Author Topic: Baby food subscription box.  (Read 3022 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Baby food subscription box.
« on: July 04, 2018, 08:13:22 AM »
$95 every 2 weeks for 20 meals.

https://www.raisedreal.com/faqs/
Holy crap. $4.75 for a toddler size portion.

This is insane. Isit that hard to go to a store and cut up food for a baby? (They don't even puree it for you, so you have to do that yourself if your baby eats purees.)

Makes the 79 cent pouches at Aldi we sometimes splurge on seem like an incredible bargain.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Baby food subscription box.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 01:53:16 PM »
We have never done baby food. The closest I suppose has been when I bought a jar of applesauce since that isn’t normally what we would buy. I read somewhere before my first was born about what they oddly call “baby-led weaning”, which isn’t weaning but just means give babies real food.

Both of my babies had avocado as a first food followed quickly by things like banana, squash, sweet potato, oatmeal, peanut butter, and whole wheat pasta. We have had to lay off the spicy food, which is a bummer, but otherwise it is just easier to have the littles each what we eat.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 04:13:02 PM »
My toddler likes spicy foods, not super hot, but she eats most of what we eat.

We pureed stuff for her, but only bought "baby food" in a pinch. Even now it's sometimes just easier.

This box is "baby led weaning" friendly, because it comes as whole foods. (The weaning is from the bottle... transition to actual food)

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 05:35:45 PM »
Wow. I used to boil up a range of veg (pumpkin, carrot, peas) mash with a fork, and freeze in ice cube trays. Add in some baby rice cereal, or mash a banana with a fork.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 05:45:28 PM »
This is just another example of people thinking raising a baby needs to be expensive. 

Our girl started on avocados and bananas - we called it “ bananacado”, squash, and applesauce. Then we added store-bought rice cereal and baby crackers. 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 08:00:54 PM »
I suppose i got confused about the word “weaning” since my babies continued nursing when eating solids, they just reduced their milk consumption somewhat.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 09:31:43 AM »
That is insane. Although, I shamelessly buy the little fruit and veggie pouches for snacks for my kid. One every day at the babysitter keeps her satisfied between bottles and full meals...so about $5/week max. All other meals are regular food just chopped into small pieces, as she only likes to feed herself.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 10:04:38 AM »
That is insane. Although, I shamelessly buy the little fruit and veggie pouches for snacks for my kid. One every day at the babysitter keeps her satisfied between bottles and full meals...so about $5/week max. All other meals are regular food just chopped into small pieces, as she only likes to feed herself.

I have no issues with people who use pre-made baby food. We do it too, and I agree- the pouches make pretty good snacks between meals.

But $4.75 for a single serving of peas and zucchini? Are you kidding me? 

Apparently there are MULTIPLE baby food subscription boxes like this. People clearly have way too much money

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
Apparently in British English weaning just means learning to eat food, not giving up breastmilk or formula, which is what it means here in the US. Source: some baby book or other I read a while back.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 02:07:42 PM »
Today is now a success as I have learned something new!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 03:04:07 PM »
Is this where the stories about how expensive kids are these days comes from? ;)