Author Topic: Bank wouldn't let me deposit $100,000 dollars  (Read 15297 times)

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
Bank wouldn't let me deposit $100,000 dollars
« on: April 07, 2018, 07:32:50 PM »
I tried to open a bank account to park $100,000 for emergencies (earthquake, fire, etc).  They said they had to run a credit check on me before they would accept the money.  Since I have frozen access to my credit reports (to avoid identity theft), they said I can't open an account.  I told them but I want to DEPOSIT money, not borrow it. They didn't care. Makes no logical sense.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
Re: Bank wouldn't let me deposit $100,000 dollars
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 07:40:39 PM »
Are we talking physical cash here? Is so, they probably are worried where the money is coming from if there isn't a good paper trail.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 07:43:09 PM »
Deposit $10k at a time?

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 07:44:04 PM »
Banks are required to verify source of funds, identity, etc. If this isn’t a bank you’ve dealt with before, it sounds like they’re just following procedures that are designed to prevent money laundering. I haven’t worked in a bank for quite a few years, but IIRC, any deposit of cash (from an existing customer or not) over 10k required a declaration of source of funds be filled out (Canada).

Anyway, it doesn’t sound off the wall crazy to me.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 07:48:21 PM »
Deposit $10k at a time?

It's a good way to make it into the FBI watch list.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 07:49:14 PM »
But don't deposit slightly less than $10k each time, because that's structuring and can get your entire account seized.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 07:51:15 PM »
But don't deposit slightly less than $10k each time, because that's structuring and can get your entire account seized.

Yeah, God help you if you're in a cash only business that has about $9k/day of sales...

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 09:15:19 PM »
 When we moved from Michigan to Florida we tried to open a bank account with a check from the bank
we deposited the proceeds of our home sale. All we wanted to do was deposit the check. Nope. they would not open an account for us. We went two blocks down the road and opened the account.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 09:42:52 PM »
A) this is a Mustaschian People Problem --- see the thread.
B) Wow, I've taken 100,00 out without a whimper, albeit as a cashier's check,dressed in biker garb, and a bank ID card with no picture, or magnetic stripe.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 06:56:36 AM »
Go to a different bank. You can also remove a credit freeze same day and then reapply it the next day. Last time I applied for a credit card(for the sign up bonus) I was able to do that.

This is strange. I could understand them putting a long hold(7-10 business days) on the deposit since it's a new and a large deposit, but not letting you open the account? 

Possible logical explanation: The banker used the wrong terminology. They weren't going to run a full credit check, but they might use the credit agencies for identity verification purposes. I use to work in a US based bank years ago. When I opened a new account for a brand new client our computer system would verify your SSN matched your current address, last address, full name, drivers license number, etc. The system didn't run a full credit check, but I believe it collected all of that information from the credit agencies.

If someone didn't pass that test, for instance due to a frozen credit file, then we could still open the account the old school way. In addition to your government issued ID, you would need to show us your social security card, and 2 bills(utility, cable, credit card, etc.) with your name and address on them.

rob/d

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Grumpy ? me ?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 03:07:30 AM »
 U.K banks are the same .
 Anything above £20K and all hell lets loose including putting money in.
 I personaly think my local banks are used to people having sweet F.A. and it throws them .
 I am aware that  banks have money laundering protocols and fraud prevention scripts to follow.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 03:11:01 AM by rob/d »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 04:13:56 AM »
This is one situation where I would question why you are being difficult with the Bank (the customer is not always right).

The Bank has a set of established procedures for opening an account. You chose not to follow them, therefore they rejected you.

I'm not seeing how this is the Bank's fault here...

Yeah, God help you if you're in a cash only business that has about $9k/day of sales...

It would be highly unusual for a business to gross over $3 million cash sales a year without any other deposits (cheque, credit or debit cards).

Banks (and the tax offices) are getting rather good at sussing out what the financials "should" look like for the average business. Given thousands of data points, it's not hard to deduce outliers and focus attention on them...

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 06:18:50 AM »
Open an account with the minimum deposit, then wire transfer the rest.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 07:35:30 AM »
Deposit $10k at a time?

It's a good way to make it into the FBI watch list.

I figure the government is watching us all anyway. 

I'd just unfreeze my credit to open the initial account, honestly.  But if you really didn't want to, make a smaller deposit to open the account, then put the rest in. 

