Author Topic: Baby clothes (with picture)  (Read 6298 times)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
Baby clothes (with picture)
« on: June 02, 2014, 03:24:01 PM »
I feel the need to preface this with a statement: my girl is now 6 months old and we have only ever spent a total of $3.50 (at Value Village) to clothe or diaper her, because so many family/friends sent us their old baby girl stuff.  And I'm eternally grateful for it.  But....

My cousin sent this outfit to us.  I think it's pretty darn cute, actually, and this logo is so small that it took until the 4th wear before I noticed what this actually said on the sleeve.  (See picture.)  Gotta start 'em young, right?

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
Re: Baby clothes (with picture)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:34:44 PM »
Herp derp. Looks like you'll be able to remove them without damaging the clothes.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 04:15:36 PM »
Yeah, my mom suggested a seam ripper but I don't own one.  Laziness and lack of time have combined to keep me from asking my friend/neighbor to borrow hers.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »
Meh, she can't read, so I say leave it on.

If you really want it off, then you can just use nail scissors or the baby nail clipper to cut the thread (perhaps in more than one spot), then you can carefully remove.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 04:23:04 PM »
Gross. Antimustachian AND sexist.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 04:33:02 PM »
Gross. Antimustachian AND sexist.

Yeah, I think it's the sexist part of it that gets me, far more than the anti-mustachian part.  (Although that blows my mind - WTF, it's an item for a BABY!)

The $3.50 I said we spent on clothing for her?  We got a blue onesie with a dinosaur on it and a blue dress, which she can't even wear until she's about 1, to fight against all the pink and girly stuff.  (Props to the family and friends who sent us black, blue, red, yellow, and green things though!  She's got a more diverse and colorful wardrobe than I've seen on just about any other little girl.)

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 10:19:35 AM »
The $3.50 I said we spent on clothing for her?  We got a blue onesie with a dinosaur on it and a blue dress, which she can't even wear until she's about 1, to fight against all the pink and girly stuff.  (Props to the family and friends who sent us black, blue, red, yellow, and green things though!  She's got a more diverse and colorful wardrobe than I've seen on just about any other little girl.)

The massive gendering of children's stuff really annoys me as well. Girls stuff is all pink and purple, no matter what it is. Boys is all read and blue. We try to fight the trends where possible, but now that my daughter is 3 it's getting pretty hard. It seems easier to find unisex stuff for kids when they're smaller.

The other problem is that my daughter has recently decided pink is her favourite colour, much to the consternation of both her parents.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 01:52:33 PM »

The massive gendering of children's stuff really annoys me as well. Girls stuff is all pink and purple, no matter what it is. Boys is all read and blue. We try to fight the trends where possible, but now that my daughter is 3 it's getting pretty hard. It seems easier to find unisex stuff for kids when they're smaller.

The other problem is that my daughter has recently decided pink is her favourite colour, much to the consternation of both her parents.

Tell yourself this is because she is independent enough to embrace her personal choices even if they might mislead those inclined to stereotype into thinking she is stereotypical. It could even be true. :-)

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 09:56:28 AM »

Tell yourself this is because she is independent enough to embrace her personal choices even if they might mislead those inclined to stereotype into thinking she is stereotypical. It could even be true. :-)

I choose to believe that. If she really does like pink the best, that's her business and I'm not about to say anything disparaging about her preferences.  I imagine that with the parents she has, she'll be rejecting the conformity of being a girl liking pink eventually.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 11:26:36 AM »
Wow, you beat me on the baby clothes! I thought I was doing well because I only spent $50 on the first year (got a ton of hand-me-downs, lucky me!)

My sister had the same struggles as you as she tried to find clothes for her daughter that were not all pink and purple. It's pretty ridiculous.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 03:04:43 PM »
Wow, you beat me on the baby clothes! I thought I was doing well because I only spent $50 on the first year (got a ton of hand-me-downs, lucky me!)

My sister had the same struggles as you as she tried to find clothes for her daughter that were not all pink and purple. It's pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, I can't believe how little we've spent!  This includes diapering too, since several cousins had cloth diapered their kids and were looking for someone to give the old diapers to. 
I was also just thinking that our 9 month clothing is a little sparse and a cousin sent me a message yesterday to ask what size clothing she's in.  The cousin's son is a month younger but way, way taller and he's moving into 12 month stuff.  So she's sending me his 9 month clothing!
We've also benefited greatly from this being the first grandbaby on both sides.  We didn't have to buy the bassinet, or the crib now (grandparents are making one!), or a high chair (grandparents made that too).  We got all the baby stuff they saved from our childhoods (which we will, of course, save and pass along to siblings when/if they have kids).  The grandmothers have both been super excited to get little clothes for her (mostly used, thank goodness).  The grandma on my husband's side only had boys so she's RIDICULOUSLY excited to have the chance to buy girl items.  :)  We've talked her into toning down the pink.
The only reason our girl has been expensive at all was because of the medical bills.  :)