Author Topic: Bank pitches 'savings'  (Read 2358 times)

MilesTeg

• Handlebar Stache
Bank pitches 'savings'
« on: March 03, 2019, 05:05:26 PM »
Just a small funny. I called into my credit union to take care of a small bit if business and after that is concluded I get a sales pitch:

Agent: 'Looking at your accounts or looks like you have our best checking account but we have some other options for savings. Are you looking to save up for anything in the next 2 or 3 years? A house or car or college?'

Me: nah, not looking to make any big purchases for a long time.

Agent: I was talking about a savings not spending!

Me: (in my head: you specifically mentioned saving to buy bug things like a car) no thanks only thing I am looking to save money for is retirement.

Agent: well that's a long way away for you!

Me: maybe! Thanks have a great day

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Bank pitches 'savings'
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 12:16:19 PM »
Maybe they would have suggested some good CD rates?

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
Re: Bank pitches 'savings'
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 11:42:53 AM »
I remember a quote that I read somewhere-- it may have been in "The Millionaire Next Door" that goes something like this:

"People say they want to have a million dollars, but what they actually MEAN is that they want to spend a million dollars, which is the opposite of having a million dollars."

It really stuck with me afterward, the way people have bought into the idea of spend spend SPEND-- even the theoretically great idea of saving what you've got has been twisted around so that you can spend some more.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!