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 07:57:30 AM »
It's pretty simple. Unfreeze your credit. Allow them to run a credit check. Once you have done that, re-freeze your credit accounts. Then they will allow you to open an account.

I ran into the same maddening thing, where I froze the heloc on our house, because I am going through a divorce. I'm also renovating the kitchen. To unfreeze, we both had to go into the bank and sign papers. At the time we did that, they said it would take a week. Week goes by. I contact them. they need more information. Our income tax returns. Our W-2's. Our last pay stubs. We do all that and they are still hemming and hawing. They now need ex to have his landlord write a letter. At that point I say forget it. Ps-the heloc for the house is less than 10% the equity in the house. I was going to go ahead and re-open when legally divorced in June, but instead may borrow money from a family member, which is less interest anyways.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 08:19:40 AM »
It would be highly unusual for a business to gross over $3 million cash sales a year without any other deposits (cheque, credit or debit cards).

Banks (and the tax offices) are getting rather good at sussing out what the financials "should" look like for the average business. Given thousands of data points, it's not hard to deduce outliers and focus attention on them...

The various marijuana shops in the states that legalized recreational use have this variety of problem because they are pure cash businesses.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 02:22:18 PM »

The various marijuana shops in the states that legalized recreational use have this variety of problem because they are pure cash businesses.

Yup not to mention that banks can't do business with dispensary's due to marijuana being illegal on the federal level. I believe there are now legal loopholes that have enabled them to bank their money.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 06:36:58 PM »

I'm guessing that is sarcastic, Syonyk?

Because... it isn't structuring if you aren't structuring. They say "what are you doing", you say "per my tax return, I have a business; that business takes in about $9k a day".

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 06:59:40 PM »
Unless you really enjoy the IRS seizing your entire bank account and then having to wage a long and expensive legal battle to get it back, it doesn't matter whether you are actually structuring (requires intent) or just depositing a bit too little money to trigger reporting requirements on multiple occasions.

This old woman with a mexican restaurant had $33,000 seized because she was depositing less than $10k at a time with no suspician of criminal activity (although after months of bad publicity for federal prosecuters she finally got it back).
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/us/law-lets-irs-seize-accounts-on-suspicion-no-crime-required.html

It took this bakery three years to get back $68,000 seized on suspicion of structuring even though no other crime was suspected.
http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/20160526/vocaturas-to-get-seized-money-back-investigation-continues

If I were depositing anywhere close to $10k in cash, I would withdraw and redepositing extra money so I was depositing >$10k and triggering the reporting requirements.

Kyle B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »
The KYC "Know Your Customer" regulations are being rigorously enforced now. 

Also, was it Citibank you tried to open an account at? KYC enforcement at Citibank is off the charts this year. Apparently they are under extra scrutiny by regulators and as a result account holders are kept on a very short leash.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 07:29:58 PM »
America. LOL.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 08:50:29 PM »
Chase let me deposit $50k as a transfer from another bank, but I'm a current customer so wasn't an issue. Try a local credit union?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 09:27:45 AM »
Maybe it was the Armani suit, the sunglasses and the briefcase... ;)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 02:44:03 PM »
Our small business takes in about $15k a month, my wife makes it to the bank about every two weeks.
She's been making deposits of $7,500 to $9,000 for a decade. The deposits also include about 20% checks.
That may help.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 02:07:48 PM »
America. LOL.

I recommend you enter the bank with a gun and yell, "Hands on your keyboards, this is a deposit! I'm handing over the money."
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:10:07 PM by MoMan »

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 02:38:59 PM »
Banks run you through ChexSystems before they open an account. If you have been a bad bank customer in the past (bouncing checks, unpaid fees) there may be a report on you and the bank won't open your account. You can have your ChexSystems profile frozen so that other people can't open a bank account in your name much the way you freeze your credit to prevent people from opening credit cards in your name.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 02:54:24 PM »
America. LOL.

I recommend you enter the bank with a gun and yell, "Hands on your keyboards, this is a deposit! I'm handing over the money."

I can't decide if this would be a felony, or just a really funny prank. I wonder how fast you'd be on your stomach with hands tied behind your back?

Kyle B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 04:25:08 PM »
America. LOL.

I can't decide if this would be a felony, or just a really funny prank. I wonder how fast you'd be on your stomach with hands tied behind your back?

They'd kill you just to be on the safe side.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
America. LOL.

They'd kill you just to be on the safe side.
Unless you're white. Then they'd just call you mentally ill.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2018, 08:15:59 AM »
America. LOL.

