difference since using them.  They're like 4 or 5 for $2.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 01:16:19 PM »
Thanks for the tip on sonimart brush heads. 

Kaybee

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2016, 10:46:52 PM »
Chiming in to say that I started using an electric toothbrush and don't regret the money spent.  I'm one of those people who thought that brushing vigorously was good and despite the repeated warnings about my over-doing it from my various dentists (changed dentists due to moving between cities), I couldn't seem to keep my mind on task and NOT brush too hard.  My gums were started to recede so I decided to pony up the money for the recommended toothbrush (its not the super fancy model but it has a pressure sensor so it shuts off if you press too hard).  My teeth are cleaner and my gums aren't suffering from my ruthlessness.  I definitely didn't think it was important before but I'm a convert now!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!