Brandishing a firearm inside a bank is probably a crime in most states, though maybe not a felony.

Rocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »
It sounds more like the bank won't create an account for you without a credit check.  The amount of the deposit is irrelevant.  I had the same problem trying to create a DCU checking account.  My credit is frozen and the bank checks with Equifax to establish the account so the application process was on hold until I unfroze Equaifax.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2018, 09:00:01 AM »
stories like this are a big part of why I don't feel bad for having missed out on the big run-up in Bitcoin. If I HAD made $300,000, I wouldn't have had any way to get it into the rest of my financial picture.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »
stories like this are a big part of why I don't feel bad for having missed out on the big run-up in Bitcoin. If I HAD made $300,000, I wouldn't have had any way to get it into the rest of my financial picture.

I can think of half a dozen ways off the top of my head.  You should think more creatively!

The_Dude

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2018, 04:38:49 PM »
Unless you really enjoy the IRS seizing your entire bank account and then having to wage a long and expensive legal battle to get it back, it doesn't matter whether you are actually structuring (requires intent) or just depositing a bit too little money to trigger reporting requirements on multiple occasions.

This old woman with a mexican restaurant had $33,000 seized because she was depositing less than $10k at a time with no suspician of criminal activity (although after months of bad publicity for federal prosecuters she finally got it back).
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/us/law-lets-irs-seize-accounts-on-suspicion-no-crime-required.html

It took this bakery three years to get back $68,000 seized on suspicion of structuring even though no other crime was suspected.
http://www.norwichbulletin.com/news/20160526/vocaturas-to-get-seized-money-back-investigation-continues

If I were depositing anywhere close to $10k in cash, I would withdraw and redepositing extra money so I was depositing >$10k and triggering the reporting requirements.

Read the first article.  That is seriously outrageous!

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2018, 08:54:51 PM »
The OP hurt himself/herself by not putting that money into a bank account as it came in, in the first place. Now bankers worry if this could be considered the proceeds of crime, so now there's a long-term problem. The OP is going to have to use cash for everything they can... which would likely be small purchases.

The government of India did a demonetization exercise a year ago; if you brought that kind of money to a bank you would be charged double the normal tax rate unless you could prove you had already paid taxes on that money. (India's banking system has some unique differences compared to the US or Canada. Lots of people literally rented out bank accounts to the wealthy, as that was cheaper than teh tax rate.)

I think this is a bigger deal than the credit issue. The bank would happily accept a check for that large amount of money (as that leaves an electronic paper trail).

The wire transfer comes from which bank? This is just creating the same problem for the OP all over again. Even if the OP pulled that off, the bank account would probably get frozen until the OP could prove where the cash came from.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2018, 05:29:30 AM »
The OP hurt himself/herself by not putting that money into a bank account as it came in, in the first place. Now bankers worry if this could be considered the proceeds of crime, so now there's a long-term problem. The OP is going to have to use cash for everything they can... which would likely be small purchases.

The government of India did a demonetization exercise a year ago; if you brought that kind of money to a bank you would be charged double the normal tax rate unless you could prove you had already paid taxes on that money. (India's banking system has some unique differences compared to the US or Canada. Lots of people literally rented out bank accounts to the wealthy, as that was cheaper than teh tax rate.)

I think this is a bigger deal than the credit issue. The bank would happily accept a check for that large amount of money (as that leaves an electronic paper trail).

The wire transfer comes from which bank? This is just creating the same problem for the OP all over again. Even if the OP pulled that off, the bank account would probably get frozen until the OP could prove where the cash came from.

I didn't get the sense that it was a cash deposit, and I don't think OP said it was. A domestic wire transfer isn't going to raise any big flags.

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2018, 07:55:43 AM »
I pictured cash because... where was the money beforehand? Didn't the OP already have a bank account they could transfer money to, if they took the money out of investments? If that was the case, then transferring money should have been no problem. A quick "where did this money come from" should suffice, especially if there's an electronic paper trail (eg a check from so-and-so).

Kyle B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2018, 09:38:24 AM »
I pictured cash because... where was the money beforehand? Didn't the OP already have a bank account they could transfer money to, if they took the money out of investments? If that was the case, then transferring money should have been no problem. A quick "where did this money come from" should suffice, especially if there's an electronic paper trail (eg a check from so-and-so).

There is not necessarily any rhyme or reason. I got constant threats to have an account shut down, at a branch I've banked at for over thirty years, over a deposit from a major corporation that had been making similar deposits for four straight years. These monies were never withdrawn -- just allowed to pile up in the account. And I still got threatened and repeatedly investigated.

Don't assume that banks are well run.

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2018, 11:02:35 AM »

There is not necessarily any rhyme or reason. I got constant threats to have an account shut down, at a branch I've banked at for over thirty years, over a deposit from a major corporation that had been making similar deposits for four straight years. These monies were never withdrawn -- just allowed to pile up in the account. And I still got threatened and repeatedly investigated.

Don't assume that banks are well run.

When we moved from Michigan to Florida we tried to open a bank account with a check from the bank we deposited the proceeds of our home sale. All we wanted to do was deposit the check. Nope. they would not open an account for us. We went two blocks down the road and opened the account.

Sometimes banks go berserk, but as BTDretire pointed out, you can just pick a competitor. I don't know if KyleB is in that situation. I live in Canada, and there's five major countrywide banks plus some online banks to choose from. (I understand in the US, there aren't really any nationwide banks, just banks that cover large regions.)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2018, 01:21:51 PM »
I recently transferred exactly $100k between two established accounts at two different banks.  Everything was done by phone (well, I went to the branch in person and the guy there called someone on the phone and did it all for me).  Later when I viewed the statements, there were two transfers:  99,999.99 and 0.01.  I assume they had a limit but thankfully they didn't make it my problem. 

Bliss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2018, 01:32:23 PM »
I recently opened a savings account at Ally Bank. They ran a ChexSystems check and a credit check before opening my account. They would have done the same whether I wanted to deposit $1 or $1 Million. It's likely they needed the credit check to open the new account, not because you wanted to deposit money.

Ocinfo

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2018, 02:09:36 PM »
I recently opened a savings account at Ally Bank. They ran a ChexSystems check and a credit check before opening my account. They would have done the same whether I wanted to deposit $1 or $1 Million. It's likely they needed the credit check to open the new account, not because you wanted to deposit money.

Just did the same thing but they did not do a credit check (not sure about ChexSystems). I’ve had a little used checking account with them for a few years. I was actually happy how easy it was as I had a $30k transfer from Chase and proceeds from a $75k loan (cheaper to take a loan than pay gains on appreciated stock) deposited within days without an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2018, 05:56:07 PM »
...... Later when I viewed the statements, there were two transfers:  99,999.99 and 0.01.  .......

the .01 is probably the verification transfer, as in " I sent it to you, did you get it?
Yes.
Ok, here's 99999.99 coming at ya.

I think I had to do something similar when I linked checking and brokerage accounts.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2018, 10:20:39 AM »
...... Later when I viewed the statements, there were two transfers:  99,999.99 and 0.01.  .......

the .01 is probably the verification transfer, as in " I sent it to you, did you get it?
Yes.

I think I had to do something similar when I linked checking and brokerage accounts.

Yeah the last couple times I've linked some accounts they've made two transfers for random amounts under 25 cents and then asked me to verify the totals to ensure that the money was going to the right place before you can transfer real money. Not a bad system in my estimation.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »

Yes.

I don't think so.  I've had verification amounts transferred before and this was not the same.  it was all done while I sat in a chair on a Saturday.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2018, 12:49:53 PM »
Please tell me you walked in with a metal briefcase full of money handcuffed to your wrist a la James Bond.

I've always wanted to walk into a bank with a metal briefcase full of money handcuffed to my wrist. :-)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2018, 10:11:00 AM »
Please tell me you walked in with a metal briefcase full of money handcuffed to your wrist a la James Bond.

I've always wanted to walk into a bank with a metal briefcase full of money handcuffed to my wrist. :-)

I just added that to my bucket list.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2018, 12:58:58 PM »

I don't think I'd get past security if I tried that, but it's super-fun to imagine!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2018, 02:30:54 PM »

I don't think I'd get past security if I tried that, but it's super-fun to imagine!

I use a credit union. It's do-able.

My problem: where would I get the handcuffs? I know there are "certain stores" that cater to "certain tastes" but aren't all those handcuffs fur-lined?

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2018, 02:37:02 PM »

I use a credit union. It's do-able.

My problem: where would I get the handcuffs? I know there are "certain stores" that cater to "certain tastes" but aren't all those handcuffs fur-lined?
Well, they also come in leather ;)
But otherwise, usually you can pull the fur off and have plain metal ones.